Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

flashback to the time that someone from reddit bought Maki Itoh a book of British slang and obscenities:

https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1173056034581037056

"Boy that's a deep cut, we used to use that all the time when we were kids, I wonder where it comes fr.... oh. Oh no. It's racist, isn't it?"

Somehow she only knows the bad words and has still beaten me at English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's really too bad the warrior didn't die when he was rumored to have. Dude was a real piece of poo poo.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Yup. Don't meet (or read about) your heroes

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Eclipse12 posted:

Yup. Don't meet (or read about) your heroes

as far as I can tell, the lesson of the 1980s is that gigantic scary heels are actually the nicest guys in the world (John "Earthquake" Tenta was also apparently a saint) while all of the guys that look like GI Joe fall somewhere on a range from "troubled but generally well-meaning" to "basically pinochet with muscles"

i am unsure what to do with this information

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Except Bret Hart who, it appears, has no scandals that I've come across. Sounds like he was upstanding in the locker room, the ring, and in person.

But of course, he's Canadian.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Legit burst out laughing at Uncle Jessie vs Bobby Who?

I'm gonna need you to quit your job and make more raw recaps.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Eclipse12 posted:

Except Bret Hart who, it appears, has no scandals that I've come across. Sounds like he was upstanding in the locker room, the ring, and in person.

It's not problematic really but that story about him pissing on the side of the road with his sons is kinda weird

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

It's not problematic really but that story about him pissing on the side of the road with his sons is kinda weird

Bret Hart loves to talk about piss

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Hey kids! Play along with Raw at home with your very own Bingo card! Fill up nearly the entire card in a matter of minutes!

Randomly generate your own Raw '93 card:
https://bingobaker.com#d859108407f07c5b

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Eclipse12 posted:

About the most scandalous thing regarding Bret Hart that I can ever recall hearing would be the reported rumors that he cheated on his wife a lot while on the road, including supposedly with former WWF manager/personality Sunny aka Tammy Sytch. But I don't think anything was actually proven, just alleged (hence the origin of Shawn Michaels' "Sunny days" comment during a promo, when he and Bret were feuding). And although it's still a lovely thing to do, "wrestler cheated on spouse while on the road" is akin to saying "water is wet and fire is hot" in terms of how commonplace of a scandal it tends to be.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

By sheer coincidence, this is literally the same page I'm on in the book:

Hard to verify, but worth considering

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Sydney Bottocks posted:

About the most scandalous thing regarding Bret Hart that I can ever recall hearing would be the reported rumors that he cheated on his wife a lot while on the road, including supposedly with former WWF manager/personality Sunny aka Tammy Sytch. But I don't think anything was actually proven, just alleged (hence the origin of Shawn Michaels' "Sunny days" comment during a promo, when he and Bret were feuding). And although it's still a lovely thing to do, "wrestler cheated on spouse while on the road" is akin to saying "water is wet and fire is hot" in terms of how commonplace of a scandal it tends to be.

Yeah, that is all I heard about him, I thought it was basically confirmed he had a lot of sex on the road to avoid doing drugs and alcohol, MAYBE even he said it himself, memory is hazy on that subject. Also, lol at HBK he slept with Sunny for sure. Also in that feud, or another one between them Bret said that Shawn wasn't in a girly magazine, but a GAY MAGAZINE! (in regards to playgirl)

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Now I'm reading that after getting screwed by Vince McMahon, Hart spit a loogie in Vince's eye at ringside and later punched him out cold backstage.

A king amongst men.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Yeah, the Montreal Screwjob and the fallout is incredible. It also helped create the Attitude Era because it provided wrestling with the villain it so desperately needed: Vincent Kennedy McMahon Jr.

Unfortunately, Vince is a villain in real life as well as kayfabe.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Wrestling with Shadows was 'conveniently' filming leading some in the IWC to think it was all a work. Vince and Bret both wanted out of the contract, Vince was happy and gave him his blessing to go to WCW. IDK, I don't think they would have fought for 2 decades over a kayfabe. Owen was probably the issue but this is a cool thread so lets not talk about that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I honestly cannot, still after all these years, tell if the Montreal Screw job is a Work or a Shoot. All involved have always held up Kayfabe quite well and the scenario has been done many times in the history of the wrestling industry.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

After seeing WWE's "long term planning" over the last 10 years, I'm inclined to think that the Montreal Screwjob was a shoot. Vince seems to believe that he's a lovable underdog despite being a rich piece of poo poo, he viewed WCW as evil competition, and he thought HBK was the coolest and greatest wrestler of all time.

The screwjob could only be planned IF you are willing to write it from the perspective of "Vince is being an rear end in a top hat, WCW is a good opportunity, and HBK is a piece of poo poo."

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

A Fancy Hat posted:

The screwjob could only be planned IF you are willing to write it from the perspective of "Vince is being an rear end in a top hat, WCW is a good opportunity, and HBK is a piece of poo poo."

