Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

The_Doctor posted:

Avengers were being paid at some point, otherwise how did Vision buy a plot of land and a potential house construction?

Vision was running 51% of the bitcoin mining in the MCU

His Wallet password is what Hayward was really after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Sokovia Accord signees probably got benefits not signees didn't.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The_Doctor posted:

Avengers were being paid at some point, otherwise how did Vision buy a plot of land and a potential house construction?

We've seen how efficient Vision is in an office environment. He probably got a few jobs and worked a bunch of overtime over the course of a week.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm enjoying all this talk of op sec plausibility and theory on how things should be done when the literal former vice president is homeless as we speak. Like, have people forgotten that the US government regularly does stupid poo poo and/or ignores rules on a whim?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

stev posted:

We've seen how efficient Vision is in an office environment. He probably got a few jobs and worked a bunch of overtime over the course of a week.

Unless someone gives him a piece of gum.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Like, have people forgotten that the US government regularly does stupid poo poo and/or ignores rules on a whim?

Yes. Yes they have.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The_Doctor posted:

He bought a lovely empty lot in a post industrial blight section of New Jersey. So sure he had money, but not much.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe he chipped a tiny bit of vibranium off his body and sold it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Koirhor posted:

This is exactly what took me out of it for Sam’s story. It stretches credulity to the max. This would be a red flag for normal Top Secret security clearance people.

There's entire industries devoted to financially inmeserating veterans. In a show about superheroes what strains credulity is a man out of the military down on his luck???

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think you're probably supposed to walk away with the idea that, yes, Falcon has refused to sell his image or to do commercials for major corporations. He probably could. Hell he could probably set up a signing and charge 50 bucks for anautograph, 100 for a picture, 200 for a handshake and walk away with multiple thousand.

Not everyone wants to do that or be seen as that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edmund Lava posted:

He bought a lovely empty lot in a post industrial blight section of New Jersey. So sure he had money, but not much.

The implication is that it wasn’t like that pre-snap.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Sam has to teach Bucky how to break dance so they can win the local talent show and pay off the mortgage on the family house before the bank forecloses on it.

Also Bucky killed the dad of the rival family when he was Winter Soldier. And Hydra has a breakdancing team that is raising funds for a super tank to attack Atlanta. Uh oh, racist banker is a judge! And then Wanda and Vision appear as late entries into the contest...

Dammit now I want this so bad, this is like that rejected Picard show plot about the missing village bell...

Tars Tarkas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 20, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wasn't there some implication that hayward bought that plot to trigger Wanda

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Azhais posted:

Wasn't there some implication that hayward bought that plot to trigger Wanda

No? She looks at the deed, signed by Vision, The after getting back in the car from meeting with Hayward. The implication was that reading the deed is what sent her to go try and bury Vision.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The_Doctor posted:

The implication is that it wasn’t like that pre-snap.

Where was that implied? I never got the impression that Westveiw was anything but one of the dozens of run down towns in New Jersey that exist right now.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Marvel heroes are supposed to be relatable people in extraordinary situations doing extraordinary things because they are good (morally).

Tony giving gently caress you money to everyone just makes it seem like rich people loving the world up (more so).

The bank scene should have had similar to what the other posters said another 1 minute of "Hey, 4 billion people came back, most of whom we legally deemed dead, their estates are hosed, credit is hosed, the system just isn't set up to deal with this. The "returned" fund is focusing mostly on housing needs etc not small business loans"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
drat, WandaVision gets high marks from me just for all the Malcolm in the Middle nods. But seriously, this show blows every other MCU show out of the water so much that it isn't even funny.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Pretty hosed up that a bio-synthetic being can get a bank loan but a black hero gets turned away.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Would Vision technically count as Tony Stark's son/child and have access to the Stark Bank Accounts/Money? He's partially made of JARVIS who definitely was purchasing things on Stark's behalf.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I imagine Tony had a bank account set up for Vision out of some weird paternal/megalomaniacal complex to skirt the very real issue of Vision's legal personhood so Vision could live life incognito, while Sam was/is the government's bitch.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

apatheticman posted:

The bank scene should have had similar to what the other posters said another 1 minute of "Hey, 4 billion people came back, most of whom we legally deemed dead, their estates are hosed, credit is hosed, the system just isn't set up to deal with this. The "returned" fund is focusing mostly on housing needs etc not small business loans"

"the scene with the racism should have been set up in a way as to give us a way to interpret it as something other than racism"

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

And now, Vision is even whiter.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bleck posted:

can't wait to have to explain basic stuff about white supremacy to MCU fans every time a new episode of this drops

I appreciate this thread for it, even if it aggravates you personally. I speak as someone not from America though, and whose experience of American racial issues comes entirely from American media. So something like "do I recognize you from LSU?" would have gone entirely over my head, since I didn't even recognize LSU as a sports thing; never mind that there was some racial bias informing it.

