Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Green Mountain here I come.

If we get more than two feet I’m legitimately crossing this one off my bucket list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

If we get more than two feet I’m legitimately crossing this one off my bucket list.

haha. Yeah I have always thought about it. There have been a few storms that would have been doable. 5', very doable.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Welp, this weather system is going to drown NC for *checks notes* the entire week that we were supposed to be there, so we may be pulling the few reservations we already made and assessing a possible ski trip to Vermont later this year instead.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Whoa whoa whoa... you need, NEED, at least 100 mm wide skis or you will be eaten by the powder and lose your go pro.

Actual footage of me today.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh hey, snow thread! After not upgrading any of my setup since 2010, it's finally time... Just ordered a Jones Mind Expander 162cm for some surfy goodness. Too bad it won't be here until well after we get dumped on this week here in CO.

Quick question, does anyone by chance know if the straps/pads on newer Bent Metal bindings are compatible with older ones? I have a pair of 09/10 Bent Metal Biscuits that I absolutely love... The trays/plates/backs are all in great shape, but the pads are pretty ratted out, and I'm sure the straps could do with replacing. They're so drat good, I don't want to have to chuck them unless absolutely necessary.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Scarf posted:

Oh hey, snow thread! After not upgrading any of my setup since 2010, it's finally time... Just ordered a Jones Mind Expander 162cm for some surfy goodness. Too bad it won't be here until well after we get dumped on this week here in CO.

Quick question, does anyone by chance know if the straps/pads on newer Bent Metal bindings are compatible with older ones? I have a pair of 09/10 Bent Metal Biscuits that I absolutely love... The trays/plates/backs are all in great shape, but the pads are pretty ratted out, and I'm sure the straps could do with replacing. They're so drat good, I don't want to have to chuck them unless absolutely necessary.

Most strap and ladder systems are pretty interchangeable. You may need new ratchets and ladders to make sure they have the same teeth setup. Should be doable though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

spwrozek posted:

Most strap and ladder systems are pretty interchangeable. You may need new ratchets and ladders to make sure they have the same teeth setup. Should be doable though.

Good to know, thanks!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Try living in SLC and being addicted to steeps (the insane amount of pow doesn't hurt but really I just the fact there's no flats in lcc, albion excepted of course).

Like, where the hell else do you move from here? Snowbird is less than half an hour from my house and I live in a major metro area. Touring opportunities are literally right out my door. Now any time we talk about moving its just kinda like "So, where would we ski again? Oh and that's how many hours from where I'd work?"

The fact that utah is a red state and can be VERY stupid (though Mitt Romney aint so bad now eh) just makes it that much harder. Seattle would be great but... from an access perspective, there's literally nowhere we could go that would be better than where we already are. Especially when you factor in biking, hiking, camping, 4x4ing....

I'd like to end up interior BC but I have no clue what I'd do for work.

My work may have an expansion opening in West Jordan area of Salt Lake City and I was wondering if the skiing there was good enough to make up for the other aspects of the state? Is the skiing good enough that a very liberal atheist would be able to survive in a very conservative and religious state? Although I have heard that SLC itself and Park City are more diverse in many respects compared to the rest of the state.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I can not say enough good things about Park City and the religious aspect will only affect you when ordering drinks and it's like a state-run theocracy designed to keep your hangover from being bad enough to miss early lift access

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My work may have an expansion opening in West Jordan area of Salt Lake City and I was wondering if the skiing there was good enough to make up for the other aspects of the state? Is the skiing good enough that a very liberal atheist would be able to survive in a very conservative and religious state? Although I have heard that SLC itself and Park City are more diverse in many respects compared to the rest of the state.

SLC and PC are the DMZ aka "demormonized zone" which means that its only like 50% mormon instead of the 90% mormon the rest of the state has. I should add that this is literally just SLC and PC - suburbs like west jordan, draper etc are pretty uniformly mormon no matter where you are in utah.

It's still very frustrating because make no mistake about it, the LDS church absolutely controls the state govt and our federal politicians. And yea the second you step outside of the SL valley it's nothing but right wing nutjobs - and by that I mean the kind of people who erect billboards calling on Mitt Romney to resign for not supporting Trump.

