Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I thought this was kind of cool -- I don't know if anybody's been following, but some random guy solved an issue with the insanely bad loading times in GTA Online and released a fan patch that brings them down from upwards of 6 minutes to less than 2. Within a few days Rockstar officially implemented the fix, shouted out and thanked him publicly, and most importantly, according to his update on that page, sent him $10,000. I know they have more money than God but that's a pretty sweet little payday for somebody who was just trying to figure out a way to load into GTA Online faster, and I'm so used to people being like permanently banned and receiving legal threats for this kind of poo poo, so that outcome made me smile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've been playing Urtuk a bit, and it's a fun little tactics game. Not as deep as Battle Brothers, but it's clearly inspired by it. Check it out if that's your jam.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kazzah posted:

Nah, voxel-based game. It looks decent in motion.

It's 180x75 screenshot, I seriously can't see anything but what I think is the sun and maybe a tree or two?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's 180x75 screenshot, I seriously can't see anything but what I think is the sun and maybe a tree or two?

It's 3440x1440, you hosed up your internet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
It’s teeny for me but I’m using the mobile app, dunno if that did anything to it. It usually doesn’t.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Serephina posted:

But rivers don't actually scale like that? eg 3 river sides do NOT cause an 8x multiplier. I've been very careful as I check that for thickets, repeatedly. River also plays weird with Mountain Top, might just be hardcoded flat values idk.
You're right, you should be getting 12x for 3 river sides.
And from what I can tell River next to Mountain Peak doesn't affect the entire 'piece', but just the one square it's next to as if it's merely a Mountain tile, so you don't get the same multiplicative growth you would with any other tile, and also because the Mountain tiles by themselves have no effect they don't scale as well as other tiles with the River.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Unreal_One posted:

It's super tiny for me too :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's just three pixels for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Unreal_One posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s teeny for me but I’m using the mobile app, dunno if that did anything to it. It usually doesn’t.

I dunno, ublock and privacy badger aren't doing anything weird, in both the post and if I go to the URL directly, it's tiny as hell.

:shrug:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I clicked on the link and it said how many pixels it is and it's like the other person said: 170*80 or whatever. Maybe you linked to a thumbnail.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

In other weird inconsistencies, I'm now getting the "ALL reviews on a game are marked as off-topic activity and auto-filtered" issue on almost every game I check on the storefront. Somethin' screwy going on.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ugly In The Morning posted:

:same:

I saw it earlier on my laptop and it was full size though, so maybe it is something to do with mobile?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Commander Keene posted:

:same:

I saw it earlier on my laptop and it was full size though, so maybe it is something to do with mobile?
I'm on my desktop PC so that can't be it :iiam:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm on mobile in a browser and it's a timg 3440x1440.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Is this screenshot part of the new store sale ARG?!

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ciaphas posted:

I picked up Teardown again recently, and I'm starting to get the way it wants me to think

After the first few missions, grabbing one of your targets starts a 60 second timer to finish your heist and get away. The targets are spread hither and yon through the maps, so you gotta plan pretty closely and practice what's essentially a speedrun of your own creation

Ooooooor you move the alarm and target all at once wherever you want :v:

Browsing the forums with chrome and it doesn't seem to like timgs of postimg. That shows up as an unclickable tiny image for me. Right-clicking and opening in a new tab does show the full image, though. timgs of imgur images show up normally.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It was normal for me on desktop chrome, but is tiny in the awful app.

Very mysterious!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Ambaire posted:

I was going to suggest Ricochet Lost Worlds / Infinity, but then realized they'd been removed from Steam .. 7 years ago. Shame. They're fun games and really need a modern reboot.

Infinity... appears to be on itch.io for free now??

Edit: AND Lost Worlds. They might just be the demo versions, I haven't checked, but it's interesting to see them here.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 17, 2021

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Just checked and on Awful app it's also 3440x1440 for me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Infinity... appears to be on itch.io for free now??

Edit: AND Lost Worlds. They might just be the demo versions, I haven't checked, but it's interesting to see them here.

HOLY gently caress!!!

