Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wife's 2014 13" MBP had a wear spot in the coating, two actually, but its where she puts her hand on the screen when she opens/closes the lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ultimate Mango posted:

Give me four ports two busses so I can run a 4K and a dock with additional monitors simultaneously(on an apple laptop) or give me death

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Technically correct is the best kind of correct

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I believe there will be NO March event.. if there were, Apple would have already sent out PR for it.. 3/23 was the date cited by 'leakers' but it's 3/16 and nary a peep from Apple.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe they’ll just drop stuff on the site that day. I don’t think they need a big stage to show off air tags or a new screen for the iPad Pro

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

hatty posted:

Maybe they’ll just drop stuff on the site that day. I don’t think they need a big stage to show off air tags or a new screen for the iPad Pro

Air tags maaaaybe since it's a new product, but yeah they don't need an event for a refresh on the Pro.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I don't see a big press event for "oh hey, M1 adoption was a lot smoother than we anticipated, uh, here's the M2 models that aren't quite as rushed, also we're raising the prices on M2 and Intel by a lot, ciao"

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
if they wanted they could just put up their video presentation and ship out units to a select few if they wanted to bother. they can do whatever they want and none of it will affect sales. apple-related media is by and large useless for any real information until the products have been on the market for some time and even then it’s marginal

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m really ready for a new 12.9 pro.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I’m really ready for a new 12.9 pro.

me too. i can’t afford/justify it tho. i’m just glad the lcd isn’t hosed on mine even though i whacked it and cracked the digitizer pretty severely

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I got my mom one of those new iPad airs in green and the color is real nice. I hope the new iPad Pro has it and all of the laptops too

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

A couple years ago there was a week they released refreshed products every day for four days. On Thursday everyone was going crazy thinking Apple was about to drop a major last product on Friday. Instead they didn’t release anything on that day and the internet cried.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tim Cook: "No more things"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If the MacBook Pro and iMacs are getting new silicon that is anything besides and M1 they will have to do an event. Doubly so if they come with design refreshes as well.

Airtags will need a video presentation on what the hell they are and why they’re better than Tile.

Oh and the big HomePod just got discontinued, it’s only HomePod Mini now.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I don't see a big press event for "oh hey, M1 adoption was a lot smoother than we anticipated, uh, here's the M2 models that aren't quite as rushed, also we're raising the prices on M2 and Intel by a lot, ciao"

Is there any indication they’d actually raise MacBook prices considerably? I guess maybe if they kept the m1 models and added m2 as a higher tier?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is that the M2 is going to be an M1 but with formal Thunderbolt 4 support and dual external monitors and a modest 2% performance bump, and then an M1.5 for the consumer stuff which are just detuned leftovers from M2 production

Or maybe they just release them as Rev B and don't publicize it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hadlock posted:

:thunk:

Hadlock posted:

My guess is that the M2 is going to be an M1 but with formal Thunderbolt 4 support and dual external monitors and a modest 2% performance bump, and then an M1.5 for the consumer stuff which are just detuned leftovers from M2 production

lmao

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

frogbs posted:

Is there any indication they’d actually raise MacBook prices considerably? I guess maybe if they kept the m1 models and added m2 as a higher tier?

No, I'm just guessing

A) the initial models were probably priced as a loss leader to drive adoption of apple silicon
B) Intel pricing is going to probably go up at some point
1) lower Intel volume is going to push up apple's cost
2) apple is going to want to incentivize apple silicon sales over Intel
C) now that they've breached the Intel beachhead they don't have to take a loss on apple silicon powered pro machines, no idea where the calculus lands on consumer pricing. My guess is that apple is just lighting $100 bills on fire with every M1 air going out the door

My guess is that the current M1 silicon will get retired ASAP as it was only intended to get apple silicon on the market as cheap and fast as possible, and further iterations will be cheaper for apple

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I think m# is going to be tied to a die shrink, unlike intel apple is not going release a new cpu unless it has better performance per watt.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really don't mind that my MBP only has USB C ports, but I certainly won't complain when I inevitably replace it with a Mx MacBook Pro with MicroSD/SD/HDMI ports. Cable-wise, pretty much every cord I use is USB C.

