Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Watching this is eerie as gently caress. Both these scenes played out roughly the same in Josstice, but these are clearly different takes with different dialog and very different cinematography.

I don't think it can be overemphasized how uncanny it is that ZS's film is finally coming out.

Or maybe I should say: it can't be overemphasized how uncanny it is that WB decided to completely reshoot an already finished film — only to make it less dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Disney did it with Solo. And we’ll never see that footage.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What I meant by the "ideology of the superhero" is less about vigilantism, though they both get off on beating up people, and more about the power of the will kind of thing where Ozymandias is allowed to be a mass murderer because he's the ubermensch.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Do weird twitter people think $70 million is a lot for visual effects on a 4 hour superhero movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. They really do.

People on twitter have no idea what it takes to even make a 70 dollar movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Disney did it with Solo. And we’ll never see that footage.

God, that'd another one I'd love to see.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AccountSupervisor posted:

Maaaaan that little detail of her putting her lasso away, busting out her shield and then flipping her sword in her hands :cool:
When she whipped out her shield and went into a crouch with just her eyes peeking out over the top, I got some serious 300 vibes from that. I also like Cyborg's slightly modulated voice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Schwarzwald posted:

God, that'd another one I'd love to see.

I hate solo so much because they fired two of my favorite filmmakers for some bland rear end poo poo.

Maybe OG solo sucked rear end and wasnt funny. But I’d rather see it over what we got.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Martman posted:

Do weird twitter people think $70 million is a lot for visual effects on a 4 hour superhero movie?

The ratio of people who talk about movies with authority v people who actually work in movies is comically skewed.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Watching this is eerie as gently caress. Both these scenes played out roughly the same in Josstice, but these are clearly different takes with different dialog and very different cinematography.

I don't think it can be overemphasized how uncanny it is that ZS's film is finally coming out.

Or maybe I should say: it can't be overemphasized how uncanny it is that WB decided to completely reshoot an already finished film — only to make it less dynamic.

Holy poo poo lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LoBx812Ujs

Its like they actively sapped the scene of all life, pacing and intensity.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

CelticPredator posted:

Yes. They really do.

People on twitter have no idea what it takes to even make a 70 dollar movie.

The budget for the first Superman movie in the 1970s was $55 million, to help put things in perspective.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should get Zack Snyder to fix the Avengers next.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mantis42 posted:

What I meant by the "ideology of the superhero" is less about vigilantism, though they both get off on beating up people, and more about the power of the will kind of thing where Ozymandias is allowed to be a mass murderer because he's the ubermensch.

I think that goes into the idea of vigilantism, that being an ubermensch justifies it and means you deserve the authority to use violence to solve problems.

Its interesting to compare Ozymandias and Homelander in that regard though, he's definitely the "I can do whatever I want" type. Not even about any pretense of justice at that point.

Martman posted:

Most people hear "one million dollars" and go "gosh that's so much money, because I've never had that much money" without actually considering all the costs involved in hiring and paying the amount of people it takes. If you haven't run a business or at least been a manager, you tend to think in terms of personal finance and not business operating budget.

Its some weird quirk of psychology than you can know that a movie cost "$300 million" or something but it doesn't really register, its just monopoly money at that point.

Video games are worse; A lot of people legit think that indie games can be made on a budget of like 100k no problemo. Without considering the number of employees or how badly you'd be paying them were that the case.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 16, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

I hate solo so much because they fired two of my favorite filmmakers for some bland rear end poo poo.

Maybe OG solo sucked rear end and wasnt funny. But I’d rather see it over what we got.

Absolutely! Lets be real tho: if Disney hated it, how terrible could it have really been?

Hopefully, if ZSJL is anything near a success the big studios will reconsider the MCU style of homogenized content extrusion. (This will not happen.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CelticPredator posted:

That's my take on the potential Ayer cut of Suicide Squad.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zaphod42 posted:

That's my take on the potential Ayer cut of Suicide Squad.

You can, at the very least, get a feel for the original tone Ayer's cut would've had from its first look comic-con trailer before it got butchered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

McCloud posted:

Challenging in the sense that the audiences preconceptions are challenged. Man of Steel famously features massive collateral damage due to the metropolis fight, and people reacted harshly to this because they are used to sanitized violence where no one but the bad guys get hurt.

The audience is fine with this

https://twitter.com/CBMshots/status/1351140908272594953?s=20

because "no one got hurt", but they freak the gently caress out over this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTxZl_ffcv0

because oh my gosh knocking villains through buildings has consequences who could have known!!

