Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DJExile posted:

He's been available for a few openings now and I'm honestly surprised his name hasn't seemed to come up at any of them. For all I know his contract from Vegas could still be getting paid out and he's happy to just roll on that for the time being.

Yeah I mean if Gallant or another decent coach wasn’t available I dunno just like promote the AHL coach or an assistant or whatever and hope you strike gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

If Seattle doesn't hire Gallant if he's available, knowing what he did with Vegas, I'd say that's a bad decision on their part.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If Gallant goes to Seattle, where expectations of him would be so high he almost can't do anything but fail, it's a bad decision on his part. Unless he's getting All The Money.

It is pretty weird that I haven't even really heard his name associated with any openings. Makes me think he either already has a tacit agreement with Seattle and isn't returning anyone else's calls, or he's not interested unless he gets significant say in personnel decisions.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's also still getting paid a lot of money to not coach hockey during a pandemic.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cartoon Man posted:

Who the gently caress knows what’s gonna happen in the East, though I think it’s safe to stick a fork in New Jersey and Buffalo. Caps and Isles should be in the postseason and I think Boston is better than their points total shows. I want to count out the Rangers but they’ve been making a push lately while the Flyers are going the other way. I though the Penguins sucked and yet they’re in third?! :psyduck:

The Pens were kinda blah early on but now they're good again because they get to play Buffalo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

99% of hockey decisions this year can be boiled down to money and Gallant is the most expensive option out there.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Capfriendly says Gallant's contract ran through this season so yeah I'd imagine you see his name tossed around a lot more pretty soon.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Unlike a player he's not wasting his prime years or doing himself a disservice sitting out waiting for teams to have spending money again. There's no need for him to accept any sort of lowball offer right now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fawning deference posted:

The next tier of "teams who absolutely should be sellers but might delude themselves into thinking they can make the playoffs" are Nashville, Vancouver, Calgary, Arizona, Columbus, and Dallas. Chicago is kinda between this segment and the next.

Columbus is four points out and on a three-game point streak, but I think their only hope at this point is for a team ahead of them to blow a tire, the most likely candidate for which would be Chicago turning into the team people thought they'd be this season.

Bjorkstrand and Atkinson have been solid. Jones and Werenski have been fine and are both on about a half PPG pace, which is on par for much of their careers. The rest of the team has been "Meh". The Domi/Anderson trade was looking horrible for a while, but Domi appears to have started to turn the corner. Laine has experienced a partially-Tortorella-induced cool down, but Roslovic is still kicking rear end. Gus Nyquist would be nice to have right about now.

The goaltending is a huge issue and is perhaps the biggest thing crippling them right now. Korpi's numbers were solid until that Dallas game where he gave up 5 midway through the second, at which point he began a) winning games while giving up 4-5 goals and posting a .780-.800 or b) losing games while giving up 1-3 and posting a .930-.960. He's improved recently (case in point, that highway robbery save on Benn last night which eventually led them to getting a point out of the game). Elvis has had a couple duds, but has been the better of the two in spite of having the hot brains for a bit.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They’ve played Buffalo six times and won them all, so their points have been artificially inflated. Once Boston and Pittsburgh have played Buffalo more they’ll overtake the Islanders

Philly falling off a cliff has made things much safer for the Top 4 in the East.

But given that you're playing in-division for the first two rounds of the playoffs, seeding doesn't feel like it matters. Caps haven't beaten Boston in regulation yet this season and are 2-4 against the Pens with 3 games decided in OT. And I still don't really want to see Trotz in the playoffs either.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Laviolette got fired about a month before Gallant, which is why Nashville hired Hynes, in addition to whatever brain parasites Poile's afflicted with at the moment.

Nashville was declining even during Laviolette's tenure, so I wasn't totally surprised to see him go, but John Hynes has absolutely accelerated things from a gradual downward slump to a jump off the biggest cliff they could find.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not saying Hynes is a good coach, but I'm not sure how many teams would survive that sort of out and out lovely goalering

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm not saying Hynes is a good coach, but I'm not sure how many teams would survive that sort of out and out lovely goalering
They also have a terrible group of forwards. It's just not a good team on paper

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Shinjobi posted:

I think there's a 40% or better chance we trade Klingberg for prospects or something.

You don't want to do it, but if the team can't turn out of the toilet you gotta think they can't afford to pay him.

yeah... it's one of those things where you have to balance different values against each other. On one hand you'll never win a cup by paying everyone on the roster what they are worth, you need to find ways to put together a roster that is "worth" 100+ million on a sub 80 million dollar budget. Getting stuck with another contract like we have with Benn or Seguin where they are being paid for past achievements and their standing on the team at the time the contract was signed is not going to feel great...

On the other hand going full Tampa Bay Rays and selling off every single asset for maximum return before they reach free agency probably isn't workable in the NHL for a variety of reasons. You don't want to end up in a situation where you have no continuity or leadership in the locker room. Like at some point you have to identify who your leadership core is and commit to having them around for the next 5 seasons. Even if you don't make all the right decisions, at least you don't end up in this situation where you have the constant roster turnover, the team has no identity, and the fans don't have any players to get attached to.

Klingberg still seems to be this player that is vastly under-rated around the league, like I don't think that he's really looked at as being even a top pairing defenseman by alot of people? He seems to be incredibly popular in the room and he is probably one of the toughest guys on the team and one of the consistently hardest working, so I hope they do find a way to re-sign him at a reasonable salary for another 3 or 4 years.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Rinne's also definitely on the downturn, and I'd be absolutely blown away if he doesn't retire at the end of this season, but he's been better as of late.

