Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I guess I'm the minority but I think Vigilantes is just... Okay? Like it's not bad but the main story has higher highs and lower lows imo. I don't think anything in Vigilantes is on the level of, say, Dabi's gravedancing, United States of Smash, Deku vs Todoroki or the entirety of MVA. Yeah sure the arcs are long and some are kind of bad (usually the ones where Hori is struggling to put out like 12 pages a week) but I'll take a thousand joint training arcs if the payoff is as good as the recent war arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

I guess I'm the minority but I think Vigilantes is just... Okay? Like it's not bad but the main story has higher highs and lower lows imo. I don't think anything in Vigilantes is on the level of, say, Dabi's gravedancing, United States of Smash, Deku vs Todoroki or the entirety of MVA. Yeah sure the arcs are long and some are kind of bad (usually the ones where Hori is struggling to put out like 12 pages a week) but I'll take a thousand joint training arcs if the payoff is as good as the recent war arc.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I find the fact that the major challenges aren't a straight-up fight but like "can I hold this collapsing tower up while under attack" or "How do I save this person from a terrible fate" and the fact that the protagonist's powers are almost all mobility-based with shooty-go-blam as his 'biggest' gun means that even when he gets the required shonen power up of friendship it comes in the form of being able to heroically fly for brief periods of time rather than punch better.

I would read the Captain Celebrity arc over the recent War arc every time and I liked the war arc.

(I also admit that I find Deku to just be a total black hole of a protagonist and him getting All The Superpowers has only made him less interesting.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The main series of MHA goes bigger, sure, but the personal stakes always feel like such an afterthought. Both the war arc and this last Vigilantes chapter are the culminations of years worth of setup in the manga, but Vigilantes is really the only one utilizing all that groundwork to create intimate personal drama (though, ironically for me, the Bakugo stuff in the war arc is some of the only stuff that actually did kind of do that). I feel Koichi's conflict in this last chapter much deeper than I ever have Deku's.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

No, I feel entirely the same way, except that I don't agree that it has higher highs. The best moments in MHA prime blow those in the spin off completely out of the water. Vigilantes is a lot less high-stakes which I understand appeals to some people but I really do feel like it is just fairly mediocre. It's just not a very dramatic series and thats part of what holds it back for me. Knuckdusters fight with his daughter is cut up between Pop holding a concert with the villain's big plan being to ruin it just to be a douche. This chapter was just Koichi running away and Best Jeanist hamming it up. Koichi didn't really have to even exert himself much to escape either so it wasn't really tense at all unlike say, basically every Deku fight ever.

Arist posted:

but Vigilantes is really the only one utilizing all that groundwork to create intimate personal drama

Well except for the entire Todoroki saga. And Bakugo/Deku. And Shigaraki. And Twice. And Toga. And Eri. And really MHA is like 50% intimate personal drama actually now that I think about it. The main character is in tears basically all the time for a reason.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 14, 2021

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not sure I'd say the appeal of the main story is that it goes "bigger". I think the Todoroki family drama and everything that happened with the LOV has been carrying the hell out of the main series atm and that's all because they're good stories at the personal level. But yeah, Deku has been a rather whatever protagonist for a while, with his best moments in the first half of the series. And even those moments he was there to act as a catalyst for other people's (Todoroki, Iida, Bakugou, Ochako) growth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nephthys posted:

No, I feel entirely the same way, except that I don't agree that it has higher highs. The best moments in MHA prime blow those in the spin off completely out of the water. Vigilantes is a lot less high-stakes which I understand appeals to some people but I really do feel like it is just fairly mediocre. It's just not a very dramatic series and thats part of what holds it back for me. Knuckdusters fight with his daughter is cut up between Pop holding a concert with the villain's big plan being to ruin it just to be a douche. This chapter was just Koichi running away and Best Jeanist hamming it up. Koichi didn't really have to even exert himself much to escape either so it wasn't really tense at all unlike say, basically every Deku fight ever.

Well except for the entire Todoroki saga. And Bakugo/Deku. And Shigaraki. And Twice. And Toga. And Eri. And really MHA is like 50% intimate personal drama actually now that I think about it. The main character is in tears basically all the time for a reason.

MHA has a lot of setups for that stuff, but I think it's really bad at capitalizing on it well and elevating the material.

e: also I was talking specifically about the last arc of MHA, which Eri didn't even appear in??????

