Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

STR posted:

Looks pretty easy as far as Samsung stuff goes, but you're still using a fairly old tablet. You'd be best off installing a 3rd party ROM (such as Lineage) to really get rid of the bloat.

Hit up XDA Developers, their forums are a good resource. Type the model # into the search bar and you should get model-specific stuff.
Thanks! I know nothing about that kind of thing - I'll check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

In about a year I'm going to have to make the decision whether to get a degree, or go straight into the blue collar work force. I'm stil not sure which I should do.

Won't you get some GI bill money? I think if you can go into a skilled trade that's one thing. If you can't, that's another. What, generally, do you want to do? Have you considered getting treatment for ADHD prior to making this decision? UW is certainly a good school and is still GI bill-cheap for in state.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

After my F-150 got totaled I put in a reservation for a new Bronco (in early October). Yesterday I get an email saying "place your order now" and "To secure your estimated delivery window in May your order must be finalized by March 19th."

Which I initially interpreted as the vehicle would actually be built in May but that was crazy, it actually just means I'll get the estimated delivery window IN May, not that the estimated delivery window will BE May. And the estimated delivery window would most likely be extremely late 2021 or early 2022.

But I log into my Ford.com account and see that the dealer already converted my reservation into an order three weeks ago without ever contacting me. Which apparently happened quite a bit and Ford had to step in and say quit loving doing that to their dealers.

I'm actually wondering if this might be to my advantage since I can wait until May, see when the estimated build date will be, and if I don't like it I can just call Ford corporate and say "I never agreed to this, cancel it and give me my deposit back" whereas if I'd actually agreed to an order with the dealership I wouldn't be able to get my deposit back unless they agreed to it which they probably wouldn't.

But I'll probably call Ford and have them convert it back to a reservation at a different dealership so as not to reward these people for being shady assholes.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

As a heads up (you may already know this) but they batch optimize the production. So the color/trim/options you pick can heavily influence where in the production schedule you fall.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Goober Peas posted:

As a heads up (you may already know this) but they batch optimize the production. So the color/trim/options you pick can heavily influence where in the production schedule you fall.

Sounds like you'd better tick every box and order in bright orange as I hear that's the most popular right now.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Since we were talking bikes earlier. Put together a bike for a friend of mine so she can keep up with us on our goofy riding adventures. I'm pretty pleased with the pedal to handlebar transition.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I never herniated anything but I feel this stupid loving video in my back every time I sleep wrong, or sneeze wrong, or sit wrong, or lean over wrong, or crack 5 joints in my back by bending slightly to the right and kind of flaring my ribs out.

God I was a dumbass for bragging rights, why does my back hate me so much I don't understand
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b34Mw9b7MA

Same same same. I used to He-Man a 350# vibracoring head from floor level to truck bed by myself. I also got between a boat and a dock to save a transducer in '05. So. loving. Dumb. I'm in transitional pain for the rest of my life.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
when ai back pain conversation becomes a bit too real:

well, I was holding the baby a few days ago, sneezed and felt a huge pain in my back, almost dropped the baby and have been unable to move properly since. Went to a family friend physical therapist practice, xrays the whole bit - slipped a disc - Started PT today and feel a bit better and can move around a bit better but still in a big amount of pain when I move wrong. I guess those years of driving slammed out cars, mountain biking and slouching caught up with me - I need to drop some weight pretty quick and get back in to fighting shape. No roadster driving, bicycling or anything that puts undue stress on my back until this gets a bit better. I never thought a sneeze could be this painful.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 16, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oof. I tore a muscle doing a very mild pushup - like, lifting my torso, not actually doing a pushup with my kid on my back when she was ~18 months.

I feel your pain.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Man I got lucky with pain, the only occasional problem I have is what I think is tennis elbow that all started with throwing a football like 10 years ago and I've had it a few times since. Sciatica every once in a while and a little carpal tunnel in my right wrist but no huge back problems like you guys describe. I lift a bunch of stuff for work but I won't mess around with anything over like 50lbs, I'll use a tractor or some kind of tool. If I mess up my back I mess up my work really bad so I have to be careful. The best thing I ever did was lose 50lbs after a poo poo time in my life. Sadly I've gained like 30 back since every day sucks right now and I eat way too much sugar though I'm going to concentrate on eating better when I start work in a week or two and lose the weight again. I makes work so much easier not carrying around that extra 30lbs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Goober Peas posted:

Yeah, It'd probably be roughly correct though since their order was restrained partially by my reservation to being a 2 door Badlands trim. Color and options could change it a bit but since it's probably like the 100,000th reservation or something it probably isn't likely to change enough to make much of a difference to me.

