Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I’m convinced WFH is a capitalism honeypot that’s luring everyone in. Studies show that people are actually working up to 2.5 hours more at home then they would otherwise and the vultures have picked up on that.

How long until you home gets classified as a work place that your company now has rights to? Or hey. If you can do it from another city then clearly someone can do it for much less on another continent.

10 years from now you’ll be remembering fondly only having a 12 hour work day with the commute as the terminal in your home emits a screeching noise because you haven’t entered a keystroke in 2 hours and the corporate camera they are allowed to have in your home turns on to see what you are doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I’m convinced WFH is a capitalism honeypot that’s luring everyone in. Studies show that people are actually working up to 2.5 hours more at home then they would otherwise and the vultures have picked up on that.

How long until you home gets classified as a work place that your company now has rights to? Or hey. If you can do it from another city then clearly someone can do it for much less on another continent.

10 years from now you’ll be remembering fondly only having a 12 hour work day with the commute as the terminal in your home emits a screeching noise because you haven’t entered a keystroke in 2 hours and the corporate camera they are allowed to have in your home turns on to see what you are doing.

https://twitter.com/erinblogan/status/1364614388037144581

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Believe me. High level talks are already beginning over if WSIB (for Ontario) needs to be paid for someone who by definition can never be hurt at work as they work from home.

You’re all walking into a horrible horrible trap

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Wage theft is much easier from home. Just have 'wifi issues' once a week for 2.5 hours and play a game.

The real trick is getting them to pay for your overhead.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 13, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I’m definitely at home, mostly not working. I know my situation isn’t the same as everyone’s but if this is living at work, then I’m all for it because I get the same amount done in an hour or two without all the fake working bullshit I did at the office for the 6 remaining hours. I do feel bad for people who are actually legit busy at home. I’m actually working towards getting some certs and looking for another job that can be permanently remote I enjoy it so much.

And of course, not having to drive, shave, put on reasonable clothes, etc sure does rule pretty hard.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

wfh is fine if you have the space to dedicate a home office or some other space to it. I know a bunch of younger people who live in shared apartments and stuff all living on top of each other 24/7 strangling the life out of the bandwidth, with no reprieve from endless zoom calls

businesses with a lot of overheads from maintaining physical offices must be salivating at the prospect of offloading all that expense onto its employees

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Wage theft is much easier from home. Just have 'wifi issues' once a week for 2.5 hours and play a game.

“Mr Hacksaw. Thank you for joining me today. Your metrics have some issues. We see a remarkable drop in data transfer from your device this month. While I understand you’ve been having data issues I’m afraid that as a Remote Contractor that stable internet is a requirement to submit invoicing for your time. As such we will not be paying you for any period where data activity falls below this arbitrary threshold we control.”

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

kecske posted:

wfh is fine if you have the space to dedicate a home office or some other space to it. I know a bunch of younger people who live in shared apartments and stuff all living on top of each other 24/7 strangling the life out of the bandwidth, with no reprieve from endless zoom calls

businesses with a lot of overheads from maintaining physical offices must be salivating at the prospect of offloading all that expense onto its employees

Hell yeah the eight people who live in a three bedroom apartment in San Francisco must absolutely love eight hours of Zoom calls sitting side by side on their folding tables

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Noblesse Obliged posted:

“Mr Hacksaw. Thank you for joining me today. Your metrics have some issues. We see a remarkable drop in data transfer from your device this month. While I understand you’ve been having data issues I’m afraid that as a Remote Contractor that stable internet is a requirement to submit invoicing for your time. As such we will not be paying you for any period where data activity falls below this arbitrary threshold we control.”

They already use 'ergo-tools' to monitor keystrokes and mouse movement.