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 14, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephthys posted:

No, I feel entirely the same way, except that I don't agree that it has higher highs. The best moments in MHA prime blow those in the spin off completely out of the water. Vigilantes is a lot less high-stakes which I understand appeals to some people but I really do feel like it is just fairly mediocre. It's just not a very dramatic series and thats part of what holds it back for me. Knuckdusters fight with his daughter is cut up between Pop holding a concert. This chapter was just Koichi running away and Best Jeanist hamming it up. Koichi didn't really have to even exert himself much to escape either so it wasn't really tense at all unlike say, basically every Deku fight ever.

I don't think being smaller in scale makes it less dramatic. If anything it emphasizes how smaller scale can make the stakes feel bigger than The Entire World Is Going To Die. MHA absolutely has elements of that in the mainline but they've gradually faded into the background as the series progresses. It's still there but the big epic fights from the recent War arc don't hit me remotely as hard as people fighting that hard to rescue Eri. It's bigger and flashier but "we made Eri smile" was a bigger impact than almost anything that happened in the war arc except for the entire Twice/Toga/Hawks drama which genuinely hit hard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some of the best stuff the main series ever did was the Culture Festival arc that was entirely personal drama and some low-stakes fighting and I'm baffled whenever people think it's bad

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I give way more of a poo poo about Pop and Koichi's relationship and the safety of this small community coming together than I do for THE FATE OF ALL THE WORLD AND THE FINAL CLASH OF THE TWO ULTIMATE SUPERPOWERS POWERS DESTINED TO CLASH.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vigilantes is great for the personal low-stakes (compared to MHA) stories and new characters, while also fleshing out a few characters from MHA, like Midnight and Aizawa

You get to see things from the street level

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Arist posted:

Some of the best stuff the main series ever did was the Culture Festival arc that was entirely personal drama and some low-stakes fighting and I'm baffled whenever people think it's bad

Indeed (and if anything the anime version of that arc only improved upon it).

I personally like the more personal, slightly lower stakes nature of Vigilantes and would love to see it get animated one day (even if they wind up having to put it on Netflix or something)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For the record, I'm not sure you can't tell good stories with intimate personal stakes while still having them be massive in scope, but it's inherently harder and creates more of a disconnect there.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

MHA has a lot of setups for that stuff, but I think it's really bad at capitalizing on it well and elevating the material.

Ochako crying on the phone to her parents after losing affected me more than anything in all of Vigilantes alone. And that's not even a particularly stand out plot compared to Deku saving Kota, Eri smiling or Shigaraki's backstory.

And sorry to keep complaining but man does Vigilantes undercut any potential for pathos all the friggin time. I'd care more about Pop if 50% of her character wasn't being half naked all the time and 50% being a total dick to Koichi. I'd care more about Captain Celebrity if he wasn't introduced by trying to cheat on his wife with a girl in college. I'd care more about Koichi unlocking his quirks potential if it wasn't based around his mother slapping him his whole life. I'd care more about the hooligan gang if they weren't attempted rapists. Also it made Midnight into basically a sex offender who seemingly became a teacher to bang underaged kids which is um, unnecessary to say the least.

Arist posted:

e: also I was talking specifically about the last arc of MHA, which Eri didn't even appear in??????

Ok, I apologise for misunderstanding you but I still feel that it's worth pointing out how many strong character moments the main series had overall.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 14, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, low stakes are a double-edged sword: the 1-A vs. 1-B arc was also low-stakes, but was bad because it was completely meaningless to pretty much everyone involved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nephthys posted:

Ochako crying on the phone to her parents after losing affected me more than anything in all of Vigilantes alone. And that's not even a particularly stand out plot compared to Deku saving Kota, Eri smiling or Shigaraki's backstory.

And sorry to keep complaining but man does Vigilantes undercut any potential for pathos all the friggin time. I'd care more about Pop if 50% of her character wasn't being half naked all the time and 50% being a total dick to Koichi. I'd care more about Captain Celebrity if he wasn't introduced by trying to cheat on his wife with a girl in college. I'd care more about Koichi unlocking his quirks potential if it wasn't based around his mother slapping him his whole life. I'd care more about the hooligan gang if they weren't attempted rapists. Also it made Midnight into basically a sex offender who seemingly became a teacher to bang underaged kids which is um, unnecessary to say the least.