Downloaded Infinity, and it seems to be the full version. Perfectly playable on Windows 8.1, too.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Ambaire posted:

HOLY gently caress!!!

Downloaded Infinity, and it seems to be the full version. Perfectly playable on Windows 8.1, too.

Maybe be careful with those, I just opened them up and noticed IGG-GAMES text files inside, I can't say for certain whether the itch account is legit but if it is they grabbed the full versions of their games from a notoriously kinda-shady pirate games site lmao

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what a weird forums/hosting/browser glitch that is. :psyduck: Really is a 3440x1440 image, though!
code:
[timg]https://i.postimg.cc/tRXVsLhV/image.png[/timg]

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

what a weird forums/hosting/browser glitch that is. :psyduck: Really is a 3440x1440 image, though!
code:
[timg]https://i.postimg.cc/tRXVsLhV/image.png[/timg]

I opened this and it was still tiny. I force-refreshed it (and tried an incognito window to be sure) and..while it was actually visible now, it's 1280x536, certainly not the 3440x1440 that you say it is (and I don't doubt you!). Edge shows a much bigger image, probably the actual resolution, but it's a hot blurry mess and not the proper quality.

I'm just gonna say that both Chrome and that website suck big ol butts.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Does this work?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

kirbysuperstar posted:

I opened this and it was still tiny. I force-refreshed it (and tried an incognito window to be sure) and..while it was actually visible now, it's 1280x536, certainly not the 3440x1440 that you say it is (and I don't doubt you!). Edge shows a much bigger image, probably the actual resolution, but it's a hot blurry mess and not the proper quality.

that is staggeringly weird. Well, back to imgur I guess

I wish I could make the voting and other social media aspects go the gently caress away though, that's why I stopped using it in the first place

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The United States posted:

Does this work?

Sure does!

Ciaphas posted:

that is staggeringly weird. Well, back to imgur I guess

I wish I could make the voting and other social media aspects go the gently caress away though, that's why I stopped using it in the first place

Yeah I dunno what the gently caress. I feel your pain with that too. Half the time I end up using discord as a shitpost host because I probably sent whatever I'm uploading to a friend as well :v:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

goferchan posted:

I thought this was kind of cool -- I don't know if anybody's been following, but some random guy solved an issue with the insanely bad loading times in GTA Online and released a fan patch that brings them down from upwards of 6 minutes to less than 2. Within a few days Rockstar officially implemented the fix, shouted out and thanked him publicly, and most importantly, according to his update on that page, sent him $10,000. I know they have more money than God but that's a pretty sweet little payday for somebody who was just trying to figure out a way to load into GTA Online faster, and I'm so used to people being like permanently banned and receiving legal threats for this kind of poo poo, so that outcome made me smile

For a port of game that is nearly approaching its seventh birthday it does not make the dev look good. Especially one that is so heavily monetized.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been playing Urtuk a bit, and it's a fun little tactics game. Not as deep as Battle Brothers, but it's clearly inspired by it. Check it out if that's your jam.

Yeah, Urtuk is really good. It's a game that looks simple but I've found the mutation system surprisingly deep. You can make a lot of cool builds.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

kirbysuperstar posted:

It happening to me on Opera as well

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Walh Hara posted:

Yeah, Urtuk is really good. It's a game that looks simple but I've found the mutation system surprisingly deep. You can make a lot of cool builds.

Going to third the recommendation for Urtuk. It is a really cool tactics game and I love the art style.

beats for junkies posted:

Cool bird.

Strix pointed out Mainframe Defenders last week when it was on sale, and I got it and I'm enjoying it in short bursts. The item/weapon synergies are fun to play around with. I'm only at tier 2, but my team has some cool gear. Mechanic passively heals everything around it and can actively heal as an action. Synapse does bonus damage if it has moves left and an item that gives it an extra move action. Brigandine has an extra shot per burst, and every shot does armor damage (so -4 armor every burst). Viper does a bunch of Corrosion damage each hit - it's not quite enough to one-shot an enemy with corrosion stacks yet, but that's the goal.

