Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Tiberius Christ posted:

The real money maker is not asteroid mining for gold but converting asteroids into giant bitcoin miners

if we converted only 1% of every asteroid in the universe into a bitcoin miner, then the blockchain would be secured for an entire 2 weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EorayMel posted:

why did you go back and edit some of those anarchist posts out of yospos OP

those are the secret teachings.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

xtal posted:

Good to know, I'm so vain I thought all your posts about an unnamed anarchist were about me

im just giving my honest opinion as an anarchist...

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
when you're posting in a hole
and there's a poster around whose posts really are worse than the lowest-rated movies by retroactive hero uwe boll
that's an xlol

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Qwertycoatl posted:

the main purpose of proof of stake is so that if someone says "this nft thing is burning the planet" you can say "well only right now but it's going to start using proof of stake any time now so your argument is invalid you fiatailure"

same as lightning network if anyone complains about bitcoin transaction fees

I looked up the lightning network just to see “why” it was going to make coins instant. I’m not saying it won’t in theory, but the multiple “account for every vendor is separate wallets with prepaid amounts opening and closing” sounds very, very bad as adoption goes. Bitcoin is already much, much worse in all categories to get and spend, so why would a regular person even get far enough into the process to “need” the LN? Getting beyond the whole “this isn’t hard to figure out, but waaaaaaay worse and drawn out than my Visa prepaid card it’s just not worth it to waste time setting it all up before it’s even functional. “

Design is opaque and inefficient as hell. A perfect “0” in finance.

Edit:

Silver Alicorn posted:

I thought yall were just sorta joking about that

It started that way because it was low effort but still funny to post. Then it began happening with actual coiiners saying it. Then they all said it about anything at all. It’s still funny to quote a piece of objectivity bad news and say it early. The sad part is giving time the probability of a true believer saying it in earnest approaches 1. It is no longer a joke unless the cognitive dissonance of cult members makes you giggle.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 12, 2021

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

xtal posted:

Since dogs can't hodl do they go to bitcoin heaven or bitcoin hell?

all dogs go to heaven

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1370494046867648513

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/GlebMelnikov8/status/1370460950378205184

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

that's what they've been trying to do this whole time though

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/GlebMelnikov8/status/1370490940994039808?s=20

lmao

https://twitter.com/GlebMelnikov8/status/1370494055499595781?s=20

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 12, 2021

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
(=____=)

guess someone's getting into nft

https://twitter.com/kcimc/status/1370453714348085249?s=19

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Baxate posted:

i thought this was supposed to be completely trustless???? was i wrong?

it is correct that none of these people can be loving trusted

Shame Boy posted:

like aren't there still people using a version of etherium that maintains the dao hack, because of the principle of the thing or whatever

the principle that forking the whole chain would mean they owned a lot of magical internet money for free - ETC was for the enrichment of Barry Silbert and Digital Currency Group

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

NFTs are a lot like buying artist signed prints. why does anyone spend a lot of money on art? anyone can print out a digital image, or copy the image and display it.

pretty much the same reason people buy bitcoin and hoard gold. it is hard to duplicate, you can prove your NFT was original and created by the artist(unless someone other than the original artist created it). you kind of trust the artist not to release a ton more art or do something stupid, and someone else might want to buy it later, you might get rich. but for way less than these NFTs cost you can buy actual original artwork so this is all some crazy cashgrab. and a ton of regular art loses value or becomes worthless too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

as an artist, i am proud of being a Critical Business that is opposed to values that you the reader don't like

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lampey posted:

NFTs are a lot like buying artist signed prints. why does anyone spend a lot of money on art? anyone can print out a digital image, or copy the image and display it.

pretty much the same reason people buy bitcoin and hoard gold. it is hard to duplicate, you can prove your NFT was original and created by the artist(unless someone other than the original artist created it). you kind of trust the artist not to release a ton more art or do something stupid, and someone else might want to buy it later, you might get rich. but for way less than these NFTs cost you can buy actual original artwork so this is all some crazy cashgrab. and a ton of regular art loses value or becomes worthless too.

except they're not being used by artists its 99% bots turning everything they touch into nft's and then selling them to rubes

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

lampey posted:

you can prove your NFT was original and created by the artist(unless someone other than the original artist created it)

unless is doing a lot of work in that sentence

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
NFTs: a signed print of you killing the planet, minus the print

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

NFTs: a signed print of you killing the planet, minus the print

minus the signed part too

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/PersocomNina/status/1370542638504480774

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
it's well known that this One Weird Trick fools a Gensler SEC every time

https://twitter.com/ABTestingAlpha/status/1367187586456903685

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFA3qibwCTo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

divabot posted:

totally not a security lol

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

divabot posted:

these non fungible tokens are fungible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

in order to use our platform you have to agree to the ToS that says you promise not to think of these as securities, therefore they are not securities. i can't believe nobody thought of this loophole before!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Shame Boy posted:

in order to use our platform you have to agree to the ToS that says you promise not to think of these as securities, therefore they are not securities. i can't believe nobody thought of this loophole before!

obviously these previous people just didn't understand crypto

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lampey posted:

