Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Volcott posted:

Someday they'll make a Constantine adaption that isn't bad and wrong maybe.

HBO Max supposedly has a Constantine series in the works that would be unconnected from the CW stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Yup. Oh, Jon... :(
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/983435414362091520?s=21

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Volcott posted:

Someday they'll make a Constantine adaption that isn't bad and wrong maybe.

I've never read the comic and I loving loved the Keanu version

Also I'm 13

Fight me

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I've never read the comic and I loving loved the Keanu version

Also I'm 13

Fight me

The movie is actually pretty good but it hurts to have a muted John even if he's a character absent from his source.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Constantine was one of the few movies in the 'Keanu Reeves As Generic Leading Man' era that actually worked, but it's largely in spite of Keanu himself. He's very singularly talented at a few things (specifically, being pretty charismatic and friendly and loving DEDICATING himself to a role), and like most movies of that era Constantine didn't use him right. But goddamn, Tilda Swinton carries that movie, and Peter Stormare is one of the first times I truly understood what a 'one-scene wonder' performance is.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, pop-culture made him into way more of an archnemesis than the actual stories ever did, though it's not hard to see why.

Moriarty is essentially a walking plot device like Doomsday and Bane: this dude that comes out of nowhere that manages to be so much stronger/smarter than the invincible hero and whose only purpose is to either kill the hero or make the hero destroy them both in a mutual sacrifice. And much like Doomsday, he later gets shoehorned into most Holmes adaptations, removing everything that made him seem like such a threat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
holy poo poo I was like "wow good on ya Kucinich" and then... that joke dropped like a loving anvil

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It's really quite jarring on how until VERY recently transgender people were pretty much treated near universally in media as walking punchlines. It also didn't help that the 90s and 00s were the golden age of "edgy" humor most likely to exploit them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can't believe the guy that held a centrist rally turned out to say real lovely middle of the road stuff sometimes

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jon Stewart loving sucks and trained a generation of youngs to think that smugness = intelligence

I loved that show growing up and felt scammed looking back... he's basically no different from Bill Maher

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, I remembered the Daily Show being good until Trevor Noah took over, guess I was wrong.

I still like the Flop House (podcast hosted by a Daily Show writer and cohosted by a former Daily Show writer), but there's definitely the occasional dogshit political take there.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Martman posted:

Jon Stewart loving sucks and trained a generation of youngs to think that smugness = intelligence

I loved that show growing up and felt scammed looking back... he's basically no different from Bill Maher

I think Chapo is going to go the same way. That recent episode where they were "there's no difference between steve bannon and neolibs aside from white supremacy..." Well that may be, but that's still a pretty big loving difference my dudes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hyperhazard posted:

I'm doing a BSG rewatch now and I'd forgotten how glacial the pacing is in some of these episodes. Lots of deep meaningful looks and characters looking pained with the color gradients cranked to 11.

It's still good, but definitely a slow burn. Things picked up a lot in Season 2 when they start to focus on the cylon point of view, because honestly, they're the most interesting characters. And I remember Season 4 just being batshit insane because the writers remembered that they had to come up with 5 new cylons and it turns out they're all connected because in a previous life they were in a Hendrix cover band. I'm looking forward to it.

There have been many poo poo-takes in this thread, but I don't think any will ever exceed in shitness the statement that Jimi Hendrix was the original artist on All Along The Watchtower.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think Chapo is going to go the same way. That recent episode where they were "there's no difference between steve bannon and neolibs aside from white supremacy..." Well that may be, but that's still a pretty big loving difference my dudes.

They and other similar podcasts are already at the edge of the cliff:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/these-dirtbag-left-stars-are-flirting-with-the-far-right

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I actually think it’s the opposite, people are going to look back on their support of neoliberalism and their less aggressive white supremacy and feel kind of dumb for falling for what is just racism but with a smile

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
On BBC Sherlock, here's internet person and goon hbomberguy's video essay on why it sucks, it's a great analysis by someone who clearly likes Sherlock Holmes in his many forms and wants to see good stories, give it a go if you've got two hours to burn.

