Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That Loop Hero's a bit good, isn't it? I love games where I create my own destruction because I'm a dope, like some kind of Herbert West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I kinda wish it had just a little bit more interactivity, but they certainly made something very charming there. I'm actually kind of intrigued by the story and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next boss has to say.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Loop Hero definitely needs faster speed options. Luckily, the devs are working on this.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I bought Siralim Ultimate and something about it just makes it hard to look at. I think this’ll be a refund, it looks like my kind of game but my brain just goes “nope” and refuses to absorb the text it throws at me.

I refunded too. Which is a shame, as I got some enjoyment out of the previous entries.

About the third or fourth time the game could not stop giggling to itself about making a 'tehe u peed ur pants' joke I decided there wasn't enough to the game that interested me.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Drakenel posted:

I refunded too. Which is a shame, as I got some enjoyment out of the previous entries.

About the third or fourth time the game could not stop giggling to itself about making a 'tehe u peed ur pants' joke I decided there wasn't enough to the game that interested me.

Yeaaah while I love the gameplay a lot the humor is godawful. The stupid piss jokes only detract from the game (It doesn't seem to want to know if it's serious or not in general) and honestly getting told how horrible I am for killing a Treasure Golem gets old after the 20th time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I feel like playing Siralim and not just mashing the Next button during dialog is the wrong way to play that series.

Mindlessly grind cool party comps and accept that it has a story only because games "need" to.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, the writing has always been forgettable to bad. This one seems to be worse than the average, though.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Agreed that the Siralim story seems pretty dumb and childish but I think it's pretty easy to ignore.
I've never played any of the earlier ones but I am seriously loving this, my party spams so many spells after casting a single spell and it seems crazy and I feel like this could be even more overpowered than it already feels.
Excited to unlock the other classes and see how hard the game can be broken/how powerful I can make some setups :D

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yup, story and humor in Siralim is godawful, but fortunately it seems pretty much gone by post-game.
Speaking of, I'm getting my rear end handed to me by some of these nether bosses.

Picked up Grovetender, and having a single monster that buffs itself to 10x the stats by turn 3, while simultaneously draining the stats of every single enemy, is pretty fun.
Now I just need to find some way to deal with it getting confused and scorned constantly.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009
With Siralim Ultimate, I pretty much button mashed through the story (I seem to recall the spider god section being the absolute worst) but that's the way I tend to play any game like this.

What I really enjoy about the game is the team building and the plethora of options in this space. I definitely prefer the way this is handled in this version compared to the previous version.

I think is you're not sold on it after half an hour to an hour of game time, it is probably not going to win you over.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

bovis posted:

Agreed that the Siralim story seems pretty dumb and childish but I think it's pretty easy to ignore.
I've never played any of the earlier ones but I am seriously loving this, my party spams so many spells after casting a single spell and it seems crazy and I feel like this could be even more overpowered than it already feels.
Excited to unlock the other classes and see how hard the game can be broken/how powerful I can make some setups :D

Yeah this game tickles my fancy in the same way Disgaea does. I'm currently running a 4x gryphon Tribalist and it's ABSURD. Basic gist of it:

quote:

Monster A: Whenever another Griffon attacks, this one attacks another enemy too. I gave it a trait that makes it so it and adjacent enemies also lose 40% defense whenever it attacks.

Monster B: 5% less damage taken for each Griffon fighting on my team. I also gave it a trait so it counts a 2 more, plus a character class perk that counts for 3. (So a total of 11, 55% damage reduction) I also gave it another trait that makes my monsters take 10% less damage for each turn they've taken, to a max of 90%

Monster C: 7% chance to take another turn for each griffon. That's a 81% chance to taken other turn. I also gave it a trait that heals it to full AND gives another turn when it kills something. You can probably see the loop going on with Monster A already. It also has a third trait that it attacks a monster if another one of my monsters crits it.

Monster D: When one of my Griffon gets a buff, they ALL get a buff. It also revives a monster with 50% health whenever it attacks, and has a 50% chance to revive itself whenever it dies, because gently caress you.

Monster E: It can't cast spells manually, but shares the spells it has with its allies, and gives everyone higher stats depending on how many gems it has. Also generic 25% damage reduction.

Monster F: Whenever it attacks or is attacked, it gains Shelled (next enemy hit is completely blocked) Thanks to Monster D, this applies to my entire loving team lol. And I gave it another trait that makes it so whenever an enemy casts a spell, this monster attacks it.

