Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: BAGS FLY AT NOON)
Are you a rad suburban dad
No im a city slicker
yes i am a rad suburban dad
goku
Derpies Tuglord
View Results

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

poisonpill posted:

You get the sous vide as attendant to the grill but I’m afraid the instant pot and stove tops are hers. Sorry buddy but I don’t make the rules.

Can't wait to eat some more of this then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You eat the whole thing and then pop off to the hardware store (with a stop for a quick burger along the way)

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

poisonpill posted:

You eat the whole thing and then pop off to the hardware store (with a stop for a quick burger along the way)

:hmmyes:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Derpies posted:

Can't wait to eat some more of this then

Single heaping spoonful of gruel, and no more.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Tuesday night is ok for rad dads to have a beer, two days done, but really more like half because friday doesn’t count.

On a more serious note I have a dryer repair guy coming Thursday, because using the laundromat is not rad.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Tnuctip posted:

Tuesday night is ok for rad dads to have a beer, two days done, but really more like half because friday doesn’t count.

On a more serious note I have a dryer repair guy coming Thursday, because using the laundromat is not rad.

Have you tried kicking the dryer? Worked on my old one for about 18 months.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

poisonpill posted:

This is the correct answer but you can also try painting a wall to look like the kitchen and while she’s in there you can cook dinner in the real kitchen.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Derpies posted:

Have you tried kicking the dryer? Worked on my old one for about 18 months.

Sadly I’ve tried the ol’ “technical tap”. It still blows air, and therefore dries clothes just.... slowly. But the wife thinks 4 hours is not an acceptable cycle time for a dryer.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tnuctip posted:

Sadly I’ve tried the ol’ “technical tap”. It still blows air, and therefore dries clothes just.... slowly. But the wife thinks 4 hours is not an acceptable cycle time for a dryer.

Did you clean out the vent hose?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

People may clean out the lint trap but usually forget about that. My neighbor at my old house had a mass of lint peeking out the exhaust vent hood on the side of their house. I imagine there was probably a ton of lint all the way up to the dryer just waiting to start a fire.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Last year our dryer was drying poorly and smelled like burning so I pulled it out to check the vent hose and it was almost completely blocked by mouse poo poo and nest material. The little bastards had come in through the outside vent and made themselves at home. I think the only reason it hadn’t caught fire was because they had chewed through the foil on the hose so I guess they could leave when it got too hot, but at least some air was getting out. Anyway it required a trip to Lowe’s and a ruining of my evening but it was still cheaper than a new dryer or having someone come out, or you know, my house burning down.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Check the drier vent every Saturday, after you blow off the driveway with the air compressor.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tnuctip posted:

I replaced the element on mine and got it heating again, but it was a $50 gamble vs a $200+ sure thing

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
If you pay to get it repaired, or get a new one, it's a wonderful opportunity to complain to your family about how much it costed you

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I checked the air flow on the outside and it’s throwing out air like crazy. Suburban dad tip: be careful checking dryer hoods outside because some wasps made a nest in mine last year!

It’s probably either the thermostat or heating element, but I lost my dadly multimeter cables so I can’t check myself. Good excuse to order more tools though!

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

FYI: Samsung appliances are pig poo poo, they make good phones but a two year old dryer had two heating elements go out within a year of each other.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tnuctip posted:

I checked the air flow on the outside and it’s throwing out air like crazy. Suburban dad tip: be careful checking dryer hoods outside because some wasps made a nest in mine last year!

It’s probably either the thermostat or heating element, but I lost my dadly multimeter cables so I can’t check myself. Good excuse to order more tools though!

After the mouse incident I put exterior vent covers on all of the outside vents. So far have worked as intended.

youre dick
Jan 29, 2019

Derpies posted:

Any other cooking suburban dad's here? My wife no cook good is trying to elbow her way back into the kitchen but that is Dad's Domain (and I don't like eating mystery surprise). How do I handle this problem in the most suburban dad way possible?

I’ve found that barely suppressing disappointment at her cooking while jumping at the chance to cook worked after like 15 years

After 25 years we are at a decent equilibrium. I made a remarkable beef and Guinness stew tonight and she made good mashed potatoes. Along with some lovely light IPA with green food coloring and dumb Irish hats for the kids, I figure that’s more or less as good as it gets

Sorry what were we talking about again

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Found some candy corn that expired last July. They're a little chewy but still taste good.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 18, 2021

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Couch cushion raisins are the best raisins.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Looking to get a nice hammock, saw a self contained one at Costco last time we went but balked because even folded up it just seemed too bulky. My in laws have the perfect spot for one, under a leafy gazebo in their back yard but our own yard doesn't seem to have many good anchor points in comparison. It's funny, we gifted them two hammocks we got on a Mexico trip years ago and I inevitably got more use out of it than my father in law.

Looking forward to grilling season, every time I cook I get a little bit better at it. My in laws, not being BBQ snobs are quite impressed which is a huge compliment considering they are good cooks themselves.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Khaki Life, even on Sundays (I know it’s Thursday!)!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey when did sauerkraut start tasting this good?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Professor Shark posted:

Hey when did sauerkraut start tasting this good?

You can easily make your own.

