Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

The Paparazzi Championship Series skits were a fever dream. I watched TNA on and off from like 2005 until someone drew a dick on Samoa Joe's face. There was a lot of really dumb poo poo storyline-wise but the X-Division matches were consistently good. I thought Christian was pretty good at first as well. I remember when Don West turned heel. It's amazing they're still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GenghisTron posted:

Couple of questions - I heard ImpactPLUS does not have all the episodes of the old TNA stuff, is this true? I was thinking of watching through what people say are the good years, 05-09, is this also correct?

The "good years" of TNA are January of 2005 through June of 2006. 2007, 8 and 9 are very bad years except for the fall of 2009. Some of the worst in wrestling history.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Destroy My Sweater posted:

The Paparazzi Championship Series skits were a fever dream. I watched TNA on and off from like 2005 until someone drew a dick on Samoa Joe's face.

This feels like the start of a Scorsese film.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Paparazzi Championship Series skits were a fever dream. I watched TNA on and off from like 2005 until someone drew a dick on Samoa Joe's face. There was a lot of really dumb poo poo storyline-wise but the X-Division matches were consistently good. I thought Christian was pretty good at first as well. I remember when Don West turned heel. It's amazing they're still around.

I'd say this is pretty accurate. They got a bad rap IMO. I'd say between when they got on Spike to the dick on Samoa Joe's face it was... something to watch. Not saying it's good, but I remember a ton of moments from those years and I remember pretty much nothing from WWE during that time. There is good stuff and there is odd stuff and bad stuff, but I remember never being bored.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

The "good years" of TNA are January of 2005 through June of 2006. 2007, 8 and 9 are very bad years except for the fall of 2009. Some of the worst in wrestling history.

This. And that 18 month period is good mostly because the booking is dirt simple. Like "Guy X has the belt; I, Guy Y, wish to have the belt, we will have a fight" simple. And because the people involved are all really good workers, it works.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Gaz-L posted:

This. And that 18 month period is good mostly because the booking is dirt simple. Like "Guy X has the belt; I, Guy Y, wish to have the belt, we will have a fight" simple. And because the people involved are all really good workers, it works.

It basically correlates with the time Russo wasn't there to Russo it up, right?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is Shota/Shooter Umino still stuck on Terf Island and if so is there any plans to bring him back, how long do young lion excursions last?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I really don't know what's going on with Shooter. If he's still stuck in the UK you'd think that RevPro would be using him now that they're running again, but his last march was almost exactly 12 months ago. And it can't just be travel since O-Khan was also working RevPro and NJPW got him back in the country.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Royal Updog posted:

This feels like the start of a Scorsese film.

lmao it does

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I think a big problem with TNA is that nobody really got over. Like, even something good like Booker T doing his own commentary involves making the younger guys look pretty stupid:

https://twitter.com/IandrewDiceClay/status/1148712386888683525

I feel like the only non-WWE talent they really tried to protect to any significant degree were AJ and Joe. I also feel like there was a lot of buzz about the women's division at the time but everything I remember about it is bad (the Sarah Palin parody character, etc).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

shota doesn't like wrestling that much

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think a big problem with TNA is that nobody really got over. Like, even something good like Booker T doing his own commentary involves making the younger guys look pretty stupid:

https://twitter.com/IandrewDiceClay/status/1148712386888683525

I feel like the only non-WWE talent they really tried to protect to any significant degree were AJ and Joe. I also feel like there was a lot of buzz about the women's division at the time but everything I remember about it is bad (the Sarah Palin parody character, etc).

I think that boils down to vaguely recalling the admittedly very good Gail/Kong series.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I also feel like there was a lot of buzz about the women's division at the time but everything I remember about it is bad (the Sarah Palin parody character, etc).

It was bad but they had one. The bar was still pretty low at the time.

Dawgstar posted:

I think that boils down to vaguely recalling the admittedly very good Gail/Kong series.

Also this.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Is Impact Wrestling generally considered a separate company from TNA, or is that just a thing from people who want to distance themselves from the stink of TNA as much as possible?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Is Impact Wrestling generally considered a separate company from TNA, or is that just a thing from people who want to distance themselves from the stink of TNA as much as possible?

TNA the company founded in 2002 is dead. TNA Entertainment was folded and the current company Impact Ventures was sold to Anthem during the complex series of moves made to fund tapings and shut out Aroluxe and then Billy Corgan during the sale process.

