Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Terminator 3 wasn't that bad, it's just Terminator 2 is a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Which terminator 3 though.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Volcott posted:

Which terminator 3 though.

The Claire Danes one.

It certainly was better than whatever Genysis is though that isn't saying much.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm that weirdo that actually liked Salvation best because while it was cheesy B-movie crap, that's pretty much the only place to take Terminator as a franchise in instead of trying to recreate 1 and 2 again and again and again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mind the walrus posted:

I'm that weirdo that actually liked Salvation best because while it was cheesy B-movie crap, that's pretty much the only place to take Terminator as a franchise in instead of trying to recreate 1 and 2 again and again and again.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines deserves credit for having the balls to let Skynet win.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines deserves credit for having the balls to let Skynet win.

Ish? I mean Connor lives and now has a base of operations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
In the sense that they couldn't prevent Judgment Day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

In the sense that they couldn't prevent Judgment Day.

Exactly. The theme of T1 is "this will happen, get prepared". T2 is about stopping it happening, but while Cameron was wise enough to drop the original ending where Judgement Day is unambiguously prevented for an open-ended coda about hope, logically for Sarah to stop Judgement Day it had to have happened. It would have been easy for T3 to rinse and repeat and bat Judgement Day down the road for a while. Instead it chose to resolve the argument of predestination versus free will by saying all roads lead to the same place, but you get to choose the road you take.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So it just does the first one again. Which is lame

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I really enjoyed Dark Fate because I am big fuckin gay for Mackenzie Davis.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Going through Stargate Atlantis for first time, overall lots of fun. Bit of an issue season 3 ep 3, “Irresistible,” where Richard Kind is a guy on a planet where everyone in his village loves him and does whatever he says because he has a special potion. Fine when he’s trying to get a spaceship or medical supplies, super problematic when discussion gets into his six wives.

It’s a lighthearted episode but very similar to season one of Jessica Jones, although Kind isn’t maliciously hurting people, but wish they’d cut the stuff about women not being able to say no and just had him trying to steal artifacts.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
SFDebris did a nice review on that episode once.
And at least Jessica Jones treated the guy with absolute mind control powers as horribly serious as it could be.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

Exactly. The theme of T1 is "this will happen, get prepared". T2 is about stopping it happening, but while Cameron was wise enough to drop the original ending where Judgement Day is unambiguously prevented for an open-ended coda about hope, logically for Sarah to stop Judgement Day it had to have happened. It would have been easy for T3 to rinse and repeat and bat Judgement Day down the road for a while. Instead it chose to resolve the argument of predestination versus free will by saying all roads lead to the same place, but you get to choose the road you take.

Not sure about the Christian tradition, but that is the standard Muslim interpretation of predestination.

The story I was always told was that a servant was entrusted with a beautiful saddle. He needed money, so he sold it. His master was going to give him the same value for the saddle when he came back. So, the servant ends up in the same place, materially speaking, but a very different position in terms of his virtue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Skynet enslaves people because it has to do that to exist. Like, exist at all. It was made by bootstrapping off a terminator chip that was found in the aftermath of its attempt to kill Sarah Conner. If it kills Kyle Reese; then John Conner is never born. If John Conner is never born, it never has to send a terminator back to kill Sarah. If it never has to send a terminator back; they never find the chip. If they never find the chip, it’s never made.

Therefore, it enslaves humans because any version of Skynet that doesn’t is never created.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

DeafNote posted:

SFDebris did a nice review on that episode once.
And at least Jessica Jones treated the guy with absolute mind control powers as horribly serious as it could be.

Yeah if I remember correctly there were people in the victim support group who had "only" been forced to do menial things (like give him stuff) and we're still horrified by the experience.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Skynet enslaves people because it has to do that to exist. Like, exist at all. It was made by bootstrapping off a terminator chip that was found in the aftermath of its attempt to kill Sarah Conner. If it kills Kyle Reese; then John Conner is never born. If John Conner is never born, it never has to send a terminator back to kill Sarah. If it never has to send a terminator back; they never find the chip. If they never find the chip, it’s never made.

Therefore, it enslaves humans because any version of Skynet that doesn’t is never created.

Get outta here with your stable time loops.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The newest Terminator was probably the best version of T3. There's an apocalyptic future without invalidating T2's ending. And we get to see how a Terminator copes with successfully carrying out its mission but not having a way if going back to its time.

Sadly, the migrant concentration camps probably won't be getting a chance to age badly anytime soon.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I do want to give a shout-out to the Sarah Conner Chronicles Episode where the Terminator works on building Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism only to get wealthy enough to build the building he was supposed to kill someone in and sealing himself in the wall until that time came. That's some great time traveling storytelling.

Shame about the rest of the show.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

VinylonUnderground posted:

Shame about the rest of the show.

Haven't watched it since it aired (and TV Series have made a long way since then) but was it bad? I remember linking it way more than the T movies of the same time. The abrupt ending due to the cancellation is about the only thing I remember plot-wise though :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Haven't watched it since it aired (and TV Series have made a long way since then) but was it bad? I remember linking it way more than the T movies of the same time. The abrupt ending due to the cancellation is about the only thing I remember plot-wise though :v:

Warning that VinylonUnderground is a serial troll formerly known as Incelshok Na when he was trolling the Babylon 5 threads.

TSCC was actually a good show. It does have some big flaws, such as Cameron appearing to be a perfectly normal girl up to the moment she's revealed as a Terminator but never acting that way again even in the same circumstances, but it also did the most interesting things with the concept and actually injected stakes for the characters. Vick's Chip in S1 is probably the best episode; we get to see a Terminator in true long term infiltration mode, including the disquieting concept of it using a human wife as cover.

