Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Remodeling a lovely kitchen is such a huge thing. Quality of life just shoots up immediately because you actually like going in there to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
We bought our house mainly because it already had a big kitchen with everything we needed. Slowly we are replacing things to what we want. It is soooo nice having a kitchen you like cooking in.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It's a cool island but I feel like a gap in the center to be able to walk through would be my preference

Thanks for the board recs peeps, I'll keep looking around and also check out the SA mart thread

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
ugly backsplash, 2/10 would not bang

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i personally prefer granite on a center island because i can put hot things on it without worrying, but thats a nitpick. drat nice kitchen.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Random anecdote, but I pulled out a guanciale that was hiding in the back of my freezer for 3? 4? Maybe 5 years? No rancidity at all. Was it because it was in a food saver bag? Or do cured meats resist rancidity

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Random anecdote, but I pulled out a guanciale that was hiding in the back of my freezer for 3? 4? Maybe 5 years? No rancidity at all. Was it because it was in a food saver bag? Or do cured meats resist rancidity

I'd say food saver. As long as the air is gone we have things like chicken and fish cakes that we used a couple of years after purchase with no issues.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cured meats do resist rancidity, salt helps

its why salted butter lasts longer. butter usually goes bad by rancidity not microbial action but salt will slow down both

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
rancidity is just oxidation by another name. if you remove the oxygen via something like a food saver bag you’re going to have a better time of resisting it. especially since a freezer is also cold and dark, which will help avoid issues of, depending on the food, enzymatic/microbial action and light, respectively.

salt is actually a pro-oxidant especially in things like meats. i suppose it’s possible it works to the reverse in butter but it is probably equally likely that it helps to mask the flavour

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What is the deal with expensive blenders? Are they actually better in some way that makes them worth a fuckton of money?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

What is the deal with expensive blenders? Are they actually better in some way that makes them worth a fuckton of money?

Yes, they're powerful enough to blend things properly.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Used vitamix is worth every penny imo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Stringent posted:

Used vitamix is worth every penny imo.
I mean can you tell me why though?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A blender with two horsepower is able to obliterate cell walls and get particles under 20 nanometers after about a minute of blending at full power. This means foods will be completely liquefied, will run completely through a strainer, and you will not feel any solid particles when you drink it.

Vitamixes, Blendtecs and supposedly the top end Breville are in that 2 horsepower category.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

as steve said.

it’s honestly wild how much easier some things are with a vitamix. aside from the daily smoothies for breakfast i will do things like make soup by dumping in broth, veg like broccoli or corn or whatever, some seasoning and turn it on. it will run until the soup is actually too hot to eat, less then five minutes or so. stir in some cream and done.

or if i’m making sauces using the vitamix often means i don’t have to strain anything. or peel anything if i’m being honest.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Oh yeah, the sauce game becomes incredible. I'll just sauté some onion and whatever then run it through the blender with whatever seasoning it needs and it's always pretty good. Soup is of course a gimme. It's so drat easy to make great tomato soup or cream of whatever now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah my move lately has been to fry some chiles in a little oil, pull them out and toss them in the blender jar, rough chop some onion and toss it in to not quite char in a couple of places and take out that intense onion burn, then dump it all in the blender with broth or water where necessary to get some action. this also makes the basis for a great more complex mole.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Chemmy posted:

I went 37" x 144" on this cutting board we installed in our kitchen.

That must be a pain in the rear end to walk around

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I received a $200 Breville blender and it’s just as good as the vitamixs I’ve used in the past, at least with regards to smoothies and purées. For oil extraction the vitamix is uniquely powerful tho, so unless you’re using it for that specific purpose you can probably get away with a cheaper model.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Idk if I've ever had smooth carrots out of anything but the vitamix.

When I do my hot sauces at end of fermentation it purees that so well I don't have to strain and idk if it's pectin or what but it just keeps a good texture forever.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

bamhand posted:

Isn't rubber the material of choice if you want heavy duty and easy maintenance?

Rubber is my choice for sure. Cheaper than wood, more durable than wood, more bacteria resistant than wood, you can sand it down or bleach it back to normal coloration, extremely good on your knives. I picked up a decent sized board for $40 about 5 years ago and I’ll never go back.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Idk if I've ever had smooth carrots out of anything but the vitamix.

When I do my hot sauces at end of fermentation it purees that so well I don't have to strain and idk if it's pectin or what but it just keeps a good texture forever.

