Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I don't like this plan, namely because quite a few interesting and fun boons straight up require at least an attack, special, cast, or dash. With this plan, you only have cast and dash to work with, so are effectively locking yourself out of an entire build path by committing to leaving two slots open.

Probably rocks for Tartarus and no-boon runs, but I wouldn't do this normally. Aphrodite and Artemis can scale to the moon. You can play baseball with Athena or Poseidon.

Regarding Aphrodite specifically, weak reduces damage taken, and with her boon that makes weak enemies take more damage, you have a way around the diminishing returns for pomming your attack. Which also boosts whatever other nonsense you have in the cast, dash, and special slots.

I agree with this - the only time I’ll go no boons keepsake with Arthur is if I get a dad hammer at the start with the option to go hoarding slash, then I just sell every boon I get (save for a dash) and stack gold.

Both times I’ve done this were extremely clean runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Okay I finally took the plunge and bought this. After seeing three days of my life come and go in the blink of an eye, I finally did my first successful run. I'm still having some trouble repeating the deed (jesus christ the Satyr Temple enemies are absolute bullet sponges compared to the rest, they always end up screwing me out of a much-needed death defiance), but I'm glad that the Punishment system allows you to really start racking up the underworld currencies, since one of the few low notes of the game up to that point is that it was extremely stingy with gems, diamonds and whatnot unless you went out of your way to do "chore runs" just to check off the last boon, keepsake or daedalus hammer you needed on your prophecy list.

By the way, does the game have any kind of order of preference as to what line of NPC dialogue you're gonna get? I've finally got some nectar surplus to start unlocking some backstories and sidequests, but I feel like there's at least three different paths that have me holding out for getting information from a third character, but they instead keep talking to me about which level I cleared or which piece of furniture I bought, which is kinda frustrating when you only get one line of dialogue per run. I know pacing out the NPC interactions serves as motivation for your next run, but I really wish there was a dialogue selector so you could focus on whichever sidequest you're trying to do.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

As I understand it, no. If there are 2+ non-generic (ie generates an "!" above the NPC's head) dialogue options available, then it's random as to which one you get.

Getting my second win took more net runs than my first. Not sure how that happened

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 11, 2021

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Hello Sailor posted:

As I understand it, no. If there are 2+ non-generic (ie generates an "!" above the NPC's head) dialogue options available, then it's random as to which one you get.

Getting my second win took more net runs than my first. Not sure how that happened

Yeah after seeing this video on the game's dialogue system it appears to be more sophisticated than it appears at first, though still mostly randomized. I guess it's just bad timing on starting the sidequests just as I got my first win, so everybody's talking about that instead of my lyre lessons :argh:

And I got two wins in a row (the first one with all my death defiances unspent, too, which is what you get when you have the rail and grab the daedalus hammer that basically turns your special into a nuke andd combine it with a chaos boon for extra special damage), which made me think it was gonna be smooth sailing from then on, but even before I started turning up the heat I started losing again. Feels like you need a good balance of close/ranged attacks spec'd to absurdly high damage levels, good mobility and protection. I haven't figured out what's my ideal set of boons yet, but I'm leaning towards heavy crits for my stronger damage-dealer (so main attack for the bow, special with the rail, and so on), with Hermes's extra dashes and Athena's deflect dash.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I think I’m close to done here. I have unlocked every aspect of every weapon at max level, I’ve cleared every plot and maxed every relationship and companion. I’m missing a couple fish and a couple things from the contractor, plus some of the resource director titles. The only substantial thing I have left is a 32 heat run, which I haven’t tried yet, because I kind of don’t want Hades to be over. Amazing game, amazing journey.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
Did my first EM3 fight last night and wow that was a trip.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s pretty great (aesthetically, idk if I’d want to handle EM3 Asterius without a ranged weapon even if Theseus is easier) the first two are natural extensions of their original fights and then fuckin Theseus shows up with his Rambo-rear end outfit and a gilded chariot ready to laugh manically as he mows you down.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
On a good feeling Chaos shield run (Ares & Dionysus & Demeter?? it's a little hectic but is working well) and got the Satyr sack for Cerberus and my boss texts me like "hey we have that rescheduled team meeting starting right now, where are you?"

wish me luck in getting back into that vibe in an hour y'all

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

It’s pretty great (aesthetically, idk if I’d want to handle EM3 Asterius without a ranged weapon even if Theseus is easier) the first two are natural extensions of their original fights and then fuckin Theseus shows up with his Rambo-rear end outfit and a gilded chariot ready to laugh manically as he mows you down.

