Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Look at this pleb. I’m mad about manga, like a gentleman should be

I’m also mad about maga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Attack on Titan is probably gonna age well in the sense that many countries on Earth are currently trying to mimic the ethnic control policies shown in the series with the expectation that they will never face consequences for it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

pentyne posted:

Attack on Titan is probably gonna age well in the sense that many countries on Earth are currently trying to mimic the ethnic control policies shown in the series with the expectation that they will never face consequences for it.

AoT is very much a "me sowing, me reaping" story, yes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why does Skynet need to put people into camps, I thought they just killed whatever humans they found on sight?
To build more machines, of course

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why does Skynet need to put people into camps, I thought they just killed whatever humans they found on sight?

Experimenting on them (to make a human-Terminator hybrid apparently.)

Skynet might put too much effort into infiltration instead of more bombs or whatever.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

People get really upset over the show that became a million times less interesting when the main character turned into a titan.

Did they ever explain why the not-Jews could turn into titans?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The United States posted:

To build more machines, of course

Really it's probably this. Skynet got all the nukes and flying drones and killbots with gatling guns once it took control of the military and Judgement Day'd everyone, but not sure how many of its initial subordinates had, ya know, actual hands to build more robots.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Did they ever explain why the not-Jews could turn into titans?

Same haplogroup as the girl who stumbled upon the source of (and subconsciously coded) the power.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Cleretic posted:

How did the turn of the main character becoming a kaiju make the series LESS interesting?

I can think of plenty of ways you could screw up that formula, I'm just wondering specifically what way they did.

A lot of anime includes similar "chosen one" / "evil power but for good" elements, including ones I love. For me it just seemed to take away the extreme imbalance they had set up really well between the humans and the titans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Len posted:

I'm down a nostalgia fueled rabbit hole, this has probably been posted in the thread but

https://youtu.be/rkvDLuLtjNA

Did it age poorly, or was it foreshadowing that nobody picked up on?

Sometimes it does bother me that I was an internet lost boy who surely had parts of his developing identity shaped by a pretty bad guy who just liked the idea of having a lot of people think he was cool and good. But I never really saw much of him around here or read any of his posts, so I guess his influence was pretty minor.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The biggest advantage was that Lowtax was so uninterested in doing actual work that even when I joined around 04 he was seen as this guy who was here "sometimes."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

The biggest advantage was that Lowtax was so uninterested in doing actual work that even when I joined around 04 he was seen as this guy who was here "sometimes."

His name has been synonymous with Mangosteen since 2007 as least.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

A lot of anime includes similar "chosen one" / "evil power but for good" elements, including ones I love. For me it just seemed to take away the extreme imbalance they had set up really well between the humans and the titans.
It was annoying to me because Eren's already the best at everything, and when he's not, it's because of a technical error or something he can't control. The one thing he couldn't match was the titans' power and all of a sudden, whoops, he has that too, now he's even more special.

I stopped reading around about chapter 50, so maybe it changes, but Eren was such an unappealing character from the beginning that I had a hard time getting into it. All popular shonen have the Mary Sue problem eventually, but this one jumped into it right off the bat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of hot takes on anime are basically on the level of the YA fiction community dumpster fire where an author is cancelled and their work called to be banned because of out of context quotes taken of the racist bad guys being racist, which the story hammers home is a bad thing and a reason why they are the bad guys.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Eren, the guy who gets led by the nose by the plot, who everyone calls a suicidal blockhead, who got his team killed on their first sortie, who only gets a single ODM kill in the entire series (and promptly tangles his lines and falls on his rear end)... is the best at everything?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hyperhazard posted:

It was annoying to me because Eren's already the best at everything, and when he's not, it's because of a technical error or something he can't control. The one thing he couldn't match was the titans' power and all of a sudden, whoops, he has that too, now he's even more special.

I stopped reading around about chapter 50, so maybe it changes, but Eren was such an unappealing character from the beginning that I had a hard time getting into it. All popular shonen have the Mary Sue problem eventually, but this one jumped into it right off the bat.

The story goes in a pretty wildly different direction after that.

Right now its ending with

Eren attempting to genocide the world while most of the cast is trying to stop him and he uh is absolutely not portrayed in any kind of positive light right now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hyperhazard posted:

I remember not being too put off but I bailed somewhere because the mysteries of the world were getting teased out and I was getting super bad LOST/Battlestar Galactica vibes where they were gonna try to pull a Planet of the Apes "Oh my god I was wrong!" and they were taking too long to get to it. I wish a lot of authors would realize that some mysteries like that need to pay off real quick.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They really don't waste much time honestly. It slows down for a lot of buildup of tension and political details and stuff but it's not like "anyway, back to random adventures until we decide to give you more breadcrumbs." It's very focused.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

After lots of unnecessary sequels, Skynet has developed a pretty bad case of Bond Villain Syndrome. If they're really capable of doing what they did in the first 2 movies there's basically no reason they shouldn't be able to accomplish their goal, outside of a compulsive need for their plans to become more and more complicated rather than just shooting people

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hawowanlawow posted:

I started rewatching the ghost in the shell series after like ten years, and I found myself asking: "why isn't the major wearing clothes again?" and "why does this shot of two government officials talking have half the frame taken up by the major's camel toe?"

Ha, I just started watching this too and had the exact same thoughts

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

There are only 2 Terminator movies. The rest are a collective hallucination like Indiana Jones 4.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Sweevo posted:

There are only 2 Terminator movies. The rest are a collective hallucination like Indiana Jones 4.

the sarah connor chronicles are equivalent to young indiana jones

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
All Terminators are true.
Even false ones.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Crystal Skull is good actually. Temple of Doom is the one that loving sucks.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

packetmantis posted:

Now, now. They can both suck. But I am at least entertained by Temple of Doom.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sweevo posted:

It says so much that the only decent movie in all of those 80s franchises (Aliens, Terminator, Robocop, Predator, Indiana Jones etc.) to come out in the last 30 years was Predators, and even then Predators is just "yeah that was solid enough." Every other movie comes with a massive asterisk attached to it of "yeah it's not a classic but I like..."

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Much like Terminator franchise the Aliens series peaked with the first film.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

After lots of unnecessary sequels, Skynet has developed a pretty bad case of Bond Villain Syndrome. If they're really capable of doing what they did in the first 2 movies there's basically no reason they shouldn't be able to accomplish their goal, outside of a compulsive need for their plans to become more and more complicated rather than just shooting people

The first movie happens because Skynet was on the cusp of losing—sending the Terminator back in time was a crazy Hail Mary to try to avoid failing. But the Terminator series goes back and forth on whether or not that was a futile effort, if the future can actually be changed or if Skynet's as doomed to lose as humanity is doomed to get nuked.

One of the points not spelled out, but pretty implicit, is that Skynet isn't actually smart. It's very young and short sighted, and it suddenly realizing that "mass nuclear strike" didn't actually work and it needed to abruptly switch gears towards enslaving instead of exterminating humans to make up for its labor deficit is pretty in line with its "character."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

packetmantis posted:

A lot of people are going to give you poo poo for this, but I just want you to know that you're right and you're not alone.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
iirc, Temple of Doom was the movie that made the MPAA finally realize "huh, we might need a rating between PG and R." Because ripping out a man's beating heart might not be appropriate for children.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, specifically it was Temple of Doom and Gremlins in the summer of 1984 that made them look into it. The first movie to get the PG-13 rating was Red Dawn later that year, although I wonder if it’d still get that rating by modern standards.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

according to wikipedia, the pilot for nash bridges was co-written by don johnson and hunter s. thomson, who were neighbors

not really media that didn't age well, because nash bridges was never good, but it's kinda blowing my mind right now

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
What are you guys talking about? The most recent Terminator movie was great! Easily the best since 2 and pretty solid overall.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

VinylonUnderground posted:

What are you guys talking about? The most recent Terminator movie was great! Easily the best since 2 and pretty solid overall.

It's by far the best Terminator 3, which isn't saying all that much.

(I actually really liked that it wasn't skynet, and cranky linda hamilton was great. Shame about that awful plane fight in the middle)

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
There is definitely a soft prejudice of lowered expectations going on with it but I turned it on in the background while I was playing some video games and it was good enough that I stopped playing the game. That's reasonably high praise for most movies and incredibly high praise for a '80s nostalgia cash-in. It's not quite up to Cobra Kai's level but it was great.

Deadpanning: "I am very funny"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I respect what that one was going for, but the expression "too little too late" absolutely applies. The Terminator franchise just wasn't meant to exist past the early 90s.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

mind the walrus posted:

I respect what that one was going for, but the expression "too little too late" absolutely applies. The Terminator franchise just wasn't meant to exist past the early 90s.

„Where have you been? drat you, where have you been? ... How dare you? How dare you come to me now, when I am this?“

Like, just be happy you got to see a Unicorn man.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Apropos of nothing, but I just remembered that the Trauma Center games have a pretty amusingly benign example of things not aging well.

Being that those games are basically anime medical dramas, it means they need a LOT of largely undistracting patient names to be their surgery of the week. The approach they ended up taking in localization was to give all the patients names that were basically just collages of actors and characters from timely medical shows; it works pretty well to get just a big list of names, since it's all just a lineup of names you sort of remember from stuff like House or Grey's Anatomy.

...but it does mean that a few names really stand out in retrospect, because they're from people or stories that've stood the test of time. And then some patients actually get dramatic arcs on top of that, so the names can be a little distracting when you can't stop noticing that the girl with the the big suicide story arc is named after an actor from Scrubs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

(I actually really liked that it wasn't skynet, and cranky linda hamilton was great. Shame about that awful plane fight in the middle)

Shame that they also forgot to write a personality for the main character too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

hyperhazard posted:

iirc, Temple of Doom was the movie that made the MPAA finally realize "huh, we might need a rating between PG and R." Because ripping out a man's beating heart might not be appropriate for children.

My 2yo and 4yo are greatly amused when I pretend to do it to them. A 2yo shouting "Kali ma" and returning the favour is pretty funny.