Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I built my Silverstep town just past the border where the game would force me back if I tried to cross it. I can't walk to it but I can teleport to it and now I can wander around where I shouldn't be. Can I break anything by being here?
E: Yup!

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I built my Silverstep town just past the border where the game would force me back if I tried to cross it. I can't walk to it but I can teleport to it and now I can wander around where I shouldn't be. Can I break anything by being here?
E: Yup!

There used to be a way to semi-reliably glitch past the border by using keyboard commands to unpause travel when the popup appeared. As long as you actually reached a node past the fog wall, the event would simply kick you back to the last node you visited, and the event only triggers on the border, so you can "freely" explore during Chapter 1, although the map is still covered with fog.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

jarlywarly posted:

Honestly for any fight where you are casting buff/debuff spells, turn on turn based.

Honestly, turn based in this doesn’t do a huge amount for me. I mean, its not bad, and makes you play in a very different way, but after playing DOS2 to death it seems somewhat underbaked.

Anyway, I respected to remove glitterdust, and all was well.

Now I have a treasurer problem! I went and cleared out the trolls and so lost Jubilost, when I went to the wizard with the basement trolls I found him dead . A mercenary at level 7 costs 25,000 gold. So, I am now in a situation where either I go without a treasurer indefinitely, or go back several hours. Would it have really been that difficult to make sure Jubilost spawns in the capital whatever happens?

Stumiester fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 20, 2021

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Stumiester posted:

Honestly, turn based in this doesn’t do a huge amount for me. I mean, its not bad, and makes you play in a very different way, but after playing DOS2 to death it seems somewhat underbaked.

Now I have a treasurer problem! I went and cleared out the trolls and so lost Jubilost, when I went to the wizard with the basement trolls I found him dead . A mercenary at level 7 costs 25,000 gold. So, I am now in a situation where either I go without a treasurer indefinitely, or go back several hours. Would it have really been that difficult to make sure Jubilost spawns in the capital whatever happens?

You should be able to go back and rez him. Get a diamond and a resurrection scroll and just being Harrim with you

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Stumiester posted:

That's really one of those potential outcomes where the long term consequences are game ruining. Going without an advisor is how you get locked into a death spiral with the kingdom.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

At least they made it so that if you have the tiefling dlc you automatically get a treasurer with the companion it adds. It doesn't totally fix the issue since you need to buy that dlc, but you probably should anyway imo.

You get another treasurer choice later, but too late to matter really.

Also you're gonna want to recruit a backup Councilor named Tsanna when you get the chance. Trust me, there's no downside and it'll save your rear end.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 20, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nephthys posted:

At least they made it so that if you have the tiefling dlc you automatically get a treasurer with the companion it adds. It doesn't totally fix the issue since you need to buy that dlc, but you probably should anyway imo.

Also you're gonna want to recruit a backup Councilor named Tsanna when you get the chance. Trust me, there's no downside and it'll save your rear end.

The way it shakes out it seems like choices are either 0 consequence or massive insane game ending consequence. Nuance is not really a thing in this game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pentyne posted:

That's really one of those potential outcomes where the long term consequences are game ruining. Going without an advisor endless bombs is how you get locked into a death spiral with the kingdom.

i <3 jubilost

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

How fleshed out is the evil kingdom side of things? Like I've named my country The Dreadlands and my capital is Doom Keep but my diplomat is this hyper-positive little gnome and my magister is this incredibly twee half-elf.
I just worry the other dark lords might think I'm kind of a joke.

It's more robust than most evil games, I'm a LawfulEvil Kingdom but honestly it's a pretty drat good kingdom and ruler as I see it. Some of the evil stuff is arguably good, but there are also plenty of more plainly evil routes or outcomes, including a few where it's like, supremely evil overreaction you wouldn't have even thought of in this trivial scenario. There are other times where being the right-degree of evil will get you places super-evil or super-good don't. Being open to evil really just makes you more flexible overall in how you react or deal with situations. Quite a few companions also seem to have evil paths you can lead them down with you, and some of that stuff factors in later that makes different choices consequential.

