Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's the German tax ones pays.

Just have to think it in the terms that yeah, it's (relatively) cheap to buy. But it was once worth six figures and the parts and service don't depreciate with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/d/pawcatuck-your-next-toxic-relationship/7288984140.html

quote:

Is it love? Is it hate? Who knows! But you can't help wanting it even though you know it won't get you where you wanna go in life.

We had our ups and downs, but in the end we're not meant to be. This is a classic "it's not you, it's me" situation here folks, 'cause I'm tired of putting in the work needed to make it work, and I gave up too long ago to keep going. She may still be helpful around the yard (or if you throw more money at her than I will), maybe she'll treat you better. I dunno, we broke up, and I just want her to move out already.

- $1,000 OBO SOLD AS-IS! -

The good/great:
- 2000 MODEL YEAR JEEP CHEROKEE XJ 4-DOOR SPORT WITH 4 WHEEL DRIVE
- 4.0L I6 Engine
- Automatic Trans
- No check engine light / error indicators
- Full-Time / Part-Time / 4-wheel High / 4-wheel Low 4WD System with manual lever
- 50/50 Front Bucket Seats, Bench Rear Seat that folds flat for cargo space
- 2 Chipped Keys
- Aftermarket CD/Radio with Aux input and two new speakers in cargo area
- Never had any oil leak problems
- it DRIVES
- Great for XJ enthusiasts with some cash to burn or already sitting on an I6/other parts to swap
- Includes over $200 worth of planned-repair parts for the front suspension, a rear bracket, brake lines, radiator fan guard, original fog lights, and the fender flare that I knocked off with other tires that were too big.

The bad:
- Lotta rust specks around the body in particular along the trim and around the gas door
- One high beam doesn't work, but running headlamps and all other lights function properly
- Cargo hatch latch is dislodged and won't open without being held in place with the key
- The driver-side hood latch needs regular lubing or it pops up sometimes (but the passenger side and center safety latch both are fine)

The ugly:
- Ignition cylinder pins are getting wonky, and I leave a hammer under the seat incase I need to tap the key to make it turn (you can have the hammer)
- After an accident the frame is bent behind the front bumper
- There's a pretty bad coolant leak but no drips, so it's possibly getting burnt in the engine

After an amazing four-year long relationship, it's just time for us both to move on - and asap. Again I'm selling this Jeep as-is. $1,000 or best offer

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bajaha posted:

Seconded. There's the easy way, the hard way, and the German way. Some jobs can be much more time consuming than you think or will require specialized tools, and if you're not doing your own labour prepare to be paying maintenance costs typical of vehicles that had an msrp around $100k. They're usually cheap now because the costs to keep them running are high and owners don't want to pony up. As Motronic mentioned, there's a bathtub curb in values and even on the 955 Cayenne's I've been seeing clean and maintained examples listed for decent sums.
That's the key. A commoner buying a Porsche still has the Porsche premium that comes along with the name, regardless if that 6-figure vehicle is now "worth" low 5-figures. Service rates rarely go down. Maybe some parts prices do as jobbers come on stream as the vehicle ages, but that's about it and might be small consolation.

Buying one and not have the ability to service yourself or at the very least gumption to learn will only lead to heartbreak, financial ruin, or a whole lot of tears... or combination of all 3.

Heaven forbid if you want/need the engine to be rebuilt properly by a 3rd party. Want someone who actually knows their poo poo rebuild the engine? Prepare to drop $20K. Or more. Double that for a factory reman unit.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There's a really big part of me that wants this. Luckily I do not have a camper or six grand.

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/438534587228059/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Shame, looks like a pretty good deal, cheaper than some crate engines even

slidebite posted:

That's the key. A commoner buying a Porsche still has the Porsche premium that comes along with the name, regardless if that 6-figure vehicle is now "worth" low 5-figures. Service rates rarely go down. Maybe some parts prices do as jobbers come on stream as the vehicle ages, but that's about it and might be small consolation.

Buying one and not have the ability to service yourself or at the very least gumption to learn will only lead to heartbreak, financial ruin, or a whole lot of tears... or combination of all 3.

Heaven forbid if you want/need the engine to be rebuilt properly by a 3rd party. Want someone who actually knows their poo poo rebuild the engine? Prepare to drop $20K. Or more. Double that for a factory reman unit.
Yeah, "cheap luxury car is still expensive to service" isn't really surprise, the Cayenne just seems to bottom-out much lower and sooner than other Porsches, even Boxster or Cayman.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Shame, looks like a pretty good deal, cheaper than some crate engines even

Yeah, "cheap luxury car is still expensive to service" isn't really surprise, the Cayenne just seems to bottom-out much lower and sooner than other Porsches, even Boxster or Cayman.

