Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Yeah I don't use a water bladder for camping because most often my pack is in the bottom of a canoe, and more generally, trying to refill and get it back in an already loaded pack is a pain.

But on the topic of durability, I have fallen directly on my back while wearing my bladder more than once.. it's not gonna pop just from being in a backpack unless you introduce it to something sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Pennywise the Frown posted:

None at all. I'd love to know of some. I don't know of anything outside like, a 50 mile NW trip from me.

edit: lol I just found this in my bookmarks. I haven't done any of it nor do I remember reading or bookmarking it

Wisconsin Explorer Primitive and Dispersed Camping in Wisconsin

It's mentioned on there, but Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest is beautiful, and so long as it's not hunting season, is worth it. Many parts are pine, too, which make for nice, squishy sleeping. Check out the Ice Age Trail Alliance resources - they link Guthook Guides app which has downloaded maps including Dispersed camping sites.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have any essentials they take on a day hike? I understand like..... shoes and a phone is all you really need. But I like having stuff. I even bring a GPS so I can "ugh" about how much more trail I have left until I finish.

I try to take the 10 essentials just-in-case, but your phone is good enough to cover a bunch of them.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I like bladders when going on day hikes. I use my TETON Sports Oasis 1100 Hydration Pack which I really like. Sometimes I just put a Smart Water bottle in the side pockets but it's can be slightly annoying to swing the pack off of one shoulder to take it out. Plus it's a bit tall so sometimes I just use a nalgene bottle. (edit: I responded before I read all of the replies so I guess I do what all of you guys do too lol)

Anyone have any essentials they take on a day hike? I understand like..... shoes and a phone is all you really need. But I like having stuff. I even bring a GPS so I can "ugh" about how much more trail I have left until I finish.

Emergency shelter (just a poncho), first aid kit, and duct tape. Just in case.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

z0331 posted:

Just making sure they weren't something that seem good but everyone has horror stories about having them leak, be difficult to use, take up more room than they're worth, taste awful no matter what, etc.

I’ve got personal horror stories of all the above. Had a buddy whose valve froze on a trip, leaked all inside his pack during the winter, and he burned the corner of his sleeping bag trying to dry it over the fire. Also had a buddy who left his camelback to dry in the sun only to have it turn all green with growth. Two years ago I was convinced to buy a Geiggerig by a friend, and I have yet to get the chemical flavor out of the bladder. Tried dish soap, hot water, soaking, scrubbing, you name it. Worst 80$ I’ve ever spent. I still have it and if the flavor ever dissipates I would probably really like it, because you can pressurize it and turn the bag inside out for cleaning. Tried another cheap bladder while out west one time, same flavor problem.

All that being said I am a big fan of the plastic 1-2L sawyer bags for muling clean water and haven’t had leaks, and I just transfer drinking water to my gatorade or smart water bottle. Nalgenes are nice but too heavy imho. Maybe I’m just the broken thread because everyone else seems to like them, they’re just not my thing. Gatorade bottles are cheap, indestructible, and weigh nothing.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I love my bladder so much I bought a bigger one. With an inline charcoal filter the plastic taste goes away.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chard posted:

if you're going to get a bladder anyway i strongly recommend the CNOC bladders. super easy to fill, very tough material, and built-in interface with sawyer squeeze filters so on longer trips you can get clean water as you go

Seconding the thanks, grabbed the vertical filtration package.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm not sure how people use anything but bladders. Ive got a buddy who insists on bringing two of the big nalgenes and I don't get it. Having hydration on hand without having to awkwardly grab a bottle out of your pack while you're walking. Sure you could stop but it's nice to drink while you walk.

I understand why nalgene bottles became a thing but it's funny to see how much of an "outdoorsy" thing they still are with so many other options available.

I prefer the platypus big zip because it's easier to clean and dry due to having a large opening. I usually bring a small (20oz) empty Gatorade or smart water bottle with me for mixing drinks in camp or whatever because I'm not putting anything but clean water in my bladder. It's big enough for a cup of coffee, hot chocolate, sports drink whatever.

