Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Coming back to CK3 after a while, are there any good cosmetic mods already? Like more varied clothing/hair/beard options. I got the community flavor pack but i'm wondering if there are more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
there has to be a saner way to collapse the byzantines then murdering the succession line of major vassals until some random other landed ruler inherits it. now abyassina rules anatolia and the kingdom of jerusalem holds most of bulgaria

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

there has to be a saner way to collapse the byzantines then murdering the succession line of major vassals until some random other landed ruler inherits it.

Why?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

OK, so I created a custom jewish count, placed him in Acre and decided to try to form the kingdom of Jerusalem. This will obviously upset the Abbasids, but so far I've managed to butter up both my liege, the emir and the caliph. I'm still a count, but now with 4 counties spread over two duchies. Question: Should I try to become a duke myself? When I tried something like this in CK2, the caliph just revoked my duchies willy-nilly, can he do the same thing in CK3? Would I be better off as an uber-count?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

because it’s very annoying to check the succession line for every vassal to see which ones can be sniped away

particularly when they have nearly 50 vassals

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Freudian slippers posted:

OK, so I created a custom jewish count, placed him in Acre and decided to try to form the kingdom of Jerusalem. This will obviously upset the Abbasids, but so far I've managed to butter up both my liege, the emir and the caliph. I'm still a count, but now with 4 counties spread over two duchies. Question: Should I try to become a duke myself? When I tried something like this in CK2, the caliph just revoked my duchies willy-nilly, can he do the same thing in CK3? Would I be better off as an uber-count?

from my experiences as count costanza of Tuscany you need tons of gold to defeat your immediate liege when he gets sick of asking you to convert. if you win he gets knocked down crown authority levels which makes him gently caress off for a couple of decades

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Try to get a hook so that when you do you can immediately get religious protection.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Being best buddies with the caliph means I can ask for (and get) a pardon when the emir asks me to convert, so I'm not too worrried about that (though this may turn out differently when it's the caliph's own orders I refuse) . What I am worried about, is that the caliph in CK2 was able to revoke duchies without penalties and apparently had a very low threshold for doing so. Does he have the same powers in CK3?

E:

SlothBear posted:

Try to get a hook so that when you do you can immediately get religious protection.

Sorry, what's religious protection? Can my jewish ruler get that from the caliph?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Religious protection is a special right in your vassal contract that, if you can get it, means that your liege can't Demand Conversion from you or use their Chaplain to convert your lands. It doesn't protect you from revocation: there's another right for that.

However, I think that only Feudal governments get contract rights (not Clan) so that might not help you with the Caliph, especially since (unless he's somehow following a Pluralist faith) he'll always be able to revoke your titles without tyranny as long as he has high enough Crown Authority (so pray for Liberty factions to keep that knocked down I guess, or try to stay in his good side?)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Ah, thanks! Yeah, I don't think that's an option in this scenario, sadly. Is there a way I can see the caliph's crown authority whilst only a being a count myself? Can't seem to figure that one out.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

I'm pretty sure non-islamic custom rulers start as feudal. In that case you can modify your feudal contract to have Title Revocation: Protected, and not have to worry about anything.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

scaterry posted:

I'm pretty sure non-islamic custom rulers start as feudal. In that case you can modify your feudal contract to have Title Revocation: Protected, and not have to worry about anything.

You are right, that is indeed an option, thanks! Will this carry over if I go from count to duke, or will I have to get another hook on the caliph? Thanks again!

E: Religious protection also seems to be on the table, so the Abbasids may be in for a rough couple of years :ese:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

You are right, that is indeed an option, thanks! Will this carry over if I go from count to duke, or will I have to get another hook on the caliph? Thanks again!

E: Religious protection also seems to be on the table, so the Abbasids may be in for a rough couple of years :ese:

It carries over. You also can modify your contract without a hook, just have to give something up (like forced partition or increased levies)

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Much obliged!

E: And enter Crusade, stage left....

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 11, 2021

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I played for seven generations as house Gideon of Semien, Abyssinia and being Jewish sucks. Nobody wants to marry you and everybody can and will declare holy wars on you. On the eighth generation I converted to Coptic and it was insane how much easier everything became. Even the Byzantines were Coptic at that point. I abandoned that run.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Games > Crusader Kings 3: Being Jewish sucks. No one wants to marry you

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Syncretism is great for overcoming that. I made megabogomilism with Islamic friendliness and marriage allied the caliphate because that’s what god would have wanted. Suck it basileus whose the heretic now?!?!

