Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Aardvark! posted:

I would like to know/see more about Howard Johnson's

https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/hojo/portsmouth-new-hampshire/howard-johnson-portsmouth/overview

There are still a handful somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Apparently it was also a huge restaurant chain but died out after the 80s. I had heard of it as a hotel chain before but never ever heard about the restaurant part until now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They had really good clam strips.

Like, for a chain restaurant in a landlocked state.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Also they did a weird partnership with Sega.

https://youtu.be/4n3BMeLZr-A

https://youtu.be/7IlR-6OLayA

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Only 28 flavours? No wonder the restaurants are no more.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
"ceramic broiled" steak

"Roasted in pure Creamery butter" frankforts

"Sweet As A Nut" fried clams

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Howard Johnson's used to serve up a grilled hot dog in one of those flat sided, lobster roll type buns. I used to love those when I was a kid

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Howard Johnson's used to serve up a grilled hot dog in one of those flat sided, lobster roll type buns. I used to love those when I was a kid

Sir that was a frankfurter. Hot dogs are in the roller at 7/11.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Szyznyk posted:

Sir that was a frankfurter. Hot dogs are in the roller at 7/11.

no it was a frankfort you god damned Philistine

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Another example of proper hard roll usage

edit: Johnsonville brats are acceptable, but only as a last resort. Everyone has a local butcher that makes their own bratwurst that are better, or a local company that makes them. The hard rolls should come from a local bakery or the ones you get at Sendik's are fine.

I actually like Johnsonville brats. They have a good coarse grind. But I learned they donated to Scott Walker soooooo..... :shrug:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I get some brats from costco that are pretty drat good, they come in this handy two-pack that's taped together so you can freeze half or all of it pretty easily.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The grocery store out by my parent's has like 10 different types of brats they make there. Jalapeno cheddar, cheddar and apple, cheese steak... hmm, lots of cheese stuff. Well there's other stuff too.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Barudak posted:

Christ I miss bowling alleys

I love the old school ones. The ones that have a full size bar, maybe a separate room for pool tables and arcade games. Bonus if there's Tuesday night Karaoke.

There's an older alley near me that has lanes for 9 pin and it's so fun.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The grocery store out by my parent's has like 10 different types of brats they make there. Jalapeno cheddar, cheddar and apple, cheese steak... hmm, lots of cheese stuff. Well there's other stuff too.

Louisville has (had?) a pretty big German population and I fondly remember Turtle Soup festivals. I think they stopped using turtles in the 70s and replaced it with ....something? but it was sooooooo good.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I really hate that so many alleys turned to blacklights/insanely loud music. I have to wonder how effective that actually is for drumming up business.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

zedprime posted:

That's certainly what it's turned into now (in extremely obvious dog whistle ways like "no white tank tops" instead of anything so complicated as a dinner jacket) but I'm pretty sure they just had a sign out front saying "no n*" in the time period I'm thinking of.

In the south, for sure. But in the other states where it wasn't "polite" to put racial slurs on the windows they probably used this "dress code" poo poo to tell black people their lapels were a quarter of an inch too big or some dumb bullshit.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Aardvark! posted:

I really hate that so many alleys turned to blacklights/insanely loud music. I have to wonder how effective that actually is for drumming up business.

I recall around that time most alleys were not doing well. You had league nights once or twice a week but the weekends were dead. Having "rock and roll bowling" and the party packages saved them.

Lebowski Fest in Louisville was all kids of magic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

♫Pop-lockin' at the Howard Johnson♫
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-r9F1A_fNk

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Aardvark! posted:

:same:

CPL593H posted:

In the south, for sure. But in the other states where it wasn't "polite" to put racial slurs on the windows they probably used this "dress code" poo poo to tell black people their lapels were a quarter of an inch too big or some dumb bullshit.

Some places around here say "no hoodies." For "gang related" reasons. :shrug:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Bonzo posted:

Lebowski Fest in Louisville was all kids of magic.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Szyznyk posted:

The day they stopped selling frozen Toasties in the supermarket a part of me died.

Orange Toasties were such a major part of my childhood breakfasts.

There was a HoJo in the town I live in but it’s a Days Inn now. Still looks like a HoJo though.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

For some reason i think Tillamook butter is eastern shaped, despite being as close to the west coast as you can be before sliding into the pacific

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Also I'm pretty sure all those butters are available at my grocery store, so it seems weird to pick your butter dish based on regionality.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I lived on the west coast for maybe 6-7 years and I don't remember seeing butter shaped like that.

I also didn't buy butter though. :shrug:

That's weird though because 100% of recipes mean the regular stick when they say a pat of butter. Any picture you google of butter without the west coast qualifier will probably be the normal stick. They also have measurements right on the packaging so you can cut the pieces without measuring.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I'll bet that was mostly so they could have a list of arbitrary reasons to refuse service to certain people.

That is 100%the reason for their current existence, the only place you’ll generally find them actively enforced is in certain neighborhoods that are trying to keep Black people out, so a lot of Washington DC, Baltimore, Michigan, and shitholes like Idaho and Kansas.

E: at least in terms of modern restaurants. Those sorts of towns are where that sort of thing is (selectively) enforced

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

John Tuturro was 41 when this was filmed

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nevermibd, wrong thread

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 13, 2021

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
E: it's gone now.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 13, 2021

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

spookykid posted:

Ew. That sort of garbage probably doesn't belong in this thread.

John Tuturro is an American icon.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

John Tuturro was 41 when this was filmed

8 year olds.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Rush Limby where Waldo

AKZ fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 29, 2021

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mean, I personally want to attend a college giving out burkas, thongs, free weed, lube and condoms, but that's sure not in America

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Oh, hard rolls? Turns out they are the perfect breakfast food as well.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

this is the first time i've seen the word 'frankforts'

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
America has some excellent biking infrastructure, this is from the Ghost Town Trail in western Pennsylvania.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Some places around here say "no hoodies." For "gang related" reasons. :shrug:

hulk_hogan_restaurant_dresscode.jpg

e. in case anyone hasn't seen it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Code Jockey posted:

hulk_hogan_restaurant_dresscode.jpg

e. in case anyone hasn't seen it

No way that's real.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

No way that's real.

it’s as real as the Hulkster himself, jack. sorry for pouring water on the embers of any latent Hulkamania remaining in your soul, but what you gonna do, brother, when the bitter reality of Hulk “Terry Bollea” Hogan’s hypocrisy and bigotry runs wild on you?

SatansOnion fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:psyduck: