Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I personally just set it out on the curb and scream for thirty seconds, then take it back in.

Is that what we’re doing now to show our appreciation for nurses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

xtal posted:

That's bait

this was my first thought but there have been some real special posters over the years....

Steve Yun posted:

Is that what we’re doing now to show our appreciation for nurses

7:30pm, every night

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Any good recs for wooden cutting boards? My current plastic one just isn't up to the task. Budget of ~200 but would like to keep costs down if possible.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Any good recs for wooden cutting boards? My current plastic one just isn't up to the task. Budget of ~200 but would like to keep costs down if possible.

i have a big chunk of maple made by Boos that cost less than $200, no complaints about it whatsoever

not sure about potentially cheaper off-brand products though, since i'm sure the brand name costs more

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if you’re spending $200 go find a local artisan. i never had a problem with ikea though tbqh

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's also an absolute shitload of people making cutting boards on etsy, i'm sure you could support a much smaller business that way as well if there's nothing good locally

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a Michigan maple that's done me well. Aldi cheap ones otherwise.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You probably want end grain for that price point but the material could differ depending on preference. I think cherry, walnut and mahogany are the big ones, in order of increasing hardness.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My only rec is go big as you can afford. When we upgraded to 24" wide it changed our lives in the kitchen!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CMRQUW it's annoying to clean but so worth it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also if you make much bread, i really like my board with a raised back side and an L-shaped lip on the front, which holds it in place while you push it forward when you're kneading

edit: like this but without the grooves, gently caress grooves

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 17, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ideally you want your board to be symmetrical (get rid of the rubber skates, even) so you can flip it and degrade both sides equally

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also i like the wood pulp and glue cutting boards. toss em right in the dishwasher

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think there's a guy in SA Mart making cutting boards, but I've always preferred the dishwasher safe ones, since they otherwise aren't any better or worse than spending $200 on a wood one you have to clean yourself. I don't see the point.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

IMO keep your old lovely plastic cutting boards to use for craft poo poo when you need something hard but not as hard as whatever material you're working with. I use old cutting boards a lot with leatherworking (something I can put leather on and punch holes in or cut onto etc) but they'd also be good in a clamping situation where you don't want to mar the piece with the jaws of a vice or locking pliers etc.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Isn't rubber the material of choice if you want heavy duty and easy maintenance?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I don’t think I’ll ever regularly use a wooden cutting board again. I’ve noticed no difference in my knives using poly boards for the last few years exclusively, and they can go in the dishwasher which is sanitizing enough for me that I don’t really distinguish cutting boards for raw meat vs ready to eat stuff, just make sure to be sanitary during each cooking session with whichever board(s) I use. Oh yeah, I also have like 6 at any given time of several different sizes so I can hot swap to a clean one as necessary. Just need to stick a wet paper towel on the countertop underneath the board to keep it from shifting.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I use a sani-tuff board. I also have a big wooden one and it's too annoying to use. If I had a bigger kitchen maybe I'd set it up more idk.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Wooden cutting boards are for kitchen decoration and as serving boards. Fight me.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

My only rec is go big as you can afford. When we upgraded to 24" wide it changed our lives in the kitchen!

I went 37" x 144" on this cutting board we installed in our kitchen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

marry me

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is that a water bottle filling station in the wall? That's badass.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

drat that's a lot of board

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

Couldn’t find anywhere to store the stepladder, though?

Just kidding, pretty sure I’d leave my entire life behind for that kitchen, ladder and all

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
One trick I’ve been doing lately on my plastic cutting boards is when knife marks cut grooves that I can feel (as in plastic material rises up out of the board), I shave them using a razor blade almost-but-not-quite flat against the board.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
Ultra Carp

Chemmy posted:

Jesus, how many burners you got on that thing?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The butcher block counter wasn't any more expensive than crummy quartz (at least out here). Difference of a couple hundred bucks maybe. We rented a house with an edge grain counter and I liked that it felt warm to the touch when you sat at the island. I went end grain so I can use it a little more seriously and because the price wasn't huge. I'm in California where labor costs are super high, so saving a couple thousand here and there doesn't make a giant dent in the project cost.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is that a water bottle filling station in the wall? That's badass.

I feel like the thing that always breaks on fridges isn't the refrigeration part, it's the water and ice dispenser, so I ordered the fridge no water dispenser and ice drawer instead of the big chute contraption. Then I put the water thing in the wall. It has a chiller so it comes out at like 45 degrees, it's really nice.

Lawnie posted:

Couldn’t find anywhere to store the stepladder, though?

Just kidding, pretty sure I’d leave my entire life behind for that kitchen, ladder and all

Still under construction at the time.

Vim Fuego posted:

Jesus, how many burners you got on that thing?

It's a Wolf GR-488. Eight full size burners, full size oven and the little mini oven on the left. They don't do dual fuel ranges with eight burners and I didn't want a griddle or a grill inside. No electronics really, no clock, no circuit boards, I wanted appliances that are going to last.

My wife is celiac so when I cook I end up running parallel tasks. I don't want to eat gluten free pasta, so on pasta night we've got two pasta pots going and it's too crowded to do two pasta pots and sauce and maybe a side veg on a normal range, so we went big.

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 17, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cmon, get to the part where you explain you removed some extremely crucial load-bearing wall segment to put in the water dispenser or something

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Martman posted:

Cmon, get to the part where you explain you removed some extremely crucial load-bearing wall segment to put in the water dispenser or something

Through the middle of that room about where the water dispenser is was a load bearing wall. I hired an engineer and we put in a huge beam. It required tearing out that wall that the water is on to build the supports for said beam and also reinforcing that little wall from below in the basement with a beam that I hit my head on once a week.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Love the side by side freezer/fridge. We went with that, even without the wall space to actually have them side by side.

Is that button by the sink for a disposal?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GD_American posted:

Love the side by side freezer/fridge. We went with that, even without the wall space to actually have them side by side.

Is that button by the sink for a disposal?

Yeah it's an air gap switch. Apparently people worry about using an electrical switch with wet hands. It was never an issue previously but that's what the plumbing place recommended.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do you find yourself using the left oven for? Do you have adorable little sheet pans for it?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

What do you find yourself using the left oven for? Do you have adorable little sheet pans for it?

FWIW everyone should have adorable little 1/8th sheet pans. By far the most useful size of sheet pan for a home cook, I have like 6.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lawnie posted:

FWIW everyone should have adorable little 1/8th sheet pans. By far the most useful size of sheet pan for a home cook, I have like 6.

Oh, would those fit? I have a handful, use them all the time!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Oh, would those fit? I have a handful, use them all the time!

idk if they fit in a mini-oven, but it fits like a glove in my Breville toaster oven, and it's a perfect size for arranging mise or storing stuff in the fridge.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
here to say that these are my favorite cutting boards - here

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

It’s not that small. Reheating leftovers, you could probably roast a small chicken in there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
My sister has a side by side oven and she uses it for reheating or warming. It’s big enough for multiple casseroles to be stacked vertically

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just measured it. It’s 12x16 and full height. I use it more than the big oven.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that kitchen whips rear end drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It took 2.5 years of fighting the city for permits and drat near bankrupted me but I got the kitchen I wanted.