Problem is that Nashville is used to being able to just sort of idle their way around the ice for a couple periods and then score some wild shots, counting on Rinne to save them from their own stupidity, except he's their only real goalie right now and he's busted, their D corps is a cruel parody of what it used to be, and most of the top scorers are injured. The dopes left aren't playing up to their normal standards, the rookies they've brought in to patch the holes aren't getting good direction, and morale on the team is clearly in the shitter.

It's actually kind of absurd how bad this team is right now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Power rankings are out:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/ColinSNewsday/status/1371572254178430980

I'm hootin and hollerin over here.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

Power rankings are out:

Condolences to the Buffalo Sabres for losing to a team that hasn't even started playing.

Bettman is more hopeful than I am, but I won't have a ticket to that game anyway, and I'm not made of Bezos money so I won't be getting one either. I think we're a few thousand back on the season ticket list right now too. So I expect an option to get upper deck tickets in about 5-7 years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

xzzy posted:

Power rankings are out:

:perfect:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Unfortunately this is because Fox and Buchnevich are on the COVID list which is not so great and does not bode well for our chances vs the flyers tonight.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jovial Cow posted:

Unfortunately this is because Fox and Buchnevich are on the COVID list which is not so great and does not bode well for our chances vs the flyers tonight.

I want to die.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Guess I need to take a poo poo on the Preds more often.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Cartoon Man posted:

Who the gently caress knows what’s gonna happen in the East, though I think it’s safe to stick a fork in New Jersey and Buffalo. Caps and Isles should be in the postseason and I think Boston is better than their points total shows. I want to count out the Rangers but they’ve been making a push lately while the Flyers are going the other way. I though the Penguins sucked and yet they’re in third?! :psyduck:

Rangers are just inconsistent...they won three in a row and then lost some bad games in a row...bounced back with a dominating win over Boston
Never quite know what they're gonna do but also they're running with Keith Kincaid as the starter since Shesterkin injured his groin and Georgiev has had some bad games.

I think it's too late for them to make the playoffs unless they make an astounding run but I'm not super sure what assets they have to sell at the deadline either, they'll probably more or less stand pat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jovial Cow posted:

oh poo poo I did not see this news until now :smith:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Kinda surprised the game tonight isn't postponed given all the positive tests, but then I remembered there's fans in the building now. With fans in the building, aint no way they're gonna postpone a game unless they absolutely have no other choice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Boston is 2 for 6 in March with 11 goals for and 8 against.

Good times.

Edit: 2 for 6. 2-2-2.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 16, 2021

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Aphrodite posted:

Boston is 2-6 in March with 11 goals for and 8 against.

Good times.

:agreed:

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

The Pens were kinda blah early on but now they're good again because they get to play Buffalo

There were also those back to backs with the isles that the pens won back when they weren't very good that kept them in the mix until their buffalo heavy schedule came up

The isles carried play in most games against the pens this year but are 2-4 against them because varlamov has inexplicably decided to be horrible against them and it has been pretty frustrating to watch

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Iodised QQ posted:

There were also those back to backs with the isles that the pens won back when they weren't very good that kept them in the mix until their buffalo heavy schedule came up

The isles carried play in most games against the pens this year but are 2-4 against them because varlamov has inexplicably decided to be horrible against them and it has been pretty frustrating to watch

I don't feel like the Rangers have always been so bad against the Pens either. Pens definitely pulled a few of those games out of their rear end.

The Pens have been recently aided by getting healthier as well. Dumoulin is a big addition to the lineup when he's playing well. And their goaltending seems to have come along a bit. It was putrid earlier in the year.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1371604751486361606

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Dumoulin is a big addition to the lineup when he's playing well. And their goaltending seems to have come along a bit.

I suspect these two facts are very closely related.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Is there anything Eugene Melnyk wont ruin?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Who else is ready for more Fraudulent Montreal Canadiens hockey?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Sabres just had a wide open 3 on 1, take a wild guess if they scored.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

Mirtle just put out an article titled 'What's wrong with the Maple Leafs' which is easily answered by this tweet I will now point to:

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1371297625685643268?s=20

someone tell me if a .949 PDO is good please, my team is dying

I would be less concerned if this wasn't exactly how they lost to Columbus last play-in

Also Joey Daccord allowed four goals last night so gently caress your stupid feel-good story.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Cartoon Man posted:

The Sabres just had a wide open 3 on 1, take a wild guess if they scored.

it was more impressive they didnt score when they had to puck 7/8 of the way into the net

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What happened with Backes? I got to see him play in college and he was something special. He kind of fell off my radar once he went to Boston. I remember reading some stuff that he or it could have been the front office/coaching staff just didn't like him and buried him and he also kind of fell off a cliff productivity wise but obviously those things went hand in hand.

Any chance he gets one last shot somewhere?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Philadelphia Flyers are dogshit garbage.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

soggybagel posted:

What happened with Backes? I got to see him play in college and he was something special. He kind of fell off my radar once he went to Boston. I remember reading some stuff that he or it could have been the front office/coaching staff just didn't like him and buried him and he also kind of fell off a cliff productivity wise but obviously those things went hand in hand.

He's 37 and plays a power forward game, his decline is pretty predictable. He also had a bunch of injuries including a weird one that required bowel surgery of some sort. I don't think anyone's really blown away his career came to a crashing halt. The Bruins tried to recast him as an enforcer once which was kinda rough of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

soggybagel posted:

He's very old and has been falling apart for a while.