Plus, if letting superior people like Goblins live in our cities makes me evil, then baby I don't wanna be good.

By far my favourite part of the "evil" options in the game, but major spoilers for an early act: There's a Ancient Lich from an extinct race of crazy-powerful but rude dudes and if you play the cards right, you can recruit him to your team. He talks big, goin' on about all the exciting stuff he's going to do once your PC dies and the agreement ends. It's very ambitious, think the poor guy has eyes bigger than his head, like, handful of non-max level people kicked his rear end in his main area of power and influence, but hey, he means well (for a certain people). The other thing, though, probably should not have kept the soul jars to sell for cash occasionally... but who is to say this wasn't the fate that these souls were always going to have? Plus, my kingdom does have strong social support and services, we put the money to good use. And think of the free real estate created in the process, so many folks will benefit from all the first-come first-serve free housing and infrastructure!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Khanstant posted:

By far my favourite part of the "evil" options in the game, but major spoilers for an early act: There's a Ancient Lich from an extinct race of crazy-powerful but rude dudes and if you play the cards right, you can recruit him to your team. He talks big, goin' on about all the exciting stuff he's going to do once your PC dies and the agreement ends. It's very ambitious, think the poor guy has eyes bigger than his head, like, handful of non-max level people kicked his rear end in his main area of power and influence, but hey, he means well (for a certain people). The other thing, though, probably should not have kept the soul jars to sell for cash occasionally... but who is to say this wasn't the fate that these souls were always going to have?
About that, he's not the real cyclops wizard tyrant from ages past. He's that original Vordakai's apprentice who managed to survive the cataclysm that destroyed their civilization and then pretended to be his master. So he only ever ended up being in charge when there weren't other cyclops wizards around to challenge him. As far as I know this is only ever mentioned in the GM section of the original Pathfinder books and there is no reasonable way for the players to learn. Not sure if it was mentioned in the PC game or not.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 21, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh wow! That makes me feel even better about that choice. If the game mentions it, I forgot or missed it. Either way, my primary feeling of being non-plussed by threats from members of ancient extinct species remains. Just feels like a loser messaging you in Hearthstone after a match to threaten you.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Khanstant posted:

Oh wow! That makes me feel even better about that choice. If the game mentions it, I forgot or missed it. Either way, my primary feeling of being non-plussed by threats from members of ancient extinct species remains. Just feels like a loser messaging you in Hearthstone after a match to threaten you.

Cyclopes aren't extinct in Golarion, though the ancient nations are. They broke apart into isolated tribes and kind of got hosed by the rise of other peoples; their use of blood magic and ritual cannibalism had the tribes fall back into an uncivilized state.

And now that prophecy is dead (aside: prophecy died when the god Aroden failed to return as prophesied, that's why the current age is the Age of Lost Omens) their ability to create mythic hero-gods as their leaders by mythspeaking doesn't work, either, so they're turbo hosed!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Had only they the humility to come before the Queen of the Stolen Lands, they would find themselves welcomed with open arms and could earn themselves a second chance at flourishing in these modern times in my barely moderately cursed kingdom.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Prism posted:

Cyclopes aren't extinct in Golarion, though the ancient nations are. They broke apart into isolated tribes and kind of got hosed by the rise of other peoples; their use of blood magic and ritual cannibalism had the tribes fall back into an uncivilized state.

And now that prophecy is dead (aside: prophecy died when the god Aroden failed to return as prophesied, that's why the current age is the Age of Lost Omens) their ability to create mythic hero-gods as their leaders by mythspeaking doesn't work, either, so they're turbo hosed!

Digging into the memories and backstories of the old cyclops empire was one of the best parts of the game, which made failing the knowledge checks in the tombs extremely frustrating.

