Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I played like two rounds with it and it was insane. My team could basically always use their supers because it basically converts trash mooks to orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Trinity Ghoul with catalyst goes from "eh its neat" to "pretty loving disgusting and fun add clear machine and orb generator", so yeah. It's alright

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just the change to lightning rod is pretty great, but adding “orbs on multikill” to something where now you would have to put in real effort to not multikill is the most fun kind of broken I have ever seen in this game.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kith posted:

I demand an explanation.

Cease to Hope explained the EVE context, now suffer my thoughts on the commonality between Bungie and CCP approaches to game design.

Both companies design systems that are deliberately opaque if not actively hostile to players, and if you happen to figure out a way to circumvent or make skillful use of those systems to do something unexpected, both developers will eventually patch out that one specific interaction while still saying they love the sandbox.

Minecraft modders do this too, though not as much anymore.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I am admittedly new, but Destiny 2 does not seem like a very sandbox-y game to me. It seems like a funnel directing people to a handful of instanced, time-gated, highly formal group-oriented activities.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
My experience with TG+Catalyst in Gambit (Prime) was that the number of orange/yellow bars who don't die to one zap created problems keeping the chain going. I haven't tried it in new-new Gambit, though.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Cease to Hope posted:

I am admittedly new, but Destiny 2 does not seem like a very sandbox-y game to me. It seems like a funnel directing people to a handful of instanced, time-gated, highly formal group-oriented activities.

That's right!

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Like almost any game, it can be a sandbox if you refuse to engage with any goal-oriented activities. Some people seem to enjoy just logging in and randomly running around the open world areas, participating in anything that catches their interest. But once you invest some time in learning about Destiny's core gameplay loops and how to make progress towards rewards (typically requiring external resources), your impression is correct.

The most recent paid expansion removed a large amount of content from the game (single-player campaigns, solo & group activities, loot, planets, etc.) and has introduced a lot of mechanics to herd the player population into the 3 core activities. Strangely, the game didn't make nearly enough significant changes to these core activities to offset the loss of other content, and the content that was removed made up the bulk of the experience that Free to Play players could meaningfully engage with. Some of these decisions are in the process of being walked back, but Bungie seems pretty firm in their plan to regularly remove content while also making it clear that they will never release content at the same pace as their biggest previous expansion (Forsaken).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kith posted:

incredible. absolutely unbelievable. god bless EVE stories

This is in no way the first time CCP has had to do this because of this player:

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

just the things I've done/discovered that got removed / super nerfed (in rough order)

1) hyperdunking (direct game mechanics change)
2) drone spam hyper dunking (officially declared an exploit)
3) shuttle hyper dunking (officially declared an exploit)
4) grid-walling and ganking freighters in grid spot (indirect nerf)
5) three CCP EHP buffs to freighters (yes, three)
6) 3 minute bump timer / career bumping (direct game mechanics change)
7) concord and factional police spawn positions (direct game mechanics change)
8) burst jamming (direct game mechanics change)
9) burst jammers disable interdiction nullification (direct game mechanics change)

Cease to Hope posted:

After a hasty patch, nullified interceptors won't be able to run burst jammers.

Also they hosed this nerf up, so you can still fit it with two MAPCs

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 19, 2021

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
sandbox can mean weapon/power interactions, or general strategies, not just 'run around the world doing whatever'. the toys and tools you use to interact with the sand, in said box.

riven cheese, or knocking bosses off ledges, or one-tether the garden boss. or various movement capabilities (titan/warlock skating, using shoulder charge as movement, glacier launches). anarchy bolts breaking barrier champ shields if you swap to something with anti-barrier. That sort of thing.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Kesper North posted:

This is in no way the first time CCP has had to do this because of this player:

Also they hosed this nerf up, so you can still fit it with two MAPCs

Yeah but it also disables interdiction nullification.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Is PoH's high roll armour in the last chest farmable or is it once a week thing?

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Arkage posted:

Is PoH's high roll armour in the last chest farmable or is it once a week thing?
once a week, same with ST. Only prophecy is loopable

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Hey friends, eve chat in the eve thread thanks.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I got two bottom dollar drops in roughly two gambit sessions over two days

Drifter is mah man, ya dig

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
When I came back to this game I started by playing a Titan because I hadn't played that class before. I finally switched over to Warlock (which is what I started with when I picked up this game a billion years ago when Blizzard still ran it), and OH MY GOD IT'S SO MUCH MORE FUN.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RocketRaygun posted:

Hey friends, eve chat in the eve thread thanks.

eve chat is absolutely sword logic at its finest though, i mean talk about games that make you want to say "aiat"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

When I came back to this game I started by playing a Titan because I hadn't played that class before. I finally switched over to Warlock (which is what I started with when I picked up this game a billion years ago when Blizzard still ran it), and OH MY GOD IT'S SO MUCH MORE FUN.
Just wait 'til you roll a hunter. And I say this as a D1 vet warlock main.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, I have a Hunter that I haven't played in a while...

I probably should log in and try that, but I like my Attunement of Hunger Voidwalker with its Verity's Brow helmet. It's nice to be unkillable so long as I've got mooks to shoot.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, I have a Hunter that I haven't played in a while...

I probably should log in and try that, but I like my Attunement of Hunger Voidwalker with its Verity's Brow helmet. It's nice to be unkillable so long as I've got mooks to shoot.

My old go to was hunger with crimson and karnsteins and a grenadier fusion if for some reason punching and poo poo wasn't giving me enough grenades to coat the floor enough.

