Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

My great great grandfather just appears from New York, refused to answer any questions about his life before he settled down in iowa, and disowned the couple of children that tried to dig up any information. So we just assume he was on the run from some crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Apparently, one of my grandmother's brothers went from County Limerick to Boston and ended up as a bootlegger, so there's potential for schadenfreude. Unfortunately, that's all we know, and finding the right "Francis Byrnes" in US immigration records seems unlikely.

My great-grandfather was a foreman at the Guinness factory in Cork, but was sacked for drinking too much of the product.

Rascar Capac fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 12, 2021

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I thought you were supposed to let your flaming shot burn for a few seconds, put it out, then shoot it, not try to drink the fire and burn your eyeballs. I guess I’m not hardcore.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Schad is on everyone who has to constantly listen to white folks go on and on about their ancestors/geneology. For younger Hispanics, most of us don't worry about that kind of stuff, probably because it's hard to figure out what came from what given that we're all mutts but an overly eager interest in genealogy in people who otherwise have no interest in biology or sociology etc has always creeped me out a little.

Older Hispanics are horribly obsessed with proving some sort of European ancestry and will bend over backwards to deny any and all Indian blood so it's definitely not just a white folk thing. Moving to Central Texas though lol ppl really do say they are part cherokee ahahaha

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

god I hate the word folks

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

How do you feel about peeps?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ralph Hurley posted:

How do you feel about peeps?

better

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I personally dislike the word "bud" because it is specifically used by certain demographics when spreading racism on facebook

Sorry y'all I'm kinda traumatized by open/proud/overt racism at the moment, back to schad stuff

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If you feel at all guilty about fudged family genealogy narratives, please know that a lovely branch of my family built a lovely Medieval Times ripoff wherein they stole the valor of a kickass Shawnee war chief.

Holy poo poo I went there! My friend's mom was a bit cherohonkey and took us there on a vacation. What a lovely play. It ended with "and then the took his body and buried it where no white man knows" which sorry Blue Jacket Marmaduke Van Swearingen that includes you too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tree Bucket posted:

(Fotel voice) my highly gravid wife

PinheadSlim posted:

Great Vexations! new username mods pls pls pls

Translating early 1800s Danish to English while maintaining style and character can be a challenge lol

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

One of my presumably distant cousins I've never met did a geneology book tracing the descendants of a family that lived on a specific farm in like, Norway, bc they were interested in where a certain obscure surname came from and it turns out it's from that farm.

It's sort of interesting, I guess?

EDIT: Most interesting fact was that one of my ancestors pranked a friend on a long boat trip by playing the fiddle behind the wall where a fiddle was hanging in their friend's room and coming up with an elaborate story about ghosts, so I know the rear end in a top hat well runs deep.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

TyrsHTML posted:

My great great grandfather just appears from New York, refused to answer any questions about his life before he settled down in iowa, and disowned the couple of children that tried to dig up any information. So we just assume he was on the run from some crime.

I have a similar story

my great-great grandfather "James" just up and left his wife and one son one day (there might have been a child's death, i don't particularly remember) and moved on and never connected with them again. His son "Jimmy" grows up, has my grandfather "Paul" and Paul has three kids: "Ethan", "Benjamin" and "Lucas" (my dad).

So one day a family moves in down the street from my dad's family in this little podunk town in the middle of nowhere. Their kids's names are Ethan, Benjamin and Billy. Their last name is the same as my family's. So the families get to talking about history, and apparently, one day, a dude named James [LASTNAME] just showed up in the big city. No backstory, wouldn't tell anyone about his history before showing up. Just showed up, had a family, died.

Somewhere out there I have an entire cousin line and I have no idea who they are, which sucks because I have two known cousins and they suck

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

KingSlime posted:

I personally dislike the word "bud" because it is specifically used by certain demographics when spreading racism on facebook

Sorry y'all I'm kinda traumatized by open/proud/overt racism at the moment, back to schad stuff

Don't be sorry, it's hard to not be extremely angry all the time with racists all over the place. You're doin great. Have some silly schad

https://i.imgur.com/O0JIQ1e.gifv

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

ElGroucho posted:

Just a correction, it’s “Villa”

I will refer you to my dumb Al Gore joke post.

(I'm sure the correction appears in there somewhere)

DiHK fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 12, 2021

Lemon
May 22, 2003

low key sex master posted:

poo poo did he fight with Henry Munro?

The only info I have is an excerpt from a book about 1798 which says that after joining up with the insurgent army he fought through most of the remaining campaign and returned home to Carnew afterwards. So no idea, but probably unlikely based on the locations I guess?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Carthag Tuek posted:

he claimed to have been struck by his wife with a stone bowl

You should not drink and bake.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
My wife does a lot of genealogy and you start to see that the folks that came to America were not the ones who had a decent life back home or had screwed up their decent life.

She has an distant cousin that was fined for 'grazing his rear end on the fattening grass' of a neighbor. So he had no land and nowhere to feed his animal. There are records of multiple petty crimes related to poverty. His kids came to America. His oldest living direct descendant is a federal judge.