It's jarring and unsettling. That's an example of what i mean

Edit: That youtube link is proclick btw, it edits the metropolis segment from MoS and BvS together and it looks smooth af

Trying to watch the dc movies we missed, so we're watching Aquaman today but had to take a break. It's the antithesis of Snyder's films, where there's no real consequence out side of plot reasons. It's pretty much exposition and explosions the movie, he's just using powers with no thought, committing suicide if that traumatized pilot is to be believed. Aquadkid openly uses his powers and changes his eyes and nothing comes of it. It felt like king dolph admitted no one could believe the plot but they knew it was needed in order to have a movie. We're gonna try and finish it tomorrow and then start shazam, Shazam can't be worse right?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Imagine the audacity of just waltzing in here, telling some folks who've been following this poo poo from day one that there was no Snyder cut. :getout:

bushisms.txt posted:

Trying to watch the dc movies we missed, so we're watching Aquaman today but had to take a break. It's the antithesis of Snyder's films, where there's no real consequence out side of plot reasons. It's pretty much exposition and explosions the movie, he's just using powers with no thought, committing suicide if that traumatized pilot is to be believed. Aquadkid openly uses his powers and changes his eyes and nothing comes of it. It felt like king dolph admitted no one could believe the plot but they knew it was needed in order to have a movie. We're gonna try and finish it tomorrow and then start shazam, Shazam can't be worse right?

People who most hated BvS loved Shazam. That's all I will say about that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zaphod42 posted:

Video games are worse; A lot of people legit think that indie games can be made on a budget of like 100k no problemo. Without considering the number of employees or how badly you'd be paying them were that the case.

I mean, you could, but that wildly depends on what kind of game you're making, which may be on the level of 'up to maybe four people staying at home to work plus some software licenses'.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I, a registered Snyder liker, enjoyed Shazam a lot, but afterward somebody pointed something out about it to me that makes me wonder if it will bother or distract me on a re-watch: namely, Billy and his alter ego don't really act like they're the same person.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think there are a couple of issues with this post:

1) The GIF you're tweeting is completely out of context. In the complete scene, Superman's whole bravado, x1,000 thing entirely backfires on him. It's coming at the end of a series that has constantly portrayed the potential horror of Superman not holding back. Superman's ultimately not doing the right thing there. You're right that there is a bloodlessness to the violence, but you're comparing a scene where Superman is wrong for recklessly punching a monster through buildings and Man of Steel in which Superman's action aren't intended to be viewed as incorrect. It's part of a flaw in Superman's character rooted in the trauma from this scene when Darkseid murders one of Superman's friends, leaving Superman to impotently punch the ground.

2) Do you imagine that everyone who does not like Man of Steel hasn't seen like Se7en or Saving Private Ryan or Game of Thrones or Chinatown or Robocop or John Wick? Like you're right that it's challenging in that it challenges your expectations for Superman, but I think it's disingenuous to present people as not being able to get their mind around violence or flawed heroes.

Like other said, it's portrayed as a huge heroic moment for Superman, not one of horror or defeat, but the larger point I was making wasn't that their actions aren't justified, but that Snyderman and Timman acted in a very similar way, but one was viewed as shocking and "not true to the character" while the other was viewed as cool and badass. The animated version is way more sanitized than the former, that evokes feelings of 9/11, you absolutely feel people actually died in the MoS scene, unlike the animated one, and that's jarring.

Regarding your second point, that's kind of a weird take on my comment. Like, i don't think the idea of violent or flawed heroes is mindblowing to people, no. What I attempted to convey was that portraying Superman like that was jarring for people, because there are different expectations of the superhero genre, and especially the ultimate Paragon and Father of Superheroes, and quite possibly the most noble fictional character in the world aside from maybe Jesus, than a former assassin and action films in general.
I don't think im exaggerating when I say that people were angry about the collateral damage in MoS.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think aquaman is great and better than Shazam

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bongo Bill posted:

I, a registered Snyder liker, enjoyed Shazam a lot, but afterward somebody pointed something out about it to me that makes me wonder if it will bother or distract me on a re-watch: namely, Billy and his alter ego don't really act like they're the same person.

I did get that vibe, though I kinda chalk it down to that Billy as Captain Whatevertheygetaroundtonaminghim aren't exactly the same person; one's a teenager, one's an adult, with implicit supernatural influence on his mind and intelligence, and the confidence of a powerful adult body and appearance. Though then again, almost feels like the Captain is more childish than the serious minded, withdrawn Billy. But then, that could be Billy feeling the confidence to do the kid things he wants to. In short, a land of contrasts.

