Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I will see if I can find anything. My instinct is there had to be a credit system, I don't see how you could do the kind of empire-wide business that happened in Rome without it. I don't think merchants were literally carrying talents of silver from Gaul to Egypt all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Was there a use of credit in ancient Rome?

We're watching Plebs and overall they've been more accurate than we were expecting (they get the thumbs up /thumbs down correct, etc) but there is an episode where a credit card features prominently. Google has been absolutely useless and filled with conflicting articles. Is the gold Egyptian credit card in the episode a complete fiction, or were there letters of credit, or what?

Not so much a credit card, but informal IOU type stuff and even letters of credit absolutely existed. There’s a funny bit in Ovid’s Art of Love where he talks about how you can’t claim you have no cash for a present on your girlfriend’s birthday, she’ll just make you buy on credit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There was for sure business banking, there are interest rate laws all the way back to the Twelve Tables.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Plebs isn't perfect, I remember they use the "gladiator contests were to the death" trope eventually. Would the credit system also be tied to the patronage system? I feel like the high level players are constantly loaning each other money.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CoolCab posted:

Plebs isn't perfect, I remember they use the "gladiator contests were to the death" trope eventually. Would the credit system also be tied to the patronage system? I feel like the high level players are constantly loaning each other money.

Yeah their basic rule seems to be "accurate unless something else would be funnier" which is fine but means they're accurate in weird places you don't expect because *someone* is clearly doing research and choosing to veer off of it consciously.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All the basic instruments of economics are way older than people realize. Check out hammurabi's code for instance.

100] . . . interest for the money, as much as he has received, he shall give a note therefor, and on the day, when they settle, pay to the merchant.

[101] If there are no mercantile arrangements in the place whither he went, he shall leave the entire amount of money which he received with the broker to give to the merchant.

[102] If a merchant entrust money to an agent (broker) for some investment, and the broker suffer a loss in the place to which he goes, he shall make good the capital to the merchant.

[103] If, while on the journey, an enemy take away from him anything that he had, the broker shall swear by God and be free of obligation.

[104] If a merchant give an agent corn, wool, oil, or any other goods to transport, the agent shall give a receipt for the amount, and compensate the merchant therefor. Then he shall obtain a receipt form the merchant for the money that he gives the merchant.

[105] If the agent is careless, and does not take a receipt for the money which he gave the merchant, he can not consider the unreceipted money as his own.

[106] If the agent accept money from the merchant, but have a quarrel with the merchant (denying the receipt), then shall the merchant swear before God and witnesses that he has given this money to the agent, and the agent shall pay him three times the sum.

[107] If the merchant cheat the agent, in that as the latter has returned to him all that had been given him, but the merchant denies the receipt of what had been returned to him, then shall this agent convict the merchant before God and the judges, and if he still deny receiving what the agent had given him shall pay six times the sum to the agent.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Philogelos has a joke (#80) that goes like this (with some license)

A dimwitted heir is travelling by sea. One night, a terrible storm comes up, and the other passengers start throwing their luggage overboard to stay afloat. They look to him, and he says, "Fine, I'll help."

He pulls out his bank draft for 150k, and throws it overboard. "See? I lightened this ship more than all of you combined!"

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

So what sort of armour could you expect to be worn by the various non-Romans involved in the Third Mithridatic War? Thinking especially about Greeks, Thracians, Galatians, Armenians.

Similar stuff from what they wore earlier in the Hellenistic period. The linothorax, a hardened linen breastplate, was ubiquitous and mail would have been popular with the galatians and wealthier Pontic/Greek/Thracian troops. A lot of soldiers would have gone out without much more than a helmet, though: I don't think any of the anatolian states had professional militaries on the scale of the Marian legions, but everyone was still using mercenaries.

Edit: scale had also come into fashion, especially with cavalry. Most cataphracts used scale armor and I'm pretty sure Pontus had some.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 19, 2021

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Was there a use of credit in ancient Rome?

We're watching Plebs and overall they've been more accurate than we were expecting (they get the thumbs up /thumbs down correct, etc) but there is an episode where a credit card features prominently. Google has been absolutely useless and filled with conflicting articles. Is the gold Egyptian credit card in the episode a complete fiction, or were there letters of credit, or what?

I thought the thumbs up/down thing was unknown as to which meant which.

The following link mostly deals with credit in Egypt and Mesopotamia at an earlier time but does touch briefly on classical Greece and Rome.

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2018/04/michael-hudson-origins-money-interest-palatial-credit-not-barter.html

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Debt: The First 5000 Year's thesis is that loose bonds of credit and obligation within communities pre-date the formation of barter and currency and coinage. It's a natural intuitive understanding by humans. So yes, an Innkeeper in the Bible allowing a fellow member of their community to accumulate a tab is a completely natural and intuitive agreement between the two.

More advance, formalized systems of debt and credit really only arise once states start being formed, when men with monopolies of power can enforce those debts. Of course, their judgements are very very good for the wealthiest members of that society.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Credit is a trust in a future transaction and in a way even a hand-to-hand barter contains that type of trust. If you want to trade a mammoth T-bone for a flint knife, someone usually has to let go first. It turns into what we recognise as credit once the time between each hand letting go becomes longer.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

and the smallest coins had so much value that tabs were essential. there wasn't a coin you could use to pay just one pint. i guess you could have carried a sack of grain around, and barter

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

FishFood posted:

Similar stuff from what they wore earlier in the Hellenistic period. The linothorax, a hardened linen breastplate, was ubiquitous and mail would have been popular with the galatians and wealthier Pontic/Greek/Thracian troops. A lot of soldiers would have gone out without much more than a helmet, though: I don't think any of the anatolian states had professional militaries on the scale of the Marian legions, but everyone was still using mercenaries.