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Possible DLC leak. Although other people on Reddit are saying it's fake.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s what we need Viking stuff

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Yeah, there's no way that's the focus of the first content packs as the Norse already have bookmarked starts (in both start dates) and seem solidly fleshed out compared to other areas on the map. Gotta be a fake. P good troll though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Good lord, alliances. What do you guys do about alliances when you're in one of the thunderdomes? I'm playing as a small timer in the nordic zone on the early start. Even with only a single alliance it's just a clown town of non-stop wars all over the place. I'm now actively trying to avoid marrying daughters to anyone who would grant an alliance. It's beyond ridiculous.

Do you just go it alone? Accept the call to arms and then do nothing, hoping nobody knocks your capital down? The fame penalty for refusing a call to arms is massive and you really need your fame as a tribal in the early game.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

As an early tribal leader I just accept them all. I’ve gotten the why aren’t you helping message like 1 out of every maybe 20 that I don’t show up too. Most of those early clusters are over too fast for anyone to notice. And if they’re nearby hey free loot and prestige and opinion.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Count Saul of Jerusalem could really use some advice here...

As mentioned above, I am a jewish count in the Abbasid empire. I have complete control of the counties in Palestine, but no claim on the Emirate. There seems to be little point in going to war for independence, since the emir has 3 duchies and I wouldn't be able to usurp a title equal to his primary title anyway.

If I were able to marry my son to someone with a claim and pressed her claim (and won), she would then become the duchess, right? What happens then, if she has an unfortunate accident (assuming they don't have children)? Does my son become the duke or does the duchy move on to another claimant?

My son already has one son from another marriage. Would he (my grandson) eventually inherit the duchy?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Marry your son to someone with a pressed claim, and their children will inherit a claim you can press eventually.

Alternatively one of the lifestyle trees lets you scheme your way to a claim on your liege's title, probably do that.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Marry your son to someone with a pressed claim, and their children will inherit a claim you can press eventually.

Alternatively one of the lifestyle trees lets you scheme your way to a claim on your liege's title, probably do that.

Thanks, but the child that would inherit would not be my player heir (since I've already got a son), so that might not lead to the desired result. Option 2 looks better, though sadly his primary title is not the one I want. It would make me a duke, though, which is nice. I had completely forgotten about that possibility, so thanks :)

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why doesnt the game pause when an ally calls me to war? does paradox hate people who play at max speed

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bring back message settings!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

always a good day when your faith advisor gets busted in a murder scheme while owning 10k gold :getin:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Moon Slayer posted:

Bring back message settings!

…and the actual outliner and people-tracker, which is what made those settings so immensely helpful.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Tippis posted:

…and the actual outliner and people-tracker, which is what made those settings so immensely helpful.

Oh God, yes.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because it’s very annoying to check the succession line for every vassal to see which ones can be sniped away

particularly when they have nearly 50 vassals

I mean, imo you shouldnt be able to just erase any country from the map without even fighting the.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XmI5L_-_sU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_rcHmTIzE

leak was right, Northern Lords is the first dlc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not shocking Vikings sell

They are also really boring

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Meh, get it out of the way I guess.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SlothBear posted:

Meh, get it out of the way I guess.

thats what I'm thinking, I like vikings but they aren't the top of my list of what I would've wanted to see, though this means they'll be dealt with and going forward PDX can do other stuff

also its probably good that they're getting actual migration mechanics now and if the Byzantines really are the focus of the first big expansion then having Viking characters being sent to the Varangian Guard might be a good mechanic to have in place before that happens

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It was inevitable.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Oh boy the Vikings! They surely arent overplayed nowadays. I was really hoping for an India or Muslims flavor pack. You know something that isnt overdone to death, and whos iconography and other things hasnt been co-opted by Neo Nazis.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So if I understood right, this is just a flavour pack that's fleshing out play in a certain region without any huge overhauls? So we can still expect something bigger and more mechanical coming down the line?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So if I understood right, this is just a flavour pack that's fleshing out play in a certain region without any huge overhauls? So we can still expect something bigger and more mechanical coming down the line?

Yeah it sounds like that’s the distinction. Flavor packs will have content for various geographies/cultures but not new mechanics. In this case we’re getting a new mechanic in the base game and some content for it here, so hopefully that continues as a trend. As few mechanics as possible should be wholly locked behind DLC.

I’m probably only ever going to play as Vikings once or twice so I may as well do that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

yes, if they follow the stellaris pattern then we can expect the expansion later this year with the next flavour pack being around this time next year