I guess I'm not sure how that undercuts drama in Vigilantes and not in MHA. Almost every thing there either has a parallel in MHA or is directly from it. (Vigilantes didn't invent that poo poo. Midnight got touchy and flirty with students in the main series.) I absolutely agree about the rapist thing but MHA had Bakugo basically trying to murder Deku in the first chapter. In both cases the story just went "um yeah that was... bad so just pretend it was something different" which is not my favorite solution but so it goes. I don't like Pop's costume much but it ain't like MHA mainline is better. (Looking at you Momo.)

Both series have Issues but still. Captain Celebrity at least was retconned to "Actually is so stupid he doesn't realize how what he's doing is coming across the wrong way" which is a bit silly but frames him as someone who genuinely loves his wife as opposed to say Nighteye's Tickle Torture which never actually got retconned at all.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Arist posted:

The main series of MHA goes bigger, sure, but the personal stakes always feel like such an afterthought. Both the war arc and this last Vigilantes chapter are the culminations of years worth of setup in the manga, but Vigilantes is really the only one utilizing all that groundwork to create intimate personal drama (though, ironically for me, the Bakugo stuff in the war arc is some of the only stuff that actually did kind of do that). I feel Koichi's conflict in this last chapter much deeper than I ever have Deku's.

The panel where Bakugo takes the hit and knocks Deku out of the way legitimately gave me chills in a way I haven’t felt about MHA since, like, maybe even All Might versus All for One. A perfect moment. I definitely agree that stuff was the strongest moment of the war arc, at least on the side of the heroes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Arist posted:

The Culture Festival is great IMO. The only people I've seen who don't like it are mostly anime-only people who legitimately think it's a filler arc.

Like my only beef with it (which isn't a good one since this is a shonen manga and it won't go that deep into psychology, and the way I think it should be handled would be considered kind of a downer) is basically Eri pretty much getting over 2 years or so of living in a hell that she couldn't even die to escape from by having a good day.

The stuff I like in Vigilantes is the bits of world building wrapped up in the whole Vigilante/Pro Hero/Unseen Crimes thing. The author seems to want to get into it a bit but kinda steps back when he gets a little too close to hitting at some of the more interesting stuff. The mantis guy is a good example- he gets kidnapped, has his body modified against his will, and is hit up with modified Ideo Trigger to the point he literally turns into a big mantis rather than a dude with mantis-like features. The heroes and cops kick the poo poo out of him, and after they figure out he's a victim they let him off but don't do anything about the fact that he can't fit into his apartment anymore and is basically homeless. The cops tell him he can apply for housing assistance and gently caress off and he ends up living in his friend's garage, and he points out public services are pretty half-assed and behind the times. Then nothing kinda happens with it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 14, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

If you're talking about the lizard guy that's in Koga's crew that means he's part of the gang that was going to (charitably) rip then middle-schooler Pop Step's clothes off and photograph/humiliate her or (uncharitably) rape her. Granted the first 2-3 chapters of Vigilantes was it not having much focus and bouncing to like two different magazines but it never retconned that. poo poo, Pop I think literally calls Koga a wannabe rapist repeatedly after it settled down until Koga and crew finally got written as getting their poo poo together and risked their lives trying to help a bunch.

To be somewhat fair to them, they were on Trigger and thus had very little inhibition control during that time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

To be somewhat fair to them, they were on Trigger and thus had very little inhibition control during that time.

They weren't on Trigger at that point. They were infected with it later.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

They weren't on Trigger at that point. They were infected with it later.

Huh thought they were for some reason.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think being smaller in scale makes it less dramatic. If anything it emphasizes how smaller scale can make the stakes feel bigger than The Entire World Is Going To Die. MHA absolutely has elements of that in the mainline but they've gradually faded into the background as the series progresses. It's still there but the big epic fights from the recent War arc don't hit me remotely as hard as people fighting that hard to rescue Eri. It's bigger and flashier but "we made Eri smile" was a bigger impact than almost anything that happened in the war arc except for the entire Twice/Toga/Hawks drama which genuinely hit hard.

