Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, I’m only on chapter one, but I haven’t had any issue with boss fights. They’re challenging, and I scraped through a couple, but they’ve never felt unfair or unfun.

What difficulty are you on?

its not the difficulty, though i think gambler genuinely can get hosed
i think the counter system and the fact that new counters can appear mid battle means if i'm fighting bosses for the first time which i usually am, i think i've only wiped to one or two times, means i have to be very cautious about everything i do and can't be certain about anything

i think its just a taste thing but i prefer when all the cards are on the table, even if they're face down so to speak.
is there a way to reveal counters in game beside trial and error? if so i don't mind as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

is there a way to reveal counters in game beside trial and error? if so i don't mind as much

I don't think there is, but I also don't think the game really intends for you to change your strategy to avoid the counters in most cases, especially as you get later in the game and the counters get broader and broader- they're often just the way the bosses get any edge at all against your overpoweredness and you just have to power past them in turn. Granted this isn't particularly well conveyed

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Pollyanna posted:

Also freelancer is a perfectly good job and I challenge anyone to prove me wrong. :colbert:

I can't prove you wrong I just think it's boring as sin.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's unfortunate when an enemy has a counter but it's never lost the battle for me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't think there is, but I also don't think the game really intends for you to change your strategy to avoid the counters in most cases, especially as you get later in the game and the counters get broader and broader- they're often just the way the bosses get any edge at all against your overpoweredness and you just have to power past them in turn. Granted this isn't particularly well conveyed

Yeah, especially in the late game when bosses just straight up get a counter to any ability that gives them 1 BP. It's not a 100% fire rate, but it's frequent enough that regardless of what you do, there's no way to keep them from getting turn(s) in on you short of killing them outright.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Boss counters get pretty intense as you go. It's not so much "will this boss have a counter" and more "what does this boss counter, and how will that change with each phase."

If you look at it more as a way of giving the boss extra actions rather than punishing you for specific actions, it makes a lot of sense. I understand people who preferred BD1/Second's way of doing things, though, where bosses gained extra actions by pulling the kind of bullshit the player could pull, rather than by having counters. Two different ways of accomplishing the same thing in the end, basically.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm only in chapter 6 so I can't speak to the very endgame, but for me the counter system basically degenerated from a few early fights where avoiding the counters made things easier to completely ignoring them by the midgame. Maybe it will come back for the ball crunching endgame optional stuff, but by that point you would be so overpowered and optimized yourself that maybe not. Counters that do physical damage have a skill that cancels them out (kinda lame it's so mandatory but hey it works), +BP counters are basically just a fact of life, and magical counters can actually put some pressure on you but are also not that common.

Actually designing your party to avoid the counters for any given boss is maybe possible but so arduous in practice (especially when the counters change in each phase) that I just can't see it being what they had in mind for normal play.

It's a weirdly done mechanic to be sure, I don't see how anyone would prefer it over the BD1 style, but it kinda fades as an issue once you accept it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

maybe its rose coloured glasses but i remember enjoying a bunch of persona boss fights where my squad was up and running but the bosses could still challenge me and it sorta came down to key decisions on the individual turns and i had a good amount of information to make those decisions.
i've definitely won and lost battles based on recognisable decisions in a turn in BD2 but i'm usually just super cautious cause i have no idea whats gonna happen on the enemy turn or even my turn sometimes

I think that's probably mostly rose-colored glasses, because the Persona system (at least in Persona 5) is very straight-forward as long as you just stay buffed (and keep the enemy debuffed) constantly, and I was playing on Hard. I remember being challenged for the first couple Palaces, but after that just sort of steamrolling everything (ignoring the hardest NG+ bosses). Royal is a bit worse with this since you can heavily exploit Thermopylae due to traits.

In this I have to at least put more thought into building/equipping my characters.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pollyanna posted:

It's unfortunate when an enemy has a counter but it's never lost the battle for me.

