Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Does anybody know what's going on with the imax version of Batman v Superman? I was catching up by watching it and there were scenes in the imax aspect ratio when I started it in the morning but after I got off work it's back to the theatrical ratio.

e: wait, now it's back again after pausing it and restarting. Very weird.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm loving reading the bewildered reactions of former haters that enjoyed it. We now live on planet Snyderdome.

I particularly liked a take I saw warning people not to praise it too much as "Snyder movies contain some kind of magic factor that tricks you into liking it".

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Almost Blue posted:

Does anybody know what's going on with the imax version of Batman v Superman? I was catching up by watching it and there were scenes in the imax aspect ratio when I started it in the morning but after I got off work it's back to the theatrical ratio.

e: wait, now it's back again after pausing it and restarting. Very weird.

Wait, you found the IMAX version? Where? I checked multiple times today and only ever found the regular Ultimate Edition.

WB has really hosed this launch. We have no info on Blu-Rays for ZSJL or IMAX BvS, and that 30-minute making of doc isn’t up either.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm loving reading the bewildered reactions of former haters that enjoyed it. We now live on planet Snyderdome.

Me.

I did enjoy Man of Steel, although I was late to the game and watched it several years later. I watched BvS in theaters and thought it was a huge mess. I really don’t enjoy superhero movies and try to avoid them when I can because they just tend to be soulless marketing things that lack all creative vision. This was great. Loved it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Pirate Jet posted:

Wait, you found the IMAX version? Where? I checked multiple times today and only ever found the regular Ultimate Edition.

WB has really hosed this launch. We have no info on Blu-Rays for ZSJL or IMAX BvS, and that 30-minute making of doc isn’t up either.

It's the same copy I got from blu-ray as a download on iTunes. It's just replaced the regular version now, and it isn't labeled as different or anything which is strange. Both cuts.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

I particularly liked a take I saw warning people not to praise it too much as "Snyder movies contain some kind of magic factor that tricks you into liking it".

mf talking like Zack discovered the Anti-Life Equation

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I love MoS, and thought Ultimate BvS was very good, but this Justice League is fantastic (2 hours in; I have a busy life). It’s everything I love about Snyder mixed with some of the things I enjoy about the more recent MCU movies. I completely understand how this could be the first one someone enjoyed. He’s hit an incredible balance of drama and humor with incredible visuals.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, I liked MoS (especially on re-watch) but BvS absolutely lost me.

The Snyder Cut rules and crushes the theatrical version so hard that it retroactively makes Whedon seem like an even worse director, no actually a worse PERSON.

Snyder restored so many nonwhite actors' parts to the movie, big and small, Jesus loving Christ it's literally psychotic what Whedon did. Might a well have just replaced Cyborg with a character called the White Hoody you absolute fuckman.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ruddiger posted:

Tried to watch them side by side in two separate browser windows but there’s so much removed and reordered I gave up after Arthur and Diana’s first scenes.

The openings are glaringly different in quality tho.

I have only watched the first two hours so far, and the most similar scenes to me where right at the start with Batman/Aquaman and later when Bruce and Barry meet Diana on the airfield. I thought "Wait, there was a quip here!" during the first and "This scene used to open with a close-up of Diana's rear end." during the second, it was a pretty funny experience.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, I liked MoS (especially on re-watch) but BvS absolutely lost me.

The Snyder Cut rules and crushes the theatrical version so hard that it retroactively makes Whedon seem like an even worse director, no actually a worse PERSON.

Snyder restored so many nonwhite actors' parts to the movie, big and small, Jesus loving Christ it's literally psychotic what Whedon did. Might a well have just replaced Cyborg with a character called the White Hoody you absolute fuckman.

Joss “WHITES ONLY” Whedon

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/BravelySolo/status/1372607636739387410

Gorn Myson posted:

Tbf, Snyder has only said flattering things about Whedon and his writing in interviews, but hes also said his cut will only use footage that he personally shot. So you're seeing stuff that Whedon wrote before Snyder quit.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Whedon wrote anything before Snyder left, did he? Whedon was brought in only after Snyder left, right?. So whatever is in the SnyderCut should have nothing from Whedon in it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have not heard of Whedon being involved in any capacity until Snyder left the project.

I'll admit there were definitely lines in the theatrical that I thought were Whedon lines that ended up being in ZSJL. I don't think Goyer was involved in this script.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have not heard of Whedon being involved in any capacity until Snyder left the project.

I'll admit there were definitely lines in the theatrical that I thought were Whedon lines that ended up being in ZSJL. I don't think Goyer was involved in this script.