(tl:dr if you haven't got two hours to burn: Steven Moffat loving blows as a showrunner, flinging out story hooks and cliffhangers but never actually committing to anything, could never stick a landing and kept stringing watchers along until they all got bored, basically the Game of Thrones problem. Also it sucks as a mystery the watchers could try to solve along the way because the solutions are all bullshit and Sherlock may as well be a loving psychic wizard) (actually the show would probably be more grounded and realistic if it was literally Doctor Strange as the detective)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

They and other similar podcasts are already at the edge of the cliff:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/these-dirtbag-left-stars-are-flirting-with-the-far-right

The guy who calls Norman Finkelstein a Holocaust denier and once wrote an article so bad that the SPLC had to retract it isn’t exactly who you want to go to for this kind of analysis.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

How has Jon Lovitz held up over the years? Not his material necessarily, but the man himself?
The most recent thing I remember even hearing about him was several years ago when he punched out/threatened to punch out Andy Dick for saying something really lovely.

I ask because I found out he's making an appearance at a local comic con in June, and I want to make sure my excitement to meet him isn't actually a bad thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I actually think it’s the opposite, people are going to look back on their support of neoliberalism and their less aggressive white supremacy and feel kind of dumb for falling for what is just racism but with a smile
A lot of people are waking up to this but even more are doubling down because sunk-cost fallacy and "but I'm doing alright" and "but I could never back the wrong horse" and because neoliberalism argues "the system works as long as the right people are in charge" there's a lot of diet authoritarian sympathies where they go with posture and projection of competence whenever possible.

Then there's the uglier fact that "casual" racism is something they support but don't have the strength to admit to, see it as "all in the game," or otherwise benefit from and look the other way on.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
My problem with Sherlock is that it started out as a fun show centred on Holmes and Watson going around solving mysteries, and gradually disappeared up its own arse as it became centred on the writers trying to prove how clever they are, and doing Buffy-esque drama with the main characters.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

the_steve posted:

How has Jon Lovitz held up over the years? Not his material necessarily, but the man himself?
The most recent thing I remember even hearing about him was several years ago when he punched out/threatened to punch out Andy Dick for saying something really lovely.

I ask because I found out he's making an appearance at a local comic con in June, and I want to make sure my excitement to meet him isn't actually a bad thing.

This is a really good question and I've wondered myself. The last project I remember seeing him in was Rat Race 20 years ago which features this wonderfully stupid sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dsgQb3jkk4

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the_steve posted:

I thought he was a Republican but Wikipedia says he’s a democrat that just criticized Obama.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the_steve posted:

The Andy Dick thing is super dark and hosed up, because Lovitz sort of blames him for helping Phil Hartman's wife to relapse on drugs in the year leading up to her killing Hartman and herself. Andy Dick is gross in general and I think a lot of the people around that circle basically felt like Lovitz was pretty much justified in giving him a beatdown. (also odd that Dick and Hartman were both on News Radio and Lovitz was the guy brought in to "replace" Hartman's character)

In the professional world I've gotten the impression that other comedians kind of make fun of Lovitz a lot. He seems like a dude who was... let's say always taking more than giving when it came to coming up with comedic material. Not that he's a bad person or anything but that he went surprisingly far with very little other than a funny voice.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Coucho Marx posted:

On BBC Sherlock, here's internet person and goon hbomberguy's video essay on why it sucks, it's a great analysis by someone who clearly likes Sherlock Holmes in his many forms and wants to see good stories, give it a go if you've got two hours to burn.