Also you get to see a Terminator singing "Donald, Whaur's Your Troosers?", which frankly is worth it by itself.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Dark Fate was ruined a little by T2 making a whole point out of how you have to flip a switch to make the Terminators neural net brain teachable, and then in Dark Fate the Terminator just learns stuff all by himself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

evobatman posted:

Dark Fate was ruined a little by T2 making a whole point out of how you have to flip a switch to make the Terminators neural net brain teachable, and then in Dark Fate the Terminator just learns stuff all by himself.

You're thinking of the extended cuts of T2. The scene in the theatrical cut just said they could learn, no switch required.

I do prefer the extended version, though. It has a better version of the mirror surgery scene from the original movie and also adds the confrontation between John and Sarah where he first takes on the mantle of leader.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

packetmantis posted:

I really enjoyed Dark Fate because I am big fuckin gay for Mackenzie Davis.

I always think people are talking about mazkenzie crook when i hear the name lol.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Ha, I just started watching this too and had the exact same thoughts

It's called "male gaze" and once you notice it, you'll never unsee it.

So many times the camera gets placed right behind and to the side of a female actor so that her breasts make up a third of the shot while the action is going on in front of her.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Going through Stargate Atlantis for first time, overall lots of fun. Bit of an issue season 3 ep 3, “Irresistible,” where Richard Kind is a guy on a planet where everyone in his village loves him and does whatever he says because he has a special potion. Fine when he’s trying to get a spaceship or medical supplies, super problematic when discussion gets into his six wives.

It’s a lighthearted episode but very similar to season one of Jessica Jones, although Kind isn’t maliciously hurting people, but wish they’d cut the stuff about women not being able to say no and just had him trying to steal artifacts.

I remember one where some recurring-space-larrakin (same guy? ep?) has used his advanced knowledge to install himself as lord of a medieval society with the six wives and everything. The community is like 'yeah, its exactly what it looks like but now we have clean water and mills and all that good stuff and frankly we're all for it'

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

Warning that VinylonUnderground is a serial troll formerly known as Incelshok Na when he was trolling the Babylon 5 threads.

TSCC was actually a good show. It does have some big flaws, such as Cameron appearing to be a perfectly normal girl up to the moment she's revealed as a Terminator but never acting that way again even in the same circumstances, but it also did the most interesting things with the concept and actually injected stakes for the characters. Vick's Chip in S1 is probably the best episode; we get to see a Terminator in true long term infiltration mode, including the disquieting concept of it using a human wife as cover.

Also you get to see a Terminator singing "Donald, Whaur's Your Troosers?", which frankly is worth it by itself.

Garrett Dillahunt as a terminator is really good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

A time traveling robot named Chrome Martin was a bit on the nose though.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Which one of the terminator 3s had the lovely digitally altered Arnold?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

BgRdMchne posted:

The one with Christian Bale has about 5 seconds of them before the skin melts off. It's been years since I've seen it, but I remember it being pretty rough.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So what you're saying is Skynet is Roko's Basilisk.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jedit posted:

John's season-long rebellious phase drama sucks rear end, too. And the showrunners had no loving idea what they were doing with the overall plot and themes of the show. And then it abruptly ends.

But it did do some fun stuff, so it's a decently entertaining watch.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The best bit of SCC is when John is trying to fix some part of Cameron's reactor in her chest, and is having some kind of sexual awakening about a killer robot pretending to be his sister (and that probably killed him in the future). It's amazingly awkward and messed up, it owns.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Chubby Henparty posted:

I remember one where some recurring-space-larrakin (same guy? ep?) has used his advanced knowledge to install himself as lord of a medieval society with the six wives and everything. The community is like 'yeah, its exactly what it looks like but now we have clean water and mills and all that good stuff and frankly we're all for it'

Go back to the Bronze Age and this was a fairly regular occurrence, except just with some warlord from the next tribe over with slightly better war technology.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

BgRdMchne posted:

Pretty sure all of the Terminator 3s, but the most recent one looked pretty good.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
TSCC had this really cool scene of a SWAT team vs a Terminator hiding in a motel, that they didn't film, probably due to budget constrictions and as a result, it just shows their body hitting the hotel pool one by one. It was actually much more disturbing than showing the fight, as it conveyed some pretty dreadful sense of futility.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZFkPiFlkE

e X has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Mar 15, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

e X posted:

TSCC had this really cool scene of a SWAT team vs a Terminator hiding in a motel, that they didn't film, probably due to budget constrictions and as a result, it just shows their body hitting the hotel pool one by one. It was actually much more disturbing than showing the fight, as it conveyed some pretty dreadful sense of futility.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWZFkPiFlkE

Admittedly, I know very little about music licensing costs, but was shooting the scene really THAT much more expensive than getting the rights to a Johnny Cash song? Or were they going to play it during the never filmed fight (which would probably look silly as hell)?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

AceOfFlames posted:

Admittedly, I know very little about music licensing costs, but was shooting the scene really THAT much more expensive than getting the rights to a Johnny Cash song? Or were they going to play it during the never filmed fight (which would probably look silly as hell)?

Neither do I, and the cost-saving mature thing is only really something I heard on the internet, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

AceOfFlames posted:

Artists (or whoever owns the rights to the song) get to name their price, basically.

The frequency with which Johnny Cash songs pop up on shows/films suggests to me they probably don't charge crazy amounts like a Beatles or Led Zeppelin do. ASCAP says "the majority" of clearance fees are between $20-45,0000. I'd guess that's a lot cheaper than filming a complex action sequence.