Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Socrates wouldn't even know what a tyre is.

The ancient city?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Save icon will be a floppy disk long after most people won't know what a floppy is.

It's funny - there was a very brief window of time during the period when usability really started to be taken more seriously by various people that there was active discussion about getting rid of the floppy as a save icon, because after all, nobody used it and what good is an image of it doesn't mean anything anymore.

Then a few years later, the UX guides were like "here's the thing - everybody knows it means save even if they never saw a floppy disk, and there really isn't a more effective icon."

That's why I'm the year 25864, they will still use the floppy as a save icon.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's funny - there was a very brief window of time during the period when usability really started to be taken more seriously by various people that there was active discussion about getting rid of the floppy as a save icon, because after all, nobody used it and what good is an image of it doesn't mean anything anymore.

Then a few years later, the UX guides were like "here's the thing - everybody knows it means save even if they never saw a floppy disk, and there really isn't a more effective icon."

This is also why road signs tend to be frozen in whatever time they were standardised in terms of iconography.

Here in the UK, the signage we have now was drawn up in 1963, so the standardised depiction of 'a car' (in front or profile) is based on a big-selling model of Ford which went out of production in 1962, the sign warning of a railway crossing (without gates) is a steam locomotive and the sign for a crossing with gates is a symbol of a wooden picket fence. The sign warning of children on/near the road shows a boy and girl in 1950s fashion and the one for 'workforce in road' shows a burly man sticking a shovel into a pile of asphalt while bereft of modern PPE. If you're near a military training area you might see a sign warning of a tank crossing point, depicting a tank straight out of WW1, and there's a sign in the catalogue to warn of slow-moving horse-drawn carts on the road. The sign warning of a speed camera shows a big Victorian-style plate glass camera.

The accuracy of the depictions doesn't matter, of course, just that the symbols are standardised and understood. The fact that speed cameras have never looked remotely like a Victorian camera isn't the point - it's a distinctive symbol that everyone knows means 'speed camera ahead'.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I've gotten stuck behind a horse-drawn cart in rural Pennsylvania once. I had scoffed at one of the signs a few minutes before.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've gotten stuck behind a horse-drawn cart in rural Pennsylvania once. I had scoffed at one of the signs a few minutes before.
Well, that's just lovely. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BalloonFish posted:

the one for 'workforce in road' shows a burly man sticking a shovel into a pile of asphalt while bereft of modern PPE.

That’s a man struggling with an umbrella and you know it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Well, that's just lovely. :allears:

No it's not the Amish are a loving menace.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can learn more than Socrates knew in his entire life in 15 minutes online

Well, Socrates famously knew nothing at all.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Alhazred posted:

Well, Socrates famously knew nothing at all.

Well, get this: I know even less! That makes me the smartest philosopher on the world.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And yet you don't know how to change a tire. Curious.
jack up the car utilizing the special jacking points in the frame, which are probably indented or something so I can find them, undo the bolts, get the spare out, bolt it on, being careful to not do the bolts in order around the wheel but crosswise. That about right? Never done it, don't even have a license. Tell me how I'll die :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

jack up the car utilizing the special jacking points in the frame, which are probably indented or something so I can find them, undo the bolts, get the spare out, bolt it on, being careful to not do the bolts in order around the wheel but crosswise. That about right? Never done it, don't even have a license. Tell me how I'll die :v:

Incorrect. That is how you change a wheel.

(Last time I had a flat I spent ten minutes figuring out which way up the spevial jack that came with the car was supposed to go)

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

My Lovely Horse posted:

An important bit to remember is to break the lug nuts loose by a quarter turn or so before jacking such that you don't knock the vehicle off the jack trying to get them loose once the wheel is in the air.