But the folks that implemented it for productivity tracking left and now they think it's a real ergo tool. I got my friend in IT to give me my admin credential so I can remove software.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Is it time to move on from "poo poo that happens in my office" to "poo poo that happens at our sister office"? I work with that team, and while the time zones are offset a bit, I still get work emails indicating they haven't stopped working and are still sending me things at 11 PM their time, after starting at 9 AM. Weeks at a time. Enabled by working from home, where the need to close the physical office prevented that.
I am working on making WFH a possibility for myself even though I don't like it, but I was also up front with my boss that the only reason I'll do it is for medical circumstances that need me at home (right now, mostly "respiratory care? we need you to self isolate for a day regardless of vaccine status or any other details, also we can only do weekdays"). Not making this a regular feature. At all.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

Next week is my last week at my current job. I am still getting north of 200 emails a day, many of which are pleading with me "When will this project be finished?". I've started responding with an email that just says "That is a great question"

Are you going to leave a 'I no longer work here' autoreply or set up a forward all mail to your manager?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm still catching up with the thread, but I'm equal parts sad that you all have to deal with dysfunctional... everything and relieved to work in a place where work goes smoothly 99% of the time, the managers are really effective and attentive to our needs, there are no bullshit processes that can't be changed and deadlines are flexible if the eng team doesn't feel that the product too undercooked, and when poo poo happens they don't throw us under the bus. :shobon:

I guess the dumb poo poo (for me) my work does is to underpay me, but since it's in USD and I live in a third world country it's not that bad. :shrug:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Noblesse Obliged posted:

jokes on them, i work significantly less from home (i.e. I check my emails and then gently caress around for 8 hours) and we have no nanny software.

I go in 1 day a week for field work and that's it. Yesterday when I went in I was catching up with one of the directors in our office, who said the orders from on high were that everyone is supposed be back in person starting last week. I told them my director hasn't told me that and I'm not doing anything until they say

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I fear the day, should it come, that we are told we have to go back

I may die of boredom that first week

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I've fallen thru the cracks and have been excluded from any department communications and happenings so idk if they forgot about me or my boss just doesn't care about bringing us back.

I just interviewed for a position with a diff company where I'd be work from home, with an office visit 1x a month or so. The office is 2 hours away but they'd pay my mileage and travel time so I'm fine with that

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

titty_baby_ posted:

I just interviewed for a position with a diff company where I'd be work from home, with an office visit 1x a month or so. The office is 2 hours away but they'd pay my mileage and travel time so I'm fine with that

This is a good compromise if they pay for your internet and for use of a home office space.

E: how long until a company calculates how long you would spend commuting and claims you need to work for that time for the same wage since 'otherwise you're getting all that time for free'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Are you going to leave a 'I no longer work here' autoreply or set up a forward all mail to your manager?

Line of succession is me->an empty org chart->the ceo who is the reason Im quitting and knows it personally and is now scheduling an rear end kiss meeting since I'll be directly responsible for deciding whether ~30% of his total business stays with him.

Im gonna let it be a zesty surprise.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Barudak posted:

Line of succession is me->an empty org chart->the ceo who is the reason Im quitting and knows it personally and is now scheduling an rear end kiss meeting since I'll be directly responsible for deciding whether ~30% of his total business stays with him.

Im gonna let it be a zesty surprise.

Niiiice. Don't do anything, let your inbox runneth over unread while he wonders why everyone is angry with his company.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Ooooh I just remembered, all this talk of obsessively monitoring employees reminds me of some of the most annoying poo poo helljob did.

Helljob developed, in house, a Windows application which would run in the background (read: not at all in the background, in a console window that would run in the foreground) and record the window titles of whatever window was active every 10 seconds or so, to a database. It would record how long you looked at the window, what the title was, and it would try to categorize that based on some pattern matching they built in. Amazon, ebay etc as "Shopping", etc.

This loving thing was used as the basis of punishments and talking-tos so many times. "Oh it's not for keeping track of IT people", my director told me, despite it being later used as a way for him to criticize one of my devs who was doing his job but who he didn't like. Thankfully the cool devs who were there when I joined tipped me off to it, so I was able to just disable it since I had local admin. Eventually too many people had too many holes in their activity logs, so they got wise and figured out some way to try to stop people from killing the process. Which... kinda worked. Until we figured out a way around that, and that if we simply replaced the executable with, say, a copy of Notepad's executable, that would launch on boot instead of that stupid program and no logging would happen. That workaround persisted until they finally just gave up, as that piece of poo poo program did not scale at all and just ended up causing database issues as it was trying to rat out more and more people.