Meanwhile, I feel like Theseus kinda fulfills the prophecy of being too dumb to notice that Daedalus made the outfit as a joke, and as an insult to the user. I find him significantly easier to handle in EM3 since his phase one is so much more predictable and its easier to keep track of his position. Phase two usually ends before he leaves the initial god cast. And if it doesn't, it's usually one or two taps to down him.

EM2 Lernie is the most likely to wreck my poo poo other than EM4. I've gotten better recently since I'm not moving unnecessarily as much, which means I end up in the lava less and am more aware of my positioning.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I put this down for a week or two, picked it up again yesterday and got 3 back to back clears :getin: I only had 2 in total previously out of like 50. I did it twice with the spear and once with the bow. Just tried a sword run and I still really don't like the close up weapons that much, I never seem to get as much damage going on and always seem to drop a life or two before the final fight

what I have learned though is that Tidal Dash is ridiculously good

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The bow is my least favorite weapon but god drat does the Chiron aspect make this game incredibly easy

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
I may be brokebrained but I think I like the zag bow the most out of the bow aspects even though its probably the weakest. Now that its +15% crit I just like getting one of the multishot hammers with artemis on it. Hera/Rama is probably better for big damage shots though.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Dyz posted:

I may be brokebrained but I think I like the zag bow the most out of the bow aspects even though its probably the weakest. Now that its +15% crit I just like getting one of the multishot hammers with artemis on it. Hera/Rama is probably better for big damage shots though.

I find crit to be incredibly underwhelming on anything but excaliber tbh. Just doesn’t do enough damage to overcome the fact that it doesn’t apply a status effect and activate the mirror talent.

It’s also okay on the Chiron special but at this point I feel like anything on Chiron special is super good, aside from stuff that doesn’t stack like Aphrodite.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I find crit to be incredibly underwhelming on anything but excaliber tbh. Just doesn’t do enough damage to overcome the fact that it doesn’t apply a status effect and activate the mirror talent.

It’s also okay on the Chiron special but at this point I feel like anything on Chiron special is super good, aside from stuff that doesn’t stack like Aphrodite.

Ive had doubleshot builds that hit 1000 per arrow when it crit, which with artemis is every 3rd shot. I cant remember if I had a chaos boon or not but the bows main attack is still pretty chunky.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
I'm bad at this game and haven't gotten more than 12% or so on the butterfly keepsake, any suggestions for the best way to get that achievement?

E: I have played through to the epilogue and gotten almost every other achievement so my skill level is unlikely to improve further.

drunkencarp fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 12, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Do a lot of ranged damage. Eris + Zeus (restart until you get it), for example, will mince Tartarus and make avoiding damage much easier.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

And I think that does it! Every weapon, every keepsake, every relationship maxed, all three statues... I might come back to this game for fun from time to time, but I think I'm ready for a break!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Holy poo poo, I actually did it.

The 80% heal from Stubborn defiance + Touch of Styx Dark did a lot of work here.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just had two incredibly satisfying runs. One was with a semi automatic rail gun that had chain lightning on attack, the other was fists with stacking doom. This game is just a joy to play :allears:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Nostalgamus posted:

Holy poo poo, I actually did it.

The 80% heal from Stubborn defiance + Touch of Styx Dark did a lot of work here.

Your post inspired me to give it another go today, loving finally with the 32 heat..

In most of my 32 heat attempts I've felt pretty starved for boons, and this was no different.. I was going to try again to get Zeus/Poseidon going but instead tried to play very conservatively. I used Athena's keepsake to get the dash, then Zeus keepsake to for the attack, then the Pom for one area, and finally Skelly's Tooth.

I was pretty underpowered, and I'm a bit frustrated that if I hadn't gotten Patroclus' room for Kiss of Styx Premium, it would not have been a successful run. But I can finally go back to just freestyling whatever and having fun.. All my story stuff is long over, but maybe I'll finish out the decorations at the house contractor?

Edit:
Grabbed the full security log if that's of interest

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 14, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
This rear end in a top hat hid in a corner during a duo fight and left me to dodge artemis endlessly because I couldn't find him. :argh:

That's fine I was doomed anyways. I burnt through 3 DD's on that duo fight because for some reason benefits package on high heat makes enemies have regenerating damage control shields. Without a fast-attacking weapon I had to focus enemies down to kill anything. And focusing something down on a duo fight where you take damage staying in one place was an unwinnable situation. I couldn't deal damage until I whittled through 4-5 hits + whatever they regenerate in that time. Just to start doing damage to one enemy.