It's also got some neat little visual filters (VHS, CRT monitor, and a couple others) and 2 font options. The core gameplay is pretty familiar and basic - you get a move action and 2 action points (both can be improved with gear/upgrades), and can take them in any order (like shooting with 1 ap, moving, then shooting again). Missions are chosen from a list of about 10 at a time, and seem pretty basic so far (destroy specific items, kill x enemies, survive for x rounds), and once you complete the main objective for a mission, you have to clean up any remaining enemies. You can see what rewards you'll get before choosing a mission. The rogue-lite part comes in if you abandon your run (or win, probably) - you get a bunch of extra Matter (upgrade material/currency) for your next team to use. There might be more to it, but like I said, I'm only on tier 2 (not even sure how many tiers there are).

Yeah, I also picked it up and I've enjoyed it so far, similar impressions to yours, but I've only scratched the surface. Do intend to play more of it in the coming weeks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goferchan posted:

Thanks for posting this. I was curious what was going to happen to the dude and the patch when I heard about it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

goferchan posted:

Eh, 10k is nothing for a firm of that size, there's a reason why the big tech firms love bug/vulnerability bounty hunters.

Better than the C&D they usually send to the GTA modders at least.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Serephina posted:

But rivers don't actually scale like that? eg 3 river sides do NOT cause an 8x multiplier. I've been very careful as I check that for thickets, repeatedly. River also plays weird with Mountain Top, might just be hardcoded flat values idk.

It definitely does. Look at the attack speed of the screen shot. You're not getting to 345% from 2x2% thickets.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

For a port of game that is nearly approaching its seventh birthday it does not make the dev look good. Especially one that is so heavily monetized.

The funny thing about it is that the long loading times were actually caused by that heavy monetization.
The game was so slow to load because it had to parse the list of all available items, and the devs implemented in a way that got exponentially slower the more items there are.
Technical details: https://nee.lv/2021/02/28/How-I-cut-GTA-Online-loading-times-by-70/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pathfinder Kingmaker

Solid, overall outstanding game with some major caveats that 'playing it wrong' will work you into a unavoidable failure state 30-40 hours in. When the game is good, it's the best of anything in the genre, but when it gets bad it defies belief that something like that could've been designed and rolled out by a team of cognizant human beings. Thankfully, those pits of failure are few and far between, and the Bag of Tricks mod is the easy solution to fix any "unsolvable" problems. It's still very much a game that expects you to dig into the mechanics and constantly build synergies and min-max skills and stats.

On normal mode, following some typical min-max builds will result in you steam rolling the game about 1/3 of the way in, only have to really put your mind to work on strategy and tactics when facing the story based high level bosses. I got pretty deep into the game system and by now have a good idea of what does and doesn't work, but starting from scratch trying to be creative and make interesting ideas work is more likely to build a character that is functionally worthless past the early levels unless you plan out all levels 1-20.

The whole kingdom management mode is basically time crunch simulator the game where you're supposed to balance roaming the lands exploring new maps and solving quests with having to return to the capital to solve problems, meet with advisors, decide sweeping policy decisions etc. Playing it any higher then easy is not really fun or good in anyway, because the point of everything is "number go up" and trying to keep pace with the rising difficulty as the story progresses. It's the biggest possible source of ending up with an unwinnable game state if you reach a point your advisors are to low level to complete tasks, but they need to complete tasks to level up, so without cheating you'd be hosed.

Even with all the complaints it's still a great DnD style game experience where the focus is on your adventure and your kingdom without drawing you in to endless world shattering conspiracies. Pathfinder is its own lore system but rather then explaining everything to you it presents it like you would be familiar with it, and has the mouse-over feature where bolded words will bring up an info box explaining what it is. I really liked Pillars of Eternity, but the biggest problem with that game was that every 5 minutes it felt like I had to read another chapter of a fantasy novel that was part story and part encyclopedia.

If you played Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and loved them, this is the closet anything has ever come to recreating that feeling for me. Same sense of good and bad; frustrating low level die to a bad roll combat, then slowly growing into an epic party that will crush anything in your way from dragons, liches, and those goddamn wererats you can accidentally find in the early areas that wreck your poo poo.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 17, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/1372219768166608896?s=21

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Uriel Septim

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

without morrowind I'd die

Cowcaster