Most packs from small day packs to big internal frames are designed to carry a bladder now.

Someone mentioned cooking. Honestly a bladder is great for hanging on a tree which allows pressure to use the hose to fill pots, help with clean up etc. Bladder bags are light and can fold down to nothing. You could easily store 8l of water for the same container weight of a single 32oz nalgene.

In the decade plus that I've been using hydration bladders, I've never had a single issue with one. Platypus have been my favorite for to their materials and durability. I've got an osprey as well which I also like. No taste or flavor.

I will say if you are winter camping, a bladder may not be the best choice for that. You can definitely find insulated sleeves and stuff for the bladder, hose and bite valve but if poo poo is getting really cold, a nalgene in your sleeping bag might be the best bet.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ziplock bags and picaridin wipes. They weigh nothing and have saved me on many occasions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea not having to stop for a drink sounds silly but it's honestly the greatest.

Especially when you have a hound with you who NEEDS 2 SNIFF EVERYTHING

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Gonna 2nd the platypus big zip. Been a standard in my kit for years.

I had a friend that lost his bite valve while we were hiking half dome and it wouldn't stop leaking, obviously. So, I guess, just make sure you have a nalgene handy if that happens, so that you can disconnect the hose and drink from the nalgene instead.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

sb hermit posted:

Gonna 2nd the platypus big zip. Been a standard in my kit for years.

I had a friend that lost his bite valve while we were hiking half dome and it wouldn't stop leaking, obviously. So, I guess, just make sure you have a nalgene handy if that happens, so that you can disconnect the hose and drink from the nalgene instead.

While what you say makes sense from a "be prepared" standpoint, there's no way in hell I'm carrying an empty nalgene around if I've decided to use my water bladder that day. I've never had a bite valve just come off randomly, or anything even close to that really.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Count me as one of the people wondering what to do with my upcoming rei membership coupon.

My gear is a mix of hand-me-downs:

A 3 burner propane Coleman and a butane stove from the 90
A titanium flatware set I got for work lunch.
A cheap redcamp sleeping bag that's just cotton insulation
A rei half dome 2+
A neoair xlite
A black diamond headlamp
A 30 day lantern.
A pair of prana shorts I took to Ginny Springs/Santa Fe River that dried incredibly fast.
A bottle of permethrin to spray down my gear now that the swarm will awaken soon.

Maybe I should upgrade the sleeping bag or a lighter R pad, or a portable backpacking stove? Or just go all out a buy a nice big glamping tent. I don't think rei sells dehydrators? Or buy a backpacking bag, though there's not much to backpack in florida it seems.

I'm going to solo camp at Midway station in big cypress soon as I can.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

armorer posted:

While what you say makes sense from a "be prepared" standpoint, there's no way in hell I'm carrying an empty nalgene around if I've decided to use my water bladder that day. I've never had a bite valve just come off randomly, or anything even close to that really.

Fair enough. I find that I tend to be overprepared for too many things. An empty nalgene really does take up a lot of room.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Verman posted:

I'm not sure how people use anything but bladders. Ive got a buddy who insists on bringing two of the big nalgenes and I don't get it. Having hydration on hand without having to awkwardly grab a bottle out of your pack while you're walking. Sure you could stop but it's nice to drink while you walk.

I understand why nalgene bottles became a thing but it's funny to see how much of an "outdoorsy" thing they still are with so many other options available.

I prefer the platypus big zip because it's easier to clean and dry due to having a large opening. I usually bring a small (20oz) empty Gatorade or smart water bottle with me for mixing drinks in camp or whatever because I'm not putting anything but clean water in my bladder. It's big enough for a cup of coffee, hot chocolate, sports drink whatever.

Most packs from small day packs to big internal frames are designed to carry a bladder now.

