Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

he's a hot villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m confused isn’t Loki a villain?

He's supposed to be "evil" in the show, but the protagonist.

So, I am predicting a Walter White level of fans empathizing with every bad thing he does.

Some people already flipped out when the Russos said they consulted on the show and confirmed that Loki in 2012 was just evil and not being manipulated by the mind stone.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Bust Rodd posted:

He's a sympathetic villain to a lot of people. He was taken hostage as a baby, lied to about his origins by his father, overlooked in the line of succession in favor of his brother despite his brother being a cruel warmongering idiot, is often conflicted about the bad things he does, shows multiple times that despite his callousness and duplicity that he is still motivated to act out of love for his family and his society, and is entirely capable of heroism. The exact kind of character that people want to see redeemed.

Whether you think he deserves redemption is another question. Debate about his level of culpability for New York vs Thanos and thus his guilt for those who died during the attack aside, he did try to do a Genocide to the Jotun entirely of his own volition and gave directions to the Big Dark Elf Boi for pretty much no reason but pettiness that helped him bring down Asgard's shield which led to a lot of deaths, including arguably his own mother. He grew as a character to regret being that person but other than helping to save the Asgardians from Hela and dying trying to bring down Thanos he's never done much to make amends for his misdeeds.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Bust Rodd posted:

Its been retconned that the staff convinced Loki to attack Earth.

Probably cause they want us to like him in this show.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
What time does the new shows post on Disney+?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Djarum posted:

What time does the new shows post on Disney+?

3 AM EST

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Based on that collar I assume we're going to have The Running Man

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Almost FATWS time! :woop:

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Bust Rodd posted:

He's proven he has the capacity to change and grow. This actually makes this iteration of him intriguing. I'd love to see his reaction to being told about what he became and did. I'm imagining a sneering response about stupidity coupled with a deep feeling of pride.

Rightly or wrongly, his entire life was consumed with the feeling he wasn't good enough in some way and he was a giant dick because of it. Genuinely.

I'm always interested in characters that at least try to explain how they arrived at a certain point. Bonus points if they don't let them off the hook. Let us not forget he has killed hundreds of thousands of people working out his Daddy issues.

(this feels like classic anti-hero gubbins, mostly because as others have said "he's so dreamy")

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

WINGSUIT GUNFIGHT

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Loki is as close as there is to a live action Tumblr Sexman.

I really like this so far. I love Sam's family and Bucky having a date

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Bucky’s friendship with the old Japanese dude is terrific.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, err'body got mortgage problems in these superhero shows nowadays. D'you think it says something about our generation that the most relatable problem that all the writers are writing about our lives is having to worry about money to pay back the bank?
:smith:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8AmeodDFhw

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Falcon and Winter Soldier seems a lot better than I thought it would be.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Gonz posted:

Bucky’s friendship with the old Japanese dude is terrific.

That friendship is not going to survive the truth, is it? :smith:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That was really good. I want to see more of these two and I want them to get some wins.

Comic book stuff I spotted: Torres, the military dude who works with Falcon I assume is the second Falcon, Joaquin Torres - though I doubt he's getting any wings.

Also spotted the Power Broker getting namechecked in the credits graphics. Presumably how USAgent will get powers, but also maybe has something to do with the beefy Flag-Smasher?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

BrianWilly posted:

Man, err'body got mortgage problems in these superhero shows nowadays. D'you think it says something about our generation that the most relatable problem that all the writers are writing about our lives is having to worry about money to pay back the bank?
:smith:

Really these people should all earn hundreds of thousands from speaking engagements, merch and licensing, or promotional stuff. Nobody except maybe Spider-man should be struggling with money.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

Really these people should all earn hundreds of thousands from speaking engagements, merch and licensing, or promotional stuff. Nobody except maybe Spider-man should be struggling with money.

Maybe the A listers. B tier and below will be lucky to get a stand at Comicon and charge for autographs.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/its_nat2204/status/1372822171714740224

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

stev posted:

Maybe the A listers. B tier and below will be lucky to get a stand at Comicon and charge for autographs.

Right. Sam helped Cap take down Hydra, became an international fugitive, and then helped save Earth from Thanos but the dude still wasn’t sure who he was until he basically fed the answer to him.