But Impact is TNA.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MassRafTer posted:

TNA the company founded in 2002 is dead. TNA Entertainment was folded and the current company Impact Ventures was sold to Anthem during the complex series of moves made to fund tapings and shut out Aroluxe and then Billy Corgan during the sale process.

But Impact is TNA.

Huh, I didn't know it was that elaborate. So is Jarrett out? I assume you just made up the name "Aroluxe" for fun.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

jarrett and dixie are both out, right? that was the whole "big change"?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jarrett’s been on the WWE creative team for about a year or so now.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

So is Jarrett out?

He currently works for the WWE as part of their booking team, such as it is, so yeah.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Vagabundo posted:

He currently works for the WWE as part of their booking team, such as it is, so yeah.

Literally lol for both sides. What a story I missed!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The wwf also has this core of former TNA people (Abyss, Sonjay Dutt, Jarrett, AJ Styles even) that we can only assume are part of the reason the wwf continued past lovely WCW into full TNA.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They also have Jeremy Borash but they’re not letting him do any of the things he’s good at.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They also have Jeremy Borash but they’re not letting him do any of the things he’s good at.
literally the same can be said for every single piece of talent on the roster

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know, but compared to the other backstage TNA acquisitions, Borash actually has something to offer.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It will always have the TNA stank no matter how many name or ownership changes it goes through

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know that Jeremy Borash is a legit talented guy both in front of and behind the camera, but when I see him and he speaks I can't not hear, "Daffney, I'm afraid you opened the strip tease box. Now you must go to the ring and perform a strip tease."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn’t it Russo that demanded she strip and Terry Taylor that demanded she do the spot that ended her career?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Jarrett’s been on the WWE creative team for about a year or so now.

I knew/know this information, but I still don't understand any part of this sentence.

Edit: Actually, given the ratings and lovely product, maybe I do

Red fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 12, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1glitch0 posted:

Huh, I didn't know it was that elaborate. So is Jarrett out? I assume you just made up the name "Aroluxe" for fun.

Jarrett sold his remaining stock in 2016 but has been involved in legal drama with Anthem after the ill fated GFW merger and deletion of the fabled GFW video library.

I am not sure if Dixie Carter sold her small minority share but she did step down from her face saving position on the board.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

karmicknight posted:

The wwf also has this core of former TNA people (Abyss, Sonjay Dutt, Jarrett, AJ Styles even) that we can only assume are part of the reason the wwf continued past lovely WCW into full TNA.

Now that you mention it, yeah, that does make a lot of sense.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Vagabundo posted:

Now that you mention it, yeah, that does make a lot of sense.

It's mind-boggling to recall the time someone asked Vince on an investor call if he'd ever purchase TNA, and he just laughed in response. Yet, here we are.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he would offer 100 million for tna right now

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Who started using the Sharpshooter / Scorpion Deathlock first out of Sting and Hart, and was the second guy ripping on the first or was it just coincidence?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Saul Goode posted:

Who started using the Sharpshooter / Scorpion Deathlock first out of Sting and Hart, and was the second guy ripping on the first or was it just coincidence?

Sting who took it from Riki Choshu

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the original name of it is the scorpion hold too

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What are some poster's favorite entrances? Not someone's every night entrance but a big special that's been done?

I'm not entirely sure myself but I was watching Onita vs Chono in the barbwire deathmatch and drat those were a couple real good ones.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Scorpion Deathlock and Sharpshooter were both applied very differently when Sting and Bret Hart were the only mainstream wrestlers using them stateside. Nowadays the name of the hold is interchangeable.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheKingslayer posted:

What are some poster's favorite entrances? Not someone's every night entrance but a big special that's been done?

I'm not entirely sure myself but I was watching Onita vs Chono in the barbwire deathmatch and drat those were a couple real good ones.

Nakamuras wk entrance with the dancers should have been extremely corny, but he was so effortlessly cool it looked ace

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

Kenny's Undertale tribute at WK13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Scorpion Deathlock and Sharpshooter were both applied very differently when Sting and Bret Hart were the only mainstream wrestlers using them stateside. Nowadays the name of the hold is interchangeable.

Riki Choshu called it something. Power Knuckle Hold doesn't sound right.