Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

teagone posted:

Re: Mile Dyson — Robot Style mentioned the Cyborg sequence where he learns of the potential of his powers as he listens to Silas over the tape recorder was inspired by The Matrix and it's possible that Joe Morton was directed to sound a bit like Morpheus when delivering his lines. The cadence and inflection of Morton's voice very much sounds like Morpheus explaining to Neo what the Matrix is—I thought that was neat.

There's a video on HBO Max where Snyder goes over his HBO Max pics and he talks about how floored he was by The Matrix.

He also says "It's deep" with regards to Rick & Morty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

teagone posted:

the Cyborg sequence where he learns of the potential of his powers as he listens to Silas over the tape recorder was inspired by The Matrix

The salt flat the sequence begins on was apparently called "the desert of the real" during production, so it's a pretty overt homage.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Roth posted:

There's a video on HBO Max where Snyder goes over his HBO Max pics and he talks about how floored he was by The Matrix.

Robot Style posted:

The salt flat the sequence begins on was apparently called "the desert of the real" during production, so it's a pretty overt homage.

:allears:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's always a treat when Robot Style posts stuff from production :3:

glad your work finally got to be viewed by the masses

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Couple questions.

1) Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of the differences between the ZSJL and JL2017?
2) Was anything that had been exclusive to 2017 that was kept for ZSJL?
3) Do we know what was done in the reshoots for ZSJL?

Robot Style posted:

Making Superman's dads Gladiator and Field of Dreams is also pretty telling about the cultures he comes from.

Robot Style, you have now worked on TWO movies I quite enjoyed that had extensive rejiggering somewhere in the process. :v:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Robot Style was it you that posted about working on Warchmen back in the day? I remember someone saying their coworker was rigging Dr. Manhattan’s doodle.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MJeff posted:

1) Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of the differences between the ZSJL and JL2017?

1: Not yet; it would be massive.

2: Nope.

3: Apparently just the Mad Max scene.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I watched it and honestly it was definitely a better movie. I saw the original cut not too long ago and it was balls rear end boring. Very indulgent but whatever, this might actually get some more justice league movies made.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

MJeff posted:

Couple questions.

1. I'm sure it won't be long.
2. Snyder said he'd destroy the film before allowing anything in it that wasn't shot by him
3. Martian Manhunter stuff, the Knightmare scene. The vision in the Cyborg ship may have re-used some Man of Steel footage of Cavill. If there's more, I'd love to know.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MJeff posted:

Part of the mythology around the movie is that Zack Snyder has never seen the theatrical version. His wife and Christopher Nolan watched it and begged him never to, like that Warner Herzog film where he begs a woman never to listen to the tape of her son being killed by bears

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

2house2fly posted:

Part of the mythology around the movie is that Zack Snyder has never seen the theatrical version.

Lucky him. :lol:

Much as I thought Aquaman touching the lasso of truth was cute, good lord, this movie is just so much better. Took five years to get a sequel to Batman v Superman but goddamn did I get it. If this is the last I see of Supercavill and Batfleck, for real this time, I'm much more okay with it than I was in 2017.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

One theory I’ve always had in the back of my head is Bruce Wayne is eventually dying from inhaling all the carcinogens from the collapse Wayne Building in Metropolis.

He's literally breathing in aerosolized lead in the BvS fight scene. No wonder people thought Batman wasn't making any sense in that movie!

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
Just finished watching: I liked it

The parts with martian manhunter where kinda rough and i really feel it robs something from the scene with Martha and Lois

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I have a bunch of stuff I wanna say about this movie, but I think the thing about it that sticks out to me most is just how much more this movie likes its cast and wants you, the viewer, to also like them and get to see them having good moments and doing cool stuff. I remember thinking in 2017 "Wow, that movie has a pretty low opinion of Batman." and now it's like, I still definitely think Batman got it the worst, but the 2017 movie just has so much contempt for basically everybody except maybe Diana. I can't believe all the stuff for Barry and Victor, both in terms of cool poo poo and just. Character moments, that just got dumped.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

All the characters like each other too. Arthur is prickly but kind hearted. No one is teasing each other.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MJeff posted:

I have a bunch of stuff I wanna say about this movie, but I think the thing about it that sticks out to me most is just how much more this movie likes its cast and wants you, the viewer, to also like them and get to see them having good moments and doing cool stuff. I remember thinking in 2017 "Wow, that movie has a pretty low opinion of Batman." and now it's like, I still definitely think Batman got it the worst, but the 2017 movie just has so much contempt for basically everybody except maybe Diana. I can't believe all the stuff for Barry and Victor, both in terms of cool poo poo and just. Character moments, that just got dumped.

Josstice still has contempt for Diana.

Diana's rear end on the other hand...

