Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

this is pretty close to mine but i hit 67% hydration and have an egg in there.

i often do an autolyze, too

I usually do an accidental autolyze because I forget to proof the yeast until the last step and just toss everything else in there while I wait. I have good results on my no-knead just adding the yeast in dry but haven't had great luck doing that with this bread.

Been meaning to try an egg, next loaf maybe. I keep cutting my hydration because I keep adding flour in the knead, but adding flour lets me get exactly what I want with a good bit of precision so I don't really want to give it up, either.

(I think it was your recipe a couple months back that I started from, actually.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Huxley posted:

I usually do an accidental autolyze because I forget to proof the yeast until the last step and just toss everything else in there while I wait. I have good results on my no-knead just adding the yeast in dry but haven't had great luck doing that with this bread.

Been meaning to try an egg, next loaf maybe. I keep cutting my hydration because I keep adding flour in the knead, but adding flour lets me get exactly what I want with a good bit of precision so I don't really want to give it up, either.

(I think it was your recipe a couple months back that I started from, actually.)

probably? because that’s the rough amt of flour i use and i definitely use more flour than most sites recommend for a 13-inch pullman; as a result it always fills the pan and i never get sunken sides tho.

there’s at least one famous chef who had a recipe that just accepts sunken sides as an unavoidable side effect and i just think that’s so fuckin lazy

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

probably? because that’s the rough amt of flour i use and i definitely use more flour than most sites recommend for a 13-inch pullman; as a result it always fills the pan and i never get sunken sides tho.

there’s at least one famous chef who had a recipe that just accepts sunken sides as an unavoidable side effect and i just think that’s so fuckin lazy

It's a good recipe, thank you for it!

I've wiggled numbers around a bit to suit my process and my kitchen. But even with your starting amounts, it was straight corners and straight sides, just came up a touch short on the shoulders. Probably more my impatience than anything.

Good bread.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I decided to make a 100% wholemeal loaf, nothing to do with the fact I also ran out of white flour this week. I've never really been that successful at wholemeal loaves, charitably they would be described as hearty. This time to followed the Perfect Loaf's wholemeal recipe where he sifts out the bran then incorporates it again later as you would with seeds or something.

The bean soaking till later

Just after the mix, the dough is 95% Hydration :aaaaa:

But after some mixing and strech and folding it starts to come together, here it is at my preshape.

And baked.

It got a bit stuck to my peel because it was so wet so kinda 'rolled' a little to one side and lost its shape a bit. But I'll know for next time.

Fairly close but uniform texture, moist as you might imagine. All in all a very tasty loaf as well. I'll need to try this one again and see if I can't get the shaping better and gently caress it less going into the oven. I would really recommend this recipe if you want to try a 100% wholemeal sourdough loaf.

Bonus wholemeal toast shot for our morning eggs.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

effika posted:

I put mine in the fridge once I've seen some movement, but not so much that it's doubled/peaked. Usually that's about 3 hrs if I haven't refreshed it much. That way it has food to eat. I leave the lid a little bit loose for gas to escape, too!

fourwood posted:

I think just don’t stress about it much. I’ve put mine in the fridge right after feeding, also a few hours after feeding. It’s always fine when I take it out to feed it again like a week later. I just have it in a mason jar with the lid ring pretty loose.

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah if it's already sagging back down and has barfed up some alcohol you probably waited too long. Needs stuff to munch on in the fridge.

I actually seal my mason jar and have never had problems with the CO2. Perhaps I'm scarred by my one mold invasion.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Yeah, I keep my starter in the fridge all the time. When I make a levan, I take a spoonful from the starter, and put back in some flour and water.

Thanks everyone I put it in the fridge yesterday after seeing it raised a bit and bubbles on the side of the jar. Also sealed it tight cause I’m also paranoid about stray mold/spores. Didn’t blow up overnight so I guess that’s good.

I guess once again the answer was don’t think about it too much.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

So I decided to make a 100% wholemeal loaf, nothing to do with the fact I also ran out of white flour this week. I've never really been that successful at wholemeal loaves, charitably they would be described as hearty. This time to followed the Perfect Loaf's wholemeal recipe where he sifts out the bran then incorporates it again later as you would with seeds or something.

The bean soaking till later

Just after the mix, the dough is 95% Hydration :aaaaa:

But after some mixing and strech and folding it starts to come together, here it is at my preshape.

And baked.

It got a bit stuck to my peel because it was so wet so kinda 'rolled' a little to one side and lost its shape a bit. But I'll know for next time.