After replacing the flat I also finger tighten the lug nuts and then give a little yank on them with the wrench while the wheel is still in the air to help seat them properly.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

Ever notice the folder icon? I hadn't seen a real physical file folder until i started my current career in 2017, where for historical reasons we had a couple of cupboards full of them (in the bathroom lobby no less).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BonHair posted:

Ever notice the folder icon? I hadn't seen a real physical file folder until i started my current career in 2017, where for historical reasons we had a couple of cupboards full of them (in the bathroom lobby no less).
lol if your mom didn't steal file folders from her white-collar job to keep in her actual physical metal goddamn file cabinet where she stores all her tax information and stuff

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can learn more than Socrates knew in his entire life in 15 minutes online

Is this intentional, or did you just get owned by Socrates?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Socrates was pretty much like "bitch, you ain't need no knowledge, as long as y'all motherfucks got WISDOM"

True story.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: that might actually be thread relevant, because aren't modern tires a hell of a lot more robust? I've never had a flat and I drove cross-continent multiple times as a dumbass kid (ie like four years ago) without doing any maintenance at all, never until recently took the tire pressure light seriously, never in my life have a had a flat or blowout or had anyone in my family or friend group have a flat. One blowout among them on a 20+ year old piece of poo poo.

I recall a stretch where I had to change 3 tires in 5 days. To be fair, these were very small, very lovely tires for my very old car. Still, I got really loving good at changing a tire. So maybe the tech is better now. Or maybe I'm just not buying $30 new tires anymore.

But yeah, kids these days would probably be perplexed at all the flat tires in movies. "Did you guys drive on nails ALL the time?"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Me browsing the Yu-Gi-Oh wiki:
Socrates didn't even know what a Blue Eyes White Dragon is. What a moron

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: that might actually be thread relevant, because aren't modern tires a hell of a lot more robust? I've never had a flat and I drove cross-continent multiple times as a dumbass kid (ie like four years ago) without doing any maintenance at all, never until recently took the tire pressure light seriously, never in my life have a had a flat or blowout or had anyone in my family or friend group have a flat. One blowout among them on a 20+ year old piece of poo poo.

Yes, and there are also things like run flat tires now. I've personally never had a flat in ~20 years of driving, but my wife managed to hit a nasty pothole a few winters ago and pop one of the tires on my car. It has run flat tires, which let you keep driving on a flat for 100 miles or so as long as you're careful and don't go too fast, so she was able to limp the car home.

My grandfather did a lot of research and development on various plastics and rubbers in the 50s through the 80s and he still keeps up on the industry despite being 94. I could probably reach out to him and ask what's changed and receive a very detailed answer, but I prefer not interacting with my family when I can avoid it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Honestly greek philosophers had the dumbest deaths.
Socrates, cause of death: Believing that the state is always right. Even when they executed him.
Chrysippus of Soli, cause of death: Laughing so hard of his own dad joke that he died.
Pythagoras, cause of death: Would rather be killed by an angry mob than running into a field of beans.
Archimedes, cause of death: Being a smartass to an armed soldier.
Plato, cause of death: Thought of ants.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Honestly greek philosophers had the dumbest deaths.
Socrates, cause of death: Believing that the state is always right. Even when they executed him.
Chrysippus of Soli, cause of death: Laughing so hard of his own dad joke that he died.
Pythagoras, cause of death: Would rather be killed by an angry mob than running into a field of beans.
Archimedes, cause of death: Being a smartass to an armed soldier.
Plato, cause of death: Thought of ants.

The founders of Western Civilization. Brightest minds of the past 4000 years.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

This is now my life goal.

As for tyres, I know that bicycle tyres have massively improves in the last 20 or so years. I learned how to mend the tyre as a kid, and on any longer trip I'd bring my kit in case I hit a nail. Then came Kevlar tyres recycle reduced punctures by a lot, and nowadays you get something even better. My current bike has had like one punctured tyre in 3 years of daily use in the city.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had like four flats in two years from 2014-2016 when I had to drive a lot on the Palisades Parkway, which was basically all potholes all the time.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

lol if your mom didn't steal file folders from her white-collar job to keep in her actual physical metal goddamn file cabinet where she stores all her tax information and stuff

Get out of my house!!!

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Captain Monkey posted:

The founders of Western Civilization. Brightest minds of the past 4000 years.