Well all 3 applied. Vince owed Bret 10 million and wanted out and so did Bret. IDK, will maybe be written in the mythical Vince auto biography!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bret Hart living kayfabe is part of the reason it's absolutely a shoot. He views himself as a Canadian hero and didn't want to look weak in his hometown.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Eclipse12 posted:

By sheer coincidence, this is literally the same page I'm on in the book:

Hard to verify, but worth considering

Shawn Michaels is a 100% piece of poo poo. It is known.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bret speaks very openly in his book about what a cheating rear end in a top hat he was but denies ever sleeping with Sunny.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

My money is on it being a work that went south.

-By all accounts Michaels and Hart legit hated each other

-Would Hart lose in that fashion (to his own sharpshooter) in front of a Canadian crowd?

-Hart was getting forced out of a 20 year contract to go to WCW only days later, and Vince obviously hated WCW at this point

-McMahon was concerned that if Michaels wasn't a "legit" winner then it would look bad when Hart went to WCW with any credible claim to still being a champ (the agreed plan was for Michaels to win via DQ and Hart voluntarily give up the belt at the next Raw, but likely McMahon was scared Hart wouldn't Do it, since Bret had a lot of cause to be bitter towards the WWF). So McMahon decides not to risk it and just calls the match at a semi-plausible moment (submission attempt).

-What would be the benefit of having such a lovely ending if it was a work? Why send thousands of Canadian fans home pissed and everyone watching PPV confused?

-Hart stayed away from WWE for a loooong time after, even past WCW being dissolved. If he was in on it, you'd think they'd have trotted him out again a lot sooner.

For me, the safe money is the longstanding story: Hart was trying to compromise despite getting screwed contractually and in the plot where he would lose to Michaels and Vince, being the rear end in a top hat, took care of Michaels first as he always did and left Hart out to dry, even though it was his fault for giving him such a sweetheart deal to begin with.

If you want to give McMahon a TON of credit you could say he was looking for a way to pull away from strict kayfabe and lean into the "what is real and what is fake???" online conversation that was growing more and more each year, but that seems unlikely.

What's the Coca Cola quote? "We aren't that smart, and we aren't that stupid."

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Eclipse12 posted:

Now I'm reading that after getting screwed by Vince McMahon, Hart spit a loogie in Vince's eye at ringside and later punched him out cold backstage.

A king amongst men.

Just remember that Bret utterly refused to give up the fake championship title of the fake sport when his boss told him to. It wasn't like he was losing his livelihood or anything. Michaels and Hart are both egomaniacs (one was slightly more pilled up than the other) and Vince is going to do whatever it takes to get what he wants.

The whole incident was also the moment the "evil owner Vince McMahon" character was born.

Eclipse12 posted:

-Would Hart lose in that fashion (to his own sharpshooter) in front of a Canadian crowd?

Michaels barely had the sharpshooter on when Hebner called for the bell. Hebner then immediately rolls out of the ring and gets the gently caress out. Triple H is also waiting pretty much on the ramp to back up Michaels.

A lot of people knew about the double cross before it went down.

oh dope fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 16, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, the Montreal Screwjob and the fallout is incredible. It also helped create the Attitude Era because it provided wrestling with the villain it so desperately needed: Vincent Kennedy McMahon Jr.

Unfortunately, Vince is a villain in real life as well as kayfabe.

The Screwjob is fascinating because not only did WWF take what should have been a fatal wound and turn it into a major success, but having Bret Hart go to WCW after all that scandal while they were building up their biggest match ever of Sting vs. Hogan should have been an absolute layup. Instead, WCW dropped the ball so hard they never recovered and spent the next three years making every wrong decision until they were just a crater.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Gavok posted:

The Screwjob is fascinating because not only did WWF take what should have been a fatal wound and turn it into a major success, but having Bret Hart go to WCW after all that scandal while they were building up their biggest match ever of Sting vs. Hogan should have been an absolute layup. Instead, WCW dropped the ball so hard they never recovered and spent the next three years making every wrong decision until they were just a crater.

Sting should have been in shape and had a tan! ;)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Gavok posted:

Didn't Hogan gently caress up that match with his creative control?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
He lost right? well the false finish was his idea then bret came out, wow so cool!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Shawn Michaels is a 100% piece of poo poo. It is known.

So is Sunny, and in the exact way that if she had been loving Bret she would have let us all know about it in between rants about how much she hates Muslims.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Gavok posted:

Jim Cornette's take on it is pretty great, but I might be biased because I love hearing Jim tell wrestling stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VfXWbsFAG8

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Michael Corleone posted:

Also in that feud, or another one between them Bret said that Shawn wasn't in a girly magazine, but a GAY MAGAZINE! (in regards to playgirl)

I mean...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

Jim Cornette's take on it is pretty great, but I might be biased because I love hearing Jim tell wrestling stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VfXWbsFAG8

He's also a racist, homophobic piece of poo poo who has spent the last five years destroying all good will and any legacy he may have once had.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Cubone posted:

I mean...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's also a racist, homophobic piece of poo poo who has spent the last five years destroying all good will and any legacy he may have once had.

