Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Levitate posted:

only one way to find out

And that is taking it to hole in the ground as soon as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Shoulda bought the next size up?

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

n8r posted:

Shoulda bought the next size up?

Nope. Either size could work with the right adjustments but I'm happy enough with the current fit

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Personally I'm 6'4 which is not CRAZY tall all things considered and my Canyon Neuron is right with the seatpost slammed. If i was an inch shorter it would have felt too big

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The real question is: dropper extended or dropped for pictures?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Aphex- posted:

The real question is: dropper extended or dropped for pictures?

Drop it like it hot yo.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

If it’s dropped, harder for viewers to tell that the seat post is too high

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

If you're excited about your bike, why try to hide it?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Dropped only aesthetical for big travel bikes imo.
Now time to debate how much that is.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What's a decent recommendation for people that need glasses? I've been wearing an older pair of glasses when I ride for a while but I a. want something more durable, and b. hate the look.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

yoohoo posted:

What's a decent recommendation for people that need glasses? I've been wearing an older pair of glasses when I ride for a while but I a. want something more durable, and b. hate the look.

You can spend like $500 on prescription sports sunglasses or get contacts and non-prescription sunglasses. I've done both. Contacts are way better and they let you use a wider range of sunglass styles. If you go with prescription glasses you will be limited to non-shield style glasses which don't look as cool as the big racey glasses.

You could also just get over the glasses goggles if you really want to. But they get hot in the summer.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If it helps I've crashed loads in my normal glasses and they've never even came off. I got some goggles I wear over them at bikeparks just in case but I don't think you need to worry if you're just riding your mtb.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

yoohoo posted:

I wear Tifosi shades. They do RX ones for $200-300 depending on the style. As a former glasses wearer contacts are the way to go until you get lasik.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Good to know that literally any dropper showing means you have no idea how to purchase a bike.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I tried various heights and all the way up still looks the best but you have to be at the right angle also.

For example, saddle height starting to look a little ridiculous here

But in this one it seems fine

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Them pics! Got drat.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Thanks, that first one was a real good ride.

https://imgur.com/a/clsUgoL

The way background here is the bob marshall wilderness and you can even kind of see a glacier

https://www.strava.com/activities/4152637348

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 12, 2021

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
bike fits fine XL would be too large

chill ride today with my wife and no real testing of how it handles but it definitely pedals fantastic, interested to see how some steeper and technical stuff goes

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
How long is that dropper? Looks like a great opportunity to run a 200mm dropper

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Not a ton of gnarly stuff out here so not sure I’d need it but yeah could be an option

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Took a month but 165mm cranks finally showed up.
Why the gently caress do brands spec 175mm cranks on anything? It's objectively bad for every permutation of consideration.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
165 is the way

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

spwrozek posted:

I wear Tifosi shades. They do RX ones for $200-300 depending on the style. As a former glasses wearer contacts are the way to go until you get lasik.

I guess I should see what (if) my insurance will cover. I only started wearing glasses in the past few years, mostly for driving, but I find they help a ton discerning between poo poo on the ground. I could also not wear them and most likely be fine.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Better pics

Good poo poo

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:gizz:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Put up a slew of hooks to organize the garage today.

From left to right: hers, hers, hers, mine. :smith:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

bicievino posted:

Took a month but 165mm cranks finally showed up.
Why the gently caress do brands spec 175mm cranks on anything? It's objectively bad for every permutation of consideration.

It's good enough for MVDP?

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Put up a slew of hooks to organize the garage today.

Nice Banshee! I just built up a Spitfire V3.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

pinarello dogman posted:

Nice Banshee! I just built up a Spitfire V3.

I look forward to one day building up a V3 something. They're not light but they're drat solid bikes.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I got excited and bought a pair of Chester pedals to go with the bike that’s getting here in a few days. The pins on the pedals are much more horrifying in person than they looked online. Are these things gonna tear my shins open, or do they really keep your feet in place?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Probably both, tbh.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Soon you too will have sweet pinhole scars in your shins

E; flats for lyfe, suck it clippies

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Car Hater posted:

Soon you too will have sweet pinhole scars in your shins

E; flats for lyfe, suck it clippies

Flats on the trail, clips in the street.

Tall socks can sometimes help just a little bit. The best is when you slip a pedal and destroy your calf, I think worse than getting it in the shin.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Baronash posted:

I got excited and bought a pair of Chester pedals to go with the bike that’s getting here in a few days. The pins on the pedals are much more horrifying in person than they looked online. Are these things gonna tear my shins open, or do they really keep your feet in place?

You can back them out a bit, and/or file down the currently sharp edges.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I like trail clips. Once you get used to them, it's pretty easy

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My shins are littered with scars. Consider picking up some plastic soccer shin guards for maximum nerdiness on the trail. I know I have.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Baronash posted:

Hit the hardware store for some spacers and stick them under the screw heads. I ride shimano and they come factory with them, then you can remove spacers if you need more shin burgerizing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
My shins look like they're hosed from pinned flats but they're actually from riding in poison ivy.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I’m definitely gonna have to buy some sort of shin protection for my new bike. I’ve spent too much on leg tattoos to put holes in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Baronash posted:

You get used to the blood and the scars add character. Tall socks help staunch the flow of blood.