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

well why not posted:

All the characters like each other too. Arthur is prickly but kind hearted. No one is teasing each other.
There's none of the dumb bickering from the 2017 version. They all have issues but they're able to work through them without being snarky and still learn to work together as a team.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Roth posted:

Josstice still has contempt for Diana.

Diana's rear end on the other hand...

yeah, the 2017 movie doesn't know to have contempt for WW because it considers her to be an object

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I still need to see this but haven't had the chance because of work, but does it include the scene where Arthur sits on Diana's lasso? I felt like that bit was really jarring based on everything that had happened.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Apollo posted:

There's none of the dumb bickering from the 2017 version. They all have issues but they're able to work through them without being snarky and still learn to work together as a team.

Whedon only knows how to do one thing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

I still need to see this but haven't had the chance because of work, but does it include the scene where Arthur sits on Diana's lasso? I felt like that bit was really jarring based on everything that had happened.

Well I've seen the Snyder Cut and I have no idea what you're referring to so that should tell you, lol.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bogus Adventure posted:

No, another whedon/johns cut.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bogus Adventure posted:

Nope, gone.

Mantis42 posted:

Well I've seen the Snyder Cut and I have no idea what you're referring to so that should tell you, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eInR2aqaTYI

What was that someone said about dumb bickering?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Now that we've seen what's been cut and added, I'm pretty sure we can designate Josstice League as a cinematic hate crime.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mantis42 posted:

bushisms.txt posted:

No, another whedon/johns cut.

MJeff posted:

Nope, gone.

THANK GOD

I was 99.99% sure that was purestrain Joss, so even without having seen the Snyder Cut I can say that this movie is a cinematic triumph just by removing it.

bushisms.txt posted:

Now that we've seen what's been cut and added, I'm pretty sure we can designate Josstice League as a cinematic hate crime.

Lol, it's so true

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I remember liking the lasso scene at the time, but I went back and rewatched it now and Arthur is just such a prick in it, I wonder why I ever liked it in the first place.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

well why not posted:

Robot Style was it you that posted about working on Warchmen back in the day? I remember someone saying their coworker was rigging Dr. Manhattan’s doodle.

Nah that was a bit before my time, though I remember someone posting about that as well.

MJeff posted:

Yes, actually. The silver Parademons were originally added when Joss took over. Prior to that they were more matte, with yellow or green markings to make sure they were colored differently from the heroes. Joss wanted the Parademons to have a more clear connection to the motherboxes though, so made their carapace the same type of metal as Cyborg.

The shield protecting Steppenwolf's stronghold was also more similar to this concept art when we were first working on it with Zack:

Joss changed it because he thought the shape "looked too much like Star Wars". They specifically refer to it as a "dome" a lot in dialogue though, and the shape is actually slightly different than the theatrical version (more symmetrical), so I'm guessing the tent shape from the concept art was one of those things the he wasn't thrilled about in the first place and it was always supposed to be round.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

ZSJL is def pretty indulgent, but so are tons of recent works from established filmmakers; Hail Caesar! Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the Irishman, etc.

None of these movies are the best of their respective oeuvres, but they're still fun and experimental and taking risks and really what kind of stuff would you rather watch?

Ah, I see. "Indulgent" means "good"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bongo Bill posted:

Ah, I see. "Indulgent" means "good"

Basically, gently caress subtlety, gently caress restraint

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Robot Style posted:

They specifically refer to it as a "dome" a lot

that's right

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

bushisms.txt posted:

it really does feel like someone defacing someone else's work out of spite

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
According to Ray, that's exactly what it was.

Re: indulgence: it really depends on the filmmakers' skill in storytelling. I chose those examples because they are good! Look at Terry Gilliam's recent stuff (or Whedon's lol) to see how inept artists do it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Horizon Burning posted:

it really does feel like someone defacing someone else's work out of spite
People hate what they don’t understand.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If there were any director whose work would benefit from being overindulgent in the cape poo poo genre, it would abso-loving-lutely be Zack Snyder.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't give a single poo poo about football, and based on that football sequence I would watch the poo poo out of a Zack Snyder football movie.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cross posting

https://twitter.com/PaulTassi/status/1372511210520903681?s=20

As a long time Snyder fan I am equal parts pleased, vindicated and also rolling in the Schadenfreude that the people who really hate Zack are stewing in their own peach tee.

Also, this is really funny for some of the old timers

https://twitter.com/clarkjoes/status/1373110928380629002?s=19

That's the "tell that to Zods snapped neck" dude

The tide has truly turned

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tell that to Steppenwolf's cut neck!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's more ok to kill Steppenwolf because he's some kind of monster man

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
his name is wolf. darkseid liked telling people to step on wolf to the extent that it became a "nickname" and then a prophecy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

his name is wolf. darkseid liked telling people to step on wolf to the extent that it became a "nickname" and then a prophecy.

Martman posted:

It's actually supposed to be Step-On-Wolf, the dude just loves fighting four-legged mammals.
gonna sue u for bad joke theft