All of this was the product of that psycho president we had. If you are not 100% focused on making him more of a millionaire every second of every day, you are garbage and you are replaceable. See here, Monday at 2:35 PM, for two minutes and twenty seconds, you were on Amazon? This is time theft and you're on final written warning.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I had a real scorcher of one yesterday. An employee who actually lives about 80 minutes from the office (next town over) is flying in today from a job he was at for the last month in the Midwest. For some reason the flight was booked to our town rather than the town he lives in so he doesn’t really have anyone to pick him up and will need to get back to the office to take a work truck and drive home.

He is apparently too dumb to expense a cab, so our boss starts frantically trying to arrange a way for someone to pick him up. Naturally no one volunteers to be a free taxi service in the middle of the day on a Saturday, so the solution he comes up with is to have two employees take two work trucks over to the airport yesterday so they can leave one with the key just chilling inside it overnight in the airport parking lot.

I get back from a long day of last minute call ins with a bunch of paperwork to catch up on from doing 15 hours worth of billable time and the guys the boss asked to do this (and agreed to do it because they weren’t doing anything else with their time) immediately try to make it seem like the boss had asked me to do it. At this point I hadn’t heard about the situation at all but I’ve already learned to never take requests from these guys so I just tell em no way I got work to do, if the boss wants me to take care of it he can call me himself. They go off in an absolute huff at which point I check in with my other boss and ask wtf that was all about, he is also incredulous and wonders why no one just arranged a cab and why we’re wasting an hour each for two employees to save 20-30 bucks on a cab right, additionally it’s 15 parking fee to leave the truck in the lot overnight anyways lmao.

I later got in touch with the boss who started this and at least he was like “nah I knew you were busy and the only one doing anything today so I just sent those two because they were gonna bill standby time to sit on their rear end anyways so might as well have them do something” which I guess fair, it was essentially money already spent. But that still doesn’t explain why they didn’t just fly the guy to his home town in the first place.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Agree. The danger of outsourcing is real.

In the UK it could somehow have a positive effect on society by potentially ending London-weighted salaries for jobs based in London - which seems to be 10 to 100% depending on the job.

If no one needs to live in London and pay half their salary just to have somewhere to live, why would the companies continue to pay the difference?

Talent and money can stay in other cities where people can actually afford to live and unfuck society a bit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

wooger posted:

Agree. The danger of outsourcing is real.

In the UK it could somehow have a positive effect on society by potentially ending London-weighted salaries for jobs based in London - which seems to be 10 to 100% depending on the job.

If no one needs to live in London and pay half their salary just to have somewhere to live, why would the companies continue to pay the difference?

Talent and money can stay in other cities where people can actually afford to live and unfuck society a bit.
I wouldn't count on it. My job is largely done while traveling when not WFH so the correct place to live for the job is a suburb near a midwest airline hub being centrally located but they still give NYC and LA cost of living differential as a prestige lure.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Ooooh I just remembered, all this talk of obsessively monitoring employees reminds me of some of the most annoying poo poo helljob did.

In our place, they wanted our managers to be able to access our screens at any time, their managers to access them, their managers to access them, etc.
To see if we were actually working or surfing imgur or posting in a dead gay comedy forum or such.
They actually bought the software, installed it on all our machines, and trained us on it by crowding us around our manager's computer so he could show 'oh here is what happyhippy is doing right now!'.

Took it less than a week until someone in Legal heard about it and went 'woah now privacy concerns' and pulled it, and that managers were abusing it already by watching other managers.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Thinking back on it, I should have claimed my internet bill as a work expense. Does that fly on taxes?

titty_baby_ posted:

I've fallen thru the cracks and have been excluded from any department communications and happenings so idk if they forgot about me or my boss just doesn't care about bringing us back.

