Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm hyped for MK too, but the bar is set incredibly low. The first one was dumb fun, but Annihilation was literally an unfinished workprint where the studio said "eh, good enough, why spend more money?" and theatrically released it with 100% placeholder VFX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ccs posted:

It’s just nonstop quips though. I know that’s a tenant of the mcu cause Whedon and all but real people don’t actually talk like this.

Well yeah that's why they are super.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I'd be more disappointed if MK ended up being good. If ever there's a series where the budget should not under any circumstances exceed $2m, its Mortal Kombat.

I marathoned Wondavision yesterday, enjoyed it at the time, and I've already forgotten 2/3rds of it. So, if nothing else, it's in line with the rest of the MCU.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pastamania posted:

I'd be more disappointed if MK ended up being good. If ever there's a series where the budget should not under any circumstances exceed $2m, its Mortal Kombat.

You saw the TV series, then? I wouldn't be shocked if the entire budget for 20 episodes didn't exceed $2m.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Ccs posted:

https://twitter.com/falconandwinter/status/1370426863970091009

I dunno, I’m gonna watch this show but I don’t feel a great rapport here. I guess it’s a buddy cop thing? I’m also worried because looking at the comments, it seems like Disney is astro turfing the hell out of it, tons of people that appear to be just marvel rebloggers posting how they love this character interaction and posting tribute videos that are just inside fair use guidelines.

Hi, I'm here to inform you Bucky is really, really popular in MCU fandom and I can assure you 99% of those comments are legit. Because he's very popular, and Sam-and-Bucky as a duo are definitely coasting along nicely on that popularity.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

cyclical posted:

Hi, I'm here to inform you Bucky is really, really popular in MCU fandom

Truly one of the great mysteries of our time

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

sticklefifer posted:

I'm hyped for MK too, but the bar is set incredibly low. The first one was dumb fun, but Annihilation was literally an unfinished workprint where the studio said "eh, good enough, why spend more money?" and theatrically released it with 100% placeholder VFX.

No CGI would've saved

Too bad you.
Will die.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

cyclical posted:

Hi, I'm here to inform you Bucky is really, really popular in MCU fandom and I can assure you 99% of those comments are legit. Because he's very popular, and Sam-and-Bucky as a duo are definitely coasting along nicely on that popularity.

Something Awful tends to be very cynical, for good and bad. Sometimes people here forget what is popular among average people.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

https://twitter.com/falconandwinter/status/1370426863970091009

I dunno, I’m gonna watch this show but I don’t feel a great rapport here. I guess it’s a buddy cop thing? I’m also worried because looking at the comments, it seems like Disney is astro turfing the hell out of it, tons of people that appear to be just marvel rebloggers posting how they love this character interaction and posting tribute videos that are just inside fair use guidelines.

Im seeing journalistic propaganda that is like "Wandavision might have been disappointing, but Falcon is gonna be amazing " which is just lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Perhaps we should judge the show based on the actual episode that hasn’t been released yet instead of small teaser clips presented without context and impressions from easily excitable Twitter randos?

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
As a guy who bitched long and loud about the ending of Wandavision, Wandavision was Cool and Good.

I would like FATWS to be Cool and Good too.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have a wild prediction that the show will be entertaining, maybe hint at some deeper story beats but ultimately play it safe because it's a very popular IP and Disney won't take major risks.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Daduzi posted:

Truly one of the great mysteries of our time

Sebastian Stan is hot.

Mystery solved.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Sebastian Stan is hot.

Mystery solved.

Yeah, that's the mystery. I mean, sure, you might notice him at the local 7-11 but in the MCU? He's half a Chris at best.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I noticed when watching Winter Soldier recently that he does look a lot like young Mark Hamill and he even had a scream toward the end of the movie that was uncannily similar to Luke's "that's not true, that's impossible" and now I get all the wishcasting I've seen Star Wars fans clamoring for.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cyclical posted:

Huh. I mean he seems like a nice guy and he’s got quite a jaw but...

Anyway I liked the captain America films a lot so i hope this is fun, it just feels like they’re missing a big star or a big hook. WandaVision has the big hook, Loki has the big star, this has....

Anyway I hope I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ccs posted:

Anyway I liked the captain America films a lot so i hope this is fun, it just feels like they’re missing a big star or a big hook. WandaVision has the big hook, Loki has the big star, this has....

Big set pieces.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Daduzi posted:

Yeah, that's the mystery. I mean, sure, you might notice him at the local 7-11 but in the MCU? He's half a Chris at best.

Which Chris?
Hunky Chris? Hunkier Chris? Bad Chris? or not-MCU but still considered hot by some Chris?

Doctor Nutt posted:

I noticed when watching Winter Soldier recently that he does look a lot like young Mark Hamill and he even had a scream toward the end of the movie that was uncannily similar to Luke's "that's not true, that's impossible" and now I get all the wishcasting I've seen Star Wars fans clamoring for.

Yeah, he gives a lot of young Mark Hamill vibes. Would be fun if he was given a role like that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Noted hunk Mark Hamill.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Which Chris?
Hunky Chris? Hunkier Chris? Bad Chris? or not-MCU but still considered hot by some Chris?

Yes

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The first episode will tell us what the hook is, hopefully. And if it doesn’t, then it’s probably not a great limited series!

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Hamill himself is aware of how munch Stan looks like him

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/1029047420771069952?s=20

radlum
May 13, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I have a wild prediction that the show will be entertaining, maybe hint at some deeper story beats but ultimately play it safe because it's a very popular IP and Disney won't take major risks.