Someone mentioned cooking. Honestly a bladder is great for hanging on a tree which allows pressure to use the hose to fill pots, help with clean up etc. Bladder bags are light and can fold down to nothing. You could easily store 8l of water for the same container weight of a single 32oz nalgene.

In the decade plus that I've been using hydration bladders, I've never had a single issue with one. Platypus have been my favorite for to their materials and durability. I've got an osprey as well which I also like. No taste or flavor.

I will say if you are winter camping, a bladder may not be the best choice for that. You can definitely find insulated sleeves and stuff for the bladder, hose and bite valve but if poo poo is getting really cold, a nalgene in your sleeping bag might be the best bet.

I prefer wide mouth bottles because:

-I want at least one bottle anyway, for non-water drinks, mainly. But it's just handy to have one for lots of reasons where fiddling with a bladder and hose is inconvenient (boiling water safe container, general drinking container, quick water retrieval, wound irrigation, warm water bottle at night, piss bottle, to carry some water when just going on a quick walk or checking something out without needing your pack...)

-One 1L bottle is enough for 95% of my trips outside winter, and bladders suck for winter. I'd rather have just a bottle than just a bladder.

-Easy to see how much water I have left and how fast I'm going through it.

-I prefer not to carry more than 1L of water at a time and just refill frequently. Filling a bladder is just always a bit more of a pain in the rear end than filling a bottle.

-Bladders have poor compatibility with "big dumb bag" packs that I generally prefer, especially when they are packed full.

-Despite my best intentions, my usual post-trip gear maintenance routine is "throw poo poo in a closet and forget about it for a week". I get pink algae growing in my water bottles that I usually have to clean out before a trip...probably better for me to stick to something very easy to clean.

-I'm gonna take breaks here and there anyway, to eat, rest, or piss, and I'm generally fine just drinking then, or when I refill my water.

-Freezing is the norm overnight for almost all of my trips, even in summer.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I inevitably spill water all over myself every time I drink from a nalgene. It's probably not the ideal bottle for me, but it's what I have.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a 3L bladder but that’s because I hike in SoCal and water refills are scarce. I also carry a Nalgene but just clip it to the outside of the back so it doesn’t take up any space. I use it for cook prep or for energy drink tablets (my go-to drink enhancer)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sb hermit posted:

For a lost bite valve, you can tie the hose in a knot and elevate it on your strap to keep it from spilling. You can also just use a piece of tape to cover it up for the time being or fashion a plug out of something to put in the hose tip, or maybe fold the hose over and use a hair tie or a rubber band to pinch it off. Just have to get creative. If the bladder still holds water and the only leak is where the bite valve was, its pretty easy to still continue using that bladder, yeah it might be a little inconvenient but you'll get through the trip. If the bladder was cut and unable to hold water, different story. With many of the bladders (platypus and osprey from my experience), they have quick disconnects so that you can have a full bladder and remove the hose without spilling any water. It would be less than ideal but you still have a device capable of holding water even if the bite valve is missing. As someone else has said though, in all my years and miles doing this, I have literally never once lost a bite valve on a hydration bladder. I'm sure it happens but Ive never had an issue.

Quixotic1 posted:

Count me as one of the people wondering what to do with my upcoming rei membership coupon.

My gear is a mix of hand-me-downs:

A 3 burner propane Coleman and a butane stove from the 90
A titanium flatware set I got for work lunch.
A cheap redcamp sleeping bag that's just cotton insulation
A rei half dome 2+
A neoair xlite
A black diamond headlamp
A 30 day lantern.
A pair of prana shorts I took to Ginny Springs/Santa Fe River that dried incredibly fast.
A bottle of permethrin to spray down my gear now that the swarm will awaken soon.

Maybe I should upgrade the sleeping bag or a lighter R pad, or a portable backpacking stove? Or just go all out a buy a nice big glamping tent. I don't think rei sells dehydrators? Or buy a backpacking bag, though there's not much to backpack in florida it seems.

