Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nobody Interesting posted:

The Living Desert is really great, my only objection to the mod is the post-LR Tunneler spawns. It's not #content it's just more beasties and angry people.

I know it's my personal preference but that's what I found refreshing about FNV, not fighting everything. When I first played it when it came out I was honestly underwhelmed at how it didn't feel like I was constantly doing something like FO3. I guess time has allowed me to appreciate the fact that I don't *have* to constantly be fighting to have a good time, play it more like an adventure than an fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

What’s the best crafting/ammo overhaul? I vaguely remember CASE working with a lot of mods but also it requires some weird tool called Modfusion that doesn’t seem to have been updated since 2012. I’d like to be able to break down 40mm and craft all the unique GRA ammo types.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

CaptainPsyko posted:

Hello thread. It's about that time where I'm getting that itch to spend three weeks perfectly tuning a mod list for a game I haven't played in nearly a decade, and then spend 4 hours playing that game and forgetting about it until I need hard drive space and am wondering why that folder is 50 gigabytes a year from now.

SO! I understand that the cool hip thing to do is just follow the Viva New Vegas mod guide for the most part. Neat! This seems mostly in line with my own philosophy of mostly wanting a Vanilla+ type of experience, etc. etc., rather than exploring the various dark corners of nexusmods anime pederasty.

BUT, the VNV guide explicitly doesn't bother with any graphical enhancement stuff in the name of performance. That's all well and good, but I have a really sick gaming computer for the first time in forever, and I want to bring it to it's knees. But also, I don't want to gently caress around with too much jank either. With that in mind, is something like this texture mod and just set and forget my best option? Is there a better up to date guide for graphical updates that's compatible with/comparable to Viva New Vegas?

Additionally, a thing I remember fondly is radio mods that add more songs and make the whole thing less repetitive. What's the best option for that sort of thing?

Also also, I recall mods to delay DLC quest triggers until reaching specific levels/story breakpoints being a thing. What's the preferred one of those?

And finally, is using https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71609 gonna break anything with the above?

If you want a wabbajack mod list that includes a bunch of graphical updates, the DCNV one includes everything set up for you, if you don’t mind installing fallout 3 along with it (the mod list starts you off in DC for some reason and I’d recommend just console commanding your way out)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
And no sooner do I start down this rabbit hole than do I find something is hosed.

Apparently something is hosed up with Steam where it will not install all of the Courier's Stash DLC's; I only ever get the Mercenary Pack. The Tribal/Classic/Caravan packs just do not install. I've reinstalled the game three times now, and it just doesn't add those. According to Steam I own Courier's Stash though - certainly, it won't let me just spend the buck fifty to buy it again. (Though they're more than happy to sell me the Ultimate Edition of everything I already own for 20 bucks).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CaptainPsyko posted:

And no sooner do I start down this rabbit hole than do I find something is hosed.

Apparently something is hosed up with Steam where it will not install all of the Courier's Stash DLC's; I only ever get the Mercenary Pack. The Tribal/Classic/Caravan packs just do not install. I've reinstalled the game three times now, and it just doesn't add those. According to Steam I own Courier's Stash though - certainly, it won't let me just spend the buck fifty to buy it again. (Though they're more than happy to sell me the Ultimate Edition of everything I already own for 20 bucks).

So, apparently, the Mercenary Pack, which I received with my Best Buy preorder of the collectors edition 10.5 years ago, was renamed to the “Couriers Stash”; when people buy the Couriers Stash through Steam, they are also given the Tribal/Caravan/Classic packs as three other, separate DLC’s, but which cannot be bought independently. Because I own the Couriers Stash (mercenary pack), I am unable to buy the Couriers Stash (bundle of 4 dumb DLC’s that costs 1.50).

This is extremely dumb. Just gonna yolo and hope nothing randomly decides that it doesn’t want to work in a game without the Vault 13 Canteen being present.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Have you tried buying the Ultimate edition on Steam? If it's like other bundles, it should work where it discounts/removes items that you already have in your library and fills out missing DLC.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

moot the hopple posted:

Have you tried buying the Ultimate edition on Steam? If it's like other bundles, it should work where it discounts/removes items that you already have in your library and fills out missing DLC.