This whole "reserve online and then months later deal with random idiot at dealership" is a bigger turnoff than I expected. What I probably really want to do is put the order in and then have it put on priority 99 so it's held until the manual Sasquatch packages are available late this year and then I'll have a relatively early spot for one of those, but I don't trust the guy I'm now talking to at the dealership to do this properly or at all.

I may just cancel the reservation and wait a year and buy a 2022 Raptor off eBay with an ADM.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

~26 hours after first Moderna shot, arm hurts but headache is mostly gone. Didn't sleep for poo poo last night and during an earlier nap, mostly due to arm pain if I move. Have more range of motion now so the arm isn't completely useless.

So turns out covid vaccine plus dehydration plus staph infection is a rough combo. Finally went to ER Sunday when I woke up at 103.7F and barely slept at all the previous two nights. Get to transition work from home to work from hospital for two weeks of iv meds which should knock it out completely. Big pain in the rear end but what's another extended stay and hitting max out of pocket by the end of March? Hospital is only ten minutes from the house so it's east for the wife to visit and if we get some nice weather she can bring a mutt or two over and I can meet them outside. Not sleeping for crap because hospital plus high dosage steroids means lots of gaming too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just got a text from the VA, I get my covid vaccine on Monday wow. Way earlier than I thought I'd be able to get it but I'm not gonna complain.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NitroSpazzz posted:

So turns out covid vaccine plus dehydration plus staph infection is a rough combo. Finally went to ER Sunday when I woke up at 103.7F and barely slept at all the previous two nights. Get to transition work from home to work from hospital for two weeks of iv meds which should knock it out completely. Big pain in the rear end but what's another extended stay and hitting max out of pocket by the end of March? Hospital is only ten minutes from the house so it's east for the wife to visit and if we get some nice weather she can bring a mutt or two over and I can meet them outside. Not sleeping for crap because hospital plus high dosage steroids means lots of gaming too.

I whacked my deductible out of the park with my express trip down the stairs last month, and that also put me halfway to my out of pocket. :sigh:

Good luck with the rehydrating. I'm still running a fever off and on, SO has been running a fever for a few days (no other symptoms for her, I've had a nagging cough), starting to wonder if maybe spending 3 hours in a flying tin can may have indeed infected me despite being half vaccinated. Getting tested (again) tomorrow. We've both been right at the 100ish mark (I peaked at 102 a couple of days after my 2nd shot).

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Just got a text from the VA, I get my covid vaccine on Monday wow. Way earlier than I thought I'd be able to get it but I'm not gonna complain.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

STR posted:

Good luck with the rehydrating.

Five bags of saline back to back Sunday got me nearly caught up, didn't have to pee until 4.5 bags in. They've been running them around the clock since then as well at slower rates. Nearly rehydrated but puffed up from all the fluid and salts. PICC line that's been in 16 months is coming out in the next 5-10 minutes. One IV line in place, one more to go.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah, It'd probably be roughly correct though since their order was restrained partially by my reservation to being a 2 door Badlands trim. Color and options could change it a bit but since it's probably like the 100,000th reservation or something it probably isn't likely to change enough to make much of a difference to me.

This whole "reserve online and then months later deal with random idiot at dealership" is a bigger turnoff than I expected. What I probably really want to do is put the order in and then have it put on priority 99 so it's held until the manual Sasquatch packages are available late this year and then I'll have a relatively early spot for one of those, but I don't trust the guy I'm now talking to at the dealership to do this properly or at all.

I may just cancel the reservation and wait a year and buy a 2022 Raptor off eBay with an ADM.

