Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Even a trade of Johnson and a 1st for a 6th or something wouldn't be enough. The Lightning would've had to move out somewhere in the neighbourhood of $9m in real salary while taking none back to keep Kucherov on the roster. That means moving another player or not resigning one of Cirelli or Sregachev. They'd likely still have to move $3-4m more salary out on top of that to be able to sign three league minimum players as replacements.

Maybe it was a huge coincidence the timing, but with ten days to go before the season started the Lightning had made no attempts to address their serious cap issues after waiving Johnson (unsuccessfuly) two months prior. I guess they could've been banking on a series of miracle trades to solve all their problems in the week between Christmas and New Year, but I skmehow doubt that.

It all worked out way too conviniently for the Lightning for them not to have known well in advance they'd have $10m of LTIR coming to them before the season began.

Sergachev and Cerelli would have got 1 year deals for 2 million less each, they would have waived McEhlinney, traded Blake Coleman etc. There's ways to trim 3-4 million. Kucherov first reported having pain December 3rd. He got a cortisone shot and the pain didn't stop. Its not some wild conspiracy. Again, I think you're putting way to much weight on a player willingly having that sort of hip surgery versus playing through it instead as no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Misanthrope posted:

Speaking of the recapture penalty being entertaining and great, I can't wait for Shea Weber to retire early.

You mean sneak onto LTIR with a mystery illness that everyone quietly accepts that he'll never play again?

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I do hear Robidas Island is lovely this time of year. Surely it still will be in, uh, 4-5 seasons.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Kucherov getting surgery is convenient but nowhere near the bullshit of Hossa getting allergic to his equipment the moment his contract took a nosedive in pay.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1371975267233755140

Good thread by Gord (click the tweet to read it all, obviously)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They do have the money, T-Pegs just doesn’t want to pay it. Unfortunately Ralph has another year on his contract after this one so he will get paid another $3.9m whether he coaches or not. They also don’t really have anyone in the organization to be interim coach because they fired their legitimately good AHL coach after last season because they are dumb as poo poo idk

Hot rumor is they want to hire the coach of the Providence Friars but have to wait until after the college season is over. Idk why they wouldn’t want to hire Boudreau, Elliot Friedman seems to think he would do it. He was very good at coaching during the regular season and if the goal is just to make the playoffs at all, seems like a good bet!

Fair. Having and not wanting to spend is just as bad. Or possibly worse?

Boudreau would be a fun pick. As the very least the team would have some structure, and they’d probably start having fun again. I’m pretty sure that Bruce just wants to coach again. It’s been 13 months since he got replaced in MN, and he just always seemed like he wants to breath hockey until he can’t anymore.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

e: ^^^ Having and not wanting to spend is how you get more Ottawa Senators. The league would not survive having multiple Melnyks at the same time.

Misanthrope posted:

Speaking of the recapture penalty being entertaining and great, I can't wait for Shea Weber to retire early.

Who is the one that will have (or had? maybe already retired?) like 5-6 teams paying for their retirement? It was pretty recent and I think Vancouver was one of the teams.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Kilza posted:

gord is based

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They do have the money, T-Pegs just doesn’t want to pay it. Unfortunately Ralph has another year on his contract after this one so he will get paid another $3.9m whether he coaches or not. They also don’t really have anyone in the organization to be interim coach because they fired their legitimately good AHL coach after last season because they are dumb as poo poo idk

Hot rumor is they want to hire the coach of the Providence Friars but have to wait until after the college season is over. Idk why they wouldn’t want to hire Boudreau, Elliot Friedman seems to think he would do it. He was very good at coaching during the regular season and if the goal is just to make the playoffs at all, seems like a good bet!

Boudreau may not want to coach the Buffalo Sabres.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Ovechkin now 6th all time! :siren:

Power play shot from the office.
:allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
For a coach in Boudreau's position going to Buffalo could be a career ender. I'd expect him to hold out for something better less obviously terrible in every way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah any of the standard choices right now are going to want nothing to do with coaching buffalo, so they're going to have to find someone from the minors, juniors, or college.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
8 is now No. 6

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

DJExile posted:

Yeah any of the standard choices right now are going to want nothing to do with coaching buffalo, so they're going to have to find someone from the minors, juniors, or college.

Sigh. I suppose it is up to me to coach the Sabres.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Pungry posted:

Sigh. I suppose it is up to me to coach the Sabres.

I don't think Sabres fans will appreciate you throwing every game to the other team because you're a fan of the opponent!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kilza posted:

I don't think Sabres fans will appreciate you throwing every game to the other team because you're a fan of the opponent!

How would they be able to tell?

