Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've said it before, but I'm gonna make the bold declaration that the P4 anime is arguably a better way to experience the original than playing the game.

P4G has like maybe one good episode, and no one should watch anything in it except the Narukami vs Adachi fight, especially after they both functionally run out of SP. Ideally as a clip on Youtube, so you can just skip to it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I was told that the ideal way to experience the anime was to google "persona 4 anime funny" and watch the clips, and I can't say it was bad advice.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

everyone posted:

:words: about the P4 anime

Noted. If I'm being honest, I have a HUGE surplus of free time on my hands. I'm 5 episodes into the OG one and will probably watch Golden as well after I'm done because lol what else am I gonna do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's a lot of great comedy in the P4 anime but I think it also handles some of the more emotionally touching scenes really well, too. The summer vacation two-parter is really great, and the episode that condenses Nanako and Dojima's social links together hurt my heart in exactly the way it was meant to.

It also adapts a couple of the fights in really clever ways--specifically, turning Shadow Mitsuo and Izanami into fights that really highlight Yu Narukami's inner conflict and the deep loneliness he actually feels. It was really effective!

I also think it's a pretty smart choice to not have the characters do any of the fighting themselves, but instead have all of the fighting done by personas. It lets the animation focus on making the personas fighting look good, while also freeing up the persona-using characters to spend most of the fights having conversations or dealing with their personal struggles.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Harrow posted:

I also think it's a pretty smart choice to not have the characters do any of the fighting themselves, but instead have all of the fighting done by personas. It lets the animation focus on making the personas fighting look good, while also freeing up the persona-using characters to spend most of the fights having conversations or dealing with their personal struggles.

I have really liked this detail as well.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

It also adapts a couple of the fights in really clever ways--specifically, turning Shadow Mitsuo and Izanami into fights that really highlight Yu Narukami's inner conflict and the deep loneliness he actually feels. It was really effective!

That sounds interesting. I don't remember a lot of exploration about Yu in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

That sounds interesting. I don't remember a lot of exploration about Yu in the game.

There really isn't any. He's pretty much a blank slate in the game. While I think P5 does a lot with mannerisms and what sorts of dialog options are available to give Joker some characterization, P4 doesn't really do that with the protagonist to the same degree.

The P4 anime plays with that really effectively. It turns the nameless silent protagonist into Yu Narukami, extremely deadpan weirdo, and it leads to a lot of great comedy. Then it starts to actually characterize him a bit starting with Shadow Mitsuo. Spoilers for the rest of the anime below:

Yu, in the anime, is a deeply lonely person who feels incredibly lucky to have formed all the close friendships that he has in P4. But he worries that, as soon as there isn't some external force keeping them together, everyone will just abandon him. He feels like he's nobody, just an empty shell coasting through life who has temporarily found meaning. The anime doesn't get explicitly meta at all, but Yu struggles a lot with feeling "empty" in a way that feels like it's playing with the idea that, in the game, he is just an empty vessel for the player. The Shadow Mitsuo fight has him dealing with that loneliness and emptiness and coming out the other side. Then at the very end, with Izanami, they actually have Yu face his own Shadow and acknowledge that he is terrified of going home and being without his friends, and he gains Izanami-no-Okami by realizing that he'll never truly be alone now and accepting his Shadow.

The P4 anime does some really great comedy with Yu, but I think the way it actually makes him a real character beyond that is underappreciated, and it's one of the reasons I don't think the P5 anime is nearly as good--it doesn't even try to do anything like that with Joker. To a degree it doesn't have to do as much--Joker already has some characterization in the game--but it also doesn't really play up the in-game personality traits that are hinted at.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Meanwhile I understand the P5 manga is actually pretty good because it dives more into each character's personality, including Joker's

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One more thing I really like about the P4 anime is how each new persona Yu gets is tied to a new bond he forms--like each arcana is tied to one persona, most of the time. This leads to some cool fight scenes where he rapidly switches personas and it leans on the idea that he's leaning on all of the important bonds he's formed to get through. It's neat.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Anime Yu lists his favorite things to do and hobbies as “Changing things and fusing things”

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

One more thing I really like about the P4 anime is how each new persona Yu gets is tied to a new bond he forms--like each arcana is tied to one persona, most of the time. This leads to some cool fight scenes where he rapidly switches personas and it leans on the idea that he's leaning on all of the important bonds he's formed to get through. It's neat.