(tl:dr if you haven't got two hours to burn: Steven Moffat loving blows as a showrunner, flinging out story hooks and cliffhangers but never actually committing to anything, could never stick a landing and kept stringing watchers along until they all got bored, basically the Game of Thrones problem. Also it sucks as a mystery the watchers could try to solve along the way because the solutions are all bullshit and Sherlock may as well be a loving psychic wizard) (actually the show would probably be more grounded and realistic if it was literally Doctor Strange as the detective)

You're not supposed to solve the mystery along the way, the solutions being bullshit is a feature baked into the original stories. The stories are written from the point of view of Watson, and the solutions almost always involve some information that Watson wasnt privy to/failed to notice or give any significance to, and Sherlock is yes, basically a wizard who knows every relevant obscure fact possible. I liked the BBC sherlock okay for what it was, then it got poo poo, but if you are looking for a mystery the viewer can solve with/before the detective then you dont want to be looking at a Sherlock Holmes story. Got a better chance with a Poirot story I think.

(edit to add: I like hbomberguy, and I'm not invalidating his criticisms of it, he dislikes it more strongly than I like it, and thats fine, but I've seen the "how were you supposed to solve that?" criticism of Sherlock before, and the answer is "You werent, its not that type of story". The Holmes stories are explicitly "marvel as the audience to a great mind solving things us mere mortals couldnt possibly comprehend", and its difficult to write a character smarter than the person writing them, so it relies on "Ah actually I know an obscure thing which happens to be relevant in this contrived situation" or "Ah, you mean you didnt notice the circus was in town?" type nonsense).

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 14:11 on Mar 20, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Martman posted:

In the professional world I've gotten the impression that other comedians kind of make fun of Lovitz a lot. He seems like a dude who was... let's say always taking more than giving when it came to coming up with comedic material. Not that he's a bad person or anything but that he went surprisingly far with very little other than a funny voice.
Eh, I think it's a little dismissive because Lovitz is a master of vocal delivery and has the resume of ultra-quotable lines and memorable one-off parts to prove it... but yeah it parses that in absence of funny writers he'd be a typical empty-vessel performer.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Eh, I think it's a little dismissive because Lovitz is a master of vocal delivery and has the resume of ultra-quotable lines and memorable one-off parts to prove it... but yeah it parses that in absence of funny writers he'd be a typical empty-vessel performer.
That's fair. I mean I seriously love The Critic, not tryin to totally dump on the dude. It's just you don't have a lot of pure voice actors in the comedy space in that way I think.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well I wouldn't call him a pure VA either. He can screen-act with a really good presence. He's an actor, and all that implies.

Honestly the whole thing strikes me as the Comedy World being--once again-- kind of a Mean Girls table.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I thought Lovtiz had become somewhat conservative over the years but not to a point where you'd like picket him or anything but i could be wrong about that.

Lovtiz also seems like a guy who:
1) Knows his limitations and his slot. He once gave an interview where someone said why aren't you well more well known given your time on SNL and movies you've been in and his response was, well you are interviewing me so the system works!
2) Has a decent understanding of writing and acting. He once criticized modern SNL on the fact that they never end skits, they are rarely 5 min stories, just random lines brought together by flim premises and its hard to disagree with him despite the fact I love SNL.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

I get some weird out of touch celebrity vibes from him, but nothing monstrous. I'm basing a lot of this on some podcasts he did with Kevin Smith a few years back.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Jedit posted:

There have been many poo poo-takes in this thread, but I don't think any will ever exceed in shitness the statement that Jimi Hendrix was the original artist on All Along The Watchtower.
I thought the show sampled specifically from his version? If not, I stand corrected (but I will die on the hill that his is the better one, sorry).

Twitch posted:

poo poo, I remembered the Daily Show being good until Trevor Noah took over, guess I was wrong.
Daily Show has gotten remarkably better since they moved to the youtube-like format. Trevor Noah's style of comedy is not suited to talk shows.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hyperhazard posted:

I thought the show sampled specifically from his version? If not, I stand corrected (but I will die on the hill that his is the better one, sorry).