Edit: scale had also come into fashion, especially with cavalry. Most cataphracts used scale armor and I'm pretty sure Pontus had some.

Are the iron breastplates, like the one in Philip II's tomb still kicking around? I can't remember if that was meant to be an example of phalangite armour or something like a linothorax reproduced in iron. What about the little baby breastplates the hastati had? Anybody else use those?

Also, are there any good resources for reading about urban life in the late republic outside of Rome? Somewhere like idk Philippi or Massilia or Syracuse?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ChubbyChecker posted:

and the smallest coins had so much value that tabs were essential. there wasn't a coin you could use to pay just one pint. i guess you could have carried a sack of grain around, and barter

I believe the custom of the time was an onion

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not a white onion either, one of those big yellow ones. On account of the war

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Also, are there any good resources for reading about urban life in the late republic outside of Rome? Somewhere like idk Philippi or Massilia or Syracuse?

yeah I'd like ancient urban history recs too

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

PittTheElder posted:

Can you expand a bit on this? Where one more difficult to acquire than the other or something?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nah, it was just the style at the time to wear one on your belt. And nickels had pictures of bumblebees on them. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dalael posted:

Can you expand a bit on this? Where one more difficult to acquire than the other or something?

The story begins in 6-dickity-2 BC. They had to say dickity because Ashurbanipal had stolen their word for fifty

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
500 years from now some PhD student is going to try and get a dissertation out of this thread and I wish I could be there to see it. I wonder which shitposting will be correctly recognized and which will woosh over the head of that future historian.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shamashshumukin chased that rascal to get it back, but he cramped up after just dickity-six kus.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

What did the black sea greeks do for a living?

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 19, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PittTheElder posted:

It is said that throughout the history of Rome he white onions were only used once.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sarern posted:

500 years from now some PhD student is going to try and get a dissertation out of this thread and I wish I could be there to see it. I wonder which shitposting will be correctly recognized and which will woosh over the head of that future historian.

I worry about the number of sarcastic statements that may have been faithfully recorded as real History.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chamale posted:

I worry about the number of sarcastic statements that may have been faithfully recorded as real History.

I mean, for a long time The Prince was taken at face value.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I mean, for a long time The Prince was taken at face value.

I mean you can even find people who take it seriously today!

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Are the iron breastplates, like the one in Philip II's tomb still kicking around? I can't remember if that was meant to be an example of phalangite armour or something like a linothorax reproduced in iron. What about the little baby breastplates the hastati had? Anybody else use those?

The little baby breastplates are pretty strictly Italian, Italian arms and armor were their own little ecosystem for a while. The iron breastplate I wasn't familiar with before, but its form is nearly identical to a linothorax. I'm not sure if the consensus is that it was a relatively unique piece or if other armor like that would have been used. At a glance, this online article seems to be well sourced and has more information about greek armor of the period.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Chamale posted:

Hundreds of years from now there will be debates about whether the year 2020 really happened.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
And i'm sorry, that onion thing was just good enough i thought it might have been a thing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Chamale posted:

Probably not very common. A whole lot of societies even today don't really do sarcasm. It's kind of a weird thing!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

paragon1 posted:

Probably not very common. A whole lot of societies even today don't really do sarcasm. It's kind of a weird thing!

...is this sarcasm?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

paragon1 posted:

It's so weird, particularly when we do it so well.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

paragon1 posted:

We have done the lead poisoning thing about Rome, but have we considered irony poisoning?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

FishFood posted:

The little baby breastplates are pretty strictly Italian, Italian arms and armor were their own little ecosystem for a while. The iron breastplate I wasn't familiar with before, but its form is nearly identical to a linothorax. I'm not sure if the consensus is that it was a relatively unique piece or if other armor like that would have been used. At a glance, this online article seems to be well sourced and has more information about greek armor of the period.

Thanks! I gotta hunt down some of the artwork mentioned in the article.

When I was studying classics uh over a decade ago I went to Vergina and saw the cuirass and tomb and of course took an illicit picture without the guards noticing. Philip was the coolest dude in the classical world.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did velites have to buy their own wolf hat?

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Lawman 0 posted:

What did the black sea greeks do for a living?

A lot of them sold grain to Athens. Most of Athens's food supply in the 5th through 3rd centuries BC was imported from the Black Sea region.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

We have done the lead poisoning thing about Rome, but have we considered irony poisoning?

Irony poisoning is a real thing tho.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

There is an excellent book about Ptolemaic and Roman Alexandria called Alexandria Rediscovered. Its a British Museum publication with lots of big pictures, so it is a little bit pricey, but a lot of the images are pretty spectacular. It's not particularly focused on the Late Republican era, but it certainly discusses that time period.

I poked around a bit more for anything else that could more directly answer your question, but there doesn't seem to much in English about that subject. Finding stuff on cities outside of Rome and its vicinity, Egypt, and maybe Jerusalem/Judea from that time period will be difficult, since there is a major lack of written sources coming out of other places in the Roman world in the late republic. There is probably some archaeological stuff out there about this topic, but a lot of that will not be in English.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

FishFood posted:

What stood out to me in this article was the claim that iron armour would provide more protection than bronze. We've talked about differences in bronze and iron weapons, but does anybody have any knowledge to impart regarding armour? My only guess is the iron armour being thicker may be the deciding factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Weka posted:

What stood out to me in this article was the claim that iron armour would provide more protection than bronze. We've talked about differences in bronze and iron weapons, but does anybody have any knowledge to impart regarding armour? My only guess is the iron armour being thicker may be the deciding factor.

Iron is less dense than bronze, so you get the same protection for less weight or more protection for the same weight. It's also more ductile, so it will take a blow and deform whereas bronze will tend to break. Thus you have better protection from repeated blows in battle.