McCloud posted:

Like other said, it's portrayed as a huge heroic moment for Superman, not one of horror or defeat, but the larger point I was making wasn't that their actions aren't justified, but that Snyderman and Timman acted in a very similar way, but one was viewed as shocking and "not true to the character" while the other was viewed as cool and badass. The animated version is way more sanitized than the former, that evokes feelings of 9/11, you absolutely feel people actually died in the MoS scene, unlike the animated one, and that's jarring.

Well, the Timm one is literally a children's cartoon that can't explicitly show death, though Timm and Dini were really good at inference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

Aquaman has strengths and weaknesses. I think some of the concepts and scenes and costumes look amazing, but it does feel a bit samey at some points. My cousin loved it, but I was only so-so on it.

Shazam is very extremely okay; but it accomplishes what it set out to do, and what the last minute recuts of things like Suicide Squad didn't; its actually fun and lighthearted. Its a good kids movie, that adults can watch and not hate. The villain is bad and the plot is pretty thin but it has some heart so its not totally awful.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, you could, but that wildly depends on what kind of game you're making, which may be on the level of 'up to maybe four people staying at home to work plus some software licenses'.

Yeah I mean, "game" covers a lot, you can definitely make some things on a smaller budget than that, and game jam games can be fun. But people will think that about games which took years to make, which is just unreasonable.

Bongo Bill posted:

I agree, I think that's the weakest part of the film. Its tough to get good child actors but Zachary Levi is just doing his usual thing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

This is my exact stance on Shazam. I've re-watched it a few times and while Levi not really acting like his kid counterpart when in superhero mode is something that's super noticeable now, I still find the film charming and enjoyable. I like both it and Aquaman about the same tbh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

roffels posted:

The budget for the first Superman movie in the 1970s was $55 million, to help put things in perspective.

To put it into a better perspective 55 million today, according to the inflation calculator is $221,867,638.04.

So.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I think my main issue with aquaman is it doesn't commit to being a wacky comic film. It's got all this poppy dumb modern dialogue that bogs things down when the only other things they're saying are plot points and motivations. Like in the beginning mantadad hits Aquaman with a grenade and while he's down on the ground literally smoking, no one quips anything about a fish fry. Either go all in or don't.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mr. Apollo posted:

Here are two promo clips. No spoilers or anything. One is a brief clip of Diana vs Steppenwolf in the tunnel and the other is the League discussing using the Motherbox to bring back Superman in the Wayne Hanger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-duMaYnxVE

love how his armor ripples after he's hit

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Holy poo poo lol

If you pay attention batman fighting is part of a different scene.The hostages are gone , and the multiple parademons get reduced to one.Even the bricks change shape.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

I think my main issue with aquaman is it doesn't commit to being a wacky comic film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62djdsGW8A

:thunk:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

Imagine the audacity of just waltzing in here, telling some folks who've been following this poo poo from day one that there was no Snyder cut. :getout:

People who most hated BvS loved Shazam. That's all I will say about that.

I loved BvS and Shazam.

I actually got really frustrated with Shazam because I absolutely loved that it acknowledged Snyders larger world while simultaneously being its own thing with its own tone. I believed this was the same world, although very different movies.

Its exactly why I think its possible to have both Snyder-esque operas and more lighthearted, small stakes films in one universe. Shazam shares a much more toned down version of the overall aesthetic and vibe of the Snyderverse and is obviously much different movie in tone, but its not a complete stylistic or tonal departure like WW84.Theres still a bit of grit in Shazam. A bit of Snyders influence.

It makes it all the more interesting and all the more unique in its potential for crossovers/teamups. Id be absolutely delighted to see Zachary Levis Shazam being contrasted next to Aflecks brooding and gritty Bruce/Batman. Thered be a lot of organic, unforced character dynamics that could be born from the potential of making vastly different superhero movies that share a universe and light connecting threads.

The Marvel formula of rigid stylistic mandates and straight line phased and episodic arcs is not the only formula for success in the superhero realm and I really wish WB/DC could see that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Holy poo poo lol

I like how at 2:30 batman's mouth doesn't even move as he ADR's "Jesus, he is tall!"

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Maaaaan that little detail of her putting her lasso away, busting out her shield and then flipping her sword in her hands :cool:

That scene alone is cooler than anything in WW84.

Also, she just lets go of the lasso in the Josstice clip. Maybe she has spares.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I did get that vibe, though I kinda chalk it down to that Billy as Captain Whatevertheygetaroundtonaminghim aren't exactly the same person; one's a teenager, one's an adult, with implicit supernatural influence on his mind and intelligence, and the confidence of a powerful adult body and appearance. Though then again, almost feels like the Captain is more childish than the serious minded, withdrawn Billy. But then, that could be Billy feeling the confidence to do the kid things he wants to. In short, a land of contrasts.