I just canceled my reservation a couple of days ago for this exact reason. It was a massive wait with no real communication or information and then all of a sudden the dealership calls me twice in the same day to get me to make the order. I also didn’t really think I was going to like it $25k more than my current Civic Si for daily duty, and I was going to be way too nervous to use it off-road like I use my K1500 Blazer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

builds character posted:

Won't you get some GI bill money? I think if you can go into a skilled trade that's one thing. If you can't, that's another. What, generally, do you want to do? Have you considered getting treatment for ADHD prior to making this decision? UW is certainly a good school and is still GI bill-cheap for in state.

Yeah, I'll be eligible for the GI bill, UW would be the school to go to, since it's a solid engineering school, and the stipend for attending a school with a Seattle zip code would easily cover my mortgage.

Fortunately I'm qualified for some pretty awesome skilled jobs, I have a few leads for stuff like medical imaging maintenance and datacenter maintenance that pay pretty well.

The job I really want is quality assurance on rocket engines, I'm well qualified for it, and one of the giring managers is a close friend. If I can get a Fri-Sunday shift I could pull in a decent salary and go to school.

The various online degree farms are an option too, but it seems like a BS from one of those and a quarter gets you a bus ticket and not much else.

The real question for me is will I be satisfied working on stuff forever, or do I want to get to design stuff?

For the ADHD part, I've developed pretty good study habits over the last 11 years, but if I find myself getting bored I'm definitely gonna look into treatment options. I'm pretty sure I would've blown my shot at college at 18, had I taken it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
please dont get a degree on the internet from a degree mill

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got some not terribly great news at work yesterday.

Since last April I have been working as a secondment to the Linux server team at my workplace (it is huge enough to have its own teams for specific things, be it Windows servers, virtualisation, networks, etc). I have really enjoyed my time in the Linux team, it has stretched my IT learning to its limits. It has the side effect of improving my mental health, which was suffering under my old team due to doing the same thing day in day out, as well as bad memories related to that team, with some co-workers as well as dealing with personal stuff like my dad's health and eventual death.

I went to visit my old team yesterday, as I am technically still under them. The boss and team leader of that team told me that the director that covers the Linux team says there's no budget for me to stay in the Linux team, even though the work is there. The old team are under the pump and overloaded with work due to people coming back to the offices after Covid work at home last year, as well as losing some staff during the meantime (some self inflicted). The old manager and team leader as well as the director of the old area are still pushing for me to stay in the Linux team, so at least they can then backfill my spot in the old team.

Needless to say this took the wind well out of my sails, as I was hoping I was going to stay in the Linux team, and get a healthy boost to my yearly wage. God only knows what my mental health will be if I am made to move back.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

You Am I posted:

Needless to say this took the wind well out of my sails, as I was hoping I was going to stay in the Linux team, and get a healthy boost to my yearly wage. God only knows what my mental health will be if I am made to move back.

Ah man that sucks.

Take your newfound skills and run. The economy for linux-heads is doing well at the moment.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meltie posted:

Ah man that sucks.

Take your newfound skills and run. The economy for linux-heads is doing well at the moment.

Yep. All you really can do here. Have a gently caress Off Fund and always keep irons in the fire. The notion of lifelong careers or job stability is a thing of the past.

new cooling pump arrived so that I don't need to trust a local parts store generic with my house, spouse, or my life.

:nms:
(GMB housing with a flowkooler impeller)

Its legit too nice for the engine it'll get bolted to.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

please dont get a degree on the internet from a degree mill
I know he said degree "farm" specifically, but a lot of totally legit, accredited institutions offer online based degrees now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

You Am I posted:

Got some not terribly great news at work yesterday.

Since last April I have been working as a secondment to the Linux server team at my workplace (it is huge enough to have its own teams for specific things, be it Windows servers, virtualisation, networks, etc). I have really enjoyed my time in the Linux team, it has stretched my IT learning to its limits. It has the side effect of improving my mental health, which was suffering under my old team due to doing the same thing day in day out, as well as bad memories related to that team, with some co-workers as well as dealing with personal stuff like my dad's health and eventual death.

I went to visit my old team yesterday, as I am technically still under them. The boss and team leader of that team told me that the director that covers the Linux team says there's no budget for me to stay in the Linux team, even though the work is there. The old team are under the pump and overloaded with work due to people coming back to the offices after Covid work at home last year, as well as losing some staff during the meantime (some self inflicted). The old manager and team leader as well as the director of the old area are still pushing for me to stay in the Linux team, so at least they can then backfill my spot in the old team.