Good luck, I'm jealous as gently caress. I'm trying to get some certifications so I can become a forever home computer toucher. I figure there are plenty of jobs out there that will pay better than the current pathetic $20 an hour I'm making.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
e) reply with "rear end Bandit can you jump on a call with me real quick to go over this" and then has you all but dictate everything anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AHH F/UGH posted:

Thinking back on it, I should have claimed my internet bill as a work expense. Does that fly on taxes?

I think I read Trump introduced some tax rules back in 2017 that would prevent people from claiming home office costs. Don't quote me on that tho

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Took it less than a week until someone in Legal heard about it and went 'woah now privacy concerns' and pulled it, and that managers were abusing it already by watching other managers.

Gotta give it to Legal when they shut down bullshit like this. My work is like this, our experienced lawyers know the company really doesn't want an indelible record of everything done on our computers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

Niiiice. Don't do anything, let your inbox runneth over unread while he wonders why everyone is angry with his company.

Me, every day last week <sorts to unread email, highlights all, clicks "mark as read">

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

I think I read Trump introduced some tax rules back in 2017 that would prevent people from claiming home office costs. Don't quote me on that tho

The 2017 tax bill is a loving mess and I'm not entirely sure how things will shake out for people claiming home office expenses. The standard deduction is, most likely, high enough that buying office furniture and claiming some services you pay for out of pocket like internet access won't actually enough to your burden that it is worth itemizing your deductions. Even when my wife's student loans were at their highest and our mortgage was new it didn't make sense to go beyond the standard deduction.

Interestingly, the bill also didn't provide a flat reduction to everyone's tax rates. People making below I think $75k will see their taxes start to go up next year because the reduction was actually moratorium with a phased re-introduction that ends in like 2024, so in a few years if Congress doesn't act whatever benefits the average person saw will go away while the rich will continue to reap the benefits of the bill for the foreseeable future.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Me, every day last week <sorts to unread email, highlights all, clicks "mark as read">

Should just send them all read receipts to really twist the knife.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lazyfire posted:

Interestingly, the bill also didn't provide a flat reduction to everyone's tax rates. People making below I think $75k will see their taxes start to go up next year because the reduction was actually moratorium with a phased re-introduction that ends in like 2024, so in a few years if Congress doesn't act whatever benefits the average person saw will go away while the rich will continue to reap the benefits of the bill for the foreseeable future.

Oh I'd forgotten that part. It's almost impressive how nakedly cynical that was - make the tax cuts for the rich lobbyists permanent, and decorate it with some temporary tax cuts for the less rich. Sell it as tax cuts for everyone, and bet on most voters not noticing.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Mojo Jojo posted:

c) ignore it completely

goatface posted:

d) attempt to seize control and make it about whatever thing you're working on instead

Volmarias posted:

e) reply with "rear end Bandit can you jump on a call with me real quick to go over this" and then has you all but dictate everything anyway.

I obviously should have spent much more time exploring realistic options.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Computer viking posted:

Oh I'd forgotten that part. It's almost impressive how nakedly cynical that was - make the tax cuts for the rich lobbyists permanent, and decorate it with some temporary tax cuts for the less rich. Sell it as tax cuts for everyone, and bet on most voters not noticing.

Or if they do notice, they'll blame it on the current president.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ultrafilter posted:

Or if they do notice, they'll blame it on the current president.

There's a very high chance that the dates for the increases were chosen specifically for this purpose if republicans didn't control the government at the time.

The entire thing is completely screwed, I am dreading doing our taxes this year because my wife started a master's program paid for by the company and from what I recall that may actually count as taxable income now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lazyfire posted:

There's a very high chance that the dates for the increases were chosen specifically for this purpose if republicans didn't control the government at the time.

I would put it near 100%. There's also the fuckery of pretending there would be magical eternal growth to pretend that this wouldn't increase the deficit. Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to hearing about the republicans screaming about the deficit and how cutting medicare and EBT is the only possible way to solve it, now that they're no longer in control.

