Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Honestly if P4 is secretly progressive that makes the backside into “all gay men are predators enjoy drag, no other queer people exist” in P5(R) worse, right?
saying that gay men molesting children isnt funny is imposing our western values, actually. this is why trump won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Catsplosion posted:

Fair enough though I think that even that post has a negative dismissive tone to it and is virtue signalling because what me and you were talking about is directly relevant to how Japanese perceive the issues we were talking about. To completely dismiss what the Japanese currently think and the shift happening is in my mind both racist and interjects a western superiority into the conversation that I don't like.

Before that I thought we were starting quite an interesting discussion on how these stories are told and the influences and traditional and modern day perceptions they have to deal with to tell those stories. Also discussing the pros and cons of subtle versus explicit story telling.

do... do you think that people talking about bigotry in a game series (from a very Old Boys staff) is inherently racist towards the japanese and "virtue signaling" from the west? because, those are kind of messed up things to say; especially b/c japan isn't a monolith all jacked up to hashino's brain or w/e :yikes:

also more on topic: uhhhh heaven from p4 is a nice song, and theres a load of cool songs from p1 and 2 also imo!! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfZ6tMGgXrA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhkd2PRaVxw

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think we can all agree the arranged version of knight of the holy spear is the best song in persona, any of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZPR4JjLKjI

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's been years since I played Persona 4 Golden, how often does it let you save in the early goings when you're just starting? I got it on PC and want to start it but not sure how long I'll need to commit for those opening hours.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC the time to the first dungeon takes a while (like an hour or more) but you get several chances to save during that time, and once Yukiko's in the TV World saving gets a lot easier.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're talking good P2 songs, this is the best final boss theme in Persona history, IMO. Nyarly is also the best final boss in the series, at least in EP. Just so incredibly satisfying in a way no final boss besides P3's has been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQVKqFXKa00

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On the topic of older Persona songs, I'm still burned they didn't include the :krad: Persona awakening music from the original version of Persona 1 in the PSP port

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJfIFzAKR7k

This track is so good and as much as I love Will Power from Persona 5, I still think I kinda like the Persona 1 track a little better?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The final boss themes for both P4 and P5 have been lackluster and I'm not sure why after the headbanger that was Battle for Everyone's Souls. Even the boss fights are kinda 'eh'. It's like they really tried to replicate the 'imposing giant representation of all of society against you' and just missed the memo on why Nyx was so threatening in the first place.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

The final boss themes for both P4 and P5 have been lackluster and I'm not sure why after the headbanger that was Battle for Everyone's Souls. Even the boss fights are kinda 'eh'. It's like they really tried to replicate the 'imposing giant representation of all of society against you' and just missed the memo on why Nyx was so threatening in the first place.

Because P4 and P5 are fundamentally human stories pursuing human antagonists that are hijacked by supernatural bullshit nobody cared about.

Granted (P4 spoilers), Ameno-sagiri could be seen as the Necron to Adachi's Kuja, appearing out of the blue and stealing the main villain's thunder, but I never felt "robbed" by AS. Izanami is far more bullshit. Nobody cares about her or that final dungeon. Because P4 is built up all around "The Killer" just like P5 is built up all around Shido and his conspiracy.

Also AS and Shido have way better boss themes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I've never really understood the appeal of Battle for Everyone's Souls. Give me Throw Away Your Mask any day.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I remember of the P4 final boss track, most of it was this slow, ominous-sounding drums-and-guitar until it breaks into a triumphant version of Reach Out To The Truth at the end, but how you're doing in the fight has no relation to what part of the track is playing so 80% of the time you're dying during the good part, or the song looped and you're winning on the vaguely ominous bit.

(P4 vanilla, I never played Golden)

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 19, 2021

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I wonder what completely asinine desire the collective unconsciousness of Japan will have in Persona 6 that will give birth to a pseudo-god that only vaguely relates to the mythological version.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Badger of Basra posted:

I've never really understood the appeal of Battle for Everyone's Souls. Give me Throw Away Your Mask any day.