Any non-exp skill checks should've been allowed to be repeated until you passed them. There's really no good reason why most skill checks were one time only and for some reason traps was repeatable.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

About that, he's not the real cyclops wizard tyrant from ages past. He's that original Vordakai's apprentice who managed to survive the cataclysm that destroyed their civilization and then pretended to be his master. So he only ever ended up being in charge when there weren't other cyclops wizards around to challenge him. As far as I know this is only ever mentioned in the GM section of the original Pathfinder books and there is no reasonable way for the players to learn. Not sure if it was mentioned in the PC game or not.

If this is true, it's only true in the recent anniversary compilation edition. In the original AP (which is what the game goes by) he' flat out the real Vordakai. He's just weakened enough for the party to kill him due to the long slumber atrophying his powers, not a pretense on his part of originally being stronger.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

No it's in the original, just only in the adventure background section at the beginning of the book. As far as I can find it's never mentioned in the adventure itself and there is no way to find out. Paizo adventure path writing is rather frustrating that way, good ideas they completely fail to communicate in player actionable ways.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

Had only they the humility to come before the Queen of the Stolen Lands, they would find themselves welcomed with open arms and could earn themselves a second chance at flourishing in these modern times in my barely moderately cursed kingdom.

Pre-owned, lightly cursed kingdom

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

No it's in the original, just only in the adventure background section at the beginning of the book. As far as I can find it's never mentioned in the adventure itself and there is no way to find out. Paizo adventure path writing is rather frustrating that way, good ideas they completely fail to communicate in player actionable ways.

Urgh, yeah just noticed the sentence you're talking about. Literally mentioned in one sentence, and the entire rest of the book entirely refers to him as if the original. The atrophied part is true as well though, so even the apprentice used to be far stronger than what you actually face.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah dude we all used to be stronger, prettier, younger.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm finding the disruption of the Maegar Varn DLC a little eh. I started it right after Season of Bloom but I'm just not into making a whole new character just for this little side adventure. Is it worth ploughing through it? If I just bounced off it and went back to my main game would I miss anything in that besides some advisors?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I'm finding the disruption of the Maegar Varn DLC a little eh. I started it right after Season of Bloom but I'm just not into making a whole new character just for this little side adventure. Is it worth ploughing through it? If I just bounced off it and went back to my main game would I miss anything in that besides some advisors?

Do you want to play more 3rd person isometric rtwp/turn based dnd tactical rpg? If the answer is yes, then go for it. If the answer is no, keep on trucking or maybe uninstall and go outside.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Bit of a weird answer but I suppose I could rephrase my question.

Does what I do in the Varn dlc carry over into my main game?

If it doesn't I think I'll just ignore it because I was just getting into the main story and I'm not enjoying the disruption of leaving it to go start a whole new character for a DLC.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
The DLC doesn’t matter.

If you do do it you get a merchant at some point that lets you buy DOC gear tho

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Bit of a weird answer but I suppose I could rephrase my question.

Does what I do in the Varn dlc carry over into my main game?

If it doesn't I think I'll just ignore it because I was just getting into the main story and I'm not enjoying the disruption of leaving it to go start a whole new character for a DLC.

Sorry, I was drunk. The DLC gives some backstory on Varnhold. Your main character from the DLC will appear in your game eventually and help later on with a fight, but they won't be recruitable. You get a merchant with some of the items from the DLC but none of the items are so powerful that you're really missing out if you don't do it.

It is a fun campaign, but if you're worried about pacing and disrupting your main campaign, skip it.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Nephthys posted:

I ended up going with the DLC NPC as you suggested - thank you for that. Saved my game I think, even though not ideal with a CG character/kingdom, its a hell of alot better than no one!

This is such a weird game. I think I really like it, and I’m certainly playing the hell out of it, but it definitely feels... janky in a way I didn’t expect. Sticking too closely to the rules of PnP. But in a way thats my favourite thing about it?

I’m going to complete the game and I’m definitely enjoying it. Its growing on me. I think, however, I may have been spoiled by Divinity Original Sin 2. Not a fair comparison I know, but still.