The only "counter" that's ever made me just plain angry is "Reflect Physical Damage" because gently caress yoooouuuuuuu.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

The only "counter" that's ever made me just plain angry is "Reflect Physical Damage" because gently caress yoooouuuuuuu.

To be fair, that was literally the only thing stopping me from one-shotting the final fights since the reflected damage meant that I couldn't brave multiple giant hits together.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I like that they wanted to make it so you couldn’t always brute force every fight and had to come up with a strategy, but they did it in the most obnoxious way possible.

Counter-savvy is incredible though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

I couldn't even be angry because in a single turn I just annihilated myself and got a game over :pram:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'd think boss counters are less obnoxious if they were consistent. Not being a 100% proc (for the ones I've encountered so far anyway) means I still might try and sneak a spell or attack in there, or that on my first attempt I might not have even known it was a thing, like with the Berserker boss where I didn't get it like four times in a row and then dumped all my Black Mage's BP into a string of Blizzagas and the boss counter wiped my entire buffed up team halfway through. That's not a very fair way to present information to the player.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The berserker boss specifically marks the endpoint for having to care about counters that much I'd say, he's kind of at the intersection of being chonk af, probably not having all your options come online yet, and giving you another notable anti counter tool himself

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 12, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hammer Bro. posted:

It did not occur to me that you could do this.

Of course this is also one of those games where I'll spend all my time unlocking all the various jobs just in case I want to use them and by the time I have all of them fully unlocked I'll be done playing the game.

Imagine if this took the BotW approach and said, "Here are all the jobs and abilities. Go bongos."

Probably wouldn't retain people for as long but man would the discovery period be intense.

if they did that you'd have people in this thread still in the first area of Chapter 1 trying to grind out every job

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm only in chapter 6 so I can't speak to the very endgame, but for me the counter system basically degenerated from a few early fights where avoiding the counters made things easier to completely ignoring them by the midgame. Maybe it will come back for the ball crunching endgame optional stuff, but by that point you would be so overpowered and optimized yourself that maybe not. Counters that do physical damage have a skill that cancels them out (kinda lame it's so mandatory but hey it works), +BP counters are basically just a fact of life, and magical counters can actually put some pressure on you but are also not that common.

Actually designing your party to avoid the counters for any given boss is maybe possible but so arduous in practice (especially when the counters change in each phase) that I just can't see it being what they had in mind for normal play.

It's a weirdly done mechanic to be sure, I don't see how anyone would prefer it over the BD1 style, but it kinda fades as an issue once you accept it

You can guarantee avoiding counters by using the hilariously broken Beastmaster abilities, the only downside is having to farm the monsters you need but it seems like anything that casts either dark magic or light magic can do a 9999 on any enemy. Doing every battle with the aim of capturing as many monsters as possible does mitigate it a bit though, as well as making battles somewhat more challenging and engaging.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think what would really improve the bosses for me is the ability to stop and reset the encounter and change my builds without having to reload the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Your Computer posted:

I couldn't even be angry because in a single turn I just annihilated myself and got a game over :pram:

Ah see I've been in a "invincible tank, healer that babies said tank, support unit who spams debuffs/buffs, UNHOLY MURDER ENGINE :black101:" configuration since I got Shieldmaster, so reflect physical damage is just a "why can't I one-round you" speedbump.

It's still an annoying loving speedbump though. :v:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What I would like would be if you are maxed on your job rollover jp goes into your highest non maxed job

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Gloria has ascended beyond being able to be killed. :ssj:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Gloria has ascended beyond being able to be killed. :ssj:

:eyepop:

How do you set this up, out of curiosity

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

:eyepop:

How do you set this up, out of curiosity

Sands of Time (Stop immunity), Snappy Sash (Slow immunity), Ribbon (drat near every other status effect immunity), and the big one: two of these spoilerific babies:

There's a shield in the late game called the Bloody Shield that has a debilitating "-1 all elemental resists" penalty on it - wield it for 100 battles and it transforms into the Hero's Shield. Dual wielding them means +2 to all elemental resists, which is pure immunity.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason I'm not seeing Berserker in this list! Berserker is basically the job for killing trash mobs, at least relatively early on (I'm also in Chapter 3). Early on they have an AoE that costs BP to use, but later they get Level Slash which is a strong physical AoE.