It's cool to hear a remix of a calm song you've heard the entire game as an action battle theme.

Couldn't tell you what P4 or P5's final boss themes were or even sounded like.

NikkolasKing posted:

Because P4 and P5 are fundamentally human stories pursuing human antagonists that are hijacked by supernatural bullshit nobody cared about.

Granted (P4 spoilers), Ameno-sagiri could be seen as the Necron to Adachi's Kuja, appearing out of the blue and stealing the main villain's thunder, but I never felt "robbed" by AS. Izanami is far more bullshit. Nobody cares about her or that final dungeon. Because P4 is built up all around "The Killer" just like P5 is built up all around Shido and his conspiracy.

Also AS and Shido have way better boss themes.

Did anyone care about the human antagonist of P5?

Yaldabaoth was better because he was built up towards for half the game, imo.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 19, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

YggiDee posted:

From what I remember of the P4 final boss track, most of it was this slow, ominous-sounding drums-and-guitar until it breaks into a triumphant version of Reach Out To The Truth at the end, but how you're doing in the fight has no relation to what part of the track is playing so 80% of the time you're dying during the good part, or the song looped and you're winning on the vaguely ominous bit.

(P4 vanilla, I never played Golden)

It was also on like a 7 minute loop and the good part lasted about 30 seconds, too. The Almighty, Ameno-Sagiri's song, was much better.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm going to be honest with you guys, I have probably at least six playthroughs between P3FES, P3P, and P4. I could go my entire life without ever hearing the Aria of the Soul ever again.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We should go back to the P1 version of Aria that breaks up Belladonna's singing with some solo piano bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGqoPQZyUsk

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really would love to see the other Velvet Room residents come back, like Belladonna. It was cool how there were actual beings there making the music and helping with fusion.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrjeZHsgxqg

I only know this from the Arena character select but they claim it's from P4. I've played P4 twice now and can't recall hearing it once. Unless Golden removed it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Bonus track on the Persona 4 soundtrack disc that came with the artbook for the original PS2 release.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a bonus track on the OST. P3 had a similar track.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder if we'll even get Igor in the next game with his Japanese VA passing away.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Bonus track on the Persona 4 soundtrack disc that came with the artbook for the original PS2 release.

Arist posted:

It's a bonus track on the OST. P3 had a similar track.

Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

It's a neat track, glad Arena used it so I could hear it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bobjr posted:

I wonder if we'll even get Igor in the next game with his Japanese VA passing away.

the way igor is handled in p5 made me think of it as a way of writing him off. its never said and this is 100% just headcanon but i took it as yaldabaoth killed him and the real igor helping you out at the end of the game was like, his ghost. ofc he doesnt fade away or anything, he just hangs around, so again, definitely just my reading of it and not anything intended, but it did sort of have that vibe if that makes sense. i wouldnt be surprised if p6 uses something different from the velvet room.

igor's also noticeably not in strikers, which definitely lends credence to the idea that p5 was their way of writing him off.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

bobjr posted:

Make the next Velvet Room assistant (is that what they're called?) old and then make a young, hot Igor.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

Make the next Velvet Room assistant (is that what they're called?) old and then make a young, hot Igor.

Keep the nose and you've got a deal.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They bring back Igor's bone phone with which you call him up while he's on vacation to fuse things for you.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I hope the next Velvet Room is a private train (representing...your being forced into a certain path for your life?) or a private jet (your wanderlust).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It'll actually be a dinghy in an ocean, representing mankind's desire to stay afloat amongst the sea of unconscious expectations and desires. You fuse Personas by throwing them into a net and then lowering the net into the ocean full of sharks which chomp them into a new one.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

persona 6: the return of philemon, whos deciding to try out this fusion business

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Booky posted:

persona 6: the return of philemon, whos deciding to try out this fusion business

Philemon but he’s trying to be cool and hip with the times.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
P5R: At the final boss of the September palace. It started much better than it ended at least (Those PS2 rear end looking corridors).