Except the Logitech Unifying Receiver. Why hasn't a USB C version been released by now?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i do not at all believe apple is selling anything below cost

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Hadlock posted:

C) My guess is that apple is just lighting $100 bills on fire with every M1 air going out the door

Tim Cook is reading this while slapping his knees and laughing his rear end off

quote:

My guess is that the current M1 silicon will get retired ASAP as it was only intended to get apple silicon on the market as cheap and fast as possible, and further iterations will be cheaper for apple

That might be the case, but I'd bet Apple has already run off a bunch of them, M1s may be what they put into the next AppleTV since it has the souped up GPU over the A series..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

No, I'm just guessing

A) the initial models were probably priced as a loss leader to drive adoption of apple silicon
C) now that they've breached the Intel beachhead they don't have to take a loss on apple silicon powered pro machines, no idea where the calculus lands on consumer pricing. My guess is that apple is just lighting $100 bills on fire with every M1 air going out the door

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea that’s quite a take.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hadlock posted:

No, I'm just guessing

my dude those M1’s are modified iPad chips

Apple’s not taking a loss on poo poo now or in the future, they’re about to blow their profit margins on the Mac to obscene new heights

Intel, the company whose price gouging/product line stagnation ratio over the 2010s left it open to getting knifed in the groin by AMD, can’t possibly raise its prices any higher. Also Apple has publicly committed multiple times to divesting fully from Intel by like the end of 2022. They could probably ride out that time without ever getting new generation hardware from Intel, or by accelerating the rollout of AS-based Macs, in the event of some fictional situation where Intel might be like “haha Apple, bet you didn’t think we’d do this!”

Also I seem to have missed the news that Apple was scrambling to incentivize users to accept the new hardware architecture.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Perplx posted:

I think m# is going to be tied to a die shrink, unlike intel apple is not going release a new cpu unless it has better performance per watt.

Apple has developed and released a new SoC every year for the past several years for their iPads, iPhones, and Watches. I think it’s safe to assume Apple will be releasing updates SoCs for their Mac line on a yearly basis. Wasn’t one of the reasons they went all in on ARM because Intel was moving too slow and wouldn’t build custom designs for them?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apple has developed and released a new SoC every year for the past several years for their iPads, iPhones, and Watches. I think it’s safe to assume Apple will be releasing updates SoCs for their Mac line on a yearly basis. Wasn’t one of the reasons they went all in on ARM because Intel was moving too slow and wouldn’t build custom designs for them?

The only system that Apple has consistently released a new chip for annually is iPhone. iPad models have regularly gone ~2 years+ between updates and/or received very minor chipset alterations

Also Apple has recently begun putting older chips in lower cost iPhones, and of course they keep old chips in production while they keep older phones in production

I think it’s equally likely that we see Apple do “as often as we loving want” updates and releases for various Mac lines as it is that we see them stick to annual releases like clockwork.

The only thing that seems to really drive Apple to release new hardware frequently is strong competition, like in the phone space. If Apple feels like the M1 Mac Mini is capable enough at $699 and nobody is really competing with it then I don’t expect them to really rush out its replacement until people yell at them enough about it. Same as in the past really, but more so now that M1 is unquestionably a good value.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Hadlock posted:

In early 2020 some leakers got broadly accurate M1 specs half a year ahead of launch. Those information drops also predicted a 12-core (likely 8 performance core + 4 efficiency core) chip, and a GPU.

The informed guess is that the next tranche of Mac product releases will feature the 12-core chip. You could call it a M1.5, since it's very likely a bigger version of M1, but Apple is likely to call it M1X or M1Z (or both, if they need multiple levels of upgrade).

If there's any detuning of M1 that's going to happen, it will be an iPad Pro variant rebadged A14X with reduced clock frequency and Mac features disabled. M1 has roughly the feature list you'd expect out of an A14X, plus the extra features you'd need for a low end Mac, so it's not a stretch at all.

I dunno where you get all your weird conspiratorial ideas about this from, but they're kinda funny

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I would guess that Apple may not even care to introduce Thunderbolt 4 to the overall Mac lineup, because it doesn't seem to really gain much versus just using USB4/TB3. I guess they could look to incorporate TB4 into the new Mac Pros, and maybe the highest tier Mac mini and iMac, but otherwise, who cares if Apple mostly uses USB4/TB3 across most of the Mac product line.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
:yarg:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SourKraut posted:

I would guess that Apple may not even care to introduce Thunderbolt 4 to the overall Mac lineup, because it doesn't seem to really gain much versus just using USB4/TB3. I guess they could look to incorporate TB4 into the new Mac Pros, and maybe the highest tier Mac mini and iMac, but otherwise, who cares if Apple mostly uses USB4/TB3 across most of the Mac product line.