I'm going to solo camp at Midway station in big cypress soon as I can.

It looks like this is all car camping stuff so I just want to make sure I'm giving you suggestions based off your needs.

First thing I would upgrade is your sleeping bag. That sleeping bag probably weighs a ton, stays damp if its humid or gets wet, and probably takes up a poo poo ton of space. I'm not sure what temps you camp in but a typical three season bag is rated for a low of 15-30ºF. You can find sub $200 down bags now which are all pretty good, or an even cheaper route with a synthetic bag which can be had around $100 ish. If you're on a budget a good sleeping bag might seem expensive but it will last for years and I would argue is one of the most important pieces of gear that can make or break a trip.

Next I would consider anything you don't have. Water filter, maybe a cooler ... whatever you've been out camping and thought "I could really use a ...". If nothing rings a bell, then look at upgrading an existing piece of gear you currently have like the stove, maybe supplement the three burner propane stove with something slightly smaller for backpacking if you are trying to go that route. If you just want a little more luxury, look at a nice camp chair or a small roll up aluminum table.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Morbus posted:

-Easy to see how much water I have left and how fast I'm going through it.

this right here is why i moved away from bladders to carrying waterbottles, too often i found myself sipped dry much earlier than i would expect.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Verman posted:

It looks like this is all car camping stuff so I just want to make sure I'm giving you suggestions based off your needs.

First thing I would upgrade is your sleeping bag. That sleeping bag probably weighs a ton, stays damp if its humid or gets wet, and probably takes up a poo poo ton of space. I'm not sure what temps you camp in but a typical three season bag is rated for a low of 15-30ºF. You can find sub $200 down bags now which are all pretty good, or an even cheaper route with a synthetic bag which can be had around $100 ish. If you're on a budget a good sleeping bag might seem expensive but it will last for years and I would argue is one of the most important pieces of gear that can make or break a trip.

Next I would consider anything you don't have. Water filter, maybe a cooler ... whatever you've been out camping and thought "I could really use a ...". If nothing rings a bell, then look at upgrading an existing piece of gear you currently have like the stove, maybe supplement the three burner propane stove with something slightly smaller for backpacking if you are trying to go that route. If you just want a little more luxury, look at a nice camp chair or a small roll up aluminum table.

Yes I forgot to mention that's it been car camping in Florida so far and the camping spots are basically asphalt pads next to some grass to pitch tents and have picnic tables already there. Guess it's best to get my camping legs on those before trying out some real wilderness.

Sleeping bag is the main thing I've been looking at yeah as I live and sleep cold. The neoair elite saved me from the cold one time when it dipped into the mid to high 40s at night, as a friend who had camped there previously with the same temp range slept on a regular air mattress and was cold. Been eyeing the Kyan 30 is on sale right now.

I'm now getting a cousin into the idea of heading out with me and I have to keep him away from getting tacticool poo poo like a hatchet that doubles as a firestarter compass and has a knife in the handle.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Verman posted:

For a lost bite valve, you can tie the hose in a knot and elevate it on your strap to keep it from spilling. You can also just use a piece of tape to cover it up for the time being or fashion a plug out of something to put in the hose tip, or maybe fold the hose over and use a hair tie or a rubber band to pinch it off. Just have to get creative. If the bladder still holds water and the only leak is where the bite valve was, its pretty easy to still continue using that bladder, yeah it might be a little inconvenient but you'll get through the trip. If the bladder was cut and unable to hold water, different story. With many of the bladders (platypus and osprey from my experience), they have quick disconnects so that you can have a full bladder and remove the hose without spilling any water. It would be less than ideal but you still have a device capable of holding water even if the bite valve is missing. As someone else has said though, in all my years and miles doing this, I have literally never once lost a bite valve on a hydration bladder. I'm sure it happens but Ive never had an issue.

Consensus was that he left the bite valve at home and, at the time, he opted to just try not to spill. We're still alive so it generally worked out. Losing bite valves is not an issue. It is just majorly inconvenient if you forgot it while cleaning.