Never not live forever, and lol I only had to ever worry about being one shot. gently caress that was fun. Karnstein is still strong, but it really ought to proc on finishers too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Did they ever fix all the hunter cloaks being boring poo poo?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

There are very few cloaks in D2 that rise to D1 levels of dopeness

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The cayde 6 universal ornament is ok, and can be applied over any other cape. Don't know where you get it though, think I got mine back in red war before UO was a thing.

This season's hunter cape is bugged as poo poo, at least on ps4.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The cayde 6 universal ornament is ok, and can be applied over any other cape. Don't know where you get it though, think I got mine back in red war before UO was a thing.

This season's hunter cape is bugged as poo poo, at least on ps4.

The season pass ornament? It’s not bugged, it’s just a hat!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Is there some sort of fuckery with strikes playlist? I've done 2 and it shows 0/3
E: Oh, same subclass!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

hiddenriverninja posted:

There are very few cloaks in D2 that rise to D1 levels of dopeness

Guess I'm staying a warlock.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Beard Yawn posted:

The season pass ornament? It’s not bugged, it’s just a hat!
No, the normal version of the cape, no ornament applied. It vibrates all over the place and gets twisted up like an eldritch abomination, or at least it did at the start of the season.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You can buy the Vanguard Dare set in Eververse under the Archive tab, but only the whole set. The problem with it IMO is the red doesn’t ever change which makes it clash with some shaders.

Your best bet for awesome class items is to run a raid or dungeon or buy a set from Eververse. My D1 Unbelievably Old Cloak used to be in D2 as the Prodigal set’s cloak but it was removed from the loot pool before I started playing :mad: the situation with marks and bonds is even worse.

PERMACAV 50 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 20, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PERMACAV 50 posted:

You can buy the Vanguard Dare set in Eververse under the Archive tab, but only the whole set. The problem with it IMO is the red doesn’t ever change which makes it clash with some shaders.

Your best bet for awesome class items is to run a raid or dungeon or buy a set from Eververse. My D1 Unbelievably Old Cloak used to be in D2 as the Prodigal set’s cloak but it was removed from the loot pool before I started playing :mad: the situation with marks and bonds is even worse.

At least we have good marks, as a Titan - Crystocrene looks good enough I just want 3 of it. If the shader applied slightly differently to the fabric it'd be perfect.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Question about "proper" lament usage; is it, press Rev > 3x light attacks > Heavy attack or is it hold Rev (through all the attacks?)

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Lyer posted:

Question about "proper" lament usage; is it, press Rev > 3x light attacks > Heavy attack or is it hold Rev (through all the attacks?)

while holding rev, 3x light then heavy.

it doesn't matter how much sword energy you have, heavy attacks deal full damage as long as you can trigger it. You can do a full heavy attack with rev up at any energy level. So, while holding rev, you want to get the energy as low as possible through dealing damage (hence the light attacks), then dump the remaining sliver of energy into a heavy.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

omg crow don;t tell osiris about zavala assasination, he will gently caress it up. He will somehow kill zavala himself and than be like "well, in many alternate realities". While knowing full well that he sucks in all of them

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Huh, someone posted a last with raid, which I joined and nobody showed up including raid creator

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Uh, Osiris is cool and I can't wait for him to to go balls deep in darkness powers or siva to own dumbass saladman, who is a bitch and gets owned for it a lot this season lol.

Also, Holliday and Crow have amazing lines and delivery. I'm enjoying that a ton.

Now give me drifter spinning me up some cool new moves and powers because I love this fragment/shard system and he's my real dad

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
We need more Drifter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/destiny2/comments/jzljif/drifter_is_such_a_smooth_gunslinger/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

“Yo Eliksni, is that my briefcase?”

Seriously though, has there ever been a mission where you get to see him do all his cool “been doing this forever” stuff or is it all lore tabs?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Pretty sure it's all lore tabs, unfortunately.

Got back into a good rhythm in gambit again today, murdered a ton of invaders and then turned around to poo poo on their team while invading, including a glorious post invasion grenade merk lol.

gently caress I miss my prime armor, better get it back as ornaments INCLUDING MY GLOWING SNEKS GODDAMN

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PathAsc posted:

Pretty sure it's all lore tabs, unfortunately.

Got back into a good rhythm in gambit again today, murdered a ton of invaders and then turned around to poo poo on their team while invading, including a glorious post invasion grenade merk lol.

gently caress I miss my prime armor, better get it back as ornaments INCLUDING MY GLOWING SNEKS GODDAMN

I’ve gotten into a pretty good Gambit rythym with my masterwork trinity ghoul. Mooks to orbs, use those for a full super, invade, splatter the whole other team with a Golden gun, repeat.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve gotten into a pretty good Gambit rythym with my masterwork trinity ghoul. Mooks to orbs, use those for a full super, invade, splatter the whole other team with a Golden gun, repeat.

Niiiiiiice

I've been on a geomag kick again, with a nice seraph ar with rampage/ramspec and seraph trench/full choke shotgun, then xeno because hell yeah.

If I use stasis or middle dawn then I switch to karnstein because it works so very well with the punch based dmg boosts, but once I get my claws upgraded I'll switch to that I think. With high energy fire I have pretty much constant +dmg uptime and there's a slight bit of buff stacking that seems to happen too even though bungie said they took almost all stacking out. Hell, I can basically ignore champion mechanics in other modes because whatever the gently caress is going on with the other boosts and trench barrel means the champ either dies in the third shell or I can hit a finisher instead when it hits that health on shell 2 or 3

Either way, boosts, cells, orbs, and supers. It's fun, I just wish I could get better int rolls. I miss my 100 rec/100 int armor set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Also, gently caress bungie for not at least letting golf balls drop from fully mw armor. Drop shards or whatever at less that 100% returns but give the goddamn balls back at least. Guess I need to get with a team to farm nf and stock up.