(That being said, the flower mobs in that specific area are obnoxious and will frequently give a bunch of status effects to the character who uses a physical AoE on them)

Berserker gets the tools to ignore the status effects that’d matter.

fadam posted:

I have a ton of beasts in the bank but it doesn’t feel like the Beastmaster passive is doing anything, how does it work exactly?

Look at your stats compared to someone who isn’t a rank 12 beastmaster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Sands of Time (Stop immunity), Snappy Sash (Slow immunity), Ribbon (drat near every other status effect immunity), and the big one: two of these spoilerific babies:

There's a shield in the late game called the Bloody Shield that has a debilitating "-1 all elemental resists" penalty on it - wield it for 100 battles and it transforms into the Hero's Shield. Dual wielding them means +2 to all elemental resists, which is pure immunity.

What is this, FF6??

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kyrosiris posted:

Freelancer can remove Reflect Physical Damage with their reset ability, or at least you could on the shieldmaster fight, not sure if it's handled the same where you're at.

Edit: I think a thief primary can also steal Reflect Physical Damage too :getin:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

Harrow posted:

What is this, FF6??

Bloody Shield -> Hero's Shield is a Bravely series staple, though it is probably a FF6 reference specifically yeah.

Out of curiosity, when can you pick them up?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

LiefKatano posted:

Bloody Shield -> Hero's Shield is a Bravely series staple, though it is probably a FF6 reference specifically yeah.

Out of curiosity, when can you pick them up?

In FFVI it was Cursed Shield->Paladin Shield

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just beat the final boss. It was super cool, although maybe I should have waited to do the trial fights after beating it, because its not that difficult compared to some of those fights. I really did appreciate that by the end it could do attacks that just take away all of your resources and it was barely a problem

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah just finished up as well. Beat all the optional stuff apart from one fight I accidentally missed but I honestly can't be bothered with going back for it.

If the game was about half as long I'd have adored it. But by the end I was just very, very done and wanted it to be over.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just beat the final boss and that sucked lol. What a complete let down of a finale, I'm super bummed out by the Bravely Team. :smith:

Boss fight:
I made four bravebearers with freelance subclassed and used the artist 'bp skills cost 0 to use' ability and Nexus got literally no turns. Not a single one. I just held down brave and it died thanks to true grit and natural speed getting me out of -3 easily. Does it have cool attacks? I have no idea! Then when it died it just kinda farts and vanishes with no fanfare and that just sucked rear end.

Ending:
So who was the Nights Nexus, just some girl who got huge brained in a library I guess? Fount of Memories got mentioned as it wants the biggest brain in the universe but there's literally nothing else going on with it. It turned Edna into a statue so that's a thing it can do? Also who is Seth? You literally never find out where he came from originally or his accent or why he's 'the one they need' or whatever. They explain loving nothing about him and he just shows up back on shore with a smiling emoji and it ends. There's no main menu or title screen gimmick, no weird ringabel multiverse ship thing, nothing.
I can appreciate that it wants to be it's own thing but with how meta the first 3 games got having *nothing* just sucks rear end. Seth and Gloria are just the worst.