Right when things were getting really rocky, WB was floating they were bringing Whedon in to funny up the dialogue. Then Zacks daughter died and the split happened and Whedon directed and changed half the movie.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Zack Snyder looks at DC heroes with the same awe and reverence and "THIS IS BAD rear end SHIIIIIT" I had as a child and it shines through this movie on a level no other director has ever gotten a chance to express or nail so loving perfectly visually.

I cannot even begin to express how well this nailed the feeling of just pouring through a big beefy fat trade collection/graphic novel and just eating up every loving morsel of sick comic book poo poo on page/screen.

I cannot loving believe WB/DC did him dirty this bad when this is 4 hours of "I absolutely think your guys IP is the coolest poo poo ever".

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 19, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AccountSupervisor posted:

Zack Snyder looks at DC heroes with the same awe and reverence and "THIS IS BAD rear end SHIIIIIT" I had as a child and it shines through this movie on a level no other director has ever gotten a chance to express or nail so loving perfectly visually.

I cannot even begin to express how well this nailed the feeling of just pouring through a big beefy fat trade collection/graphic novel and just eating up every loving morsel of sick comic book poo poo on page/screen.

I cannot loving believe WB/DC did him dirty this bad when this is 4 hours of "I absolutely think your guys IP is the coolest poo poo ever".

Remember the guy who used to run WB?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Every scene with the Flash was awesome. I loved the job interview scene so much.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gorn Myson posted:

Tbf, Snyder has only said flattering things about Whedon and his writing in interviews, but hes also said his cut will only use footage that he personally shot. So you're seeing stuff that Whedon wrote before Snyder quit.

There's also the fact that even the same dialogue delivered in the same way in the same scenes will play differently in a different movie. If Bruce says his superpower is being rich, then spends the rest of the movie getting used as a punching bag, he's actually being serious.

If, on the other hand, he puts on the most absurd clinic, exhibition ever of being Batman for like 90 minutes straight, not so much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Necrothatcher posted:

The real dome was the friends we made along the way

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

McCloud posted:

mf talking like Zack discovered the Anti-Life Equation

ANTI-TASTE IS FOUND, DESAAD, AND WE WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO POSSESS IT

ALL WILL BOW... BEFORE DUDEBRO

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I thought it was really touching that Snyder included a song from Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree - an album about Cave trying to process the sudden death of one of his kids.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Zack Snyder hands WB "Super Hero Lord of the Rings" and they spit on it like it was a loving joke.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Necrothatcher posted:

I thought it was really touching that Snyder included a song from Nick Cave's Skeleton Tree - an album about Cave trying to process the sudden death of one of his kids.

Everything about the film really felt like a cathartic experience, even for me as just a lowly fan. I can only imagine how much the film being complete means to Zack. More so now that it's shared with the world and it being received the way it has been by everyone.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

AccountSupervisor posted:

Zack Snyder hands WB "Super Hero Lord of the Rings" and they spit on it like it was a loving joke.

This is a really good comparison IMO. I had the same vague idea when I watched the first big action scene with the Amazons being awesome.

BvS even has a Cave Troll fight! :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

sean10mm posted:

This is a really good comparison IMO. I had the same vague idea when I watched the first big action scene with the Amazons being awesome.

Synder and co. very much wanted Justice League to have Lord of the Rings vibes. LOTR is explicitly mentioned in the Jim Lee illustrated storyboards for the film.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I put this in the other thread, but yeah Synder's JL is Lord of the Rings.

The Age of Heroes flashback plays out like the Lord of the Rings prologue, and so does the rest of the film.

A grand alliance of Elves/Gods and Men/Men come together to defeat Sauron/Darkseid whom loses the fight as he underestimated those he believed to be beneath him. Sauron/Darkseid loses his source of true power the One Ring/Motherboxes.

Thousands of years later the One Ring/Motherboxes wake up and begins calling out for their master who sends out the Nazgul/Steppenwolf to retrieve them so Sauron/Darkseid can be made whole again/merge his world with Earth. To stop Sauron/Darkseid a fellowship/justice league is formed to destroy the One Ring/Motherboxes and save Middle Earth/Earth.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Best Buy has a listing for a new BVS release 3/23, no box art but I’m assuming it’s that

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, it's bananas to me. In this film alone, you can make like several spin-offs.

Snyder handed WB a huge set-up and they wanted nothing to do with it. I expect nothing less from the people who sold their share of the 1 billion box office hit The Joker.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, it's bananas to me. In this film alone, you can make like several spin-offs.

Snyder handed WB a huge set-up and they wanted nothing to do with it. I expect nothing less from the people who sold their share of the 1 billion box office hit The Joker.