Fairly close but uniform texture, moist as you might imagine. All in all a very tasty loaf as well. I'll need to try this one again and see if I can't get the shaping better and gently caress it less going into the oven. I would really recommend this recipe if you want to try a 100% wholemeal sourdough loaf.

Bonus wholemeal toast shot for our morning eggs.

yeah this stems from the modernist bread people i think. the excess absorption of water by bran is one of the things that fucks up gluten formation by causing localized dehydration along the protein chains and waiting to incorporate the bran until after you’ve developed some gluten can result in a superior product. it’s deffo what i do now when going for whole grains anyway. good looking loaf!!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My husband got me a Pullman pan for Christmas. Anybody got a favorite bread recipe for it? Normally I do (clumsy) artisan loaves.

I had my first success using the recipe from The Perfect Loaf: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/pain-de-mie/

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yeah this stems from the modernist bread people i think. the excess absorption of water by bran is one of the things that fucks up gluten formation by causing localized dehydration along the protein chains and waiting to incorporate the bran until after you’ve developed some gluten can result in a superior product. it’s deffo what i do now when going for whole grains anyway. good looking loaf!!

yeah it works really well, I was fairly trepidatious about a 95% hydration loaf but it was actually pretty stiff by the time I was shaping it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Aramoro posted:

yeah it works really well, I was fairly trepidatious about a 95% hydration loaf but it was actually pretty stiff by the time I was shaping it.

yeah as you discovered the hydration level for whole wheat isn't really applicable compared to the hydration level for all white

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Chad Sexington posted:

I had my first success using the recipe from The Perfect Loaf: https://www.theperfectloaf.com/pain-de-mie/

ive made this twice now, its great, but the bulk ferment takes like 8-12 hours for me i have no idea how the author only lists 4.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

barkbell posted:

ive made this twice now, its great, but the bulk ferment takes like 8-12 hours for me i have no idea how the author only lists 4.

fermentation is extremely variable on any number of factors including but not limited to moisture, ph, flour makeup, kitchen temperature, etc, etc

few recipe authors actually have the wherewithal to discuss that sort of thing though so they just pick one and stick to it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That author also has a temperature controlled proofing box fwiw.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
She also notes in the giant wall of text that readers reported needing more time.

I had a good success just proofing it in the oven with the light on and the door cracked a little, but it still took probably 6-8 hours.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

blixa posted:

Forgot to post a pic when it was first made, but that khorasan flour was great to work with. Felt like it wasn't quite as thirsty as whole wheat and love the subtle sweetness it lent the final product. This was 20%, going to up it a little next time.

That double ear is lovely. Is that just one score??

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

The Walrus posted:

That double ear is lovely. Is that just one score??

Thanks! Just one score, yeah. Simple slice with a lame down the middle.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just a simple sourdough sandwich loaf.

Giving some away to people so pre-slicing it since I know they're not used to having to slice it themselves.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a large cubic container with measuring marks on it, that I use for proofing. It's shorter than my pain de mie pan. When I dump the dough out, it's in a square shape so I have to stretch it a ton to make it wide enough. I was thinking that if I did my proofing in a container that is more like the shape of the pan, it would require less working and stretching and crap, to get the bread shaped properly. I'd have to shape it anyway of course, but yeah. Also for the no-knead bread, I want to make that in a loaf form and it's harder when you start from a rounder shape.

Am I wrong, and it doesn't actually matter? Would the actual pain de mie pan work for the first prove? should I get some kind of long proofing thing? or is my large 6-quart cubic container fine, and I need to get better at shaping? (I do need to get better at shaping for sure)

Edit: Pain De Mie #2: huge success. I used hot water and microwaved milk, mixed it in the stand mixer for 10 minutes total including 2 stop with scraping, then it almost passed the windowpane test but tore (I might have mixed a bit too long), then put it in a slightly preheated oven with the light on to proof. It bulked up enough in about 1H50 or so. I shaped it and put it in the pan, it was slightly misshapen in an hourglass sort of shape but mostly ok. I put it back in the oven to proof. It got to about 3/4 or 4/5ths the size of the pan and I put the lid on and put it in.

The top of the loaf did hit the lid but didn't fill the pan entirely, I'd say maybe 96% full or so, since it's not completely square shaped. The corners are missing on the top. That's such a minor detail though, I think this loaf is almost perfect. I'm really happy! I haven't had any but I'll see later!

I noticed the toaster I got (I did get a long 4-slice as someone recommended! That made selection a lot harder) burns the sides of my pain de mie, but maybe it was just the previous loaf and some characteristic of it. I moved the slices around to find if maybe it was just a hotspot burning the sides, but it wasn't. Anywhere I put it in, the bread would get burned on the side. I'll see if the 'better made bread' qualities of this new loaf make it burn less. Who knows!