This applies to every MCU and Star Wars show; being part of Disney is both a blessing and a curse.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Im seeing journalistic propaganda that is like "Wandavision might have been disappointing, but Falcon is gonna be amazing " which is just lol

That's not the established narrative, right? That Wandavision was disappointing? That would suck if so.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Daduzi posted:

That's not the established narrative, right? That Wandavision was disappointing? That would suck if so.

:eyepop:

metacritic user reviews is like 6.8 but seems to be a lot of people who haaaated the sitcom style and wanted more trad MCU stylings, which, gently caress'em

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

:hmmyes:

sebmojo posted:

metacritic user reviews is like 6.8 but seems to be a lot of people who haaaated the sitcom style and wanted more trad MCU stylings, which, gently caress'em

Yeah, some people said it was "too emotional" thus boring and they just wanted to see people punching each other, and cities being destroyed and the whole big explosions and lasers...and I'm not loving kidding, that some comments I've seen floating around. So I guess F&WS will be what they are looking for?**

**They are still gonna hate it lol

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was the same in this thread early on, many people didn’t like the sitcom style and preferred more standard mcu.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Personally, I didn't really care for the first couple of episodes. I think I liked episodes 4-8 a lot more than the others. Different strokes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All these people who hated it but still watched it the whole way through. Disney+ subs must be through the roof just for that show alone.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

Noted hunk Mark Hamill.

Wasn't Hamill considered quite good looking before he had a motorcycle crash between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back? Also, The Falcon & The Winter Soldiers hook is, at least going in to the first episode, the chemistry between Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan. The actual episode might reveal a narrative hook of some kind, which will probably center on the mystery of why the Flagsmashers are so strong, while building up Zemo and US Agent and generally thriller stuff similar to the Cap movies, but the real hook is going to be watching Mackie and Stan bouncing off each other for 6 episodes or whatever it is. If you don't like them then you probably won't enjoy the show regardless of what it is, and if you do you'll probably enjoy it regardless too.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I guess people needed more beam clashes in those first couple eps, for some reason??

the biggest draw of this show is someone getting Marvel Money to do something ambitious/weird, so its wild that people just wanted a TV show version of a regular mcu movie. they're gonna keep making those

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

tsob posted:

Wasn't Hamill considered quite good looking before he had a motorcycle crash between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back?

SW Mark and Harrison were the MCU Chris's of their day, yes.

Also, I'm not up on all the Twitter humor so I'm left wondering about the (intentionally?) misspelled "Sebation" on the card. :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh. I should probably watch the behind the scenes thing, but I would never have guessed that his head ear muff things were CGI.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Varinn posted:

I guess people needed more beam clashes in those first couple eps, for some reason??

the biggest draw of this show is someone getting Marvel Money to do something ambitious/weird, so its wild that people just wanted a TV show version of a regular mcu movie. they're gonna keep making those

My personal favorite episode was the Halloween one. I didn't care for the sitcom parts of the humor, but I cared about the mystery and Vision finding things out. I also didn't care that much about the literal beam clashes at the end. Vision walking to the edge of town and finding people stuck in endless loops or just frozen was exactly what I wanted though, and it took way too many episodes to get there imo.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I was surprised the Assembled didn't make a single mention of covid. There's a single shot near the end where every non-speaking character is wearing a mask (45:35), but all the shots before and after they have no masks.

There's interviews where the creators talk about how they would've done that scene differently if not for shooting restrictions, and I want to know the story there! How late was that scene filmed? Did people have to get tested? Was the original idea for all the townspeople to dogpile onto Wanda, or just cough frequently?

Unfortunately unlike say, the Frozen documentary, every single thing in the behind the scenes is positive. One would presume this is a project that never met a single creative or logistical challenge or disagreement.

I loved seeing all the pre-CGI pics, though, and learning that they switched out all the decor for the town center scenes overnight to meet their schedule.

Sivart13 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 15, 2021

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

New stuff!
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1371245994130739205

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Is FATWS supposed to lead into any other upcoming movie? What other movies would these two possibly show up in? Black Panther 2?

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Daduzi posted:

I don't know, but I've heard plenty of people in this thread and elsewhere claim that Disney "trolled" viewers by hinting at a popular character being around/doing anything important and then pulling the rug at the last second. Kind of seems like it shouldn't be surprising that people were rightfully disappointed that they took possibly the most boring route to "intentionally" irritate people.

It reminds me of Schrodinger's Joke or whatever I heard it called. Someone says something not funny and/or offensive, and it will be simultaneously just a joke and not a joke depending on how people react to it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i'm hoping that tf&tws gives me a reason to care about either of them. i've never found falcon interesting at all, and bucky seems to be a nothing more than a macguffin to throw at captain america whenever some Plot is needed

KittyEmpress posted:

My personal favorite episode was the Halloween one. I didn't care for the sitcom parts of the humor, but I cared about the mystery and Vision finding things out. I also didn't care that much about the literal beam clashes at the end. Vision walking to the edge of town and finding people stuck in endless loops or just frozen was exactly what I wanted though, and it took way too many episodes to get there imo.

yeah, same here. the first 3 eps were great if you liked the old-timey, gentle sitcom comedy, but imo the series was at its best around the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sivart13 posted:

I was surprised the Assembled didn't make a single mention of covid. There's a single shot near the end where every non-speaking character is wearing a mask (45:35), but all the shots before and after they have no masks.

There's interviews where the creators talk about how they would've done that scene differently if not for shooting restrictions, and I want to know the story there! How late was that scene filmed? Did people have to get tested? Was the original idea for all the townspeople to dogpile onto Wanda, or just cough frequently?

Actually you can see plenty of people wearing masks all throughout the doc. I'm a little fuzzy on all of the production details, but according to interviews with the cast, all the exterior Westview scenes were shot in LA this past August. So not only were they dealing with covid, but also the big wildfires.