Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

indigi posted:

first result for “Bill burr transphobic” https://twitter.com/MalBlum/status/1315334223532761088

I don't really recall the jokes OTOH and they certainly don't work sans context, but I digress. I can no more change people being angry about jokes than they can change the existential threat that is comedy as a concept. :(

Just on a hunch, I figured I'd load up whatever the MMPC chunk was about transgender wrestlers and... Uh. The person writing in to Bill is the transphobe. And Bill's pretty clearly making a joke when he twists around the gender panic. If you can tell me what he said that's not just a joke about how overreacting people are when they try to stoke transphobic sentiments by doing ridiculous fantasization about 'guys' beating up 'women'. Which, of course, leaves out who trans men are and where these people seem to think they ought to be competing and all. They neeeeeeeeeever seem to notice that they're simultaneously arguing that AFAB transmen should be kept in (cis-)women's leagues as well. If testosterone is going to make you a better athlete, either from growing up with some in your system as a pre-pubescent male or from hormonal therapy as a transman, why the gently caress aren't transmen just owning right now? They're nigh-universally lumped in with ciswomen in their categories; where's the extreme dominance they're supposedly, by the logic of the transphobe, capable of exterting?

Apoplexy has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Finally getting around to building the last redoubt I see

brb going to go wander in the darkness eating astronaut food for 9999 pages

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Apoplexy posted:

I don't really recall the jokes OTOH and they certainly don't work sans context, but I digress. I can no more change people being angry about jokes than they can change the existential threat that is comedy as a concept. :(

Just on a hunch, I figured I'd load up whatever the MMPC chunk was about transgender wrestlers and... Uh. The person writing in to Bill is the transphobe. And Bill's pretty clearly making a joke when he twists around the gender panic. If you can tell me what he said that's not just a joke about how overreacting people are when they try to stoke transphobic sentiments by doing ridiculous fantasization about 'guys' beating up 'women'. Which, of course, leaves out who trans men are and where these people seem to think they ought to be competing and all. They neeeeeeeeeever seem to notice that they're simultaneously arguing that AFAB transmen should be kept in (cis-)women's leagues as well. If testosterone is going to make you a better athlete, either from growing up with some in your system as a pre-pubescent male or from hormonal therapy as a transman, why the gently caress aren't transmen just owning right now? They're nigh-universally lumped in with ciswomen in their categories; where's the extreme dominance they're supposedly, by the logic of the transphobe, capable of exterting?

lotta words to defend a transphobe

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm cancelling Bill Burr and history as a concept. It's herstory now.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
gently caress it. Just call ME transphobic and then don't dig any deeper, specifically not in the PHIZ Cum Town thread where I've posted some actual, though framed comically, experiences from my life of late. I'm definitely a transphobe and not just someone who gets irked at a constant stream of people getting mad at the wrong targets in society. The jester is the problem here.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Apoplexy posted:

gently caress it. Just call ME transphobic and then don't dig any deeper, specifically not in the PHIZ Cum Town thread where I've posted some actual, though framed comically, experiences from my life of late. I'm definitely a transphobe and not just someone who gets irked at a constant stream of people getting mad at the wrong targets in society. The jester is the problem here.

yeah actually its loving hilarious to make fun of transpeople for wanting their pronouns to be respected.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Paladinus posted:

I'm cancelling Bill Burr and history as a concept. It's herstory now.

This is huge

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
i would think youd have something to stand on if he actually told funny jokes but the punchline is literally "transwomen are men!!! haha isnt that hosed up??"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Still not as bad as cumtown

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

those who cannot remember history are doomed to repeat it without an ironic sense of futility

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Apoplexy posted:

gently caress cum town gently caress red scare and gently caress that whole motherfucking crew

and if you gently caress with cum town then gently caress you too

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

ArmZ posted:

those who cannot remember history are doomed to repeat it without an ironic sense of futility
i told you about chairs, bro!
i told you dawg!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Uranium posted:

i told you about chairs, bro!
i told you dawg!