Shred 16oz of cabbage and add 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Kneed it in a bowl, like you're making bread, and work the salt into the cabbage for about 5-10 minutes. You'll see some liquid in the bottom of the bowl which is a good sign. Put all that in a mason jar and tamp it down. Put the lid on and store in a dark cool place for a week.

I put mine on sandwiches to give is a nice crunch.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Same with sandwiches, man. My dad makes his own in large ceramic jars. I don't think I’m there yet, though, and will just buy $2 PC Brand wine sauerkraut until I inherit them

Edit: I’m posting at the mall while I wait for my partner and niece to finish up in Hollister, feels Suburban Dadish tbh

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

Same with sandwiches, man. My dad makes his own in large ceramic jars. I don't think I’m there yet, though, and will just buy $2 PC Brand wine sauerkraut until I inherit them

Edit: I’m posting at the mall while I wait for my partner and niece to finish up in Hollister, feels Suburban Dadish tbh

:suspense:

Please keep us informed with updates, this is peak suburban dad people watching time. How are the other suburban dads in the mall acting?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

neato burrito posted:

FYI: Samsung appliances are pig poo poo, they make good phones but a two year old dryer had two heating elements go out within a year of each other.

Stick with Bosch or Miele.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Derpies posted:

:suspense:

Please keep us informed with updates, this is peak suburban dad people watching time. How are the other suburban dads in the mall acting?

One guy was waiting outside the Bath & Bodyworks on his phone like me, then his wife came out and told him she was going to another store I think, so he just stayed in the same spot outside B&BW

Another guy was there with his son and looked like he felt he should be doing something. They were gone when I got back from Roots to look at and critique their leather wears

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

One guy was waiting outside the Bath & Bodyworks on his phone like me, then his wife came out and told him she was going to another store I think, so he just stayed in the same spot outside B&BW

Another guy was there with his son and looked like he felt he should be doing something. They were gone when I got back from Roots to look at and critique their leather wears

TY4YS (thank you for your service)

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
y'all I'm thinking about getting a nice fancy Real Boy™ bass

should I go for the Fender PJ? seems like a P with a bunch of extra tonal utility, but what the gently caress do I know

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What’s the best Dad Acoustic

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
$139 for something you’re gonna noodle with for 3 weeks and then never touch again is the perfect dad bargain.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Real suburban (52) dad story here:

My best friend has been learning guitar for the past few years and wants to put a dad-band together and actually play gigs. He got put in a "school of rock" with some other dads at the music store where he takes lessons.

He has been begging me to play bass (LOL) in the band. I am a firm no. Reason #1: I played in bands when I was supposed to: my teens & 20s, been there, done that. Reason #2: they are going for ultimate stereotypical dad band...all the SAME lovely SONGS that every dad band plays. I have no idea where they could even get a gig playing that...never mind that they are prob not very good.

My counter offer is that I would play in his dad band IF we all dressed in drag and only played songs from all girl bands. He's not going for it.

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 19, 2021

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Derpies posted:

TY4YS (thank you for your service)

*Salutes with a piece of home-smoked bacon*

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

JeffLeonard posted:

Real suburban (52) dad story here:

My best friend has been learning guitar for the past few years and wants to put a dad-band together and actually play gigs. He got put in a "school of rock" with some other dads at the music store where he takes lessons.

He has been begging me to play bass (LOL) in the band. I am a firm no. Reason #1: I played in bands when I was supposed to: my teens & 20s, been there, done that. Reason #2: they are going for ultimate stereotypical dad band...all the SAME lovely SONGS that every dad band plays. I have no idea where they could even get a gig playing that...never mind that they are prob not very good.

My counter offer is that I would play in his dad band IF we all dressed in drag and only played songs from all girl bands. He's not going for it.

:same:

The last guy pestering me to join a band was about 10-12 years ago. At the time I had no drum set but he wanted me to run right out and buy one so I could join his band. The band was him on lead guitar, his son and few of his son's friends. He went on and on about this Yes song he worked up and how he had the solo down pat. I tried to explain to him that the last thing people want to hear from a over band is a 20 minute Yes song but he was adamant.

In my town there's a lot of brew pubs with patios that have Dad Bands playing on the weekends.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Bonzo posted:

:same:
I tried to explain to him that the last thing people want to hear from a over band is a 20 minute Yes song but he was adamant.

Ha! I would rather hear some dad band attempt Starship Trooper than Brown Eye Girl.

My other offer to him was to be a Pink Floyd tribute band, but only from the Syd Barrett era.

You gotta have a gimmick!

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

JeffLeonard posted:

Ha! I would rather hear some dad band attempt Starship Trooper than Brown Eye Girl.

yeah I'd listen to a dad band do the solo from ST.
bbBEWW DEWP BEWDEWP BEWDEWP BEWBADABEWWWW BEWDEW BEWDEW BEWDEW BABADABEWBABADABEW BABABDABOOOW

on a surbdad side note. I just ordered one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bwM5SphcnE

cant wait for it to sit on a shelf for 5 years after 10 minutes of use.

a very large fish fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 19, 2021

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
What's the suburban mom equivalent of a dad band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

JeffLeonard posted:

What's the suburban mom equivalent of a dad band?

Wine with the girls.