This isn't even close to being fully optimized and it's still incredibly strong. I'm just running around on 5x realm instability utterly destroying everything in sight. My gryphons just ATTACK FOREVER, for ridiculous damage. The 7% chance to take another turn gryphon is absolutely stupid in many ways (especially when Tribalist lets you have your monsters count as... 11?), you can make so many broken builds around it imo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

This kind of utterly ridiculous poo poo is exactly what I play Siralim for. I barely even know what the story of most of the games even is.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I had to force myself to pick something other than tribalist this time around, since I played that way too much with the earlier version. Went with Trickster to start with, which was fun, if pretty unpredictable and chaotic at times.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I think there may just be some actual infinite attacking loops now.

Gryphons have a gryphon that attack whenever another gryphon attacks. Doesn't stack with the same trait, but you can pick up Sidewinder (follow up attack on a crit), all the centaur stuff, Valkyrie scout, etc)

If you pair that with the wolpertinger that casts a matching scourge spell whenever you attack... oh dear.

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, I had to force myself to pick something other than tribalist this time around, since I played that way too much with the earlier version. Went with Trickster to start with, which was fun, if pretty unpredictable and chaotic at times.

I started with hell knight, but got stuck at some point and decided to make a gryphon team.

Holy poo poo, gryphons.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Finished Wildfire. Really solid relatively fast paced stealth game. Check it out if you like Gunpoint and Mark of the Ninja.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Yami Fenrir posted:

I think there may just be some actual infinite attacking loops now.

Gryphons have a gryphon that attack whenever another gryphon attacks. Doesn't stack with the same trait, but you can pick up Sidewinder (follow up attack on a crit), all the centaur stuff, Valkyrie scout, etc)

If you pair that with the wolpertinger that casts a matching scourge spell whenever you attack... oh dear.

I started with hell knight, but got stuck at some point and decided to make a gryphon team.

Holy poo poo, gryphons.
How does your Gryphon build deal with modifiers like "Team starts with debuff: Scorned/Cursed" or high reflect damage? On my current trickster build they are the bane of my monsters, since they crit for 60k+.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

How does your Gryphon build deal with modifiers like "Team starts with debuff: Scorned/Cursed" or high reflect damage? On my current trickster build they are the bane of my monsters, since they crit for 60k+.

Scorned? You can wait it out or pack mass dispel or equivalent. High reflect damage? resurrect triggers on automatic follow up attacks (and I think you can even resurrect yourself with it? Might have been the tribalist revive though). Packing some lifesteal (I think one of the bats has one for the entire team) would help too.

a gryphyon team with tribalist, the damage reduction things from the relevant apocalypse and doomguard traits as well as the automatic attack Shelling for the entire team can stay incredibly safe. I've also packed a billion "On damage" buffs onto my gear since it spreads itself across the entire squad.

Btw, do we have a siralim thread? I've looked but wasn't able to find one.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

Btw, do we have a siralim thread? I've looked but wasn't able to find one.

I don't think we do but would be cool to have one so we can theorycraft and discuss team setups!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jagged Jim posted:

Nah, Lu Bu is literally Godzilla. or Gamera, I guess.

:hmmyes:

I completely forgot about the mission in 4.1 where you just have to scramble while the giant lizard does his thing and everyone goes "oh gently caress what are we gonna do about THAT??"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, go right ahead and start one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I’m excited for a Siralim thread, make it! I’m building a defiler debuff build so none of my enemies will have stats.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Created a Siralim thread with a really basic OP :D
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962134

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Looks good to me. We can fill the rest out as it comes good.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I have played a lot of Loop Hero in the past week or so.

The only achievements I have left are pretty drat grindy, so I think I might just be done here.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That you can 40 hours of value out of a tiny fifteen dollar game like this sure is nothing to sneeze at.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Extremely stupid question incoming: I got an official wireless Xbox One controller and the internet tells me that it uses Micro-USB cords. I was under the impression that I already had a ton of Micro-USB cords. Evidently I don't though? The place where you would plug in the cord on the Xbox One controller is clearly a different size. Everywhere I google says it uses Micro-USB. My Steam controller uses what I thought was Micro-USB, so does my older Android phone. So one of two things must be true, either I have no idea what Micro-USB is or everyone on the internet is wrong. Please guide an idiot that just bought a new controller and wants to be able to play Forza without the controller loving up which is actually the real problem here. A lot of the time it wont register my inputs and I've seen other people online with similar issues. I thought plugging it in would fix it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Extremely stupid question incoming: I got an official wireless Xbox One controller and the internet tells me that it uses Micro-USB cords. I was under the impression that I already had a ton of Micro-USB cords. Evidently I don't though? The place where you would plug in the cord on the Xbox One controller is clearly a different size. Everywhere I google says it uses Micro-USB. My Steam controller uses what I thought was Micro-USB, so does my older Android phone. So one of two things must be true, either I have no idea what Micro-USB is or everyone on the internet is wrong. Please guide an idiot that just bought a new controller and wants to be able to play Forza without the controller loving up which is actually the real problem here. A lot of the time it wont register my inputs and I've seen other people online with similar issues. I thought plugging it in would fix it.