They did kind of sell a lot of them comparatively and since they're SUVs a lot of the purists think they're Haram, it's a supply and demand thing

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Cayenne is the only Porsche I see on a regular basis, and it's definitely the only model I see people driving during the winter. This is in Minnesota where we use a lot of road salt to deal with the snow :getin:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I had a dim view of the Cayenne when they first came out and the massive proliferation of them among rich, boring people hasn't really improved their image in my eyes, but I'll be damned if they aren't rock-solid Porsche products. My dad got a 955 Cayenne S after wanting a Porsche his whole life and I was really ready to be unimpressed by it but it just does everything competently and luxuriously and is still a very fun to drive car. Also the fastest I've ever driven a car, I've driven stuff at 80 that felt shakier than the Cayenne at 150.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The most astonishing thing about the 955 to me is that it still FEELS like a Porsche. It's super overweight, mine is on all terrains, yet it still handles largely the way you would expect if you're used to Porsches. It's some kind of magic.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cool, I'm learning stuff!

Just dimly remembering how much those thing cost new, I figured any car selling for that was a fractal series of expensive unsolvable problems.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's actually one of the things that I really like with the 996/986 era. It's right on the cusp of being "modern" enough (interior opinions not withstanding) but still wrenchable by someone without having a dealer computer or even a durametric.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Exactly what years/configuration of Cayenne are the most reliable? Use case would be basically what you think of for a Land Rover (hauling feed and farm poo poo, people, bang sticks, and the occasional off-track hound) on field roads and dirt tracks though the woods.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nice to see an old car come with its records.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/d/lagrange-1970-pontiac-gto-the-judge/7290674561.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Still getting higher than asking...send me your offer.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Exactly what years/configuration of Cayenne are the most reliable? Use case would be basically what you think of for a Land Rover (hauling feed and farm poo poo, people, bang sticks, and the occasional off-track hound) on field roads and dirt tracks though the woods.

I'm running a 2004 955 turbo. The turbos (almost) all have air suspension, which is just great for towing. So is the extra power.

955/957s ('04-'10) have a real transfer case and are largely stupid simple to work on with a few known issues (superior german plastic coolant passages that needs to be updated, SAI pumps that go bad, a front carrier bering that supposedly goes bad a lot but I've not had an issue with at this point).

These were the original ones, built for the Transsyberia rally to give them some street cred. Every generation past this has been softer and softer, the way the bulk of them are driven/used. I have no idea what I'll replace it with when the time comes. It will likely end up having to be two different things.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 14, 2021

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Porsche does seem to be able to screw up cooling system.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Motronic posted:

I'm running a 2004 955 turbo. The turbos (almost) all have air suspension, which is just great for towing. So is the extra power.

So the Turbo doesn't come with a service/reliability penalty vs the non-Turbo V8? Is the air suspension adjustable, or just an auto leveling thing?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

955/957s ('04-'10) have a real transfer case and are largely stupid simple to work on with a few known issues (superior german plastic coolant passages that needs to be updated, SAI pumps that go bad, a front carrier bering that supposedly goes bad a lot but I've not had an issue with at this point).

These were the original ones, built for the Transsyberia rally to give them some street cred. Every generation past this has been softer and softer, the way the bulk of them are driven/used. I have no idea what I'll replace it with when the time comes. It will likely end up having to be two different things.
a 2010 MY, duh :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

angryrobots posted:

So the Turbo doesn't come with a service/reliability penalty vs the non-Turbo V8? Is the air suspension adjustable, or just an auto leveling thing?

The turbo has a SHITLOAD of rads/coolers up front, making access a bit funky. It also has a couple of coolant T's that should be swapped out along with the coolant pipes you'd otherwise be swapping out on the NA/S model. I've not hears any significant reliability penalties but of course you've got two turbos and two diverter valves to go wrong.

Air suspension is height adjustable in the cabin and will autolevel to whatever height you've set it at as you drop a trailer on/load it so you're always level.

Other fun options include a factory rear locker that I've rarely seen and only then on turbos.

On all 955s you do need to throw in an isolator for your trailer lights. Like many vehicles of this era they have funky incandescent lightbulb out detection which just freaks out with a trailer with LEDs connected. Best to just isolate it from the start.

mobby_6kl posted:

a 2010 MY, duh :v:

Sigh, you're probably right.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Porsche does seem to be able to screw up cooling system.