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

Barudak posted:

I got in trouble once because someone saw that I had an email folder named "Unimportant" that 90% of the emails I got filtered into, because I'm on a relatively very small department of an enormous company that has a policy of keeping us in the loop on all incident reports and new releases and bugs from the primary department that everything else is build around, and none of those emails would ever be even remotely relevant to anything I will ever work on here. Apparently it is disrespectful to others to label their work unimportant, so now I filter them straight into deleted instead

They saw it when I shared my screen and they commented on the unread email count in it being over 5000

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

72nd bday virgin posted:

I got in trouble once because someone saw that I had an email folder named "Unimportant" that 90% of the emails I got filtered into, because I'm on a relatively very small department of an enormous company that has a policy of keeping us in the loop on all incident reports and new releases and bugs from the primary department that everything else is build around, and none of those emails would ever be even remotely relevant to anything I will ever work on here. Apparently it is disrespectful to others to label their work unimportant, so now I filter them straight into deleted instead

lmao that rules

We joke at work a lot about "oh such-and-such must have an Outlook rule that sends all my emails to the trash!" but sometimes I legit wonder

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Lazyfire posted:

The entire thing is completely screwed, I am dreading doing our taxes this year because my wife started a master's program paid for by the company and from what I recall that may actually count as taxable income now.

Yeah gf is doing her masters and made some less then honest choices on TurboTax to offset this

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Greader posted:

So, I am contracted by a time-share company to do security for a local company, up till recently we were four people having to provide 24/7 coverage, so we all basically work different amounts of 12 hours shifts that end up with someone being always here. Now, one guy got sick which means his shifts had to be picked up by the rest of us which sucks a lot as I am the only non-old, closeby living and also capable of doing both day and nightshift working guy out of this group, so let's just say the last few weeks have been hell. I could go into more details and I imagine it would be enough content for this thread already but oh no, there is some bigger issue right now.

You see, my company has hired a sub-contractor to send people over as needed to take some of the pressure off of us. Of course communication on how and what has been kinda crap, especially from this other contractor and it has turned into quite a shitshow. Normally, anyone new would need to do about two days of supervised shifts before we let them at it alone. Usually one shift that they get to watch us do the work and we explain all the important parts and various details, then one where they sit in the big chair and we are mostly there to give advice as necessary and see how they do. How it has gone so far with the sub-contractor:

One guy showed up for introduction to dayshift, left near the end and did not come back. One actually did both day and nightshift and except for being a bit awkward went perfectly alright. Another guy came for a single nightshift and was actually decent enough that he knew the route for doing the rounds by himself halfway through the shift already so we figured he would be fine. There was one red flag as the last one mentioned he was scheduled for doing dayshift work already despite not being introduced to it. Ended up asking my boss, who talked with their boss and they got reassured that the sub-contractor is aware and taking it into consideration, so at the time I figured that one or two of those shifts were together with us.

Then the first proper workday for the sub-contractor came. First dayshift went fine, the guy who got trained in both showed up and I heard no complaints from anyone about that yet. Yesterday, two days after that dayshift was nightshift and I figured either of the two who got trained in it would work it. Except, as I found out coming to work this morning, someone entirely new showed up who had not even been here before, and in fact a coworker of mine had to drive over here on a half hour commute on his day off to tell him what he was actually supposed to do. Already I heard about doors being left open to offices, other stuff that we have to do during the shift forgotten about and we got really lucky nothing broke as who knows where he even checked during his rounds.

So, basically the sub-contractor seems to give no shits about who to send, my coworkers are starting to get pretty annoyed and the people at the actual company we do the security work at are already talking rumors about the utter shitshow this is turning into. No info from my boss yet and to be honest I would love to not care and watch the chaos unfold if this wasn't all directly related to whether or not I would go back to working like 60 hours per week :v: Oh well, this weekend is two dayshifts in a row for them so I am sure having a potentially completely new person walking around the factory floor completely alone is not gonna be a issue at all, safety and otherwise.

You work security, why do you even give any shits? You aren't military, you arent guarding anything of actual value, you dont need to follow the general orders of a sentry. Slack rear end and if anyone every comes for whatever you are "securing", help them take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The penultimate day of project management training today. Over the weekend they fired the trainer. The emphasis of today's training is to plan for success...