The newest Xbone controllers that came out in November(I think) use newer and better USB C instead. From what you told it's 100% that.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Sininu posted:

The newest Xbone controllers use newer and better USB C instead. From what you told it's 100% that.

gently caress. Thank you sir.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just played through the Black Skylands open playtest, and wow that game has a lot going for it and I can't wait for the full release. Mechanics feel really good, from fighting to flying. The artwork is great as well. Definitely worth a try.

trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbF0L4AsNsg

some gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pph_CCTFM1g

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1143810/Black_Skylands/

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 15, 2021

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Any trip report about "Between the Stars"? It seems good, I get a starpoint gemini vibe from it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

gently caress. Thank you sir.

If you bought it new in retail packaging, check under the white insert to see if it came with one. AFAIK the only new bone controller that doesn't come with one is the controller + Windows 10 Xbox Wireless receiver bundle because it comes with a USB extender instead.

-

This is apparently only true for the separate black controller + cable bundle and not all controllers. See below.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 15, 2021

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

Is there a better way to farm metal scraps in Loop Hero than just doing countless runs with the rogue? Trying to unlock the supply depot is getting too grindy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

rain dogs posted:

Is there a better way to farm metal scraps in Loop Hero than just doing countless runs with the rogue? Trying to unlock the supply depot is getting too grindy.

Make sure to have 4 level 2+ watchtowers, then put a ton of monsters on the 4 squares near the camp.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Isn't the rogue like the worst thing to farm metal scraps, as he'll only get a max of ~11 items per loop? Plus a few more from quests but you get my point.

And as always my advice is to not try to grind resources, but rather always go for the currently highest boss kill. Harder loops give more resources and have higher max resource caps, in addition to, you know, getting familiar with the new boss and/or randomly killing them through a lucky run.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Bloodplay it again posted:

If you bought it new in retail packaging, check under the white insert to see if it came with one. AFAIK the only new bone controller that doesn't come with one is the controller + Windows 10 Xbox Wireless receiver bundle because it comes with a USB extender instead.

The series X controllers do not come with USB-C cables, just a pair of AA batteries. Which is a nice surprise when you open it up and realize you can't plug it in.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Serephina posted:

Isn't the rogue like the worst thing to farm metal scraps, as he'll only get a max of ~11 items per loop? Plus a few more from quests but you get my point.

Don't all your overflow trophies instantly turn into resources? You can get +30 trophies easily per loop.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Sonel posted:

The series X controllers do not come with USB-C cables, just a pair of AA batteries. Which is a nice surprise when you open it up and realize you can't plug it in.

My mistake. Upon further investigation, there is a black controller + cable bundle for $60, which is the same MSRP as each of the controllers individually. If you want black, you can get a USB-C cable included, but if you want white, red, or blue, you've gotta buy it separately.

FWIW, I tried two of the newest controllers and they both had issues with the A and Y buttons that were easily replicated in the controller test section of the Xbox Accessories app from the Windows Store, so I bought a new 2ba 2kwhatever white/purple controller on ebay instead. I miss the nicer grips, but I was constantly having issues double-jumping in platformers. I tested them by holding down the button and rolling my thumb while pressing down to see if it'd rapidly detect the input in the hw test part of the app. X and B were fine on both, but A and Y were busted. :(

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 15, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harminoff posted:

Just played through the [bold]Black Skylands[/bold] open playtest, and wow that game has a lot going for it and I can't wait for the full release. Mechanics feel really good, from fighting to flying. The artwork is great as well. Definitely worth a try.

Wow, that detailed pixel top-down art style is really, really compelling to me. I'm not sure what exactly it's making me nostalgic for -- old Zelda games are way more abstract, and stuff like Ultima 7 is isometric, but something about that art hits a trigger in my brain

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

bamhand posted:

Don't all your overflow trophies instantly turn into resources? You can get +30 trophies easily per loop.

If you fill up the loop with spider nests and vampire castles you can easily get over 100 trophies per loop. That's how you get the Fence achievement (all orange items in one trade).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can't stop playing Snowrunner, the power creep as you find new upgrades and unlock new trucks is real satisfying. It's almost like a Metroid thing because you can backtrack and get to new places with certain upgrades you didn't have before. The gameplay is still just driving trucks around and getting stuck in mud which I find fun, but the constant reinforcement of levels, unlocks, and new tasks is why I've played this game for 50 hours and Spintires for only maybe 5.

The thing I really want that will never happen is a management meta-layer to this game; let me run a business with AI drivers like Truck Sim and upgrade factories as I supply them like Transport Tycoon. This isn't that game at all but I keep thinking about it.