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 13, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I baked my first sourdough following this guide except I had to put it in the fridge overnight (got busy and ran out of time) and bake the next morning instead of the same day. It turned out okay, but way too sour. Is there something I can do to turn down the sourness of my starter?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I baked my first sourdough following this guide except I had to put it in the fridge overnight (got busy and ran out of time) and bake the next morning instead of the same day. It turned out okay, but way too sour. Is there something I can do to turn down the sourness of my starter?

That's probably not your starter. The longer you leave your bread to rise (and in the fridge it is still rising), the sourer it gets. Try it again in 12 hours rather than 24 and see how you like it.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
So I tried to make bread for the first time after buying a stand mixer 3 weeks ago. I followed the steps to the King Arthur Japanese Milk Bread (the loaf version not the rolls version). While it looked good and tasted good, it didn't have that "press the finished loaf down and it springs back" quality that I see in most milk bread videos on youtube, it kinda just stays squished. Is that just cause of the recipe I chose or did I not knead it enough or something?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I can’t help, but it looks fuckin great.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

horchata posted:

So I tried to make bread for the first time after buying a stand mixer 3 weeks ago. I followed the steps to the King Arthur Japanese Milk Bread (the loaf version not the rolls version). While it looked good and tasted good, it didn't have that "press the finished loaf down and it springs back" quality that I see in most milk bread videos on youtube, it kinda just stays squished. Is that just cause of the recipe I chose or did I not knead it enough or something?

looks awesome. do you mean the crust of the crumb? it’s possible it could be just a little bit underdone or underproofed.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
It didn't have the springy texture I see in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc3coiL36Cg&t=347s

Might be underdone, I'll bake another loaf this weekend.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

horchata posted:

It didn't have the springy texture I see in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc3coiL36Cg&t=347s

Might be underdone, I'll bake another loaf this weekend.

if you have a probe thermometer, either one that you can leave in once it looks done or in instant read, a good target to hit for soft white bread like this is around 190-195F or 88-91C

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Baked a nice seeded sourdough loaf this morning, flax, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin and carraway seeds. Came out real nice.

Still working on my batard shaping but perfectly fine for a loaf for the week.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you ever wonder what would happen if you made banana bread with plain flour then mixed it 50/50 with extra yeasty dough?

Well wonder no longer my friends!

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Bread goons, help me with my pain de campagne. I'm using the recipe from America's Test Kitchen's Bread Illustrated book (which has been a great starter text) and I've made it probably 8 times, and it comes out slightly differently each time. Here's one I made, tonight:

The one I made the previous night was incredibly goopy and was basically a flat, squat ciabatta. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the hydration levels and some vagueness in the directions. The instructions always say to "slowly add liquid until [description of texture]" like "dough clears sides of bowl and no dry flour remains". I can't tell if this means that I should stop adding liquid at that point, as I usually have 4 ounces or more of sponge/pre-ferment plus water left, at that point.

In my experience, most of the time if I keep going past the point where the dry flour is gone, then I start to get a squishy, slick, wet-play-doh like texture and I have to manually fold the dough in the stand mixer's bowl with a spatula to get it to incorporate. There have been one or two instances where I've managed to add pretty much all of the sponge/water mixture and the dough comes out of the colander and couche without turning into a wet blob that spreads out on the peel, but these are definitely the exception.

That seems really weird to me, as I would think that the hydration levels of a recipe are already well-decided in advance, and that ambient humidity levels aren't going to change that the amount of water I need to add, that much. Can anyone share their experiences with varying hydration levels and leftover liquid?

Lastly, how are people getting those incredible "ears" where the slashed surface of the dough separates and curls up into this amazing crusty wave?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

null_pointer posted:

Bread goons, help me with my pain de campagne. I'm using the recipe from America's Test Kitchen's Bread Illustrated book (which has been a great starter text) and I've made it probably 8 times, and it comes out slightly differently each time. Here's one I made, tonight:

The one I made the previous night was incredibly goopy and was basically a flat, squat ciabatta. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the hydration levels and some vagueness in the directions. The instructions always say to "slowly add liquid until [description of texture]" like "dough clears sides of bowl and no dry flour remains". I can't tell if this means that I should stop adding liquid at that point, as I usually have 4 ounces or more of sponge/pre-ferment plus water left, at that point.

In my experience, most of the time if I keep going past the point where the dry flour is gone, then I start to get a squishy, slick, wet-play-doh like texture and I have to manually fold the dough in the stand mixer's bowl with a spatula to get it to incorporate. There have been one or two instances where I've managed to add pretty much all of the sponge/water mixture and the dough comes out of the colander and couche without turning into a wet blob that spreads out on the peel, but these are definitely the exception.