NFTs are a lot like buying artist signed prints.

a signed artist print will still be a physical object with the artist's signature on it 5, 10 or 100 years from now. in less than 5 years a NFT will be a hash in a service that may or may not still exist, of something hosted on a completely different unrelated company's service that may or may not still exist, and kept up by the author who may or may not have just decided to delete it

it's more like if instead of signed baseball cards you collected notes from a baseball player's manager that you totally deserve a signed baseball card, at which point the baseball player quits playing to pursue his love of golf, trading card companies stop making cards of him, and the manager is indicted for multiple counts of fraud and flees the country

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

a signed artist print will still be a physical object with the artist's signature on it 5, 10 or 100 years from now. in less than 5 years a NFT will be a hash in a service that may or may not still exist, of something hosted on a completely different unrelated company's service that may or may not still exist, and kept up by the author who may or may not have just decided to delete it

it's more like if instead of signed baseball cards you collected notes from a baseball player's manager that you totally deserve a signed baseball card, at which point the baseball player quits playing to pursue his love of golf, trading card companies stop making cards of him, and the manager is indicted for multiple counts of fraud and flees the country dies of crohns disease while building orphanages in india.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
if you ROT13 all the ticker symbols then you're not trading securities they're just crypto tokens

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

SubG posted:

these non fungible tokens are fungible

wow they just came out and already the nft paradigm is being shattered by the fnft!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

gotta target the youtube gamer crowd and release a fnaffnft

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boxturret posted:

gotta target the youtube gamer crowd and release a fnaffnft

And this is how fnaffnft is pronounced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKZzRGoucPA

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Is this noted antivaxxer, racist, and castle doctrine lover Jason Rohrer? That fucker really needs to go bury himself in an undisclosed location.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

gschmidl posted:

Is this noted antivaxxer, racist, and castle doctrine lover Jason Rohrer? That fucker really needs to go bury himself in an undisclosed location.

what's this about antivax and racist? I hadn't heard that before and can't seem to find anything (not incredulous at all -- just morbidly curious)

and his game about the castle doctrine was boring, wanky, thought-experiment dogshit. if it was supposed to be an endorsement of the policy it failed miserably

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is from a decade ago but I have a very long memory for antivaxxer garbage.

quote:

Rohrer found himself fascinated by this notion of protection and burglarising after briefly living in Las Cruces, New Mexico where crime - and protecting oneself from crime - was a way of life. While he was never robbed personally, his next door neighbor was robbed twice in the span of one year - once in broad daylight - and on one mid-afternoon bike ride Rohrer's then pregnant wife was bitten by a boxer. "We felt like we were constantly unsafe there," Rohrer explained.

"It got me thinking about things that I'd never really thought about before. It got me into a gun shop thinking about buying a gun. I've never done that before. For safety reasons I had to carry weapons with me. Not just against humans, but against dogs. I had this telescoping police baton and pepper spray. I've actually pepper sprayed a few dogs over the time I was there."

Las Cruces is, of course, majority Hispanic and mixed.

quote:

When we were living in a somewhat rougher neighbourhood about a year and a half ago, if we’d go away on a trip every time we came back to the house it was always, like, being careful coming around the corner to see if any windows were broken, then going to the backdoor, looking around inside the house to make sure everything’s still there… Yep, it’s all still here!

[...]

I have a wife and I do have three children, and this game was inspired in part by my feelings living in this rougher neighbourhood.

The other thing:

quote:

Jason Rohrer is known as much for his eccentric lifestyle as for the brilliant, unusual games he designs. He lives mostly off the grid in the desert town of Las Cruces, New Mexico. He doesn’t own a car or believe in vaccination. The 33-year-old works out of a home office, typing code in a duct-taped chair. He takes his son Mez to gymnastics and acting class on his lime-green recumbent bicycle, and on weekends he paints with his son Ayza. (He got Mez’s name from a license plate, and Ayza’s by mixing up Scrabble tiles.)

quote:

Rohrer also protested painful at-birth tests required before his children could have birth certificates. "The only way out was to say I had a religious objective, and it wasn't 'religious,' and I didn't want to lie, but at the same time, I'm not going to let them cut my baby's heel open."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

poor kids have their asses pre-kicked

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You don't get it, the URL in this NFT that now 404s I bought two years ago totally leads to amazing art!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
entire waffleimages collection for sale

the starting bid is :10bux:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

gschmidl posted:

This is from a decade ago but I have a very long memory for antivaxxer garbage.

Las Cruces is, of course, majority Hispanic and mixed.

The other thing:

so your best evidence that he is a racist is that he mentioned that an area he lived in has a high crime rate and that it impacted his life, without drawing any link to the demographics of said area?

there's clearly enough, between the anti-vaccination stance and him stealing people's artwork for buttcoins and claiming that makes him a "creator", to establish that he's an awful person. there's no need to make extra stuff up.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Fair enough - I was pretty sure there was something more damning, but I can't find it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
i mean - he's a buttcoiner and demonstrated awful person in at least 2 ways, so he most likely is an awful person in all sorts of other ways. i just feel like there should be evidence before accusing of any specific flaw.