Yup; I'm literally blocked from buying the ultimate edition, because as far as Steam is concerned I own 'everything' that they actually sell. But my version of one of those things didn't come with three freebies that people who 'bought' it after me did.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I have a surplus Courier's Stash DLC in my Steam inventory that was gifted to me by a well-meaning classmate six years ago, I could try gifting it to you if you'd like.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In all honesty you aren't missing out on much

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Gaius Marius posted:

In all honesty you aren't missing out on much

He's not, but the problem is a good number of mods require ALL DLC, including CS.
This is kind of the eventual fate of most big Bethesda/Gamebyro games really.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

You can permanently remove stuff from your Steam account these days, if you get rid of it maybe it'll let you buy the CS DLC? Alternatively there's getting it on GOG or even trying to raise a ticket with Steam support.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I remember one of my first posts in here was not being able to get some mods to work and having to shell out 99 cents for Courier's Stash to fix it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have extremely vague memories of someone creating a mod that made dummy files for the courier stash dlc's. Maybe try nexusing that

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

MarcusSA posted:

I realize this is going to sound a bit whiny but why are all the mods such a pain in the rear end to install?
The unreasonable difficulty (imo) of many mod installs is one of the things that motivated me to make installing JSawyer extremely simple.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

The current maintainer of YUP is going to roll my Lucky 38 / Companions fix from a few pages ago into the next version, but they're considering allowing companions to enter the penthouse after House is killed.

Thoughts? Since the script on the door and on Victor are separate but still do the same thing, it looks like a deliberate choice to me that the companions still wait when House is killed and Victor isn't present.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't love it only because NPC's in my player home are annoying as gently caress and always get in my way. Storywise it should be fine

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The current maintainer of YUP is going to roll my Lucky 38 / Companions fix from a few pages ago into the next version, but they're considering allowing companions to enter the penthouse after House is killed.

Thoughts? Since the script on the door and on Victor are separate but still do the same thing, it looks like a deliberate choice to me that the companions still wait when House is killed and Victor isn't present.

Seems outside scope for what's supposed to be an entirely pure bug fixing patch. Why can't "Companions Access the Penthouse" be a mod on it's own? For the people who really care, they'll merge it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Mojave Straycats
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/70220

Mojave Raccoons
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71773

Mojave Jumping Spiders
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69904

Mojave Iguanas
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71775

This modder also has a rattlesnake mod but you literally have to download the entire New California mod for the assets. So gently caress that.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I was using the Straycats mod on my current playthrough, but I had to take it out after the game kept slowing to single digit FPS and crashing near Camp Golf.

So Caveat Emptor if you're considering using that one.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Proletarian Mango posted:

That texture pack looks nice but it's obscenely large and for all you gotta go through to download and install it you may as well stick with the tried and true all time hits.

Here's what I'm running and I think the game looks great without using 4k textures for everything:

1 - NMC's Texture Pack as a base. Installed first.

2 - Poco Bueno Texture Pack installed second to get a number of things NMC didn't. It'll overwrite some of NMC's textures too. You could install this first and NMC second, it honestly comes down to personal preference. This is mine.

3 - MGs Neat Clutter Retextures covers all the little poo poo the other two packs don't.

4 - Wasteland Flora and Terrain Overhaul. Get the main file and install the 'fertile' version. Also download and install the 'alternate grass atlas' file. Finally, and this is all personal preference, download and install the 'UHQNV Rocks - Road and Terrain Overhaul' file. These better match vanilla aesthetic and that's what you're going for, right?

4.5 - Less Fertile Wasteland Flora Overhaul is installed on top of WFO. It removes the new trees scattered around the Mojave while keeping the rest of the new fauna.

5 - Smooth Sky - Advanced Sky Gradient simply replaces the low res sun & glare texture with a crisp 4k texture. Ever look at the sky and notice a sort of blocky, grainy texture that moves around when you look around? This mod fixes that.

6 - PM's Med Textures. HD med & chem retexture that looks great.

Finally, once/if you have all of this installed, take a look at this guide and generate some LOD: https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/ka2s1p/fnv_the_guide_on_how_to_get_the_best_lod_possible/

This will cover pretty much everything except creatures/people, clothing, & weapons since those things tend to need a lot of patches and there's a lot of options for those but the rest of this will serve you well 99% of the time.

e: that 4k pack is 20GB lmao hell yeah it has 4k normal maps
thanks for this btw;

That reddit guide is... a lot to follow in terms of the assumptions it makes for me having gone in blind, but I think I did everything right. (Or at least, in 10 minutes of poking around, nothing crashed, and it got rid of the checkerboard rocks in the distance that I saw when I tried to just... ignore that part after installing all the other mods.)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Any of you know how to troubleshoot leveled lists? I have both Weapons of the New Millenia + MTindle installed and Tammer's NIF Bashed Weapons and the latter only show up as like 1-2% of weapon drops (I went into god mode on a new game and started slaughtering fiends until i found a gun from the latter). I created a merged patch with FNVEdit and it seems to have combined everything so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Also, is there still a copy of the final beta of Naky's Armory floating around? I did like using that mod but Naky took it down a long time ago.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

The automatic merged patch creation in FNVEdit produces interesting results and I don't recommend relying on it. You're going to need to manually merge the leveled lists, unfortunately.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The automatic merged patch creation in FNVEdit produces interesting results and I don't recommend relying on it. You're going to need to manually merge the leveled lists, unfortunately.