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Kilza posted:

Hey, I'm equally a fan of the Sabres, so I'd do everything in my power to get every game to OT.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

They changed the rules after Luongo retired so now recapture penalties can't be higher the the player's cap hit in a single season. So there's no $24m single season penalty coming.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Misanthrope posted:

weber could get a career-ending injury tonight and montreal still would have won that trade

and I thought it was a terrible idea at the time myself

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Kilza posted:

Good thread but he quotes Winston Churchill in it, so I'm afraid he has been cancelled. A shame, really.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Schremp Howard posted:

Kucherov getting surgery is convenient but nowhere near the bullshit of Hossa getting allergic to his equipment the moment his contract took a nosedive in pay.

In terms of, like, divine intervention favouring the Chicago Blackhawks' hockey management, yeah. But he really did develop a horrible career-ending skin condition.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Any contract manipulation shenanigans that occur in the NHL are bush league to what NFL teams have been up to lately. Try reading up on the contract that New Orleans gave Taysom Hill, it'll make your head spin.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1371984388045553674?s=20

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Duckman2008 posted:

Boudreau may not want to coach the Buffalo Sabres.

That’s a definite possibility but like I said, Elliot Friedman seems to think he is interested.

https://twitter.com/nhl_watcher/status/1370949251052748807?s=21

Kale
May 14, 2010

th3t00t posted:

How is Ralph Kreuger still employed?

Sabres are 0-9-2 in their last 11 games and 6-0 loss last night.

I bet you if they played the Habs they'd win comfortably 4-1 with the most garbage goals and the Habs just taking 8 brain-dead minor penalties cause reasons so that they never once look in the game.

Still maybe not since the Habs haven't looked that loving terrible since March which would normally be December in a regular season which is not usually one of the appalling months in a regular season for them but usually not one of the good ones either. The absolutely terrible months consistently seem to be November, March and April and the good ones tend to be October and February with special mention for October where they always look ready to take on the whole drat league before just eating all the poo poo in November like a switch gets flipped like the calendar page.

Ottawa and Buffalo really do seem to be a special kind of bad in recent years though. Not gonna lie they kind of register as the same team to me somehow

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 17, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

I mean it's kind of obvious how Ovechkin scores all those goals. Get on the power play, get a pass just above the O-Zone face-off dot for the power up and so it messes with the opposing goalies AI and just wire it in. I'm pretty sure that shot just has hitscan too.

Kale fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 17, 2021

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

tinstaach posted:

Good thread but he quotes Winston Churchill in it, so I'm afraid he has been cancelled. A shame, really.

Cancel culture, am I right? :rolleyes:

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

boudreau should not coach the sabres because I like it when he does caps post game shows. if he can coach the sabres while continuing to do caps post game that would be cool too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

romanowski posted:

boudreau should not coach the sabres because I like it when he does caps post game shows. if he can coach the sabres while continuing to do caps post game that would be cool too

Honestly the sabres might be desperate enough to allow that sort of thing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

romanowski posted:

He was weak and strange the first couple appearances but he’s gotten used to it and is pretty cool now.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

They changed the rules after Luongo retired so now recapture penalties can't be higher the the player's cap hit in a single season. So there's no $24m single season penalty coming.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that the potential recapture fucks over Nashville and not Montreal?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

stab posted:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that the potential recapture fucks over Nashville and not Montreal?

Correct, Nashville got 4 years of Weber for 56 million dollars, but only had a cap hit of 31.4 million. So if he doesn't serve his time in Montreal they're on the hook for cheating the cap by 24.6 million.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

stab posted:

That's correct. This article talks about how it'd affect the Preds (tl;dr: Preds would be on the hook for a ~$7.9 mil cap hit now over 3 seasons if he retired in the last year, instead of $24.5 mil).

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

For a coach in Boudreau's position going to Buffalo could be a career ender. I'd expect him to hold out for something better less obviously terrible in every way.

Bruce Boudreau is 66 years old, how many more coaching jobs do you think he's going to have???

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Bruce Boudreau is 66 years old, how many more coaching jobs do you think he's going to have???

The way the NHL is going, 12?

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Just checked capfriendly. Weber is only getting paid 1 mil per year for his last 3 seasons (with a 7.8 mil cap hit). So Nashville could get hit pretty hard for cashing on the early years at a big discount. It's all Philly's fault.

Or Melnyk will pick him up if the "unparalleled success" plan falls through.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have no idea what the context of this was but it rules

https://twitter.com/thechargingbuf/status/1371980442992320512?s=21

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
the most wild thing about nashville being stuck with the potential dead cap space is it wasnt even their contract that weber signed it was philly screwing them over

paul holmgren, master troll

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

hahaha that owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Just checked capfriendly. Weber is only getting paid 1 mil per year for his last 3 seasons (with a 7.8 mil cap hit). So Nashville could get hit pretty hard for cashing on the early years at a big discount. It's all Philly's fault.

Or Melnyk will pick him up if the "unparalleled success" plan falls through.

You know you're getting old when you remember Weber signing that deal and this thread responding by predicting this exact situation