That seems really weird to me, as I would think that the hydration levels of a recipe are already well-decided in advance, and that ambient humidity levels aren't going to change that the amount of water I need to add, that much. Can anyone share their experiences with varying hydration levels and leftover liquid?

Lastly, how are people getting those incredible "ears" where the slashed surface of the dough separates and curls up into this amazing crusty wave?

you should be able to calculate your hydration ahead of time, yes. i don't know what recipe you're using (feel free to post your ratios), but typically you can add your flour and starter together and set it to working, then if you have additional water to add, you pour in a little bit and let it incorporate. keep doing this until your dough is attached to the bottom of the bowl as it (the dough) spins, but is stiff enough to clear the sides.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Behold: B R E A D C U B E

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nice! And do tell us how?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

learnincurve posted:

Nice! And do tell us how?

https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-sandwich-bread-recipe/

Used his calculator to scale the recipe to a 9x4 pan. Also used about 50g of Einkorn flour instead of all white bread flour.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gorgeous color. Gimme that crumb shot.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Gorgeous color. Gimme that crumb shot.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Unbelievable. That's perfect. Supreme job!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hell yeah

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nicely done

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is there a ton of benefit to using fresh milled/fancy flour as compared to grocery store stuff? My store has a bunch of King Arthur options, but I found a mill near me and want to check it out.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
made milk bread again

texture on the inside is a lot better than last week (has that spring I was looking for). Might tent the top since it was a little browner than I wanted but otherwise an overall improvement.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nicely done! ^^^^^

Democratic Pirate posted:

Is there a ton of benefit to using fresh milled/fancy flour as compared to grocery store stuff? My store has a bunch of King Arthur options, but I found a mill near me and want to check it out.

imo:

as with all things, it depends. working with fresh-milled (as in using the flour within a day or two of it being milled) can make for better flavour, different enzymatic activity, etc. will it be like a giant standout difference? probably not for white though it may be for whole grain.

i see no difference when baking with rando ap vs a premium brand like king arthur, though. just gotta know what the general level of protein is in whatever you’re using.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No crumb shot just yet, but I think I've made a pretty good stab at making the light and crispy version of Banh Mi rolls using my Anova Precision Oven.

The oven was set to 410F and 100% steam. It lost a lot of heat when I opened it to put the rolls in, and this shot was as it was heating back up.

Finished product. I made the rolls too long so they proofed into each other, but otherwise I loved the result. The original recipe said to go for 14 minutes with the water pan in the oven, and another 10 minutes with the water pan pulled. I set the combi to use 100% steam until that 14 minute mark, changed it to 0% steam, but a minute or two after doing that, I temp'd the bread and was getting 206-208F results and pulled the bread from the oven.

I used https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FduMMBM-dQ as my guideline. Issues as follows:

1) The called-for 265ml of water was inadequate. I added around 20-30ml of extra water to the stand mixer to get the proper wetness to the dough that the video showed. The Kitchenaid was able to take that added water and incorporate it into the dough.

2) I used Active Dry Yeast instead of Instant Dry Yeast, and I naively followed the advice that it could be bloomed in room temperature water. I am in Iowa and our room temperature is sub-70F. Even though I did not get foam from proofing the yeast, I proceeded with the recipe. When I got to the initial proof, I set my Anova Precision Oven to 85F and 60% steam, and got next to no rise in the expected 45 minutes. After waiting for a good 2-3 hours after contemplating starting from scratch, I got a bit of rise, and decided to increase the oven temperature to 90F. That got me a good rise and I proceeded as normal.

3) I stretched the dough too much laterally. As part of pouring out the dough, slapping it out, rolling it out, and forming the rolls, I made the roll too lengthy to fit two rolls in a row on the baguette tray and therefore when undergoing the final rise, the rolls melded.

4) The recipe calls for cooking in a standard oven with a water tray, spritzing with water at 2 minutes, pulling the water tray at 14 minutes, and ending the cook at 24 minutes. Instead, I set the oven for 410F and 100% steam, cooking for 14 minutes, setting the steam to 0%, and then temping the loaves. I was just 1 or 2 minutes into the no-steam cook that I realized that the loaves were already at 206-208F+ and needed to be pulled.

I'm going to hit the Asian market tomorrow to get cold cuts, daikon, and other items, but I feel like I'm on the cusp of having the first really authentic Banh Mi since Houston and I'm really excited for it. As far as just plain generic bread judgement goes, my wife says this is the best bread I've baked ever.

Edit: I also think I need to go a bit deeper with my razor blade slash in the dough.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 21, 2021