One quick question about kingdom stuff - should I be buying lots of BP? Seems like I never have enough, and the game is half expecting me to pour all my gold into it?

Oh, and are Owlbear-Like Treants supposed to be quite so horrendous to fight? Completely massacred me - miles worse than anything else in the area.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Stumiester posted:

I ended up going with the DLC NPC as you suggested - thank you for that. Saved my game I think, even though not ideal with a CG character/kingdom, its a hell of alot better than no one!

This is such a weird game. I think I really like it, and I’m certainly playing the hell out of it, but it definitely feels... janky in a way I didn’t expect. Sticking too closely to the rules of PnP. But in a way thats my favourite thing about it?

I’m going to complete the game and I’m definitely enjoying it. Its growing on me. I think, however, I may have been spoiled by Divinity Original Sin 2. Not a fair comparison I know, but still.

One quick question about kingdom stuff - should I be buying lots of BP? Seems like I never have enough, and the game is half expecting me to pour all my gold into it?

Oh, and are Owlbear-Like Treants supposed to be quite so horrendous to fight? Completely massacred me - miles worse than anything else in the area.

It's good to keep a couple hundred BP always available, but you should not be pouring too much money, at least until you get the cashflow from artisans in your villages, where you can afford to buy some BP while saving gold for tons of purchases 60 hours down the line.

Also, anything owlbear in this game tends to be very dangerous indeed.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
114$ for beta access is so over the top. I am sure they would get a lot more attention if they set it at a more reasonable price point. I can afford it and I like the first game a lot, I just don't want to encourage that kind of gouging.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Stumiester posted:

No problem, this is in my top 3 games of all time so if I can help smooth over the rough edges for people that's a win for me.

And yeah, I know what you mean. There's something about Owlcat's Pathfinder that's uncompromising in a way that a lot of other modern rpg's aren't that I find very charming.

There's not much else to spend gold on, you get most of your gear from artisans or loot anyway. Also someone else in the thread said not to get trade deals and while it's true that they take a while to become a net positive and not all of them are worth it, it's also true that eventually you are going to become almost 100% reliant on them for BP income. Brevoy won't be your sugardaddy forever. So bare that in mind.

Hryme posted:

114$ for beta access is so over the top. I am sure they would get a lot more attention if they set it at a more reasonable price point. I can afford it and I like the first game a lot, I just don't want to encourage that kind of gouging.

Absolutely. It's a real shame as I also think there would be so much more hype over the game if it was more open like Baldur's Gate 3 or other early access titles are. The concept of paying twice the price of the game for the "honor" of beta testing a game for a developer is loving bonkers and one of the dumbest moves I've seen a developer do in recent times.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Nephthys posted:

Absolutely. It's a real shame as I also think there would be so much more hype over the game if it was more open like Baldur's Gate 3 or other early access titles are. The concept of paying twice the price of the game for the "honor" of beta testing a game for a developer is loving bonkers and one of the dumbest moves I've seen a developer do in recent times.

I'd be interested to know how large the beta is. I paid for early access, because I was going to buy this game anyway and I wanted to get a sense of what was going to be different from Kingmaker. And I guess I could afford to do the beta too, but it's one thing to get early access and then get the full game when it's released for less than it would cost when it releases. It's another thing to spend more than the game will cost when it releases for a little more content.

Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm guessing there were enough people who were willing to do it that it made sense to Owlcat. And maybe the people who paid for the beta are going to be diligent about reporting bugs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I got through the Stag lord with my Druid/Monk combo, finally got to level 5 and took my first monk level (After I remembered that Pathfinder/3.5E restricts monk to lawful only and had to respec out of chaotic neutral *grumble grumble*) and I have to say, I didn't expect it to be so fiddly.

It looks like if I'm rolling in human mode my best bet is to shield and armor up but when it's go mode for doggo (and later the bigger nastier stuff) I need to take the armor off but not the shield and/or key up unarmored cloth robes for the passive bonuses.