This sucks, I'm sorry. Time to update your resume and linkedin.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

Yep. All you really can do here. Have a gently caress Off Fund and always keep irons in the fire. The notion of lifelong careers or job stability is a thing of the past.

new cooling pump arrived so that I don't need to trust a local parts store generic with my house, spouse, or my life.

:nms:
(GMB housing with a flowkooler impeller)

Its legit too nice for the engine it'll get bolted to.

That's a hell of a water pump, I work with a lot of pumps, and the stamped sheetmetal "impellars" in a lot of water pumps bug me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

That's a hell of a water pump, I work with a lot of pumps, and the stamped sheetmetal "impellars" in a lot of water pumps bug me.

Look at you with your fancy metal. Plastic is where it's at... especially if it runs the timing belt too, so when it fails, it takes out the engine in one revolution!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FRP has amazing mechanical properties.

What do you mean, "degradation?"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Look at you with your fancy metal. Plastic is where it's at... especially if it runs the timing belt too, so when it fails, it takes out the engine in one revolution!

no no, you want it on the timing chain that way when it fails it fills the crankcase with water. Looking at you, GM.

re: stamped metal? yup. fell the hell apart when i removed it from the block.

the generic one on it is more of that without the failure bit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Elviscat posted:

FRP has amazing mechanical properties.

What do you mean, "degradation?"

Tell that to my 7 year old FRP-clad windows which are all cracking and failing. Integrity by Marvin, anything they're going to "repair them in place"... Let's see what that means before I get my lawyer involved.

The pump in my Mk4 Jetta was frp, and failed at 65k miles. Thankfully, it didn't shred the belt.

And yeah, timing chain would have been worse.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Hell yes, $1 Wing Wednesdays at my local Mexican place.

Happy Hump Day motherfucklers :v:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Man, gently caress cancer.

https://twitter.com/nuerburgring/status/1372095748515434503

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh goody i get to figure out why my mr2 is overheating

if it's the head gasket i'm gonna cry

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

gently caress. She was a gem.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I just canceled my reservation a couple of days ago for this exact reason. It was a massive wait with no real communication or information and then all of a sudden the dealership calls me twice in the same day to get me to make the order. I also didn’t really think I was going to like it $25k more than my current Civic Si for daily duty, and I was going to be way too nervous to use it off-road like I use my K1500 Blazer.

I'd use the poo poo out of it offroad but there just isn't much purpose to locking myself into an order at this point I don't think. This isn't a Raptor, they're going to be pumping these things out as fast as they can. People that got early reservations and are going to get a Bronco this year it makes sense but with mine I don't think there's going to be much difference in time frame using my reservation vs just waiting until it's in regular stock and either buying off the lot or ordering one and getting it in 2 months or whatever.

Plus the Sasquatch package not being available with the 7 speed this year.

Plus it doesn't currently qualify for X plan pricing (which I qualify for via stock ownership) but I bet it will next year.

Gonna call em today and cancel I think.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Dammit.

In rememberance her going bonkers with the Van

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc&t=32s

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Humphreys posted:

Dammit.

I love that segment. She made the Top Gear failure worth watching after the boys left. No one talked about why she didn't come back after Chris Evans got the boot, but I'd bet it was the cancer.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

cursedshitbox posted:

"We want someone with 10 years experience in field and will work for us for minimum wage for the rest of their life in an entry-level position because loyalty."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

"We want someone with 10 years experience in field and will work for us for minimum wage for the rest of their life in an entry-level position because loyalty."

I was convinced I'd never be anything more than this. 13 years at the retail job for bullshit money but I stayed because they were my family . Then they threw me away like trash. God was I stupid.

But on the bright side, I've talked enough poo poo about them and their store that they can't seem to keep any staff longer than 6 months now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Humphreys posted:

Dammit.

That was my introduction to her.
drat.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Man, gently caress cancer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Nice deposit from the IRS hit the bank today.

*sighs and writes check to IRS for back taxes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

STR posted:

Nice deposit from the IRS hit the bank today.

Now you can retire!