I still liked the game but man it's a massive step back narrative wise, I'm actually really bummed out by that.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
okay i beat the (ch6 spoilers) bard/beast/gambler/thief trial without much difficulty but the white mage/vanguard/ranger/red mage trial fight is just loving ridiculous. i'm just gonna say it, counters are a stupid mechanic and the endgame challenge fights in bd1 were infinitely better than this. i might just turn it down to easy because there's nothing fun or engaging about "lol the bosses get free bp every time you do literally anything".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just beat the final boss and that sucked lol. What a complete let down of a finale, I'm super bummed out by the Bravely Team. :smith:

Boss fight:
I made four bravebearers with freelance subclassed and used the artist 'bp skills cost 0 to use' ability and Nexus got literally no turns. Not a single one. I just held down brave and it died thanks to true grit and natural speed getting me out of -3 easily. Does it have cool attacks? I have no idea! Then when it died it just kinda farts and vanishes with no fanfare and that just sucked rear end.

Ending:
So who was the Nights Nexus, just some girl who got huge brained in a library I guess? Fount of Memories got mentioned as it wants the biggest brain in the universe but there's literally nothing else going on with it. It turned Edna into a statue so that's a thing it can do? Also who is Seth? You literally never find out where he came from originally or his accent or why he's 'the one they need' or whatever. They explain loving nothing about him and he just shows up back on shore with a smiling emoji and it ends. There's no main menu or title screen gimmick, no weird ringabel multiverse ship thing, nothing.
I can appreciate that it wants to be it's own thing but with how meta the first 3 games got having *nothing* just sucks rear end. Seth and Gloria are just the worst.

I still liked the game but man it's a massive step back narrative wise, I'm actually really bummed out by that.

also agree with pretty much everything here. like i know it would've been kinda lame if they'd just pulled the same twists as bd1 but the solution to that is absolutely not to just play every single trope completely straight.

i'm kinda wondering how much actual staff overlap there was between the first two games and bd2 because it feels like the work of an entirely different team that took literally zero notes from the previous team.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The producer from BD1 is also on BD2 as a co-producer, but every other key member including the writers are all new people. One of the writers has no other credited game on English Wiki, the other only has credit on one of the ditched extra bits of FF15.

I'm not looking at spoilers but it's definitely a huge shame that BD2 doesn't seem to be actually trying to do anything interesting with the standard "save the 4 crystals" story format like the first game did.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Inflammatory posted:

okay i beat the (ch6 spoilers) bard/beast/gambler/thief trial without much difficulty but the white mage/vanguard/ranger/red mage trial fight is just loving ridiculous. i'm just gonna say it, counters are a stupid mechanic and the endgame challenge fights in bd1 were infinitely better than this. i might just turn it down to easy because there's nothing fun or engaging about "lol the bosses get free bp every time you do literally anything".

also agree with pretty much everything here. like i know it would've been kinda lame if they'd just pulled the same twists as bd1 but the solution to that is absolutely not to just play every single trope completely straight.

i'm kinda wondering how much actual staff overlap there was between the first two games and bd2 because it feels like the work of an entirely different team that took literally zero notes from the previous team.

I can help with that fight.

So I beat it at level 54 on hard but the only reason it was even possible is because I realised that the Red mage only has two attacking elements, earth and wind. It's actually pretty trivial with the shields you have available (Typhoon Shield / Earth shield and the talismans / armour you have to make your party immune to both elements. (Two levels of resistance will do that). At that point you can pretty safely ignore him and just pour everything into pumping your defense as high as it will go and crippling the Ranger's offense. (Pictomancer/Bard works a treat)

I largely agree though, the way the game derives difficulty is by effectively punishing the player for daring to play the game which is very frustrating sometimes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God Chapter 5 boss character spoilers but they don't even tell you why Edna went crazy. You're told several times she loved humans but she came out went nutso and just started being evil because ??? Then she's just never really mentioned again outside one or two lines.

More I think about the story more bummed I get.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
oh my god i found the quest log. go into the travelogue and press x. it doesn't tell you about any quests you might've missed, but at least you can switch the active objectives.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It doesn’t tell you what quests you’ve already finished, either :shrug:

Edit: why bother numbering the side quests if you can’t see a list of them??? It makes no sense.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Natural 20 posted:

I can help with that fight.