*falls down the chairs

it keeps happening

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The end of Bill Burr's story

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was confused when I first saw these posts because I read it as Bill Barr

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Cum Town loving sucks and if you like it your sense of humor probably loving sucks too

I've heard Stav do some funny solo bits outside Cum Town I guess, but god is the podcast terrible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bill Burr absolutely has some racist transphobic poo poo inside his head but he recognizes his biases and tries to get past them. He's your lovely racist uncle, but he actually understands that he's wrong and is doing his loving best to not be such a piece of poo poo. Bill Burr is what you want broke-brained older people to be. You want them to admit they're wrong and try to change and you need to accept that they gently caress up sometimes. That doesn't mean you have to let them off the hook or endorse any of their pleistocene views.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Bill Burr absolutely has some racist transphobic poo poo inside his head but he recognizes his biases and tries to get past them. He's your lovely racist uncle, but he actually understands that he's wrong and is doing his loving best to not be such a piece of poo poo.

that was Archie Bunker’s entire character. I’ve met a few guys who aspire to be like that but were really just dicks who didn’t want to get called out on it. I feel like it shouldn’t be that hard to get over those biases even if you grew up around those attitudes but for Bill Burr being stuck in that in between is a career choice.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

Cum Town loving sucks and if you like it your sense of humor probably loving sucks too

I've heard Stav do some funny solo bits outside Cum Town I guess, but god is the podcast terrible

i listened to cum town once. i don't know what i was expecting to get out of it but at least I can say i tried

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
funny joke, not offensive: haha yeah
funny joke, bad words: hmm.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Office Pig posted:

i listened to cum town once. i don't know what i was expecting to get out of it but at least I can say i tried

I tried to listen to their call of cthulhu game and it was just a bunch of dorks giggling over using antiquated slurs.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Snowy posted:

that was Archie Bunker’s entire character. I’ve met a few guys who aspire to be like that but were really just dicks who didn’t want to get called out on it. I feel like it shouldn’t be that hard to get over those biases even if you grew up around those attitudes but for Bill Burr being stuck in that in between is a career choice.

He definitely errs on the Adam Carolla side sometimes and shouldn't ever be let off the hook for that but again at least he loving tries rather than just endlessly crutching on "I'm old and you're going to cancel me!!!"

This is from someone who thinks Philadelphia is the greatest city in the world. And Bill Burr is not a friend of Philadelphia.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Somberbrero posted:

I tried to listen to their call of cthulhu game and it was just a bunch of dorks giggling over using antiquated slurs.

If doing a bit, pretty funny and accurate a parody of many an idiot. If not... oof

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Apoplexy posted:

If doing a bit, pretty funny and accurate a parody of many an idiot. If not... oof

If it's the Chapo CoC episodes with some Cum Town cameos, they are 100% doing a bit about how modern conservatives are jsut old-time racists with a new veneer. Their characters are pastiches of people they make fun of on their show.

Like how techbros keep trying to remake Phrenology.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
do the cum town guys ever do their slurs bits in front of black people

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Snowy posted:

"Just get over it" would make Cognitive Behavior Therapy so much easier.

Oh you're a drug addict from years of abuse and neglect? Just get over it!

Sex offender from decades of narcissism and sociopathy? Just get over it!

Multi-generational line of misogynism? Should be pretty easy to completely rewire the brain!

It's just a switch you can flip, you see...

lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Empire in Decline (your taxes dollars at work)

https://twitter.com/mettaworldwar/status/1371607003072716801?s=20

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

"Hey, do we need to call that up?"

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

samantonio posted:

"Just get over it" would make Cognitive Behavior Therapy so much easier.

Oh you're a drug addict from years of abuse and neglect? Just get over it!

Sex offender from decades of narcissism and sociopathy? Just get over it!

Multi-generational line of misogynism? Should be pretty easy to completely rewire the brain!

It's just a switch you can flip, you see...

lmao
buddy, this is a real bad post

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

DarkEuphoria posted:

buddy, this is a real bad post

Explain

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gandlethorpe posted:

The end of hickory

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM: Still Figuring it Out > C-SPAM pictures 2021: The end of hickory

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Don't go stanning sex offenders on the day we're cleaning out people stanning paedophiles.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Inceltown posted:

Don't go stanning sex offenders on the day we're cleaning out people stanning paedophiles.

Let me rephrase then. If anyone thinks that severe mental illnesses or learned behaviors (whatever the breed) can just be forgotten without serious work to rewire the brain and learn new pathways, I feel they are misinformed on how the brain works.

Is that better?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Only in CSPAM can you call sex offenders narcissistic, sociopathic people with severe mental illnesses that need lots of cognitive behavioral therapy and be told you're stanning them lol

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

samantonio posted:

Only in CSPAM can you call sex offenders narcissistic, sociopathic people with severe mental illnesses that need lots of cognitive behavioral therapy and be told you're stanning them lol

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Look at all these great pictures among this discussion on a comedians history of transphobia

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Look at all these great pictures among this discussion on a comedians history of transphobia

I specifically like your pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
apropos of Bill Burr chat whatever happened to Dave Attell?

that dude was like everywhere 20 years ago and then he wasn’t, did he get cancelled for something?