Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Black August posted:

I like dragon wishes being vastly more powerful if you accept monkey-paw downsides with them, that’s cool and opens up story ideas

Wishes are just a part of the setting and the expansion of them (and the lore that wishing is only possible in U6/U7) opens the door for more strife

this is what I'm about--we've already seen dragons with variable levels of power and different numbers of wishes, the idea of a dragon min-maxed for Biggest Wishes With Fewest Balls (but with huge caveats to compensate) sounds both reasonable and rad as hell, to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't think the dragon balls actually being used for the plot is more boring than being ignored until the heroes need to revive someone

Like if every villain just wished to be immortal or something then yeah it'd be dull but we've had different uses for dragon balls across Resurrection F, the Future Trunks arc, the Moro arc, and now this.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

I figured it was a monkey's paw thing too, but they really only used that for reviving freeza in a million little chunks though. Maybe Shenron was feeling petty that day?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think the dragon balls actually being used for the plot is more boring than being ignored until the heroes need to revive someone

Like if every villain just wished to be immortal or something then yeah it'd be dull but we've had different uses for dragon balls across Resurrection F, the Future Trunks arc, the Moro arc, and now this.

I mean my problem is now they are being retrofitted to move the plot along which it’s dragon ball I don’t expect consistency but at least change things up.

At least then being used as a reset is happening in the part of the plot I absolutely do not care about. As dragon ball already isn’t known for strong finishes

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Tribladeofchaos posted:

I figured it was a monkey's paw thing too, but they really only used that for reviving freeza in a million little chunks though. Maybe Shenron was feeling petty that day?

That definitely felt like him being petty, since he gave Krillin a body back when he was blown up by frieza.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tribladeofchaos posted:

He said ahead of time, that it had been so many years since his death that he would only be able to restore him in the state he died in. And it was a bad state.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The hosed-up thing is that if Trunks hadn't blasted the Freeza bits into dust he still would have been alive

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

That definitely felt like him being petty, since he gave Krillin a body back when he was blown up by frieza.

That was Porunga, who explicitly said he was doing that as a bonus.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blockhouse posted:

The hosed-up thing is that if Trunks hadn't blasted the Freeza bits into dust he still would have been alive

Yeah, at the time it felt like complete overkill. Resurrection "F" shows us that no, Trunks was completely in the right in being that careful because Freeza's durability is absolute bullshit.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, at the time it felt like complete overkill. Resurrection "F" shows us that no, Trunks was completely in the right in being that careful because Freeza's durability is absolute bullshit.

And shows that Cell's own bullshit wasn't just from Namekian regeneration being overclocked to 11

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

how did dr. gero somehow not know about super saiyan despite getting cells from frieza and king cold

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

how did dr. gero somehow not know about super saiyan despite getting cells from frieza and king cold

it was automated.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean my problem is now they are being retrofitted to move the plot along which it’s dragon ball I don’t expect consistency but at least change things up.

At least then being used as a reset is happening in the part of the plot I absolutely do not care about. As dragon ball already isn’t known for strong finishes

I mean this is really no different than Piccolo wishing himself younger and thus powering himself up.

It's either that, raising from the dead, or wishing themselves taller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like it's worth noting that nobody has really tried the "make me stronger" thing on Dragonballs because everyone with reasonable access to them doesn't want a cheap power up. They're all martial artists who take pride in their ability to get strong on their own merits or egotistical assholes. Zamasu is probably the closest exception and "I wish I had a Goku body" is just a similar wish for a powerup filtered through Zamasu's particular brand of evil. Like Goku is dejected and unhappy he got a powerup from his friends and family, dude isn't going to take one from a dragon.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Took a break from the manga after the Moro Arc. This Granola character seems like he could go in an interesting direction.

He'll probably just wind up being another (Super!)Broly or Zamasu depending on how much of a lesson he learns, though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Could well it ends up being Suicide By Saiyan. Has there been an antagonist with that kind of motivation? It may have come up once or twice.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Suicide by Saiyan would be a great name for a death metal anime cover band.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Cuz Suicide is Saiyan
Their hair has many changes
And then get God form from Beerus and Whis

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Chapter's out:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-ball-super-chapter-70/chapter/22064?action=read

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mangaplus link: https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009016

In the end, the condition for the power boost was a pretty logical one. Granolah pulled a Gon and sacrificed his future for power right now. Sadly he's also a dumbass that wants to make use of people that are clearly better schemers than him and this will end terribly for him.

Vegeta's sheer pleasure at getting even a small thing Destroyed was kind of adorable. And I liked SS3 Granolah, I'm sad he didn't keep the look.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Granolah is a dingus.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like where this is going.
There's a lot of setup here.

