Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Debating picking up KoF 14 Ultimate while it’s on sale, with the caveat that I’ve only ever casually tooled around with the likes of 97, 98, 2002, 13 and enjoyed them without ever getting seriously into them.

What are the feelings on 14? Is it worth adding to my pile or should I just stick with the rotation of fightmans I’m already playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's the easiest one to learn, I'd say, so worth giving it a go, especially as the upcoming XV looks like it plays mostly the same as XIV.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Haha wow the Ultimate Edition on PS4 without even being on sale is cheaper than the base game on Steam come the hell on, SNK

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They're bizarrely dead-set on wrenching out those late, late, LATE buy dollars on PC for some reason.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

How's the playerbase in KOFXIV on PS4?

I know on PC it's pretty much discord, or at least so I've been told since I don't own it, and I presume it's similar on PS4 for the ultimate version

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

How's the playerbase in KOFXIV on PS4?

I know on PC it's pretty much discord, or at least so I've been told since I don't own it, and I presume it's similar on PS4 for the ultimate version

I'm told it's generally much more populated on PSN than on Steam but either way you're probably looking for matches on discord unless you're playing at prime time and get lucky.

That being said I can still sometimes find randoms in XIV on PC, but it's pretty rare.

Also KoFXIV has ALWAYS been overpriced considering how old it was when it launched on steam and rarely goes on sale, it loving sucks and I don't get it.

night slime
May 14, 2014
There's usually lobbies on PS4 at peak hours since the 15 announcements started coming out. I haven't been on in a month though, rollback announcement could have also motivated people to buy it, somewhat paradoxically.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

night slime posted:

There's usually lobbies on PS4 at peak hours since the 15 announcements started coming out. I haven't been on in a month though, rollback announcement could have also motivated people to buy it, somewhat paradoxically.

Ah cool

I never picked it up cause I didn't want to slog through the netcode, but the rollback XV pseudo announcement has got me wanting to learn KoF again

Maybe I'll just see if I can find people to play 2k2UM with for now since I don't have PS+ at the moment

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Fightcade's 98 and 2002 lobbies are also lively and surprisingly friendly. Everyone of all nations just chilling out playing kof and being non caustic. :unsmith: Though..I think some are surprised when playing an American isn't an instant win.

2kUM did the impossible for 2002 though. It no longer looks like fanmade mugen jank.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

https://twitter.com/scrubquotesx/status/1370010590798774276?s=21

The lengths people go to...

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

The lengths people go to...

Jesus christ this guy

https://twitter.com/HSheazo/status/1370012924178227203

N-NO, NEVER, I'll never buy the multiple avenues people have posted that are all cheap and better than being a wi-fi idiot for "miniscule differences" :hurr:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Powerlines are cool but what if you don't have a spare power socket for them?

I think you should try to get a wired connection for FGs but sometimes it's understandably a big hassle or you depend on other people to get it done and you have to make do with wifi.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dias posted:

I think you should try to get a wired connection for FGs but sometimes it's understandably a big hassle or you depend on other people to get it done and you have to make do with wifi.

Then those wifi players should know not to enter Ethernet-only tournaments and shouldn’t be upset when wired players if given a choice decide against accepting their challenges

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yeah it sucks rear end, but if you only have wi-fi to play some online with, sometimes that's just the breaks, but the main problem is reading further in that person's really dumb posts, they keep trying to pretend like it's only a totally tiny difference between wi-fi and any other option, when assumedly these other options would actually work for them, but noooooo, feels fine on my end, I've wormed into tournaments with my wi-fi and I never noticed a thing, why should I care (When it was probably much less good for the other person) to fix it and DBFZ tells me it's only two frames after all! (lmao)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gutcruncher posted:

Then those wifi players should know not to enter Ethernet-only tournaments and shouldn’t be upset when wired players if given a choice decide against accepting their challenges

Oh, that person in specific is dumb, I just also find silly that people always go "there is no excuse", haha.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

N-NO, NEVER, I'll never buy the multiple avenues people have posted that are all cheap and better than being a wi-fi idiot for "miniscule differences" :hurr:

there is a difference between posting "wi-fi is not great and you should avoid it as much as you can" and calling people "wi-fi idiots". one improves the community and the other just convinces another person that the FGC is toxic

making it personal is like a solid 50% of the reason people get heated up about this topic

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 13, 2021

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait, so these devices transmit wired-level quality connections wirelessly from one to the other?? I don't totally get it, but as someone whose router is on the other side of the house from their gaming consoles, this could be the kinda thing I've been looking for for a while.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Wait, so these devices transmit wired-level quality connections wirelessly from one to the other?? I don't totally get it, but as someone whose router is on the other side of the house from their gaming consoles, this could be the kinda thing I've been looking for for a while.