I have an ancestor who "was born in a wealthy family and had the best of everything. Good home, good schooling. He got the maid pregnant and they put him on a boat to America." He had an ok life here but nothing like he probably could have.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If you feel at all guilty about fudged family genealogy narratives, please know that a lovely branch of my family built a lovely Medieval Times ripoff wherein they stole the valor of a kickass Shawnee war chief.

Why is the guy behind him wearing crotchless pants? What sort of rating did this play have?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why is the guy behind him wearing crotchless pants? What sort of rating did this play have?
those look like chaps. he forgot to wear his pants underneath them. all chaps are assless, so there's no need to add a qualifier unless you're talking about assed chaps, which i guess would just be crotchless pants

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

SubjectVerbObject posted:

My wife does a lot of genealogy and you start to see that the folks that came to America were not the ones who had a decent life back home or had screwed up their decent life.

She has an distant cousin that was fined for 'grazing his rear end on the fattening grass' of a neighbor. So he had no land and nowhere to feed his animal. There are records of multiple petty crimes related to poverty. His kids came to America. His oldest living direct descendant is a federal judge.

I have an ancestor who "was born in a wealthy family and had the best of everything. Good home, good schooling. He got the maid pregnant and they put him on a boat to America." He had an ok life here but nothing like he probably could have.

First read I thought 'grazing his rear end on the fattening grass' meant he was fined for sitting in the wrong place.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

many native american men of the period wore assless chaps as daily wear. makes us wonder who truly was the more civilized man

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

many native american men of the period wore assless chaps as daily wear. makes us wonder who truly was the more civilized man

There are no assed chaps though.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I can only speak of people I'm not related to.

This is a water vitalisation device that makes hexagonal water. It does nothing* and costs €8000.

* well, :actually: it does interfere with amateur radio, so the devices are now illegal to use in Germany.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

gschmidl posted:

I can only speak of people I'm not related to.

This is a water vitalisation device that makes hexagonal water. It does nothing* and costs €8000.

* well, :actually: it does interfere with amateur radio, so the devices are now illegal to use in Germany.

I'm confused, which probe goes in the butt?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mng posted:

Does it matter?

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Had to look this one up, and it's some excellent pseudo-sciencey schad: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagonal_water

".. this technique shows no significant differences between the supposed "hexagonal water", ultrapure water, and human urine."

LOL

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

AzureSkys posted:

There's a book done in the late 1800s about my surname's lineage. They first came to America in the 1600s. My great-grandfather is listed as a child at the end of the book.
From it I also learned that two cousins a generation before my great-grandfather married. So, I'm not too proud of any of that history.

Exact same story here. Whittlesey?

Lotta deaths at sea in that book.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Does it matter?

I've watched ElectroBOOM enough to know about the dangers of reversing polarities.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
To make assed chaps would be doing it wrong. Would it be fair to say it was half-assed?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

palette cleanser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQAWOCofXo

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

mng posted:

Goes in your peehole

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Happened to appear in this world with a very noble face. I am often being asked what did your ancestors do, and it gives me great joy to explain that my great great grandfather died from overstrained himself plowing the field. A peasant who plowed the field. I have photo evidence that in WWI some family was warriors but that almost forgotten man who got hernia or who knows will not be forgotten by me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My grandfather was a civic employee and died getting out of his car in the parking lot going to work one morning when he was only 55. I've seen pictures of him from a few weeks before he died and he looked as old as my dad did at 75.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This makes sense. Rather than humblebrag how you an encestor was only a humble cabin builder who once sucked George Washington's dick

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

TyrsHTML posted:

That's the pre-digital age. You move 50 miles and you can completely restart your life and claim to be a doctor or whatever

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I know my ancestry a few generations back on my paternal grandfather’s side because he had to have an Ariernachweis as a public servant on the railway. He died before I was born, so I never had the opportunity to ask what he knew about the deportation trains.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeSNodFSAfE

super badass cool people being gently ribbed with a happy upbeat song is a kind of schadenfreude imo

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

I know my ancestry a few generations back on my paternal grandfather’s side because he had to have an Ariernachweis as a public servant on the railway. He died before I was born, so I never had the opportunity to ask what he knew about the deportation trains.

Songs of a dead dreamer

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

KingSlime posted:

Wait, "bud" is off limits now? I don't use it on the social medias, because i don't use the social medias.

But I'll greet some people with "Sup, bud?" "Thanks, bud!"

Am I a racist?? :ohdear:

I hope this isn't one of those things, that if I have to ask, I already know the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

blight rhino posted:

Wait, "bud" is off limits now? I don't use it on the social medias, because i don't use the social medias.

But I'll greet some people with "Sup, bud?" "Thanks, bud!"

Am I a racist?? :ohdear:

I hope this isn't one of those things, that if I have to ask, I already know the answer.

LMAO read their post again. If you don't spend your life on Facebook (stop going on Facebook, Jesus Christ) you literally wouldn't have any idea. Bud has not been reclaimed by Nazis