That said yes imo the skiing absolutely makes up for the other aspects, and given how busy the skiing is, I am not the only one that has made that value judgement. I share your general religious and political outlook btw (at least in broad strokes.)

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 9, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

SLC and PC are the DMZ aka "demormonized zone" which means that its only like 50% mormon instead of the 90% mormon the rest of the state has. I should add that this is literally just SLC and PC - suburbs like west jordan, draper etc are pretty uniformly mormon no matter where you are in utah.

It's still very frustrating because make no mistake about it, the LDS church absolutely controls the state govt and our federal politicians. And yea the second you step outside of the SL valley it's nothing but right wing nutjobs - and by that I mean the kind of people who erect billboards calling on Mitt Romney to resign for not supporting Trump.

That said yes imo the skiing absolutely makes up for the other aspects, and given how busy the skiing is, I am not the only one that has made that value judgement. I share your general religious and political outlook btw (at least in broad strokes.)

I enjoy visiting SLC. I think it has enough going on to enjoy it if you're going to live there.

The MTBing is also awesome and I have been on some great hikes in the area as well.

I think if you've always wanted to live near outdoors poo poo, SLC isn't bad. You do gotta be able to deal with the Mormon poo poo though, which is hella creepy.

Probably visit first. Plane tickets are cheap to SLC usually

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Crossposting from the weather thread, hunker down Denver goons

https://twitter.com/WasatchSnow/status/1368928202702266375

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I lived in SLC long enough to put in a few hundred days on the slopes and now I live somewhere without mountains or snow really. I try at least once a week to convince my wife, who put in zero days, that the mormons are worth it for us to live that lifestyle again. I really enjoyed our time there and would move back in a heartbeat.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

kiimo posted:

Crossposting from the weather thread, hunker down Denver goons

https://twitter.com/WasatchSnow/status/1368928202702266375

They’ve revised the forecast up twice since I’ve been checking today. That said, we usually get a 2’+ storm every five years or so. :shrug:

also :getin:

edit: obligatory I obviously hope everyone stays safe, has power, and we don’t invade any countries three days after the storm.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Mar 10, 2021

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Scarf posted:

I've been looking at this board for the past few weeks as well trying to decide between the 150 or 154cm just for the trees when it dumps. I'd be interested in a follow up post after you get to ride it with what you think about the sizing and how it handles. I've never ridden a volume shifted board, only twins. My daily is now a 156 Arbor Coda which felt like I had to muscle it around through tighter tree lines just a bit more than I'm used to, having sized up from a bit softer 153. Either way I'm going to hold off until next year's model comes out because I'm just not into the graphics this year (the most important factor :imunfunny:)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

They’ve revised the forecast up twice since I’ve been checking today. That said, we usually get a 2’+ storm every five years or so. :shrug:

also :getin:

edit: obligatory I obviously hope everyone stays safe, has power, and we don’t invade any countries three days after the storm.

I will do my best

Varg posted:

I've been looking at this board for the past few weeks as well trying to decide between the 150 or 154cm just for the trees when it dumps. I'd be interested in a follow up post after you get to ride it with what you think about the sizing and how it handles. I've never ridden a volume shifted board, only twins. My daily is now a 156 Arbor Coda which felt like I had to muscle it around through tighter tree lines just a bit more than I'm used to, having sized up from a bit softer 153. Either way I'm going to hold off until next year's model comes out because I'm just not into the graphics this year (the most important factor :imunfunny:)

I picked up a Cardiff Powgoda split this season. I am digging it as a volume shift. floaty, playful, moves in the trees well. I think they are something you want in the quiver for sure.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Varg posted:

Will do!

I'd been surfing for the better part of a decade before I tried snowboarding... I gave riding a true twin a shot but it just never felt "right." A few years back I shifted my old 06 159 Salomon Forecast to a more directional setup, narrowed my stance, and started riding +/+. Even on a stiff rear end board like the Forecast, it felt more like surfing.

I can't fuckin wait.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Yeah I’m about to set up my old Sick Stick which is very surfy and fun but normally ride a true twin full rocker. Definitely something to be said for those boards.