Nah, I don't mean that it's less dramatic because it's low stakes. It's just less dramatic in general. It's so much more of a slice of life and gag manga compared to MHA prime. Stain in the main series is a gamechanging moment that represents a huge moment for Shoto, Iida, Deku, Shigaraki and the whole MHA world. Stain in Vigilantes gets his rear end kicked with a gag about Knuckleduster cheating and has no real plot relevance. Koichi taking on multiple heroes is mainly just a bunch of cameo's that don't really matter and Koichi doesn't really need to push himself that hard to escape. Deku vs Gentle has them pushing each other to the limit physically and emotionally. Even in terms of the characters I feel like MHA is more serious in it's attempts at character moments compared to the more jokey, less dramatic Vigilantes.

I'm not saying this is bad. Some people use the heavier focus on slice of life to get more invested in the fewer dramatic and plot elements. But personally I prefer the meatier elements of MHA's plot and character moments.

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I'm not sure how that undercuts drama in Vigilantes and not in MHA. Almost every thing there either has a parallel in MHA or is directly from it. (Vigilantes didn't invent that poo poo. Midnight got touchy and flirty with students in the main series.) I absolutely agree about the rapist thing but MHA had Bakugo basically trying to murder Deku in the first chapter. In both cases the story just went "um yeah that was... bad so just pretend it was something different" which is not my favorite solution but so it goes. I don't like Pop's costume much but it ain't like MHA mainline is better. (Looking at you Momo.)

Both series have Issues but still. Captain Celebrity at least was retconned to "Actually is so stupid he doesn't realize how what he's doing is coming across the wrong way" which is a bit silly but frames him as someone who genuinely loves his wife as opposed to say Nighteye's Tickle Torture which never actually got retconned at all.

It's a gross exaggeration to equate Bakugo telling someone to 'KYS' to a murder attempt. He's a dumb kid saying something cruel. It's not even as bad as what actual RL bullies do and even his friends say he was being unusually harsh. You can't compare it to a sexual assault attempt. Midnight was innocently flirty as part of her persona, but Vigilantes gave her a speech about giving handjobs to teenagers. There's a huge difference there. And at least Momo has an attempt at a character arc and pro-active plot integration. Pop's usual contribution to the plot is to either shake her butt a lot, be a prick for no reason or to get in danger and need to be saved. Compared to the girls in the main series she's absolutely the 'useless love interest' character and isn't particularly likeable imo.

That Captain Celebrity retcon is pretty stupid considering he's shown in bed cheating on his wife in his first chapter and he was aware enough of what he was doing with Makoto for her to be able to blackmail him over it. Did they even keep that his wife was supposed to be divorcing him for repeatedly getting caught cheating on her?

But anyway my point is that it's hard to get invested in Vigilantes when it just keeps pulling this crap. About 80% of the cast are creepy, gross jerks that I don't care about. Maybe I'd care more if I'd kept up the whole time but it all just feels so throwaway that I only read the chapters anymore if this thread makes it sound interesting.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 14, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That's a bit of a weird way of stating things. Fame turns him into a narcissistic douchebag with no real care for anyone but himself, but having the kids in his charge reminds him why he became a hero and culminates with him tanking a blast to protect the three girls with no thought for his own safety because he's a changed man.

It's not a retcon, it's a pretty standard redemption story where someone realises the damage they are doing, changes for the better and does something genuinely selfless that demonstrates that change. And then we get the cool Sky Egg stuff, as a treat, and also to show his newfound commitment driving him to keep going.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

People give poo poo to Deku for gaining 6 quirks but Koichi went from "Can slide fast" to "Can fly" and "Can shoot telekinetic projectiles" which isn't much better. At least OFA giving more quriks is relevant to the plot (in addition to making so much sense that, if it didn't happen, it'd feel like a plot hole). Add to this that Koichi is a guy without big character flaws or entertaining personality traits (well, people get his hero name wrong, but that's it) to make him stand out and I don't really see how he's any more interesting than Deku. Frankly I think neither protagonist carries their own story.

