Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like the issue is that once you've crossed the lines Shigaraki has, "saving him" basically = "killing him" because any decent person would want to kill themselves if they were responsible for the stuff he's done.

So basically "Shigaraki being saved and alive" is sort of an oxymoron.

You're not thinking with Shonen Logic. You can kill literally billions of people and get to be a wacky dude who dances at bingo games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Electric Phantasm posted:

Official translation is out

Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-305/chapter/22204?action=read

MangaPlus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008928

Interesting that it seems like the two past holders that were facing the wall are doing it because they aren't vibing with Midoriya

I assumed it was because he hadn't unlocked their quirks yet, but I don't think we've seen the quirk of the dark-haired guy so I guess that theory doesn't hold

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Between Shigaraki and Dabi, which one will die and which one will be "saved"?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"There are some people that can't be saved."

"But it looked like he wanted saving, so I'm gonna save him."

"He's killed hundreds of people."

"Too late, can't hear you or his past misdeeds over me saving him."

I get why it's happening, but man if it isn't still dumb to watch.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At least everyone seems to be in agreement that All For One needs to go.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

This is literally the thing at the beginning where by all rights Izuku has zero reason to try and save Bakugo from the slime monster, but did so anyway because he looked like he was asking for help.

Rhonne posted:

Between Shigaraki and Dabi, which one will die and which one will be "saved"?

Shigaraki and Toga are likely to be saved, Dabi is not asking for help as far as I can tell. Shigaraki is the big meaningful villain, Izuku will "save" him from AfO (and then put him in jail because MHA still believes in punishment for crime). Toga is the friend of Twice and knows to an extent why he died, plus is having the questions for Ochako about heroism and villainy. Dabi isn't just going down with his burning pyre, he is doubling down on it he's turned his desire to hurt Endeavour into hurting every member of his family just to rip away at his lovely father.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 14, 2021

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, Shigaraki’s still killed less innocent people than Vegeta.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Counterpoint: Vegeta is cool and good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Funky Valentine posted:

He's also a mass murderer. Toriyama isn't writing super but the guy who is realizes the contradiction there and has actively included Vegeta's past into his current character arc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Clearly Shigaraki needs to hookup with someone in the class and prove that he the world's greatest boyfriend.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Clearly Shigaraki needs to hookup with someone in the class and prove that he the world's greatest boyfriend.

Ochaco and him romantically touch fingertips. She turns into dust and he floats off into the sky. Real Romeo v Juliet kind of stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only choice there is Aoyama.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Characters are at their best when they're doing war crimes, it's just good storytelling.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should point out that even if Deku does save Shigaraki. Shigaraki is still going to go to jail and stuff.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should point out that even if Deku does save Shigaraki. Shigaraki is still going to go to jail and stuff.

Deku will get him let out on probation and he will go live with the Midoriya family.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Official translation is out

Viz: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-305/chapter/22204?action=read

MangaPlus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008928

Interesting that it seems like the two past holders that were facing the wall are doing it because they aren't vibing with Midoriya

So basically, when All for One was going "You picked a lovely inheritor this time!", 2 and 3 were all "No no, he's got a point" in the background. :allears:

Grouchio posted:

So. How many of you think Deku's reasoning of "I wanna save dat little boy, no matter how many millions he's killed" is bullshit?

I don't think the general premise of disconnecting Shigaraki from AFO's mental hold is a bad idea.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

I figure it'll be something like he comes to terms with what he's done at the very end, or has a Darth Vader moment, something like that.

I don't think there's any way this series ends with him alive.

Yeah, that's why I bet the finale will be something like Deku getting to Shigaraki at the last possible moment and Shigaraki turning against All for One and using his hatred to kill him in mindscape, which will also turn out to be the only way to to defeat All for One for good and possibly dying in process. Horikoshi is too big of a Star Wars nerd to not recreate the ending of RotJ when he can. :allears:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I still really hope we get a "Shigaraki sacrifices himself to stop AFO" ending.

Instead of a "Shigaraki is absolved of all consequences of being a mass murderer and is just part of the gang now" ending.

MHA has largely avoided Naruto's pitfalls but I can't help but be worried.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neo_Crimson posted:

I still really hope we get a "Shigaraki sacrifices himself to stop AFO" ending.

Instead of a "Shigaraki is absolved of all consequences of being a mass murderer and is just part of the gang now" ending.

MHA has largely avoided Naruto's pitfalls but I can't help but be worried.

Why not both?

"Shigiraki really was the coolest guy!"

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
"When I began telling this story, I had to lie, because you wouldn't understand. But now I can finally tell the truth. This is actually the story of how Shigaraki became the Greatest Hero"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Characters are at their best when they're doing war crimes, it's just good storytelling.

:yeah:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope that Shigaraki meditates and finds true peace and acceptance, moments before Deku caves in his face with One For All

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Why not both?