I thought I read somewhere in the fall that Apple had committed to supporting USB4 in the future but I can’t remember

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Youtuber "Constant Geekery" has released an interesting video reporting survey results on M1 SSD write wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmge-hXeDU

He properly caveats it all, but for what it's worth his data shows clear correlations with RAM size (8GB M1s average much more data written) and use of Chrome or Safari (Chrome users average much more data written).

Based on a commenter's suggestion, he demonstrated that when you watch YT videos in Chrome, it uses your SSD to buffer the video. Every byte ends up being written to disk, same as if you'd downloaded it. But Safari only buffers YT video data in RAM. So, even if you don't cause swapping by keeping hundreds of Chrome tabs open at all times, use of Chrome to watch videos online can cause lots of disk writes.

He didn't personally test it, but his source for the Chrome video thing claims that Edge and Firefox also do it.

Use Safari where you can, folks.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

I thought I read somewhere in the fall that Apple had committed to supporting USB4 in the future but I can’t remember

They're already claiming M1's ports are USB4.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BobHoward posted:

Youtuber "Constant Geekery" has released an interesting video reporting survey results on M1 SSD write wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmge-hXeDU

He properly caveats it all, but for what it's worth his data shows clear correlations with RAM size (8GB M1s average much more data written) and use of Chrome or Safari (Chrome users average much more data written).

Based on a commenter's suggestion, he demonstrated that when you watch YT videos in Chrome, it uses your SSD to buffer the video. Every byte ends up being written to disk, same as if you'd downloaded it. But Safari only buffers YT video data in RAM. So, even if you don't cause swapping by keeping hundreds of Chrome tabs open at all times, use of Chrome to watch videos online can cause lots of disk writes.

He didn't personally test it, but his source for the Chrome video thing claims that Edge and Firefox also do it.

Use Safari where you can, folks.

out of curiosity do we have any stats on safari vs chrome use on mac? i always use safari and find it just works better on my mac for the most part, excepting the occasional annoying refusal to resolve.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
I use Chrome primarily because I lead a heavily multi-platform lifestyle and it's nice having all my stuff synced.

Safari does seem to feel better and nicer though, with a much smaller footprint.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

I use Chrome primarily because I lead a heavily multi-platform lifestyle and it's nice having all my stuff synced.

Safari does seem to feel better and nicer though, with a much smaller footprint.

I use Firefox as it feels like a good middle ground, so it's a shame to hear the same problems affect this. Although my M1 Air (16gb) doesn't have this "issue" even if it turns out to be anything beyond "people shouting at numbers".

My non-Apple usage is really minimal so I could get by with/switch back to Safari, except they broke keyword search plugins ("az foo" in the address bar to search Amazon directly) ~18 months ago and I can't erase 15+ years of muscle memory.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Developer has first spotting of Mx-based iMac in the wild:

https://twitter.com/DocterD/status/1372186358974984193

The app is located here: https://daft.cloud

Machine was identified as an iMac running ARM code on 11.2.1..

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Froist posted:

My non-Apple usage is really minimal so I could get by with/switch back to Safari, except they broke keyword search plugins ("az foo" in the address bar to search Amazon directly) ~18 months ago and I can't erase 15+ years of muscle memory.
There’s finally a couple of extension apps that re-implement this for newer Safari versions. I don’t think I can access my Mac App Store history on my phone to post them now but I’ll link them tomorrow if you have no luck finding them

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

8GB is probably just too small.

On an intel mac mini and using chrome exclusively with a lot of tabs, the 1TB disk has less than 2TB of write after about half a year of usage. This is with 64GB of memory though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

TACD posted:

There’s finally a couple of extension apps that re-implement this for newer Safari versions. I don’t think I can access my Mac App Store history on my phone to post them now but I’ll link them tomorrow if you have no luck finding them

Oh interesting, I thought this flat out wasn't possible with the new APIs. Definitely interested in recommendations. The only one I can find on the App Store is "CustomSearch for Safari" and I can't tell whether it requires a "!" at the start of the keywords to work..