Don't forget the whole 'accusing Kenny Omega of sleeping with underage Japanese girls' thing

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

I thought earlier in this thread we had debunked the racism and homophobia part. He has said that he hated racism and homophobia, and it was one of the reasons he loving hated the Ultimate Warrior.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

I thought earlier in this thread we had debunked the racism and homophobia part. He has said that he hated racism and homophobia, and it was one of the reasons he loving hated the Ultimate Warrior.

No we didn't debunk poo poo. He hates Muslims and makes gay jokes about AEW people constantly. His most recent hit was calling a female wrestler a slut several times. If you want to defend him you can gently caress right off cause you're probably just like him. Most racists will say that they're not racists till they're blue in the face, just like Jim, but I'm not gonna take the word of a loving racist so it doesn't matter what he says.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bogus Adventure posted:

He had to resign from the NWA last year for joking about Ethiopians chasing fried chicken carts

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jim Cornette posted:

"But let me tell you something dickface after you have gone off on that promo, let me tell you a few things. Number one of which I'll admit that the people running the United States are a really hosed up bunch of people, however, you think it's bad, [if] those loving dalmatian eating loving psychopaths that run your loving countries over there [got] a hold of the U.S.'s resources and you'll see what would happen. The whole loving Earth would be blown up in six loving weeks, because your people are a bunch of goddamn lunatics and here's why motherfucker. The Americans are psychopaths? We're loving amateurs. Here's what you ought to do just before we even get into the meat of the matter, what you ought to do is you ought to put a loving kibosh on those street celebrations you have where 20,000 of ya are out on the loving street wearing some lovely clothes that look like they haven't been washed in loving six weeks with goats firing off automatic weapons up in the air celebrating with the loving burning loving George Bush effigies and death to America banners. We know George Bush was a goddamn idiot, but you know what, we also don't really burn people in a loving street around here for real even if he deserved it, which he did, and you people do, so don't try to tell me about this peaceful loving Islamic religion when all you see from these goddamn backward rear end cave-loving people's countries are goddamn people burning other people in the streets and throwing them off goddamn roofs, first of all....

But with the Muslims you're not even safe in loving Disneyland, so as far as I'm concerned the Muslims have lost the right to be indignant when people knock them or their religion or look at them sideways or like they're scared because when a large number of those people are loving nuts and regardless of what this guy says what you hear on television or you read in the newspapers and magazines and the things that these religious leaders call [for], the fatwahs on people, and they loving shoot people for cartoons, if your religion calls for a lot of hosed up things to happen to women or gay people and or anybody that tells you that your God is fictitious and you are easily egged on by all those other religions with their fictitious versions of God telling you your God is fictitious, which they all are by the way, so the only way to get even is to blow up a bunch of people you don't know. No, I'm not onboard with your poo poo their pal....

You can't go out and discriminate against or be violent to anybody just because a bunch of their loving people but not all do bad things, but you can have a group of people who lose their right to be surprised or offended or indignant when they don't like them or look sideways at them or talk bad about them because their group is involved with so many bullshit loving incidents in so many places over so long a period of loving time. The loving Scientologists may not be there yet, but the Muslims are. And once again, memo Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, [if they didn't] look like a goddamn bunch of loving, you know, nutcases, Ayatollah Who The gently caress and all the goddamn maniacs with all the automatic rifles with the death to America banners, and have a bunch of people jumping up and down screaming like cave people on acid it would help your loving public relations.

Yes, and I realise the United States has been hosed up but it doesn't matter even when we get a goddamn guy named Barack Obama in the White House as the leader of the free world and still you think the loving West is on a goddamn war against Islam? We're in a war against Islam because you keep blowing poo poo up, motherfucker. So anyway shooting strangers with an AK-47 or blowing up a nightclub in Paris because you're pissed off that you got the wrong end of the stick religiously or politically is not the way that normal people solve their problems and you want to loving defend your goddamn religion? If it wasn't for this religion, this particular religion, all of these stories are fictitious and made up, there is no invisible, supernatural supreme being, all the stories are bullshit, but yours is the one that people are killing people over, so it's the one I'm going to like the least and there's nothing that you can really do about that because the team that I play for, the atheists, don't loving kill anybody or blow anybody up, so don't be sending me emails telling me that I need to modify my opinion, motherfucker. How about a large order of fish heads for you? That's my response to you, I don't give a poo poo."

Yeah, doesn't seem like a racist at all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rarity posted:

He had to resign from the NWA last year for joking about Ethiopians chasing fried chicken carts

"He’s the only man I’ve ever known that can strap a bucket of fried chicken on his back and ride a motor scooter across Ethiopia."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yikes :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I used to like him too. He was a curmudgeon but he had good stories about the old days, even if he couldn't get over those days. But his recent behavior is beyond the pale.