"Shigiraki really was the coolest guy!"

That's gonna be the caption of chapter 236 when they animate it

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Saving Shigaraki has felt like it's where the series has been heading but it's also mind-boggling to even consider. In a lot of ways how it would be handled will reflect the series ultimate resolution. How can you allow a guy who can disintegrate cities exist without crippling him or recklessly risking countless lives? How can a peaceful society function when you don't know if someone could kill you with a mere touch? Should such people have their quirks disabled in some way to preserve society?

It's the Twice problem, but even worse. Even if you just send him to prison you'd need to have even more of a horrific rights-violation than AfO got to safely contain him.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 14, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nephthys posted:

Saving Shigaraki has felt like it's where the series has been heading but it's also mind-boggling to even consider. In a lot of ways how it would be handled will reflect the series ultimate resolution. How can you allow a guy who can disintegrate cities exist without crippling him or recklessly risking countless lives? How can a peaceful society function when you don't know if someone could kill you with a mere touch? Should such people have their quirks disabled in some way to preserve society?

It's the Twice problem, but even worse.

mabels big day posted:

deku is gonna speak to a giant turtle and then touch shiggy's forehead and erase his quirk forever

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

It's the Twice problem, but even worse. Even if you just send him to prison you'd need to have even more of a horrific rights-violation than AfO got to safely contain him.

I imagine that part of Deku "saving" him will involve him realizing just how horrific everything he's done has been and willingly turning himself in(after Deku punches the All For One out of him.)

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Nephthys posted:

I feel like an AtLA ending was steadfastly rejected in the Hideout Raid arc where the guy who's entire plan revolved around mass removal of Quirks was consistently depicted as one of the worst monsters of the series and literally everything he did was considered abhorrently wrong. His Quirk Removal Bullets being stolen and used exclusively by the main villain thereafter just punctuated the point "Removing Quirks is not the solution to the societal problems" that was made.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

The only choice there is Aoyama.

WE CANNOT STOP TWINKLING

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Law's gonna show up and Room his pinky tips off.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Why does All For One want One For All again?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mraagvpeine posted:

Beyond the drive to destroy his arch-enemy? All For One is an actual kleptomaniac when it comes to Quirks, something he cops to when he takes the Pussycat lady's Quirk.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Mraagvpeine posted:

Because he can't have it. It's the same with Search: once he sees something wants, especially a quirk, he has a kleptomaniac urge to possess it thereafter.

Although, Search also solved a big problem he had with OFA: Deku can never truly hide from Shigaraki again.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mraagvpeine posted:

The answer to, "Why does All For One want x?", no matter what x is, is right there in his name.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I figure a part of it is also the desire to have his brother with him again.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean it's literally only quirk that has ever kept pace with his and it's user even defeated him on one occasion. Why wouldn't he want One for All and go to insane lengths to get it?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
He gave his brother a quirk to pass down that builds power.

I'm guessing his plan was to let it get very very strong then take it and it's power multiplying ability back those making himself very very very strong.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I feel like an AtLA ending was steadfastly rejected in the Hideout Raid arc where the guy who's entire plan revolved around mass removal of Quirks was consistently depicted as one of the worst monsters of the series and literally everything he did was considered abhorrently wrong. His Quirk Removal Bullets being stolen and used exclusively by the main villain thereafter just punctuated the point "Removing Quirks is not the solution to the societal problems" that was made.

Yeah, same. An ending where the solution is quirk removal or 'spend your life in a straight-jacket or die' just isn't a good one. Shigaraki is hard to defeat with all his AfO powers but the primary reason he's so dangerous is still his own natural Disintegration quirk. There is going to be another Shigaraki at some point. Heck, they will be another AfO probably. Society can't function if you just start removing quirks that are too dangerous. But Shigaraki genuinely is so dangerous and unstable that I can't see anyone except Deku ever trusting him to function in society again.

It's a really interesting problem. I think the self-sacrifice ending is the only one that makes sense.

Mraagvpeine posted:

On top of the reasons already named, he'd basically have finally forced some version of his brother to submit and would be able to keep him at his side for all eternity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
There’s no clean way to solve the quirk problem short of getting rid of all them because sooner or later you run into the 4 year old that creates supernovas

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He gave his brother a quirk to pass down that builds power.

I'm guessing his plan was to let it get very very strong then take it and it's power multiplying ability back those making himself very very very strong.

That would be a very silly plan, considering he could have just given it to someone already loyal to him.

He certainly wanted to turn his brother into a mindless proto-Nomu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

oh jay posted:

That would be a very silly plan, considering he could have just given it to someone already loyal to him.

He certainly wanted to turn his brother into a mindless proto-Nomu.

Incredibly Melodramatic, convoluted and kind of stupid plans to achieve power and position has been AFO's entire deal since he first appeared.