Well, the Timm one is literally a children's cartoon that can't explicitly show death, though Timm and Dini were really good at inference.

Oh sure, that is not in any way a slight against the Dini-verse or the DCAU. I'm a big fan myself, I'm just strictly talking about audience reactions here. Not implying they should have shown darkseids body mowing through people in the building :v:

I loved BvS and Shazam.

I actually got really frustrated with Shazam because I absolutely loved that it acknowledged Snyders larger world while simultaneously being its own thing with its own tone. I believed this was the same world, although very different movies.

Its exactly why I think its possible to have both Snyder-esque operas and more lighthearted, small stakes films in one universe. Shazam shares a much more toned down version of the overall aesthetic and vibe of the Snyderverse and is obviously much different movie in tone, but its not a complete stylistic or tonal departure like WW84.Theres still a bit of grit in Shazam. A bit of Snyders influence.

It makes it all the more interesting and all the more unique in its potential for crossovers/teamups. Id be absolutely delighted to see Zachary Levis Shazam being contrasted next to Aflecks brooding and gritty Bruce/Batman. Thered be a lot of organic, unforced character dynamics that could be born from the potential of making vastly different superhero movies that share a universe and light connecting threads.

The Marvel formula of rigid stylistic mandates and straight line phased and episodic arcs is not the only formula for success in the superhero realm and I really wish WB/DC could see that.

Well I guess i'll be a liar and amend my previous statement a bit. I disliked Shazam, it's quite possibly my least liked DCEU film after Josstice League and WW84, but I still think it's a good movie. It's just..not a film for me. I think it's great that it's out there with a silly and more campy tone, and I like that the films in the DCEU are actually different from each other instead of just being snyder clones.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Vanity Fair review of this is awesome:

quote:

"Watching Snyder’s intermittently rewarding epic—if nothing else a spectacle of completed vision—stirred up surprising emotions. Not about what happens to the people (and aliens) in the film, but about what happened to its maker, and to the course of human events while Justice League 2.0 wrestled its way into being. There is a bittersweet suggestion made by this turgid, solemnly weighted film. Toward the end of my screening odyssey—one sixth of a whole day on Earth!—I found myself thinking about all the ways of the old world that I have mourned over the last year, about all the petty hopes and plans I had for my life that were washed away by pandemic and quarantine.

Of course, I am still alive, puttering away with relatively little to complain about. And, of course, this is just a superhero movie, remounted mostly out of corporate hunger. But, nevertheless, there is Snyder’s pained, finally realized opus, perhaps indicating with its bizarre existence that not everything is gone for good, even if it comes back haunted, or a little dinged up by the tumble of time. Maybe, just maybe, we too can revive some of our mad pursuits, recut the shape of our lives into what we were once so determined they would be. All we’d need is millions of dollars of our own, and an army of devotees eager to take up the cause of our thwarted dreams.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/03/zack-snyder-justice-league-review

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The old narrative is collapsing, turning to dust in the wind, as it turns out to have been built on sand and out of cardboard and spit.

Does anyone really remember Endgame?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The old narrative is collapsing, turning to dust in the wind, as it turns out to have been built on sand and out of cardboard and spit.

The Snyder Renaissance is upon us... a new day is dawning... lol if Army of the Dead is a hit with critics.

quote:

I remember how poorly it holds up in a home setting, but I also remember how great its theater experience was on opening night. It's literally MCU Fanservice The Movie™ — great for diehards, most def, but for me the luster of how Endgame felt like a live concert of a band playing all their greatest hits completely vanished the moment I walked out the theater. As such, the film suffers greatly as a result of losing that communal celebration feeling imo.

[edit] Endgame also has some really poor messaging underneath: let's glorify the death of a tech-bro billionaire who privatized arc reactor technology that would literally make the world a better place because he managed to get his hands on the ultimate weapon of mass destruction and blew himself up with it in order to kill big purple evil alien man.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 16, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m fine with endgame being the last big blockbuster crowd pleaser ever if that’s the case. I ain’t seen anything like that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah everyone was making election memes out of it
https://twitter.com/emmavigeland/status/1265426371515383809
https://twitter.com/rhymeswithbeg/status/1324818484556107787

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I saw end game opening weekend and people went ape poo poo but I thought the movie was bafflingly awful. Such a huge downgrade from the previous film and it became this weird thing. It just felt so loving weird and I hadn’t felt that disconnect with the audience since Godzilla 2014