Today, I would have disconnected the hose and filled a nalgene. Probably the same solution I would use if I wanted to carry a lot of water but couldn't use the hose.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FCKGW posted:

I have a 3L bladder but that’s because I hike in SoCal and water refills are scarce. I also carry a Nalgene but just clip it to the outside of the back so it doesn’t take up any space. I use it for cook prep or for energy drink tablets (my go-to drink enhancer)

:same:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't carry much in my daypack. I have bug spray which is a requirement in WI and a small first aid kit I put together from items from multiple Adventure Medical Kits. Mostly band aids, mole skin, antibiotic gel, ibuprofen and allergy meds, etc. I might have a multitool in there, not sure if I do and not sure why.

I'm going to throw a poncho and emergency blanket in there. Any other ideas? I love gear. I probably use like 10% of the stuff I have but I like it anyway drat it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Make sure you have some means to contact folks even if you don’t have cell access.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I like bladders if I'm backpacking, but I still pack a bottle. I like the nalgene style with measurements. It makes cooking a little easier, and it's easier to clean if I'm doing something flavored (tea, hot cocoa, those little tablets that dissolve and have caffeine in them).
If it's cold, I also like to fill it with hot water and throw it in the bottom of my sleeping bag to warm up my feet. Also makes finding your water in the middle of the night easy!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Bladder + bottles crew represent.

Why yes it is hot as balls all the time here and water can be hard to find so carrying 5l isn't a crazy concept.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nitrousoxide posted:

Make sure you have some means to contact folks even if you don’t have cell access.

I have no idea what I would use to contact people without a cell phone. I have a radio that has a good range I suppose. And now I have my FCC license so I can transmit on it legally. But I'd have to find someone who is listening. I basically only go hiking alone, but not out in the bush or anything. You can drive to the trailheads. I usually do about 4ish miles round trip. Sometimes I see someone on the trail but not always.

What other means would you be thinking of?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A Personal Locater Beacon or Satellite messenger.

The former doesn't require a subscription but you can't use it for anything except an emergency. You basically blast out a reserved frequency that the US government watches for people in distress.

The latter will have you contacting private satellites which you can use to text people or use pre-recorded messages or send your location. You can also use them to signal for distress as well.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/personal-locator-beacons.html

Keeping a handheld ham radio on you is also helpful as well. Especially if you go for the former, that will let you contact the rescuers and communicate with them when they start getting closer.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Bladder + bottles crew represent.

Why yes it is hot as balls all the time here and water can be hard to find so carrying 5l isn't a crazy concept.

I did a quick overnight in Joshua Tree and still had to lug around 6L minimum between the out and back hike and all the cook prep I had to use.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

You don’t need a beacon for a day hike lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those are really expensive. Yikes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

You don’t need a beacon for a day hike lol.

Never forget that one girl in Hawaii who went out to do some yoga :911:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Too many people in this thread carrying nalgenes god drat

Get an Aquafina or if you really want to shave grams, a smart water bottle. Save yourself 2.5 ounces of pack weight for each one, and they’re thin and easier to stuff in the side pockets of your pack, etc etc etc

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I don't carry much in my daypack. I have bug spray which is a requirement in WI and a small first aid kit I put together from items from multiple Adventure Medical Kits. Mostly band aids, mole skin, antibiotic gel, ibuprofen and allergy meds, etc. I might have a multitool in there, not sure if I do and not sure why.

I'm going to throw a poncho and emergency blanket in there. Any other ideas? I love gear. I probably use like 10% of the stuff I have but I like it anyway drat it.

Maybe a whistle? If you have one that doesn't have the ball in there then it will work in more conditions.

I agree that a handheld radio would not be useful unless someone is listening. And they'd probably have to be nearby, given that your handheld radio would not likely be very powerful, unless you are hiking near a repeater and ... etc ... although you know more about this stuff since I don't even have my ham license yet.