This is something that they started to do mechanically in P5R in part with Persona traits on this and I hope that P6 expands on this. For me the four that really stand out are Attis (Hanged Man), Maria (Faith), Vohu Mannah (Councillor), and Futsunushi (Magician)

Attis, the Hanged Man ultimate is of course a bonus from maxing out Iwai. The key thing about Attis in P5R is that the persona trait allows the ability to use ambush-only skills under normal conditions. There's only one ambush-only skill worth talking about, but it's amazing. Thermopylae is essentially a full triple buff (or heat riser) for the entire party for the same cost as Heat Riser. This means that just as you go to Iwai to kit out your party you go to the Iwai persona once you have it to buff the party.

Maria, the Faith ultimate is the persona you get for maxing out Yoshizawa use when your back is to the wall, thanks to a ridiculous collection of unique skills. 40% hp and 22SP recovery at the start of your turn, a unique party wide Samarecam, and Salvation on the skill list. There's only one time I can think of in the game when your back is to the wall and you're rescued by a single person other than as an Awakening - in the intro.

Vohu Mannah, the Councillor ultimate is the persona you get for maxing out Maruki. And, when fused from a Hope Diamond, thanks to its trait it's the persona I use to start all my fights and change away from in turn 1. In other words it's a tempting choice but one that I reject in each fight. The trait extends all self-buffs by two turns - and the Hope Diamond allows me to give it all three Auto-Ma skills so the entire party gets Heat Riser for the first five turns - more than enough for any non-boss fight. It also has Invigorate 3, and Hope Diamond has Invigorate 2 for a 12SP recovery at the start of the fight. And of course it has Salvation.. And when you itemise the ultimate of the councillor persona it gives a gun to the person in dire need of counselling Akechi

Futsunushi, the Magician ultimate is the persona you can get for maxing out Morgana, your first teacher about the Metaverse. And it is the other great choice for a starter persona (when fused from a Hope Diamond) because its trait gives you a free charge/concentrate on the first turn. It's also a persona you immediately fuse because it's required for Yoshitsune with the best physical skill in the game - and Yoshitsune should inherit its trait so the Morgana persona leads to another core party member.

Others don't work so well at all - could someone explain to me why Ryuji's ultimate Persona is Psi-primary?

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

I haven't watched any of the anime versions, but when I played through P4G on PC, I had this mod installed : https://gamebanana.com/sounds/49693 and it replaced Marie's Phase 1 music with Just Like the Wind and it was amazing. It fit so well, I forgot it was part of the mod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW7ZtcAHRpQ

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

neonchameleon posted:

Others don't work so well at all - could someone explain to me why Ryuji's ultimate Persona is Psi-primary?

He's really Psi-ched to see you.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Strikers doesn't really conflict with Royal, it just also doesn't acknowledge it. It's like how Persona 4 Arena didn't have anything from Persona 4 Golden in it, but in the end, both were considered canon. In the long run, it's probably safest to consider both Royal and Strikers as canon, and any inconsistencies that brings up are pretty easy to handwave.

Ultimax more or less 'confirms' Golden though since Marie shows up (albeit only as DLC). I also 'want' to say it makes saving Chidori potentially canon? Junpei has a daydream of proposing to Chidori and one of his win quotes has him basically saying how strong his love for her is, both of which are... a bit more concerning if she was dead. Heck, the necklace he wears in his new outfit is from her favourite brand.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ultimax more or less 'confirms' Golden though since Marie shows up (albeit only as DLC). I also 'want' to say it makes saving Chidori potentially canon? Junpei has a daydream of proposing to Chidori and one of his win quotes has him basically saying how strong his love for her is, both of which are... a bit more concerning if she was dead. Heck, the necklace he wears in his new outfit is from her favourite brand.