So I beat it at level 54 on hard but the only reason it was even possible is because I realised that the Red mage only has two attacking elements, earth and wind. It's actually pretty trivial with the shields you have available (Typhoon Shield / Earth shield and the talismans / armour you have to make your party immune to both elements. (Two levels of resistance will do that). At that point you can pretty safely ignore him and just pour everything into pumping your defense as high as it will go and crippling the Ranger's offense. (Pictomancer/Bard works a treat)

I largely agree though, the way the game derives difficulty is by effectively punishing the player for daring to play the game which is very frustrating sometimes.

I beat every single one of the Asterisk Challenge fights on hard at levels 50-55 (because fighting them leveled me up). I also beat them them in exactly the same way: paralyze/sleep them all with Phantom/Salvemaker and whittle them down with whatever. The hardest ones were Dragoon and Arcanist (not in the same team) because they were immune to both Paralyze and Sleep and spammed all targeting attacks that could kill my entire party instantly. Luckily, reraise exists. Shieldmaster Specialty 1 also lets only one person die, but you still want reraise.

Anyway that's all. You can kill them all like that. I don't know what most of them do.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i agree with basically all the story complaints, but basically the deal with seth was

to get to where nights nexus' actual core was, you needed to cross the outer ocean. the Old Lady mentions that you can't traverse the outer oceans to other lands (which are described as lands beyond death) without someone from there. seth was a sailor from another world who died in a storm. because the barriers were weakening between worlds, the wind crystal was able to reach out and bring him back (either bring him back to life or make a zombie out of him, either or really) and basically bet on him being a good warrior of light, because it knew that if the champions of light were to really get rid of the nexus for good, they'd need someone fitting his description. thankfully it worked out that seth was down 2 clown and was good at fighting, and because he had all the necessary criteria when the time came the heroes were able to travel to the isle of nothingness when the time came.

this wasn't clearly communicated to the player, you are correct.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Inflammatory posted:

oh my god i found the quest log. go into the travelogue and press x. it doesn't tell you about any quests you might've missed, but at least you can switch the active objectives.

It tells you this all the time on the loading screens

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

God Chapter 5 boss character spoilers but they don't even tell you why Edna went crazy. You're told several times she loved humans but she came out went nutso and just started being evil because ??? Then she's just never really mentioned again outside one or two lines.

More I think about the story more bummed I get.

Yeah, Edna was a really big missed opportunity. Adelle talks about her a lot, and she's the driving force behind everything that goes on in the plot. And then we see her and she just kind of... disappears? We never hear about her again, we never dive into what happened, and all of the focus shifts immediately to the Night's Nexus.

I was convinced for a while that Edna was going to turn out to have been the old Faerie Queen, especially since the 4th member of the previous warriors of light was never shown in the flashbacks, but that didn't happen. I mean, I liked the reveal about the old boat lady being the faerie queen, and it explained the amusing situation of her being around in the middle of active war zones, but the game really should have tied something else to Edna at any point.

Edit: Compare her to Golbez and it's not even close. Not every villain needs a redemption arc or to have everything fully explained, but a cursory examination of how the Night's Nexus influenced her could have been the key to figuring out how to destroy it permanently.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Clarste posted:

I beat every single one of the Asterisk Challenge fights on hard at levels 50-55 (because fighting them leveled me up). I also beat them them in exactly the same way: paralyze/sleep them all with Phantom/Salvemaker and whittle them down with whatever. The hardest ones were Dragoon and Arcanist (not in the same team) because they were immune to both Paralyze and Sleep and spammed all targeting attacks that could kill my entire party instantly. Luckily, reraise exists. Shieldmaster Specialty 1 also lets only one person die, but you still want reraise.

Anyway that's all. You can kill them all like that. I don't know what most of them do.

Yeah I knew about that combo but opted not to use it because it's on the too broken list alongside both infinite turn combos.