Getting a satellite communicator is not terribly necessary if you at least let someone know that you're going hiking. And then, have them call the cavalry (but calling you first, in case you forget) if you don't check in. Still, you can sometimes pick up a satellite messenger for cheap, but keep in mind that you always need to pay subscription fees. For garmins, that's about $15/mo (but cheaper plans exist for intermittent use).

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sockser posted:

Get an Aquafina or if you really want to shave grams, a smart water bottle. Save yourself 2.5 ounces of pack weight for each one, and they’re thin and easier to stuff in the side pockets of your pack, etc etc etc

I’ll take my nalgene to my grave. Maybe instead harangue my pal who insists on backpacking with his hydroflask.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My day hike bag is basically always packed so I can toss food in and go.

First aid kit with the essentials, also has duct tape, spare batteries (headlamp or gps), lighter, compass, emergency blanket and small multi tool. Also toilet paper and hand sanitizer. It's in an orange storage sack with a cross on it about the size of a quart zip lock bag so it's easy to see and just grab and move into another pack if needed.

I'll usually bring a small bladder/bottle of water/gatorade. Food is usually a biggie as I don't typically eat breakfast. I'll make a sandwich the night before and pack some chips and/or fruit.

Sun glasses, hat, layers or a jacket. Sun screen, chap stick, bug repellent.

Other stuff that might vary by the hike or day would be a gps and map if I'm going somewhere really remote/less traveled or off trail. Leg gaiters if it's up into the snow levels or extra sloppy. Micro spikes, crampons and an ice axe for any steep snow or ice. Camera or binoculars if I feel like it. Water filter if it's a long or really hot day. Poles. Gloves. Headlamp. My day packs are pretty small, the one I use the most is an osprey raptor 14l.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Yeah if your only plan for something going wrong is a beacon you're doing it very, very wrong. In most places extraction costs are on the individual. Pushing that button is a $10,000 - $30,000 exercise, and while I fully support having one, they aren't for day hikes from a trailhead.

Tell someone where you are going and when you will be back. Make sure it is someone you trust and be detailed on what to do if you miss your check-in time. Be familiar with what supports are available for this person to contact

I'd also encourage everyone to carry a pealess whistle. After all, even if you push the bankruptcy button, people need to be able to find you. Hollering at the top of your lungs isn't close to as effective and is very uncomfortable even when you're not potentially injured or suffering from exposure.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Math You posted:

Yeah if your only plan for something going wrong is a beacon you're doing it very, very wrong.

As an intermediate measure I have a gender reveal incindiary device that I can use to start a forest fire to draw rescuers to my location. It will definitely maim me when I set it off, but really that's more of an insurance policy that I needed help instead of just getting a really bad charlie horse on the trail.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have thought about getting a Garmin inReach Mini, but not for hiking since my wife is usually with me when I hike. Instead I would use it for trail running in remote places without cell (for example the GSMNP). I do like you can turn on the service for a few months and cut it back off, but I hate the high entry cost of $350. I have a 18 mile run I am doing in the GSMNP in May, and I am still on the fence about getting it. It would allow me to text my wife and for her to follow along with my progress (Garmin Live Tracking). So many more things can go wrong when you are running instead of hiking in the woods.

Sockser posted:

Yep. I stopped carrying Nalgenes a few years ago, and joined the Smartwater bottle trend. Plus they work great with the Sawyer mini. On longer hikes I do carry a bladder, but I mostly don't use a drinking tube (unless I am on a super long trail run).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Rescue costs depend on your location. The Rocky Mountain rescue group in CO doesn’t charge at all for example. You should look up who services your planned hiking area and their policy.

For water bottles, I do smart water bottles 3 seasons and a nalgene for ski touring. The smart water bottles are way easier to refill than sawyer bladders from essentially any source, take a sawyer as a cap for easy filtering, and are super light. Plus you earn ultralight cred which is very important.