To be fair, they're "new" at this......isn't everything supposed to be oil/air cooled? :)

(Seriously it seems like MOST of their cooling problems are explained with "superior german plastics" being used.)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 14, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Now I know it's a Judge and everything, but even I am skeptical it's a good price, what with the price of getting something from Lagrange [point.] Micro-meteors are hell on glass, and all the cosmic rays can create radioactive isotopes that really complicate paintwork

Slidebite I found something:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2002-infiniti-q45-v8-4-5l-360hp-one-price-for-two-cars/1555551243

Please read till the end.
I have two Infinity Q45's for sale.
One is black, 190000 km, active status, used all the time, in good condition, custom exhaust, rear-wheel drive, strong and fast.
The other is green, 136000 km, after collision with a deer, only front is damaged (radiator, lights, bumper, and hood).
BUYER TAKES BOTH CARS.
I won't sell them separately or for parts.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Now I know it's a Judge and everything, but even I am skeptical it's a good price, what with the price of getting something from Lagrange [point.] Micro-meteors are hell on glass, and all the cosmic rays can create radioactive isotopes that really complicate paintwork

I like how he says the body is straight when you can see rust on just about every panel.

How much do you suppose just the VIN would go for? I feel like you'd be better off building a car from the YearOne catalog and just bolting the VIN plate onto it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bajaha posted:

Seconded. There's the easy way, the hard way, and the German way. Some jobs can be much more time consuming than you think or will require specialized tools, and if you're not doing your own labour prepare to be paying maintenance costs typical of vehicles that had an msrp around $100k. They're usually cheap now because the costs to keep them running are high and owners don't want to pony up. As Motronic mentioned, there's a bathtub curb in values and even on the 955 Cayenne's I've been seeing clean and maintained examples listed for decent sums.

One thing to keep in mind on previously expensive and now affordable German luxury vehicles is you don't want to be the third or fourth owner. Second owners of these things are notorious for deferring all maintenance because they didn't realize how expensive parts and labor are. More common on X5 and similar sized stuff but it's an issue on these as well. We looked at a couple when we were looking for a wife car but nothing around here came back from PPI with less than 2k in deferred stuff plus whatever else they found.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Speaking of tempting cayennes:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/rxB2BkL6/2009-porsche-cayenne-gts

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

When someone asks if they should buy a S600, my response is usually be prepared to spend around 10K in the first year to get it right. There is a reason it is sitting on the lot. It's all a matter of perspective. When an owner of a Chevy Malibu gets dinged with a 2K repair they are incredulous. When an owner of a German luxo barge gets word of a 2K repair they are relieved.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
This pops up often. Same guy also has a legit gto that hes been trying to sell for YEARS because he wants way too much.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/buffalo-2009-pontiac-g5-gto-black-ebony/7291684949.html

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/best-of-class-ls-gto-outer-harbor-show/7291687490.html
I emailed him in Jan 2019 to make fun of how long he's been trying to sell it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Don't get the "GTo" thing and the nice MSPaint, but just to email someone out of the blue to make fun of them is kind of a dick move. Was he an rear end in a top hat to you or something?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I said "I think its a little high mate"

"Made fun of" was the wrong phrase. "Expressed confusion towards" fits better.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

NitroSpazzz posted:

One thing to keep in mind on previously expensive and now affordable German luxury vehicles is you don't want to be the third or fourth owner.

Come join me in my thread where I went all in on an 04 Cayenne S, shoveled my way through all the deferred maintenance and broken things, only to sell it as a non runner once the cylinder scoring problem they're known for pretty much killed it.

It was fun, but yeah, financially it was not smart. The calls for stripping it for parts when I first got it were correct, should have, would have, could have, didn't.

Nothing more expensive than a "cheap" Porsche.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nebakenezzer posted:

from Lagrange

All I hear is ZZ Top.

quote:

Slidebite I found something:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2002-infiniti-q45-v8-4-5l-360hp-one-price-for-two-cars/1555551243

Please read till the end.
I have two Infinity Q45's for sale.
One is black, 190000 km, active status, used all the time, in good condition, custom exhaust, rear-wheel drive, strong and fast.
The other is green, 136000 km, after collision with a deer, only front is damaged (radiator, lights, bumper, and hood).
BUYER TAKES BOTH CARS.
I won't sell them separately or for parts.

That doesn't seem like a bad price. I like the look of the Q.

PeterCat posted:

I like how he says the body is straight when you can see rust on just about every panel.

How much do you suppose just the VIN would go for? I feel like you'd be better off building a car from the YearOne catalog and just bolting the VIN plate onto it.