Dudes rock

435 BCE – According to legend, Empedocles leapt to his death into the crater of Etna.
420 BCE – According to some reports, Protagoras died in a shipwreck.
399 BCE – Socrates, condemned to death for corrupting the young, drank hemlock amongst his friends as described in Plato’s Phaedo.
348 BCE – Plato either died while being serenaded by a Thracian flute-playing girl, at a wedding feast, or in his sleep.
338 BCE – According to legend, Isocrates starved himself to death.
323 BCE – Accounts differ regarding the death of Diogenes of Sinope. He is alleged to have died from eating raw octopus, from being bitten by a dog, and from holding his breath. He left instructions for his corpse to be left outside the city walls as a feast for the animals and birds.
320 BCE – Ancient sources tell us that Nicocreon the tyrant had Anaxarchus pounded to death in a mortar with iron pestles; Anaxarchus is said to have made light of the punishment.
314 BCE – Xenocrates died when he hit his head after tripping over a bronze pot.
270 BCE – Epicurus died of kidney stones.
262 BCE – Zeno of Citium founder of the Stoic philosophical school tripped and broke his toe and then died from holding his breath.
212 BCE – Archimedes killed during the Siege of Syracuse by a Roman soldier despite orders that he should not be harmed.
207 BCE – Chrysippus is said to have died from laughter after giving wine to his donkey and seeing it attempt to eat figs.
52 BCE – Lucretius is alleged to have killed himself after being driven mad by taking a love potion.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

Save icon will be a floppy disk long after most people won't know what a floppy is.

Funny you should mention this. I'm a 38 year old manager and several of my coworkers are still in high school. I decided to ask each one of them what the save icon was a picture of. They gave me bewildered looks.

I explained what a floppy disk was, and they looked like I'd grown a second head. So last weekend I ordered a USB 3.5" drive and some disks. Put a README. txt file on there that said, "Hello, world!"

Gave them out today. They seemed genuinely surprised, like I was just messing with them.

EDIT: it brought back a lot of memories hearing that click and the drive spinning up. Haven't heard that 20+ years.

One Nut Wonder fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 19, 2021

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

One Nut Wonder posted:

Funny you should mention this. I'm a 38 year old manager and several of my coworkers are still in high school. I decided to ask each one of them what the save icon was a picture of. They gave me bewildered looks.

I explained what a floppy disk was, and they looked like I'd grown a second head. So last weekend I ordered a USB 3.5" drive and some disks. Put a README. txt file on there that said, "Hello, world!"

Gave them out today. They seemed genuinely surprised, like I was just messing with them.

Did their heads explode when you told them that those disks store about 100,000 times less than a USB thumb drive?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I have an old old memory of taking a drill to a stack of 720k discs to turn them into incredibly-unreliable 1.44mb discs.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

There was a time when you'd get whole games on a couple of floppies.

If I remember rightly Duke Nukem 3d came on 3 floppy disks for example.

Then there was a period in between that and full CD ROM times when developers desperately wanted to use more memory but couldn't count on people actually having a CD ROM drive yet so you'd get games/software and it would come on 20-50 floppy disks.

They were not good times.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

There was a time when you'd get whole games on a couple of floppies.

Entire games on a single floppy, playable without installing. Sometimes even multiple games. That's how I played most games in the 90s until I got my own PC, my parents didn't want games installed on the family PC.

As far as I remember, Aliens Ate My Babysitter was the first Commander Keen game that didn't fit on a 720K floppy.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 19, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone else remember having two floppy disk drives so you could have both discs in at once and not have to keep swapping? That was a luxury.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Vietnamwees posted:

I just watched an episode of Mad About You where they make a videotape for their daughter on her 18th birthday, but its on tape, as an VHS VIDEOTAPE.

Ok Genius, what is the correct answer? My dad is moving old pictures and home movies to DVD...which is now obsolescent. My current PC does not have an optical drive and I have 100 CD's I can't import to iTunes until I remove it from my old dead PC to the new one.

When I stick them in the cloud I now have to pay for that storage now AND it's format probably won't be readable format for my 3 year old to be able to watch when he's 18 either.

I'm serious here- What's the answer to this problem? I am not storing nuclear waste for the next 10,000 years here. Upload it to Youtube and have THEM care about the format and storage?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Comstar posted:

Ok Genius, what is the correct answer? My dad is moving old pictures and home movies to DVD...which is now obsolescent. My current PC does not have an optical drive and I have 100 CD's I can't import to iTunes until I remove it from my old dead PC to the new one.