How many peppers do you need to make enough sauce to fill a Tabasco bottle (just an example for size)? I have an indoor garden with about 4-6 pepper plants from a variety seed pack so I have no idea what they're going to be, but probably nothing very exotic. They're all about 8" tall and very healthy, hoping I get a loving ton of peppers. I can take some photos if people think they might be able to identify which pepper plants I have.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Take the pics but idk that scale. I freeze until end of season and ferment. Usually end up with like 4L of mash and 750ml of brine or thereabout. One plant should easily get you a tobasco sized bottle at least. Tobasco is fermented, then used to infuse vinegar, then strained iirc so it's not the type of sauce I'm doing (mash to about half a bottle then topped with vinegar to dilute)

Fill a quart Mason and ferment with that and that should get you a bottle at least.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you use soup recipes for your friction-heat-in-vitamix soups, or are you making your own on the fly? I have a Vitamix book but my wife is suspicious of corporation cook books so we usually do 90% of the work on the stove and it doesn't save any time.

It still gets smooth as hell which is nice, just not as convenient.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Do you use soup recipes for your friction-heat-in-vitamix soups, or are you making your own on the fly? I have a Vitamix book but my wife is suspicious of corporation cook books so we usually do 90% of the work on the stove and it doesn't save any time.

It still gets smooth as hell which is nice, just not as convenient.

i just do it on the fly with whatever’s in the fridge. no judgment to anyone who uses recipes for soup but i don’t see the point.

you can use basically anything, though obviously i don’t tend to drop meat in the vitamix.

having said that i pressure stocked some beef bones yesterday for my chile sauce. when i pulled them out there was still some delicious puffy marrow inside. i ate some and then took the rest, along with the bits of skin and fat and such stuck to the bones and blended it with butter and salt in the vitamix. gonna spread it on some rolls for steak one of these nights

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

finally got some flour in so i can start baking bread again. proofing tends to be an issue for us, especially in the winter, as we keep the house pretty cool. i've been tempted by one of those brød and taylor proofing boxes for a while, now, but at $300CAD the price is hard to stomach even though it would keep the house cooler in the summer and use less power than heating up the oven.

so when i was able to snag a new one for $30 at an auction recently, i snapped it up.

threw together a quick enriched dough just to test it out.

the other reason i wanted one is that i can use it as a fermentation chamber for various ferm and enzyme experiments

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Ordered a carbon steel SBZ cleaver. A bunch of rust spots show up on it every time I wash it. Should be I be doing something specific to care for it?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

Ordered a carbon steel SBZ cleaver. A bunch of rust spots show up on it every time I wash it. Should be I be doing something specific to care for it?

Just keeping it super dry. Are you sure it's rust and not patina?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah it's orange in color and just a few specks. I shook it dry after I first washed it and didn't wipe it down or anything. Will be wiping in the future.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bamhand posted:

Yeah it's orange in color and just a few specks. I shook it dry after I first washed it and didn't wipe it down or anything. Will be wiping in the future.

yeah you just have to get used to immediately drying carbon steel knives, letting them sit in a dish drain to dry will cause rust, i had the same thing happen when i first got one

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Decided to ball out and purchase a Thermapen Mk4, it was on "sale" and I've grown tired of using my current one.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i suppose you could dry and then oil it as well?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Force a patina on it. Smear it with yellow mustard and let it sit for 15 minutes then wash and dry it. You’ll still want to dry it after you wash it but it will buy you some time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Force a patina on it. Smear it with yellow mustard and let it sit for 15 minutes then wash and dry it. You’ll still want to dry it after you wash it but it will buy you some time.

Is this a real thing? A mustard treatment?

E: I'll be damned

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/how-to-patina-a-carbon-steel-blade-using-mustard.439062/

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
From what I read you just want to use anything acidic.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Different acids will give slightly different hues. The mustard I use gives a bluish/grayish tint that I dig.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Won't work for a cleaver but I force patina on carbon steel knives by pushing them into a grapefruit and leaving them there for an hour or two.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
You can force a patina with all sorts of acids to create interesting effects.

I haven't bothered to force anything with my reactive knives, they're getting kind of bluish on their own, though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BRB collecting 400mL of cat piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that's wild, i know acid was somehow involved to get the patterns you see but i did not realize it was as doable-at-home as "put some mustard on your knife"