Solid pilot. The opening scene was mostly great but the lack of any kind of air movement when Redwing blew the door felt kinda weird. I guess they were low and slow enough for it not to matter. Bucky’s old man friendship is sweet and I hate that it’s almost certainly going to end when he tells him the truth. I really like how the show is making a serious effort to expand these characters beyond just their relationship to Cap.

Every scene with Sam doubting himself over the shield hit in a way that made me feel for the character. The Walker reveal felt like an actual betrayal in a way I hadn’t expected, especially since his presence in the show hasn’t been a secret at all.
I’m pleasantly surprised that the character beats were the focus here, I fully expected the show to be 80% action. Obviously that’ll pick up as we go on, but it’ll be interesting to see how much of the rest of the season will be family life/personal stuff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That was good! Looks nice too. Who was captain fauxmerica at the end?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

sebmojo posted:

That was good! Looks nice too. Who was captain fauxmerica at the end?

USAgent. He's a bit of an anti-hero take on Cap, usually well intentioned but hyper-patriotic and a bit bonkers

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BurritoJustice posted:

USAgent. He's a bit of an anti-hero take on Cap, usually well intentioned but hyper-patriotic and a bit bonkers
https://twitter.com/syntheticvisicn/status/1372827597239955456

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Absolutely everyone on social media is making fun of John Walker for instantly looking like the most punchable man on the planet but I'm gonna reserve judgment in case he turns out to be a sympathetic cool character :colbert:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just realised us agent is will Russell, the guy in the video game episode of Black Mirror who seems to be the kind of actor suited for playing a well meaning and cheerful idiot. Stoked if he turns out to be a villain though

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'd bet anything on the twist with USAgent being that we are set up to hate him but he ends up just being a well intentioned nice guy

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just realised us agent is will Russell, the guy in the video game episode of Black Mirror who seems to be the kind of actor suited for playing a well meaning and cheerful idiot. Stoked if he turns out to be a villain though

This is exactly his role on Lodge 49

BurritoJustice posted:

I'd bet anything on the twist with USAgent being that we are set up to hate him but he ends up just being a well intentioned nice guy

Giving how explicitly Team America: World Police the US was in this episode, it feels like US Agent is going to be doing a lot of things Steve stood against.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I love the fact that Sam was essentially denied a loan because he was snapped out of existence for five years and thus had no income..
The MCU sounds like it was a pretty terrible place after the snap and before people came back.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Sam is going to get such a passive aggressive text message from Steve later.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Calling it now, this season ends by revealing that Steve is on the moon.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Oasx posted:

I love the fact that Sam was essentially denied a loan because he was snapped out of existence for five years and thus had no income..
The MCU sounds like it was a pretty terrible place after the snap and before people came back.

This is extremely my poo poo. I just want to see people dealing with petty every day bullshit because of the blip. Like I bet everyone who blipped got their bank accounts closed and assets given over to inheritors. How much of a nightmare is that going to be. B

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel bad for the girl Bucky met. What a let down of a date. :( I hope she meets someone nice.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

stev posted:

Nah, if in the actual real-world the fictional character The Falcon is an IP with enough recognition to headline a Disney TV show then in a fictional world where he could actually fly he'd be worth 1000x that.

I get why in a narrative sense it isn't like that though,

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hope this sinister red hand terrorist group does something evil soon because so far their crimes are

a) robbing a posh-looking bank
b) trying to create a world without borders
c) beating up a US intelligence operative

they seem pretty cool to me

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So is Falcon not allowed to use guns anymore. or what? He used to shoot at people all the time, now he just outsources his kills to gravity/his murder drone?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Piell posted:

So is Falcon not allowed to use guns anymore. or what? He used to shoot people all the time, now he just outsources his kills to gravity/his murder drone?

He did blow up a helicopter with people inside of it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Piell posted:

So is Falcon not allowed to use guns anymore. or what? He used to shoot at people all the time, now he just outsources his kills to gravity/his murder drone?

When you're on a rescue mission, the fewer bullets that are flying around the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Happy that GSP/Batroc survived and would expect him in more episodes. Really sweet double leg in that fight

Figured it would have been more fast action packed of an episode but really digging them getting into their personal life/relationships and what's going on them them.