Oh, you don't need to die on that hill - most people live there already, Dylan included. But the BSG version is an original recording.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

hyperhazard posted:

Eh, even Dylan prefers the Hendrix version.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Martman posted:

The Andy Dick thing is super dark and hosed up, because Lovitz sort of blames him for helping Phil Hartman's wife to relapse on drugs in the year leading up to her killing Hartman and herself. Andy Dick is gross in general and I think a lot of the people around that circle basically felt like Lovitz was pretty much justified in giving him a beatdown. (also odd that Dick and Hartman were both on News Radio and Lovitz was the guy brought in to "replace" Hartman's character)

To be fair, as the story is usually told Andy Dick goes up to Lovitz and threatens to “put the Phil Hartman hex” on him and I don’t know what other outcome that could possibly lead to

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Oh, you don't need to die on that hill - most people live there already, Dylan included. But the BSG version is an original recording.

Hendrix’s version is used in the very very last scene of the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

christmas boots posted:

To be fair, as the story is usually told Andy Dick goes up to Lovitz and threatens to “put the Phil Hartman hex” on him and I don’t know what other outcome that could possibly lead to

That was apparently the run up to the actual beat down.

quote:

Lovitz and Dick have been at loggerheads since a 1997 Christmas party at Hartman’s house, five months before his troubled wife Brynn flipped out, fatally shooting Hartman, then killing herself. “Andy was doing cocaine, and he gave Brynn some after she had been sober for 10 years. Phil was furious about it - and then five months later he’s dead,” said Lovitz, adding that when he filled in on Hartman’s “Newsradio” sitcom, "I told Andy, ‘I wouldn’t be here now if you hadn’t given Brynn that cocaine.’ "

Last year, Lovitz related, a drunken Dick strolled up to his table at Ago in West Hollywood, rudely downed his guests’ peach liqueur drinks, and “looked at me and said, ‘I put the “Phil Hartman hex” on you - you’re the next one to die.’ I said, ‘What did you say?’ and he repeated it. I wanted to punch his face in, but I don’t hit women.”

When the two ran into each other at the Laugh Factory last Wednesday, "I wanted him to say he was sorry for the ‘Phil Hartman hex,’ " Lovitz told us. "First he says, ‘I don’t remember saying that.’ Then he leans in and says, ‘You know why I said it? Because you said I killed Phil Hartman.’ Which I never said. Then he asked me to be in his new movie.

“I grabbed him by the shirt and leaned him over and said, ‘I don’t want to be in your movie! I don’t want to be in your life!’ I pushed him against the rail. Then I pushed him again really hard. A security guard broke it up. I’m not proud of it . . . but he’s a disgusting human being.” Dick’s rep said he had no comment.

Jon Lovitz was pretty universally praised by the people in the room for beating the poo poo out of Andy Dick.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The best Sherlock is the Sheldon Reynolds and H.Marion Crawford tv show

shame about H. Marion though :(

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

That was apparently the run up to the actual beat down.

Jon Lovitz was pretty universally praised by the people in the room for beating the poo poo out of Andy Dick.

Ah right, I was conflating the two incidents. Still, what a Dick

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Twitch posted:

I get some weird out of touch celebrity vibes from him, but nothing monstrous. I'm basing a lot of this on some podcasts he did with Kevin Smith a few years back.

I imagined he'd just gone into producing or whatever back-end stuff. I don't remember if I heard him in podcasts, but I remember 10ish years back when Smith had started broadcasting 24/7 and started using Lovitz' club as his live venue. Smith talked about how Lovitz had no idea wtf podcasting was all about and had been like 'so you' re on stage. And you just talk. And people pay to watch you?'

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Twitch posted:

I still like the Flop House (podcast hosted by a Daily Show writer and cohosted by a former Daily Show writer), but there's definitely the occasional dogshit political take there.

Head writer for a while I think. I still like the Flop House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The only Sherlock adaptation worth watching is The Great Mouse Detective, actually.