The main story having a larger cast (which, yes, is often misused, but it's still there) gives me more to get invested in when the protagonist fails to make me care. Some of the 1-A cast are extraneous to the point people still don't remember their names after all these years, but the same can be said of the whole neighborhood in Vigilantes. Neither Mantis Guy nor Mina are ever going to do much, but I remember Mina's name because she is always energetic in the background, wanted to be Alien Queen and breakdanced at a villain.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Frankly, I'm just tired of this thread constantly devolving into "which is better, Vigilantes/Main series" I can't count how many times it has and it's become boring as sin.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
When was not having any big character flaws a problem? Koichi is a relatively well adjusted young adult which is actually kind of refreshing for shounen protagonists.

Also Koichi's quirk progression is a bit more natural than "oh you have 7 quirks now btw!". Koichi's quirk wasn't sliding fast, that was just an early application of his quirk which is controllable energy fields he can form with his hands and feet. Turns out with practice he learned to do more than just slide around on it, just like pro heroes have quirks that seem kind of useless up front like "phases through matter" but with practice turn into "teleporting across the room and then literally punching your kidney".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I kinda want a Best Jeanist prequel. He's got one of the most useful quirks in the series, but I feel like he had to learn how to use it and work himself up to where he is today.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

GimmickMan posted:

People give poo poo to Deku for gaining 6 quirks but Koichi went from "Can slide fast" to "Can fly" and "Can shoot telekinetic projectiles" which isn't much better. At least OFA giving more quriks is relevant to the plot (in addition to making so much sense that, if it didn't happen, it'd feel like a plot hole).

That's just a natural evolution of Koichi's quirk through training and application. His quirk isn't "Can slide on surfaces when touching them" it's "Propulsion" he just could only do the first part because he never really pushed himself to learn what he could actually do with it besides the most obvious. It's an actual evolution of the concept that stays within the bounds of the concept and is directly tied to his personal character development and his relationships with others. It's why people don't give Koichi poo poo because it's the same as say Bakugo developing the AP SHot or his other techniques whereas DEku goes from Super Strength to Venom Tentacles to Spidey Sense to Levitation none of which are thematically connected and most of which aren't even thematically introduced.

Which kind of ties it to plot threads the main comic touches on but abandons for it's OFA/AFO destiny battle plot. Like Gentle and most people Koichi bumps into, Koichi has insane potential but didn't have the teacher or the infrastructure or the freedom to really push himself.Which also ties well into him also kind of being a slacker and too laid back which is a big character flaw we've seen him work through and overcome.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 14, 2021

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Onmi posted:

Frankly, I'm just tired of this thread constantly devolving into "which is better, Vigilantes/Main series" I can't count how many times it has and it's become boring as sin.

I'm sorry for starting this. I don't think either is genuinely better, I just think that the main story has that sort of classic shonen thing of being either in the middle of a big event, or in the immediate windup or cooldown of a big event, while Vigilantes had a narrower and more consistent focus. It's the difference between a story about saving the world, and saving your town. They're both good, and it's just personal preference which one you gravitate to.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

During the Joint Training arc I was definitely pretty down on the main series and was enjoying how Vigilantes was ramping up, but now I'm all on the MHA train again and it's a blessing to have two great series that do different things. The main series definitely could've used more of Vig's slowness, I feel like the series ramped up too quickly for my liking, yet Year 1 is like twice the length it should've been, it's weird.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Official translation is out

Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-305/chapter/22204?action=read

MangaPlus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008928

Interesting that it seems like the two past holders that were facing the wall are doing it because they aren't vibing with Midoriya

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think Koichi's quirk slowly turning out to be insanely good is supposed to kinda underscore the tragedy that this kid didn't become a hero because of a coincidence. He's a bit too soft-hearted of a dork though even in comparison to Deku I think to really have "the edge" that'd make him a proper All Might/Deku level hero which is probably good, because look at what happens to THOSE guys.

Pop is pretty constantly damseled but it kind of annoys me less because in the group dynamic she's pretty much the most sensible person and her suggestions/contributions don't get ignored. Also her quirk isn't suited for combat. Her costume doesn't really bug me either since it's a near copyright-infringement level homage to Shadow Lady.