Started with 16/14/14/13/16/10 for my statline as a Hungerseed Tiefling. Figured on 13 int for Expertise - now that most of my defense feats are set up all my feats going forward are going to be getting fightier. Thinking Trip / Pummeling Style / Pummeling bully / improved trip roughly in that order to be a tripmaster hellbear knocking dudes over for fun and profit.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Are you also doing the tripping balls build? I'm trying it out because from PoE1 on I only ever seem to finish these games with a druid and trip mechanics are hilarious.

Can someone explain why crane style is so good? Is fighting defensively really worth the penalty to attack rolls or do we just keep it around for when we're casting/getting overwhelmed? Is it eventually a completely negligible penalty maybe?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Are you also doing the tripping balls build? I'm trying it out because from PoE1 on I only ever seem to finish these games with a druid and trip mechanics are hilarious.

Can someone explain why crane style is so good? Is fighting defensively really worth the penalty to attack rolls or do we just keep it around for when we're casting/getting overwhelmed? Is it eventually a completely negligible penalty maybe?

With just Crane Style and 3 ranks of Mobility, Fighting Defensively is -2 attack for +4 AC, a very good tradeoff. You can never really have enough AC, and it's much harder to buff than attack, so a lot of AC tank builds will exclusively Fight Defensively while still maintaining good enough hit rates.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
gently caress you, greater enraged owlbears. Rest In loving Pieces

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

So I got through the Stag lord with my Druid/Monk combo, finally got to level 5 and took my first monk level (After I remembered that Pathfinder/3.5E restricts monk to lawful only and had to respec out of chaotic neutral *grumble grumble*) and I have to say, I didn't expect it to be so fiddly.

It looks like if I'm rolling in human mode my best bet is to shield and armor up but when it's go mode for doggo (and later the bigger nastier stuff) I need to take the armor off but not the shield and/or key up unarmored cloth robes for the passive bonuses.

Started with 16/14/14/13/16/10 for my statline as a Hungerseed Tiefling. Figured on 13 int for Expertise - now that most of my defense feats are set up all my feats going forward are going to be getting fightier. Thinking Trip / Pummeling Style / Pummeling bully / improved trip roughly in that order to be a tripmaster hellbear knocking dudes over for fun and profit.

I definitely used Bag of Tricks to ignore that alignment stuff so I could mix Rogue and Monk.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Is it just me is Octavia not that useful offensively in the endgame house, the SR on everything is crazy high, maybe I'm missing something in my build.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

Is it just me is Octavia not that useful offensively in the endgame house, the SR on everything is crazy high, maybe I'm missing something in my build.

No I also found that endgame trying for direct attack spells was pointless. Everything was about controlling the field and just stacking tons of attack damage from melee characters.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Given she pretty much one shot Irovetti and the snake woman with spells.. I guess I'll change out her spells for buffs.

I guess everyone is pissed they take away our favorite buffing bard?

Jubi did get 2 120 damage bomb crits in a gainst the Frost Giant though.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Some spells ignore SR, mostly conjuration ones. For direct attacks I know there's acid splash and acid arrow.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

Spell penetration feats and a few pieces of equipment that further boost it (like Robe of True Master) give her a pretty good chances of overcoming it (I have killed Nyrissa in one round with Hellfire Ray on occasion, thanks to rods that empower/maximize ), but she will serve you better by throwing spells that tend to ignore SR and just do crowd control for the groups(or single target ones like Chains of Light and Icy prison too). It's why people just suggest to always focus on conjuration too and throw Stinking Cloud+Cloudkill, since fortitude is the lowest Save for the Wild Hunt as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

Given she pretty much one shot Irovetti and the snake woman with spells.. I guess I'll change out her spells for buffs.

I guess everyone is pissed they take away our favorite buffing bard?

Jubi did get 2 120 damage bomb crits in a gainst the Frost Giant though.

The final dungeon was probably a game ruining source of frustration at launch. I don't know if they improved it from the original but had you hosed around with the companion missions or not kept up with your backup party member's equipment and spell slots you'd end up in an unwinnable situation.