The heeters are likely going after the dragonballs
Goku and Vegeta vs Granola
Something Freeza
Goku and Vegeta training
Whiz being worried

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I really like the Heeters as a faction.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Caidin posted:

Granolah is a dingus.

In a comic where the Saiyans manage to be a bunch of idiots by virtue of looking forward to a fight, it's amazing how Granaloh is already making almost equally terrible decisions right out the gate.

I like the Monkey's Paw effect on the Dragon Balls, too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Granolah having his hair grown out by the wish and then cutting most of it off was a good gag.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Poor Granolah, this is going to end so badly for him :(

I do like that the SSJ3 three hair is seemingly the universal expression for burning through your energy is the most excessive and wasteful way possible

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

I really like the Heeters as a faction.

It's nice that they actually seem to give a drat about each other.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

It's nice that they actually seem to give a drat about each other.

Well they seem to be siblings.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

MonsterEnvy posted:

Vegeta doesn't give a crap about Tarble, Raditz was going to kill Goku, Beerus and Champa keep getting into pissing contests.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The heeters Actually have a pretty solid plan. It's neat having one of the major driving forces of the arc being a group of crafty bastards. I'm guessing Granaloh is going to get his revenge for them selling out his planet to frieza.

Seriously with the Broly Movie, the Moro Arc (which I like and I think holds up way better when you don't wait a month between chaptesr) and this arc, this is probably some of the best db stuff since the cell games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah, about that:

Level Seven posted:

Vegeta doesn't give a crap about Tarble, Raditz was going to kill Goku, Beerus and Champa keep getting into pissing contests.

On the "siblings who like each other/get along" side of things, we have....Gohan/Goten and the Androids, I guess?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It seems like Granolah learned how to use Hakai, if I'm reading the visuals right.

Also, Ammonite is having a really bad day. :(

Level Seven posted:

Beerus and Champa keep getting into pissing contests.

Well, we see affection for Champa from Beerus a few times. Not so much the other way around, though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It seems like Granolah learned how to use Hakai, if I'm reading the visuals right.

Also, Ammonite is having a really bad day. :(

Well, we see affection for Champa from Beerus a few times. Not so much the other way around, though.

Not really. Berry’s made a big point of a big explosion and there wasn’t one with the ceiling.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't know why they've retconned Hakai to cause huge explosions now when every depiction of it to date has just erased things from existence

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

multijoe posted:

I don't know why they've retconned Hakai to cause huge explosions now when every depiction of it to date has just erased things from existence

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I think the reason is that they need it to work in such a way that it can be used offensively without just directly erasing the opponent and instantly winning.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yeah this storyline owns so far. I like that it uses the Moro arc in certain small ways to kick off the action and build on the plot. Feels like Radditz's arrival kicking off events through the end of the Namek saga. And there's stuff for characters who aren't the 2-3 strongest to do!

Goku and Vegeta aren't going to want to work together given their newly reignited passion for becoming the strongest in the universe, pursuing different paths. So it won't be as easy as them just beating Granolah down.

Especially if they find out he's ultimately out to destroy Freeza!

I wonder if Granolah's inevitable face-turn (if you can call it that since he's basically in the right, if powerfully stupid - and that's a cooler arc enemy than another mustache-twirling pure evil being!) at the end of this arc will be him helping to take down the Heeters and sacrifice himself? Or might he stick around for another arc ending in a final confrontation with Freeza?

I don't know what's going to happen, and there's enough set up that it could be really interesting, and it's been really cool so far and I can't wait to see what happens next! I just fukkin love me some dragonball :kiddo: and this is hitting all the right notes and making me geek out like a kid again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Not really. Berry’s made a big point of a big explosion and there wasn’t one with the ceiling.

There wasn't an explosion, true. I was looking for that visual. But, at the same time, he turned something thrown at him into sand like Beerus did to Zamasu.

multijoe posted:

Yeah, that was weird to me, too.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are doing it so Vegeta can use it but hilariously that destroys what makes it unique.

Might as well be a ki blast.

This is slightly more interesting than the Moro arc but it’s still kind of boring.

Ironically I do think it would be more interesting if the A and and B plot didn’t intersect at all

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Pretty sure from the "blam blam blam" sound effect Granolah was just crushing the debris into sand with the same telekinesis he used when he lifted the boulder earlier

Also the "hakai causes explosions" isn't consistent with how Beerus has used it in the past but it is consistent with how Toppo used it in Super so...eeehhhh?

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I don't see why not both. Hakai releases enormous amounts of energy from mass being converted directly into it. A talented/experienced Destroyer can do that while controlling all that released energy, leaving just dust. I figured Granolah is now on the level of Destroyer-candidate like Toppo.