Maybe the trick I'm missing is learning not to take damage control with a slow attacking weapon. Damage control is a small hurdle with the fists/rail but quite a nightmare for 32 heat sword.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm late to the party. Just picked this up, keep getting my rear end kicked by Meg. Very fun game, great presentation. Never really vibed with Supergiant's other stuff but always had a very "are ya winning" feeling towards them because it's nice to see cool, talented folks succeed.

But more importantly, is that the loving riff from At Doom's Gate??

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Finally kicked the poo poo out of Hades. Felt very good to clown on him for once. Now to get through with the other weapons

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Got my first clear on run 29, using the gun with Eris with hangover stacks and crits. Took the anvil at the final shop, and kept the spread Special and lost the short range Attack, which ended up saving me completely. I would've been hosed with the short range Attack, I don't know how the hell you'd use that thing.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I've noticed that Megaera resents Zagreus for buying upgrades at the mirror, and is also angry at Nyx for setting the mirror up for him, but does she have special dialog in the event you spend a key to undo all your darkness upgrades and then fight her?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

A good poster posted:

I've noticed that Megaera resents Zagreus for buying upgrades at the mirror, and is also angry at Nyx for setting the mirror up for him, but does she have special dialog in the event you spend a key to undo all your darkness upgrades and then fight her?

Nope, surprisingly. I went for it cause I thought it was plot relevant and no mention before or afterwards.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A good poster posted:

She does, or can rather because of the way the dialogue system works.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

But more importantly, is that the loving riff from At Doom's Gate??

For legal reasons we must assure you that it is not.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Nope, surprisingly. I went for it cause I thought it was plot relevant and no mention before or afterwards.

It was added in a later update, actually.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Is there a secret to EM4 Hades third phase when doing the fists

The constant teleports really cut down on DPS uptime

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I just did a rail run taking scattering shot for the first time last night because I needed it for the prophecy and...

...why did I sleep for so long on such a fun hammer upgrade? I mean, I think it's because I interpreted it like the spear and bow spreads where they add an utterly useless extra damage vector at 45-degree angles from you.

But this thing's a loving shotgun.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Finally started this game up a few days ago. Super fun loop and gameplay. Something very satisfying about dying over and over to a hydra and then punching it to death with lightning.

I also just discovered I can have more than one duo boon, which I did not expect frankly.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I got the secret gun aspect and i love the conversation with hades for that one.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I just did a rail run taking scattering shot for the first time last night because I needed it for the prophecy and...

...why did I sleep for so long on such a fun hammer upgrade? I mean, I think it's because I interpreted it like the spear and bow spreads where they add an utterly useless extra damage vector at 45-degree angles from you.

But this thing's a loving shotgun.

One thing that remained consistent for me through various playthroughs was the fact that I should try out anything new on offer, especially if it doesn't seem like something I would enjoy. Some of the most fun was when I picked up a hammer or boon that gave a power that I would normally avoid in other games. But, only if I actively adapted my play style to make it work well. It would consistently surprise me with "hey, it's actually fun to use X in this game!"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya agreed. That's why I like the prophecy choices icon popping up during a run. Def lead to a lot of unexpected combos and interactions

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
The incentive of prophecy rewards, plus the prophecy icons being visible when you are selecting options, is a great and simple piece of design. I'm totally the type of player to get into a play style rut and just run one weapon or build into the ground. Being passively pushed to try out everything really helped with that for this game, especially since I was never forces to play a way I didn't like. You don't need to take the weapon that will give extra darkness, the game doesn't force you, but you are totally incentivized to.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Umm, wow. Hell Mode probably didn’t help but Extreme Measures 4 Hades is extremely rude in phase three when he starts chugging green estus and dims the screen. God that track slaps though

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

EM4: He heals in phase 2 too!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lemony posted:

The incentive of prophecy rewards, plus the prophecy icons being visible when you are selecting options, is a great and simple piece of design. I'm totally the type of player to get into a play style rut and just run one weapon or build into the ground. Being passively pushed to try out everything really helped with that for this game, especially since I was never forces to play a way I didn't like. You don't need to take the weapon that will give extra darkness, the game doesn't force you, but you are totally incentivized to.

Same thing with the weapons and the Darkness bonus. The only reason I skipped doing scattering shot for so long is that I thought it was going to be like Triple Shot or something, which I just straight up feel is a waste of a hammer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Does anyone happen to know of a save editor or a method of transferring gear unlocks but leaving story progression alone? I'm going to be doing a playthrough for a friend of mine so they can experience the story, and while I'm more than happy to do so for them, I can't loving stand not having my gear available.

Edit: Nevermind, found one.

Kith fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 23, 2021