Using wrye bash then, I’m assuming?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Using wrye bash then, I’m assuming?

No, using FNVEdit. You can drag and drop records into your merged patch to make sure everything's a-ok. Filter for conflicts to make things easier.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Use zEdit/zMerge instead of FNVedit.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I noticed after I started using the LAER that nobody was blowing up from my Meltdown perk. I thought it was only plasma weapons, so I switched, but then while looking something else up I saw it was supposed to work with ALL energy weapons. A quick Google says that fixing this might require using FNVedit. Is that accurate?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
If YUP doesn't fix it then yea, probably. I imagine since technically the LAER is an electric weapon and not laser or plasma then it wouldn't qualify for meltdown.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I noticed after I started using the LAER that nobody was blowing up from my Meltdown perk. I thought it was only plasma weapons, so I switched, but then while looking something else up I saw it was supposed to work with ALL energy weapons. A quick Google says that fixing this might require using FNVedit. Is that accurate?

It’s a not uncommon change in a lot of rebalance type mods to make meltdown plasma only though.

Because Meltdown is... well, there’s times you want it and times you don’t and if you’re using energy weapons exclusively it’s hard to have a choice.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

It’s a not uncommon change in a lot of rebalance type mods to make meltdown plasma only though.

Because Meltdown is... well, there’s times you want it and times you don’t and if you’re using energy weapons exclusively it’s hard to have a choice.

Oh maybe that's what's going on. Am I using one that does that?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

JSawyer might. There is this line in the original JSawyer's v3 changelog:

quote:

Meltdown now only triggers from plasma weapon kills (anything affected by Plasma Spaz). This was previously an undocumented change (sorry). (This omits the plasma mine.)

I don't see any reference in Ultimate's documentation that it reverts it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
:ms:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Well that'd do it, wouldn't it.

I sold my Q-35 to some vendor but idk who and now I want it back and I don't know where it is, rip

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Well that'd do it, wouldn't it.

I sold my Q-35 to some vendor but idk who and now I want it back and I don't know where it is, rip

Just console it back in, cus good chance the vendors stock reset, so it’s gone 4ever

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Living Desert is really great, my only objection to the mod is the post-LR Tunneler spawns. It's not #content it's just more beasties and angry people.

It's also kinda silly because I assumed Ulysses was lying about all that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
He's not lying, but you beat the tunneler queen in the end so they keep out of your way. And your way is the Mojave

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Latest version of JSUE has an INI switch to change the Varmint Rifle back to 5.56mm ammo. My patch is still needed if you enable that mid-game though, because the switch can't affect leveled lists that are already loaded.

Would still be interested in hearing from rope kid if there's anything else in particular he doesn't like about Ultimate, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

tbh that's what I want pretty often

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Latest version of JSUE has an INI switch to change the Varmint Rifle back to 5.56mm ammo. My patch is still needed if you enable that mid-game though, because the switch can't affect leveled lists that are already loaded.

Would still be interested in hearing from rope kid if there's anything else in particular he doesn't like about Ultimate, though.

Probably everything that isn’t in the original, if I had to guess.

I still find it wild that somebody decided to use his name on their mod.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's been long enough that I feel all right saying that I think it's lovely to 1) continue using my name in another mod and 2) claim it's the "ultimate" version of it when one of the most notable changes, making the varmint rifle pointless, goes against basically everything I tried to do in the base game and everything I continued to try to do in the mod.

I don't understand how you can look at all of the entries in the changelog that try to improve underperforming weapons and armor and conclude that a good change would be to take the only high accuracy, low RoF early game rifle and reduce its damage to the point where it's worthless. I already went through that iteration pass in development and concluded that a higher damage 5.56mm weapon was the way to go. If I saw a significant number of people complaining about the varmint rifle post-launch I would have addressed it, but people generally seem to really like it as-is.

If someone wants to make Coolguy420's Super Mod with my mod as the base, fine, but this isn't that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lot of people here in Texas use 5.56 as varmint rounds. So to me that fit just by the name alone.