I'm pretty sure it's just an ethernet over power in a fancy box.

Edit: unless I'm being wooshed.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Worse than Ethernet but way better than wifi. It transmits the signals through your homes wiring.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They dont work very well if every room is on a different circuit sadly.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Jazerus posted:

there is a difference between posting "wi-fi is not great and you should avoid it as much as you can" and calling people "wi-fi idiots". one improves the community and the other just convinces another person that the FGC is toxic

making it personal is like a solid 50% of the reason people get heated up about this topic

The person in that post is a wi-fi idiot

Edit: maybe not from that original post that seems very "I don't have any other options" but if you expand the thread, they double triple quadruple down on wifi is actually fine and wired doesn't matter

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jazerus posted:

I mean if someone deserves being called a wi-fi idiot, it's the guy desperately arguing that wi-fi is actually just a miniscule difference compared to a wire or any other option, because after all DBFZ tells me it's only 2 frames man.

Yeah, I meant for people to click through onto that Rowlet picture guy's further posts from his first one there, cause they get bad fast.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Aw drat, oh well. For about 5 minutes there, I had hope!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

"I play across the atlantic ocean in DBFZ on wifi and only have 2 frames of delay" is the funniest most disprovable lie to die on the wifi hill for. I can't play across state lines in dbfz with 2 frames of delay with both players hardwired.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Aw drat, oh well. For about 5 minutes there, I had hope!

They still work, its just like not the broadband speed you are used to if it needs to go across circuits

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dias posted:

There are powerlines with passthrough sockets

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah, its not like as fast as ethernet but its def way better than using wifi, and less latency. I rent and have kids so i can't run wire throughout the place or run it up the stairs like a scrub

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Spuckuk posted:

There are powerlines with passthrough sockets

the once i listed are the poverty level ones. You can pay for to also have a wifi extender or passthrough on gucci models

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh yeah? So even over different circuits the connection would be better than wi fi?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Real hurthling! posted:

My problem, sadly. I still mean to try it at some point.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Oh yeah? So even over different circuits the connection would be better than wi fi?

if its built later than the 1970s you should have no issue in my experience, but it totally depends on your wiring

its worth a shot if you've been wifi slumming, they can always be returned and dont require any software setup. plug in, plus a button on both within 2 min and they sync.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Corbeau posted:

My problem, sadly. I still mean to try it at some point.

I had to do it for switch because switch wifi had like zero range in my house and when i finally got tired of the slow powerline speed i moved my dock to the main room plugged it into the router fo rreal and the speed went up over 10 times.

on the same circuit theres very little lost speed but going through the breaker box does something to gently caress it up somehow ianaee

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

if its built later than the 1970s you should have no issue in my experience, but it totally depends on your wiring

Our house I think was built in the 70s, so I don't know if it will work, because the modem is on the east side, but my setup is on the west side, with the breaker in the southwest corner, so I don't know for sure if the adapter will work or not.

We ended up getting a mesh system, and while I'm still on a wi-fi connection, the upside is that I think it finally fixed the issue where my internet connection is seemingly stable drops out when trying to download stuff. I was able to download Doom 2016 at like 20mbps without having to disconnect and reconnect to the wi-fi every two minutes. I still want to give the adapter a shot at some point, though.

I guess something I should ask is whether or not it matters that we use the xFi modem for internet connection, since (from what I remember) it doubles as both the modem and router. I ask because it occurs to me that even if I connected to via ethernet, isn't it still broadcasting wirelessly?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've heard the powerline ethernet things are a pretty drat nice replacement for wifi but I've also heard that they can cause some weird noise for audio electronics like guitar amps and stuff

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've heard the powerline ethernet things are a pretty drat nice replacement for wifi but I've also heard that they can cause some weird noise for audio electronics like guitar amps and stuff

I think one of the reviews for the adapters I read mentioned it gave them feedback or something on their PC speakers.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is anybody playing Garou on steam or on ps4? Garou is the poo poo and I want to at some point get some matches in with my boy Dong

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dias posted:

Oh, that person in specific is dumb, I just also find silly that people always go "there is no excuse", haha.

50 meters of cable is like 20 bux.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

They can also just be loving terrible, it's luck of the draw whether your setup is going to work as expected.

The scrubquotes account absolutely adores ragging on WiFi players and while I genuinely do understand the complaints, most of the time they're just being pissy towards people who cannot reasonably expect to understand what makes WiFi so lousy for fighting games specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

night slime
May 14, 2014
I think it's possible the people playing smash could be like 12-years-old and not understand what LAN cables are or even be allowed by their parents to put one across their home...not really a certainty that it's a 30-year-old guy being annoying.