Or it could be that her memory keeps him going. But I like the saving angle more. My hope for the hypothetical Persona 5 Arena is we get every Phantom Thief in it from both Royal and Strikers.

Arguably the only issue in Strikers is two members being missing, but the reasons for that are fairly easy. Yoshizawa at the end of Royal mentions travelling for international competitions over the next few months, and Akechi is either dead or hiding/rehab.

I think Strikers even mentions Royal once or twice, it at least acknowledges something happened.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Strikers was developed concurrently with Royal, so any mentions of it are likely either coincidences or added by a translation team.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

ajkalan posted:

He's really Psi-ched to see you.

For real?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are mentions in Strikers that could refer to either something from vanilla or something from Royal and it isn't quite specific enough to be like "Royal didn't happen." It's a coincidence, not intentional vagueness, but it mostly goes to show that they don't really conflict meaningfully in a way that would require one to be non-canon.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, I think my bet is that if there's ever another game that's post-Strikers or a Strikers 2 or something, I would be surprised if it didn't add Yoshizawa. The only real things that would make Royal not quite mesh with Strikers is that they both treat a few details of the Metaverse differently, but I think it's easily within "can be handwaved away in a potential sequel" range.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 11, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I think the only potential real narrative differences from Royal/Strikers are the future plans the gang brings up at the end of Royal, but the only ones that stick out to me are Ryuji getting treatment for his leg and Ann going for more overseas modelling gigs, both of which can be solved in a single 'so that's why we're here' line.

I think a Persona 5 Arena is very likely, but despite me liking Persona 4 Arena a lot, I'm... a little burned out by the P4 gang so I hope they're not included. We had years of Persona 4 Arena, Persona Q(2), Dancing All Night, BBTAG...

Let the poor guys rest. I'm not even sure if Yuri Lowenthal pulls off Yosuke consistently now, but I didn't play BBTAG.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

What would the Phantom Thieves' insulting-yet-brutally-honest titles be for P5 Arena?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd love to see Persona 5 Arena. Yoshizawa, Sophie, and Wolf would be really fun to play in a fighting game, too, so a fighting game featuring the full casts of P5 + Royal + Strikers would be a blast. They could add a handful of the P4 gang and maybe even a couple of the now late-20s P3 characters could show up, but focusing on the P5 characters would be a solid roster.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah I think the only potential real narrative differences from Royal/Strikers are the future plans the gang brings up at the end of Royal, but the only ones that stick out to me are Ryuji getting treatment for his leg and Ann going for more overseas modelling gigs, both of which can be solved in a single 'so that's why we're here' line.

I think a Persona 5 Arena is very likely, but despite me liking Persona 4 Arena a lot, I'm... a little burned out by the P4 gang so I hope they're not included. We had years of Persona 4 Arena, Persona Q(2), Dancing All Night, BBTAG...

Let the poor guys rest. I'm not even sure if Yuri Lowenthal pulls off Yosuke consistently now, but I didn't play BBTAG.

Yosuke sounds a little... off in BBTAG. I think the English dub in general in BBTAG isn't super well directed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws6Wr5iqYwY

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I can't really think of an honest epithet that would insult Yusuke unless you imply something about artistic integrity.

They'd probably just call him some manner of starving artist.

Morgana had better be something like 'Monster Cat'.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ApplesandOranges posted:

"The Cat Who Is A Cat And Is Nothing Other Than A Cat"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of voice actors not being able to really pull off their old characters anymore, I wonder if they'd recast Yukari in a hypothetical Persona 3 remake. Michelle Ruff can't really pull off Yukari anymore. She just sounds like Kawakami in Persona 3 Dancing, and when I went back and watched some Persona 3 scenes, Yukari really did sound more youthful and less... well, like Kawakami.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually if they include Kanji, would that be the first Persona game where Matt Mercer talks to himself? We've had I think one other instance of this with Johnny Yong Bosch.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can't really think of an honest epithet that would insult Yusuke unless you imply something about artistic integrity.

