Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the entire immediate post-timeskip stuff probably was way worse on a weekly read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm not looking forward to catching up after finding out the current arc started in 2018

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Len posted:

I'm not looking forward to catching up after finding out the current arc started in 2018
The current arc kicks major rear end

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I find it really amusing (and likely intentional by Oda) that the Strawhat with a ridiculously low bounty is kicking serious rear end.

Chopper was always held back more by his attitude than his strength, so it's not exactly surprising that when he's up for it and in full control of his devil fruit, he can kick some serious butt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah there's always some arcs that are better on a reread but even with the current schedule being 3 chapters a month, every single chapter in this arc kicks loving rear end and has weight and is worth multiple reads (and makes off-weeks feel empty)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cat Machine posted:

Yeah but I've just been able to read and read and read

There's going to be a point where I read and the cliffhanger is 2 seconds away

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The only cliffhanger you need to fear is 'Break Next Week'

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

been thinking about this chapter's cliffhanger all week

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

wano is so dense i think you really do need to read it twice. or at least I did

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
What were some other major cliffhangers that got dangled on break weeks? I know Oda has gotten us good before but this week’s is pretty wild

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Len posted:

Yeah but I've just been able to read and read and read

There's going to be a point where I read and the cliffhanger is 2 seconds away

I have trouble following basically anything but a weekly schedule, so I know that feeling of slamming up against a brick wall when you're binging some comic books. It sucks!

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Reiche posted:

What were some other major cliffhangers that got dangled on break weeks? I know Oda has gotten us good before but this week’s is pretty wild

The Red Scabbards arriving at the port and finding all the ships were destroyed happened right before a break week.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I think Luffy said gear 4th for the first time and then it went on break. That was pretty good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there was the one where big mom seemingly destroys the thousand sunny and the jolly roger is floating in the flaming sea but i don't remember it that was a break

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Not really a cliffhanger but this happened before a break

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mabels big day posted:

wano is so dense i think you really do need to read it twice. or at least I did

What chapter does it start because I would like to do this

edit: decided to start from punk hazard

Jose fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 19, 2021

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ThingOne posted:

Not really a cliffhanger but this happened before a break

god this was so beautiful

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
forgot how good this is

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

god this was so beautiful

The rebellion succeeding because its leader was too stupid to figure out a simple clue is peak One Piece.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jose posted:

forgot how good this is

Yeah it is. drat. This series owns so much.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

ThingOne posted:

The rebellion succeeding because its leader was too stupid to figure out a simple clue is peak One Piece.

Usually plans work because the enemy underestimates how strong Luffy or someone is, so it's really funny to have the opposite happen where a plan work because someone overestimated a Straw Hat ally.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Reiche posted:

Ace is Dead.

(Or is he!?)

Nope, he's dead.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ace is a cyborg.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Ace is me.

Hi!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah there's always some arcs that are better on a reread but even with the current schedule being 3 chapters a month, every single chapter in this arc kicks loving rear end and has weight and is worth multiple reads (and makes off-weeks feel empty)
I've been buying the Wano volumes as they release and it's an arc that works really well as a continuous story (Oda's panelling and flow also works incredibly well on paper). Back in 2018 I remember one of my biggest problems with Wano was remembering all the names, but now that I have everyone straight in my mind there's a lot of early chapters that feel far richer with thematic detail and context than I remember them being at the time when I was still like "who the gently caress is komurasaki and where the gently caress is ringo". Highly recommend everyone re-reads the story so far because it's great! I honestly think this is the arc to finally surpass W7/EL.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As somebody who's been aware of One Piece for decades but never got around to reading it because there was so much backlog it was intimidating and then during lockdown realized it was all available through my Shonen Jump subscription and tore through it's entirety in 3 months, it's wild when I read people mention that X character last did Y thing/made an appearance something like 10 years ago.

We're all still patiently waiting for Gin to fulfill his promise.

Jose posted:

forgot how good this is

The best part is that the whales all have scars just like Laboon. Because apparently ramming poo poo with their forehead is just the natural instinct of his species.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I mean they're bigger than drat near everything else so going through is always an option

Are the movies with checking out?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

baron omatsuri is the only one i would watch again

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Len posted:

I mean they're bigger than drat near everything else so going through is always an option

I liked Strong World

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Len posted:

Any One Piece film made before Baron Omatsuri is basically just a generic shonen anime summer blockbuster and can be ignored imo.

Baron Omatsuri is a legitimately great movie. It was made by Mamoru Hosoda not long after he left Ghibli, and has a really interesting take on the dreams/friends/adventures themes that One Piece loves so much. It gets dark! Plus, it uses a really unique artstyle that’s nothing like the one from the anime and I think it looks fuckin rad.

Film Z is the only other One Piece film I can think of that tries to do anything more than fluff/homage the main story. It has a pretty interesting antagonist and does a decent job of examining the whole “are the marines the good guys? who thought the warlord system was a good idea?!” questions that pops up now and then in the story. Buuuut it’s also the film with the creepiest fan-service (Nami and Robin get conveniently de-aged by a devil fruit!), so it’s something of a mixed bag on the whole.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Strong World is also somewhat canon (or the main villain Shiki is at least)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Len posted:

The movies worth watching are Movie 4, Movie 6, Strong World, Film Z, Gold and Stampede.

Personal favourite’s is Strong World and Movie 4. People really love movie 6 for how different it is, but movie 4 captures One Piece’s love of adventure pretty perfectly and has some really awesome animation, artwork and really excellent fight choreography with the bar fight being one of the best scenes in all the above movies for me.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Gyges posted:

We're all still patiently waiting for Gin to fulfill his promise.

The best part is that the whales all have scars just like Laboon. Because apparently ramming poo poo with their forehead is just the natural instinct of his species.

i'm like 99% sure we're going to get some "the red line is unnatural" type stuff based on those scars

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Gold owns because it’s Ocean’s 11 but with the Straw Hats.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm just gonna put this here apropos nothing because it makes me happy

Edit: I miss Franky Centaur.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 19, 2021

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dead End Adventure, Baron Omatsuri, and everythign after Strong World are all worth a watch imo.

Im gonna say Movie 2 was fun also, and its only 50 minutes long so its not a huge investment

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Len posted:

Strong World onward are all solid.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

tbp posted:

i'm like 99% sure we're going to get some "the red line is unnatural" type stuff based on those scars
Oars was called the "continent-puller".

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i still say the red line is just a massive mountain range and the reason everyone fears the WG and the entirety of one piece's world is so island focused is because they have the ability to flood the entire world. this is how the fishmen came to be and why they have an ark, and why there's a huge hole near enies lobby that the government made a loving triangle around. the WG chose the red line to live on top of because its the only place they could flood the entire world and survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
edit: wrong thread

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 20, 2021