Probably the weirdest thing that Vigilantes does for comedy is that basically every mook-tier villain that shows up and isn't "generic rampaging guy" for Koichi to comically fight, is a literal pervert. Raoh but using phantom hands to grope women, a serial flasher, 3 rollerskating guys who steal everyones underwear (Koichi literally saying he doesn't kinkshame is a good joke though), etc.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Official translation is out

Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-305/chapter/22204?action=read

MangaPlus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008928

Interesting that it seems like the two past holders that were facing the wall are doing it because they aren't vibing with Midoriya
So. How many of you think Deku's reasoning of "I wanna save dat little boy, no matter how many millions he's killed" is bullshit?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

All Might’s specter crying at Deku’s resolve got me to well up too. Midoriya has always been a good boy :unsmith:

This is the poo poo that Hori is really good at imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is a character beat you see in a lot of shonen series but the delivery makes it feel a little more earned here.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Grouchio posted:

So. How many of you think Deku's reasoning of "I wanna save dat little boy, no matter how many millions he's killed" is bullshit?

Deku's already said a million some times in the series that he wants to become a hero who saves everyone. We were shown Twice being assassinated by a "hero" for a reason, and it wasn't to feel good about the pragmatism of it.

Xarbala posted:

This is a character beat you see in a lot of shonen series but the delivery makes it feel a little more earned here.

Gave me big Naruto vibes for sure, but the execution here was excellent.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

deku is gonna speak to a giant turtle and then touch shiggy's forehead and erase his quirk forever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That's a bit of a weird way of stating things. Fame turns him into a narcissistic douchebag with no real care for anyone but himself, but having the kids in his charge reminds him why he became a hero and culminates with him tanking a blast to protect the three girls with no thought for his own safety because he's a changed man.

It's not a retcon, it's a pretty standard redemption story where someone realises the damage they are doing, changes for the better and does something genuinely selfless that demonstrates that change. And then we get the cool Sky Egg stuff, as a treat, and also to show his newfound commitment driving him to keep going.

In one of the final chapters they reveal that almost all the lawsuits against him were dropped because they were meritless/traps and they actively show both the 'bad' images and then shots of him looking confused and bewildered.

Nephthys posted:

It's a gross exaggeration to equate Bakugo telling someone to 'KYS' to a murder attempt. He's a dumb kid saying something cruel. It's not even as bad as what actual RL bullies do and even his friends say he was being unusually harsh. You can't compare it to a sexual assault attempt. Midnight was innocently flirty as part of her persona, but Vigilantes gave her a speech about giving handjobs to teenagers. There's a huge difference there. And at least Momo has an attempt at a character arc and pro-active plot integration. Pop's usual contribution to the plot is to either shake her butt a lot, be a prick for no reason or to get in danger and need to be saved. Compared to the girls in the main series she's absolutely the 'useless love interest' character and isn't particularly likeable imo.

Bakugo bullies Deku significantly worse than that even in the first chapter. Even the author has said they went to far with them. And no, Midnight is just as flirty and uncomfortable there. She makes comments all the time and the teacher fight she against The Worst Character has her going full-on in that.

The last part is like actively untrue considering the series spends a huge chunk of time on Pop's character development. It is just focused on her opening up and being willing to work with others, and she's pretty frequently helping out during the vigilante stuff. (Just not like fighting because the goal there isn't fighting.) She's probably more actively involved than most of the MHA female cast considering she doesn't have to share screentime and it's been pretty blunt that everyone working on MHA cares more about Sexy Fighting Bunny then the rest of the female cast put together.

Fabricated posted:

Probably the weirdest thing that Vigilantes does for comedy is that basically every mook-tier villain that shows up and isn't "generic rampaging guy" for Koichi to comically fight, is a literal pervert. Raoh but using phantom hands to grope women, a serial flasher, 3 rollerskating guys who steal everyones underwear (Koichi literally saying he doesn't kinkshame is a good joke though), etc.

I am not super fond of that myself though I suppose in a non-UA sense the majority of Quirk Crimes are going to be people being creepy or assholes rather than people dissolving each other into dust.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 14, 2021

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
MHA and Vigilantes are both good for different reasons and comparing them is weird because they both elevate each other.

Treating them as separate properties when they have a great symbiotic relationship going on is silly.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 14, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grouchio posted:

I feel like the issue is that once you've crossed the lines Shigaraki has, "saving him" basically = "killing him" because any decent person would want to kill themselves if they were responsible for the stuff he's done.

So basically "Shigaraki being saved and alive" is sort of an oxymoron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I figure it'll be something like he comes to terms with what he's done at the very end, or has a Darth Vader moment, something like that.

I don't think there's any way this series ends with him alive.