They'd probably just call him some manner of starving artist.

The artist starving for inspiration - Yusuke

The iron fist of the phantom thieves - Makoto

The Monster Cat born from Mementos - Morgana

Coffee Shop Charity Case - Joker

Momma’s delinquent disappointment - Ryuji

Kitty-woman - Ann

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'The Woman Who's Definitely Gotten Enough Screentime' - Haru

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lord_Magmar posted:

The artist starving for inspiration - Yusuke

The iron fist of the phantom thieves - Makoto

The Monster Cat born from Mementos - Morgana

Momma’s delinquent disappointment - Ryuji

Kitty-woman - Ann

The NEET Pharaoh of the Cyberverse - Futaba

Debonair Demolition Derby Driver of Death - Haru

Pancake Hitman - Akechi

The Gymnast Who Does Splits With Her Personality - Kasumire

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Haru Who? - Haru

Funky Valentine posted:

:aaaaa:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 11, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I did think of one for Futaba but it was super dark, and Haru I struggled with but I think it would have to be food related.

Didn’t do any of the other members because too many of the good options are spoiler references for Royal or Strikers.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Funky Valentine posted:

Pancake Hitman - Akechi

The second coming of the Pancake Prince surely.

Honestly I’d want Akechi to have something similar to Naoto’s one. 200 IQ Killer Defective (300 IQ Killjoy Detective).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lord_Magmar posted:

The second coming of the Pancake Prince surely.

Honestly I’d want Akechi to have something similar to Naoto’s one. 200 IQ Killer Defective.

Egocentric Pancake Dick

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oh, I just had two good ones for the Strikers additions

The wolf grown long in the tooth - Zenkichi.

And

The heartless companion - Sophia

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

These are all very good

Lord_Magmar posted:

Funky Valentine posted:

These especially

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 11, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

I did think of one for Futaba but it was super dark, and Haru I struggled with but I think it would have to be food related.

Didn’t do any of the other members because too many of the good options are spoiler references for Royal or Strikers.

What was the one you thought up for Futaba?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

What was the one you thought up for Futaba?

Suicidal Shut-in seeking oblivion.

I did say it was super dark. Does kind of work with the way that the Persona 4 ones were references to their Shadow Selves.

Also, to round it out with the last Persona user in Persona 5 Gentle Madman grasping for salvation - Maruki

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 11, 2021

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Have they confirmed they're working on a P5A or is it just something we're expecting to happen?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maruki in a fighting game would be kinda wild.

Harrow posted:

Speaking of voice actors not being able to really pull off their old characters anymore, I wonder if they'd recast Yukari in a hypothetical Persona 3 remake. Michelle Ruff can't really pull off Yukari anymore. She just sounds like Kawakami in Persona 3 Dancing, and when I went back and watched some Persona 3 scenes, Yukari really did sound more youthful and less... well, like Kawakami.

Akihiko should still work, as would Mitsuru (Tara Platt is kinda timeless). Aigis is probably fine? I'm kinda ambivalent on Karen Stressman anyway. Ken is probably a wobbly role, but he's older now and sounded fine in Ultimax. Junpei would probably more have issues with his VA being kinda scum than anything.

The P4 cast has gone through so many shuffles that the only OG ones left are Yu, Yosuke and Yukiko.

Badger of Basra posted:

Have they confirmed they're working on a P5A or is it just something we're expecting to happen?

It's something we're expecting, but they've milked most other usual avenues for them (rhythm game, five hundred collabs, Etrian Odyssey, Mussou). Unless we're going into weird 'Cooking Mama' style games a fighting game seems the logical next step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Badger of Basra posted:

ArcSys stated Persona 5 Arena was in consideration based on the sales of BBTAG. We’ll likely be certain after GG Strive comes out, as it would be the next big project if it’s going to happen.

If nothing else, P5A is one of the trademark/domains/whatever’s that Atlus claimed alongside P5R and P5S shortly after the global release of Persona 5.