E: this is beginning to seem suspicious

https://youtu.be/7hGbRRLGHdU

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 10, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
jesus christ. We're flying in to Gunnison next Thursday and driving to Crested Butte. Should I be worried? How's that drive?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 10, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

jesus christ. We're flying in to Gunnison next Thursday and driving to Crested Butte. Should I be worried? How's that drive?

It's not going to be nearly as bad in the mountains. Also the drive is quite easy (and scenic!)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eejit posted:

It's not going to be nearly as bad in the mountains. Also the drive is quite easy (and scenic!)

Does Estes Park count as the mountains

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eejit posted:

Sounds great. A few weeks back I rented a Camry and ended up stuck behind a bunch of cars right around Red Rock that couldn't get up on the way to Vail. I told myself I would get something with 4WD next time.

I rented another Camry. :v:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is Estes Park in the mountains? Yes. Is Estes Park in the Mountains? Nah, not really.

Varg posted:

Get the 150 unless there's a smaller model. If you went from 153-156 and are feeling like that's too much board for the trees you don't want the 154. The volume shifted boards ride 10-15cm longer that their size. I'm on a 154 Yes Optimistic and my other freeride boards are all 161+ (aside from my Salomon Derby Snake which is a volume shifted 151).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Who is excited for EPIC changing EVERYTHING! March 23rd, mark your calendars lol.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Who is excited for EPIC changing EVERYTHING! March 23rd, mark your calendars lol.

IKON not wait to ski at Copper/Steamboat next year!

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Has anyone swapped old liners into new shells? I’ve typically been a one boot a decade type so no experience in this realm. Current liners are molded, custom footbed, fit nicely. Especially if I was getting a boot from the same manufacturer with the same last, any reason I couldn’t just move my liners over?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ought ten posted:

Has anyone swapped old liners into new shells? I’ve typically been a one boot a decade type so no experience in this realm. Current liners are molded, custom footbed, fit nicely. Especially if I was getting a boot from the same manufacturer with the same last, any reason I couldn’t just move my liners over?

You can try, probably will work. Might need some adjustments, but if like you can put an Intuition liner in basically any shell, you should be able to move liners between boots. Don't forget that fit issues might be shell issues as well.

At worst, you just end up having to gently caress with the new liners and should be able to keep the footbeds

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I shoved old Salomon liners that fit my feet into scarpa shells and they’re working pretty good. Touring long days without pain and ski pretty well too. I’m a cheapskate though and they’re both old pairs of boots so I don’t know how it compares to a brand new well fitted setup.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
That’s good news because I love my BD liners, I guess the new boots would have to have room for the Boa knob though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I can’t wait to see if they’re going to make things better or worse for everyone!!!!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

I can’t wait to see how they’re going to make things worse for everyone!!!!

FTFY

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Squaw was excellent today. I think we might be entering the part of the season where a lot of people sorta stop thinking about skiing, but the skiing can still be really good. Hooray!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

When the sun starts hitting Portland is the best time to ride Hood.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Saw this and was confused. Checked my email and the email from epic is literally quoted in full by you. I imagine they have purchased or signed with 2 new resorts and thus are increasing prices by 200 bucks. That is my (hopefully pessimistic) first impression.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Saw this and was confused. Checked my email and the email from epic is literally quoted in full by you. I imagine they have purchased or signed with 2 new resorts and thus are increasing prices by 200 bucks. That is my (hopefully pessimistic) first impression.

I am going with keeping reservations and loving over locals somehow more. Got to make it more elite with minimal lift lines. And the price goes up double.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
They're going to take away the 20% discount they offered on food this season when they didn't actually serve any food other than pre-packaged meals.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, gently caress Vail.
https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/03/10/vail-ski-patrol-bonuses/amp/

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Seriously vail is the loving worst.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We can't make compensation payments that would breach the collective bargaining agreement would be a legit excuse but the fact that they are working without a contract makes Vail's excuse completely laughable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
With the exception of the back bowls, Vail is pretty boring. The town included...

But what I can't understand is why people ride Beaver Creek... I rode there on a buddy-pass a few seasons ago (which was still like $125 I think?) and the only thing I can remember about the entire day is thinking, "man, I'd be loving pissed to pay $200 for this." My friends informed me that they purposefully try to price-out the "riff raff" and keep the crowds small.