When I stick them in the cloud I now have to pay for that storage now AND it's format probably won't be readable format for my 3 year old to be able to watch when he's 18 either.

I'm serious here- What's the answer to this problem? I am not storing nuclear waste for the next 10,000 years here. Upload it to Youtube and have THEM care about the format and storage?

This is a legitimate problem. Physical removable storage "rots" quickly even if stored optimally. Most magnetic disks from the 90s are unusable now. Writable CDs and DVDs only last for about 10-15 years -- the dyes that they use break down. That's totally aside from the fact that there's no guarantee that a popular file format today will still be readable by common software in the future and that the physical devices themselves break down or simply just use interfaces that are no longer supported. Remember PCMCIA/PC Card? Remember ISA? VLB? AGP? And so on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Store it on a NAS or external hard drive and have multiple copies, with at least one being off-site. As storage mediums progress and are replaced, move the data to newer formats, always keeping multiple copies, ideally on several different types of storage media.

Data archival and storage is not a "set it and forget" type thing, it's a continuous process and there will be some maintenance involved.

As an example, I have my most important data stored on my NAS here at home. It has several disks in a Btrfs RAID1 setup, so it can tolerate at least one complete disk failure. From there, the data is mirrored to a pCloud account, and I do a manual backup every couple of weeks to an external hard drive, which I keep in my locker at work.

99% of the time, all of this takes care of itself and the manual backup only takes plugging in the USB drive and running a script. But the NAS won't last forever, the disks in it won't last forever and at some point all protocols and connectors become obsolete. But by having a little bit of hands-on time with your storage just once in a while, you don't fall into the trap of burning something to a DVD and having it be completely unreadable (for whatever reason) in 30 years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Clearly we need to find a way to write information to radioactive waste.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Digital rot is a problem, but there are so many copies of everything now that it's unlikely much will be lost to time. I'm pretty sure only a couple of people had the equipment and forethought to record the Star Wars Christmas Special and for the first 30+ years it was still rare and difficult to find. Then everything went digital and now that's the poo poo future archeologists are going to judge us on.

Comstar posted:

Any digital format will be readable somewhere so you're best option is keeping it in the cloud, even if that costs money. For redundancy you upload it to TWO cloud storage options.

And yeah, there's a cost. Essentially we got rid of the upfront cost (film/tape) and substituted it for a backend expense (storage). We're probably still coming out ahead money-wise. I used to spend hundreds of dollars a year on film and prints or DV camcorder tapes. Now I spend $250 a year on cloud storage that I use for other stuff as well.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No it's not the Amish are a loving menace.
The irony of seeing a sign, boggling at it, and then getting to experience the thing the sign warned about, is what's lovely. :allears:

The Lone Badger posted:

Anyone else remember having two floppy disk drives so you could have both discs in at once and not have to keep swapping? That was a luxury.
The original PC spec from IBM had dual floppy drives on one controller; it was all the PC clones that tried to undersell each other, which led to things like the secondary floppy drive being removed, as well as ECC memory going the way of the dodo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

This is a legitimate problem. Physical removable storage "rots" quickly even if stored optimally. Most magnetic disks from the 90s are unusable now. Writable CDs and DVDs only last for about 10-15 years -- the dyes that they use break down. That's totally aside from the fact that there's no guarantee that a popular file format today will still be readable by common software in the future and that the physical devices themselves break down or simply just use interfaces that are no longer supported. Remember PCMCIA/PC Card? Remember ISA? VLB? AGP? And so on.

I had all of the 30 Second Bunny Theater shorts on a hard drive and decided to see if I could still watch them.

Nope. They were Flash cartoons and even VLC won't play them. I even had a third-party Flash player on an older computer and it didn't work either.

The website still shows the videos and I was able to grab them as MP4s.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
thank you for reminding me of 30 second bunnies, i was thinking about the reservoir dogs one literally a day ago and couldn’t remember the name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

The original PC spec from IBM had dual floppy drives on one controller; it was all the PC clones that tried to undersell each other, which led to things like the secondary floppy drive being removed, as well as ECC memory going the way of the dodo.

This is true - think about how many of your early PCs had B:\ drives. And why we still use C:\ for the first hard drive today