They had to sell their share, otherwise they would risk bring associated with all the mass shootings it was sure to inspire.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

There’s plenty of blame to go around, Johns was rewriting Terrio’s work before Wheadon was officially onboard, though iirc WB was consulting with’em before he was officially onboard? There’s also that thing where Terrio apparently said, why don’t you just try using some of my lines. Like, Zack was apparently shooting some scene’s two ways, theirs and his during the project. Though no doubt in a pick your battles sort of way on the stuff he felt strongly enough about having to fight for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSkbw1Hsg0

Though, take the example CelticPredator pointed out with the graveyard, but if you get a chance, pull up the scene from the movie and compare it to the theatrical version. Willing to admit i’m wrong about this, but I don’t think it’s Snyder’s footage.

Like, it could be an example of shooting it both ways, but the whole thing feels too similar to the scene where Aruthur throws a guy down on a table, where the reshoot is trying to imitate Snyder’s footage - it’s just off and Arthur and Diana are gone.

WB had the final say on all this and most importantly how they dealt with all the poo poo Fisher and others went through - which doesn’t just lie at the feet of Wheadon.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

sean10mm posted:

As someone with a LotR tattoo, have pilgrimaged to Tolkiens grave and is extremely into DC and Snyder I cannot even tell you how so so so enraged I am that they tried to stop this from coming out and may have stopped this story from ever finishing.

Like what the gently caress, they coulda one uped Marvel with this and that would have recontexualized the entire cultural conversation around stuff like IW/Endgame.

They HAD IT. Snyder loving handed them the equation to compete with Disney/Marvel and they hosed. it. up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How come regular joes Barry and Victor have to do the gravedigging while superhero royalty Diana and Arthur are just chit-chatting by the van anyway? Lousy poshos.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

brawleh posted:

There’s plenty of blame to go around, Johns was rewriting Terrio’s work before Wheadon was officially onboard, though iirc WB was consulting with’em before he was officially onboard? There’s also that thing where Terrio apparently said, why don’t you just try using some of my lines. Like, Zack was apparently shooting some scene’s two ways, theirs and his during the project. Though no doubt in a pick your battles sort of way on the stuff he felt strongly enough about having to fight for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOSkbw1Hsg0

Though, take the example CelticPredator pointed out with the graveyard, but if you get a chance, pull up the scene from the movie and compare it to the theatrical version. Willing to admit i’m wrong about this, but I don’t think it’s Snyder’s footage.

Like, it could be an example of shooting it both ways, but the whole thing feels too similar to the scene where Aruthur throws a guy down on a table, where the reshoot is trying to imitate Snyder’s footage - it’s just off and Arthur and Diana are gone.

WB had the final say on all this and most importantly how they dealt with all the poo poo Fisher and others went through - which doesn’t just lie at the feet of Wheadon.

Wonder Woman also doesn't show up behind Batman in that scene in the Synder cut.(Because she's suppose to be in the van with the others )

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

"We could do this in nanoseconds, you know" is such a great small little moment of respect shown towards Clark and how they do not take exhuming him lightly at all and the way they reword it to be such a meh line in Whedons is so god drat annoying.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 19, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In case anyone thinks it's all love for Snyder, I saw two people I know comment in response to the ZSJL release that Snyder is like the guy who just murdered eight people in Atlanta.

That's so hosed up on multiple levels I still don't really know how to respond to that.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

In case anyone thinks it's all love for Snyder, I saw two people I know comment in response to the ZSJL release that Snyder is like the guy who just murdered eight people in Atlanta.

That's so hosed up on multiple levels I still don't really know how to respond to that.

Don’t read Reddit.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Would a Justice League series on HBO Max cost more than the Marvel series on Disney Plus? I want this to happen so badly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

There's also the fact that even the same dialogue delivered in the same way in the same scenes will play differently in a different movie. If Bruce says his superpower is being rich, then spends the rest of the movie getting used as a punching bag, he's actually being serious.

If, on the other hand, he puts on the most absurd clinic, exhibition ever of being Batman for like 90 minutes straight, not so much.

The “I’m rich” line has a better setup in the Snyder version as he uses money to diffuse the first scene with Aquaman whereas in the Whedon cut, he diffuses the situation by... stating out loud what was being implied in their conversation.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Chairman Capone posted:

The Geeks & Gamers team, who Zack distanced himself from while on their podcast, said that they are putting out a video that will explain how Zack's "nihilistic world view" is what caused Autumn to take her own life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr. Apollo posted:

The Geeks & Gamers team, who Zack distanced himself from while on their podcast, said that they are putting out a video that will explain how Zack's "nihilistic world view" is what caused Autumn to take her own life.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

What the gently caress. There's not liking someone and then there's actively being malicious. I hope they get sued out of existence.