That is very, very illegal.
And "straight" means "not bent or wrecked", not "rust free". That said, the hood and decklid are bent. Rust doesn't look terrible (if it's actually a Georgia native, what you see is all there will be for the most part - those are common A-body rust areas, even in TX) and the car looks complete. Might be worth that if a real Judge, as it looks to be.

edit: ah, he does mention the hood and "one quarter panel", I'm guessing the one he neglected to take a picture of.

Cage posted:

This pops up often. Same guy also has a legit gto that hes been trying to sell for YEARS because he wants way too much.

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/buffalo-2009-pontiac-g5-gto-black-ebony/7291684949.html

My dude, it's a Cobalt, and an automatic at that. Love that he specifically shows that he's priced it $600 above estimate. You're "private party" there, guy.

quote:

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/d/best-of-class-ls-gto-outer-harbor-show/7291687490.html
I emailed him in Jan 2019 to make fun of how long he's been trying to sell it.

Weird emphasis on words always triggers me. "PROfessional" (x2). "CUT/OUTS"
WTF are you on?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bajaha posted:

Come join me in my thread where I went all in on an 04 Cayenne S, shoveled my way through all the deferred maintenance and broken things, only to sell it as a non runner once the cylinder scoring problem they're known for pretty much killed it.

It was fun, but yeah, financially it was not smart. The calls for stripping it for parts when I first got it were correct, should have, would have, could have, didn't.

You are dashing my hopes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaha posted:

Oh I remember your thread, do you still have the boxster? How has it been in term of repair and maintenance? I've been considering a 987.2 cayman on and off, seems like you can get them for 25-30 eurobucks with reasonable mileage which is hopefully enough not to be a "cheap" disaster. Now with the lockdowns it's not even clear there'd be a decent season this year though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darchangel posted:

All I hear is ZZ Top.

LaGrange, GA is better than the one in Texas though arguably not by much.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

mobby_6kl posted:

boxster? How has it been in term of repair and maintenance?

It's been not bad. Tires and oil changes only so far after the initial sorting it out, both have been reasonable, albeit higher than your typical sedan or SUV parts prices. Also you need a scan tool capable of clearing the reminder, I went with a durametric for the rest of the fun stuff it lets you do. Budget around $1500 CAD a set of tires every two years and $80 - $100 CAD annual oil change.

Mine's got a little bit of a noise coming from the rear shocks over harsh bumps so I'll likely do struts all round either this season or next, and I've been topping up the PS fluid (which is priced like fine liquor) and now in storage it looks like made a little puddle from the front so will have to take a good look before getting it back out, thinking maybe the rack needs some seals thrown at it but I'll see once I get under it.

Oh, and I have terrible luck with Porsche water pumps, I would recommend just changing it preemptively at your leisure if you're looking at anything 60k miles plus. Much cheaper to DIY than getting a specialty shop or dealer to do it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

TotalLossBrain posted:

..They'll try to reset your CL account, CL sends you a verification #, and that's what they want to ? list fraudulent poo poo on your account or something? This seems like a long shot...

I think you've got it right. An account that's existed for a while and has a history adds plausibility either for their own scams or for someone who's paying them to get accounts.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bajaha posted:

gently caress. Was going to post "THERE IS NOTHING MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A CHEAP GERMAN CAR".

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Darchangel posted:

And "straight" means "not bent or wrecked", not "rust free". That said, the hood and decklid are bent. Rust doesn't look terrible (if it's actually a Georgia native, what you see is all there will be for the most part - those are common A-body rust areas, even in TX) and the car looks complete. Might be worth that if a real Judge, as it looks to be.

edit: ah, he does mention the hood and "one quarter panel", I'm guessing the one he neglected to take a picture of.

Which part of the car is considered the car? There is so little of my old Cutlass that's original that it's hardly the car that left the plant in 73.

I suppose if you just replace one piece at a time it keeps it legal?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Midjack posted:

LaGrange, GA is better than the one in Texas though arguably not by much.

L6 and L7

Tell me those places are okay for satellites at least

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PeterCat posted:

Which part of the car is considered the car? There is so little of my old Cutlass that's original that it's hardly the car that left the plant in 73.

I suppose if you just replace one piece at a time it keeps it legal?

Ahhh, we're going to get into the car of theseus conversation.

To answer your direct question: shmaybe?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Darchangel posted:

I bet it’s rusted out at the base of the windshield and around the back window from sitting out in the rain and that’s why it looks so swampy inside. In which case the floors will be no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bajaha posted:

Your thread was an eye opener for sure, I think my 928 experience would have ended similarly if I tried to fix everything that was wrong with it. Despite knowing better I keep considering a Cayman or Cayman S but have flashbacks of your thread, the 928 and various other disaster stories.