I have some questions about the boss though:

About what HP do the minions start running? So far, the battle isn't so much hard as it is incredibly tedious. I only made it to the green suit buff bots before I got a Joker kill game over.

Oh hell, please do not tell me that self destructing bots causes a "gently caress you, here is another wave", even if you defeat the rest?

Anyway, looking forward to the next palace even if certain aspects I let myself spoil myself on, accidentally or otherwise (Namely, who's palace it was, though I do not know most of context (or least I like to think so))

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Lord_Magmar posted:

Philemon but he’s trying to be cool and hip with the times.

I imagine he'd be as out of touch with the accuracy of the "times" as vampires are sometimes depicted, i.e., mashing together all the centuries.

"How do you do, mortal kids? May I bestow upon you your complimentary welcome basket, including a Decarabia fidget spinner, a Jack Frost snuff box, and Mara codpieces! Enjoy."

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

im saint germain posted:

I imagine he'd be as out of touch with the accuracy of the "times" as vampires are sometimes depicted, i.e., mashing together all the centuries.

"How do you do, mortal kids? May I bestow upon you your complimentary welcome basket, including a Decarabia fidget spinner, a Jack Frost snuff box, and Mara codpieces! Enjoy."

Yeah this is the best option clearly.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Unlucky7 posted:

P5R: At the final boss of the September palace. It started much better than it ended at least (Those PS2 rear end looking corridors).

I have some questions about the boss though:

About what HP do the minions start running? So far, the battle isn't so much hard as it is incredibly tedious. I only made it to the green suit buff bots before I got a Joker kill game over.

Oh hell, please do not tell me that self destructing bots causes a "gently caress you, here is another wave", even if you defeat the rest?

Anyway, looking forward to the next palace even if certain aspects I let myself spoil myself on, accidentally or otherwise (Namely, who's palace it was, though I do not know most of context (or least I like to think so))

1. I believe it's roughly 25%? Never tested it much.

2. Yes, it's another wave. You really want to abuse Baton Pass chains here, or turn up the difficulty to Merciless which increases damage from weakness hits. Remember that you can use elemental attack items to score a weakness hit and keep the chain going.

This fight was both easier and worse in vanilla; the waves were less annoying to deal with, but Haru didn't have Baton Pass there since it was a Confidant ability then so the Psy-weak waves were... yeah.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

2. Yes, it's another wave. You really want to abuse Baton Pass chains here, or turn up the difficulty to Merciless which increases damage from weakness hits. Remember that you can use elemental attack items to score a weakness hit and keep the chain going.

Thank you for your tips.

Also haha what the gently caress :suicide:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Imo it's best to end the Baton passes with Haru anyway because her all-hit gun attack which can hit multiple times is a great way to finish a wave weakened by single-target chain building attacks

Also, it really helps if you can switch party members in battle, if you've unlocked that you should make liberal use of it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The best way is to actually hit a separate target three times with weakness with the first three members, then pass to Joker/Haru who then use a Ma-spell to hit all four. That gives them an additional One More.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im saint germain posted:

:yeshaha:

i want philemon to show up with like, shades and a backwards baseball cap and a skateboard and those cool spinners!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unlucky7 posted:

Thank you for your tips.

Also haha what the gently caress :suicide:

If all else fails just use fuse Yoshitsune and oneshot everything with hassou tobi. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Harrow posted:

I really would love to see the other Velvet Room residents come back, like Belladonna. It was cool how there were actual beings there making the music and helping with fusion.
Now that Igor's likely out of the picture, you may actually get your wish, assuming they don't just make one new character design and have what would have been the assistant character in previous games handle fusion as well. I doubt they'll go back to the characters they've already made, but going forward we may see a bit more of an ensemble cast in the Velvet Room.