G-III posted:

At some point you need to dial down the tactical realism voice in your head. Sure the falcon could probably do a number of things with his status as someone who helped save half of all living beings in the universe to get some money but then that character is no longer able to face relatable conflict. "hmmm family seafood operation is under financial duress, I'll just do some japanese noodle cup commercials and get this debt paid off" does not exactly make for a great story. It would be funny though.

I'd think the drama of balancing your personal ideals against financial necessity is pretty good personally, and could form the basis of some interesting thematic work as well as interesting drama.

Shageletic posted:

There's entire industries devoted to financially inmeserating veterans. In a show about superheroes what strains credulity is a man out of the military down on his luck???

Sam isn't out of the military though; he's explicitly still part of the military. He must be pretty well trusted and placed in that military too, given that he's running black ops missions solo using prototype tech years ahead of what everyone else is using. That said, does Sam actually own the wings? I can't remember Winter Soldier's plot in regards to that too well, so I don't recall whether he was given them as part of his duties, whether they were gifted to him personally etc. I'd assume he owns them now at the very least, given that he's working on repairing Red Wing personally, but he also mentions that other people tend to mess it up when they do so, which implies other technicians have taken a look at it at some point in the recent past and that he's just gotten fed up of having to do redo their work. Also, was Sam always meant to have some technical aptitude/experience? I don't remember it being part of his character prior to this. I wonder if he's contributed anything to the wings himself, beyond their initial design if he's competent enough to repair Red Wing.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 20, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

Vision is technically Jarvis so Stark owes him decades of back pay unless he's into AI slavery.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Bleck posted:

"the scene with the racism should have been set up in a way as to give us a way to interpret it as something other than racism"

So you throw in "but x y and z got loans".. jeesh

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

tsob posted:

I appreciate this thread for it, even if it aggravates you personally. I speak as someone not from America though, and whose experience of American racial issues comes entirely from American media. So something like "do I recognize you from LSU?" would have gone entirely over my head, since I didn't even recognize LSU as a sports thing; never mind that there was some racial bias informing it.

I'd think the drama of balancing your personal ideals against financial necessity is pretty good personally, and could form the basis of some interesting thematic work as well as interesting drama.

Sam isn't out of the military though; he's explicitly still part of the military. He must be pretty well trusted and placed in that military too, given that he's running black ops missions solo using prototype tech years ahead of what everyone else is using. That said, does Sam actually own the wings? I can't remember Winter Soldier's plot in regards to that too well, so I don't recall whether he was given them as part of his duties, whether they were gifted to him personally etc. I'd assume he owns them now at the very least, given that he's working on repairing Red Wing personally, but he also mentions that other people tend to mess it up when they do so, which implies other technicians have taken a look at it at some point in the recent past and that he's just gotten fed up of having to do redo their work. Also, was Sam always meant to have some technical aptitude/experience? I don't remember it being part of his character prior to this. I wonder if he's contributed anything to the wings himself, beyond their initial design if he's competent enough to repair Red Wing.

Cap and Black Widow stole them off screen for him from the military. But it's debatable whether it's even the same wings at this point. He definitely didn't have RedWing in Winter Soldier.

Also, is Sam still in the military? He has contracts with them, but he never signed up again as far as I know. He seems to just be a contractor.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 20, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Azhais posted:

The entire planet should be a catastrophe right now. Just imagine all the inheritance issues, etc

Not to mention you'd probably end up with burned down cities as suddenly there wasn't power maintenance, blipped ovens being left on, firefighters vanishing, etc. They really did a half assed job on the snap aftermath

Every nuclear power plant in the world would have suddenly been severely understaffed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Nuclear power plants, especially post-Chernobyl, are designed to gracefully fail if poo poo happens.

I'd be much more concerned about the fail-deadly nuclear weapon deterrents like Perimeter or Radio 4 LW.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Thundercracker posted:

Also, is Sam still in the military? He has contracts with them, but he never signed up again as far as I know. He seems to just be a contractor.

If he's not in the military and doing this all on contract that's even worse, honestly, since he should be able to dictate terms in that case. Including pay. It's not like there's going to be a lot of competition that has access to that level of technology or experience. Is he doing it freelance in that case, or as part of a larger organization of some kind?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

He's not looking for money for himself, he's trying to offer to pay for a loan for his sister. The bank isn't interested in giving his sister a loan (that he's going to help pay for), it doesn't necessarily matter how much money he personally makes from his job when the whole point is the bank screwing him and his sister over for being black.

He could pay for the boat himself, but that makes his sister reliant on him directly, instead of simply him helping her out in a way she can actually pay-back (and his income might be going towards maintenance of his gear if he's a contracted agent instead of military employed).

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Falcon could probably hit a gofundme goal in 2 hours or less.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It'a gonna turn out Flag Smasher only robbed that bank because he too was turned down for a loan.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Thundercracker posted:

Cap and Black Widow stole them off screen for him from the military. But it's debatable whether it's even the same wings at this point. He definitely didn't have RedWing in Winter Soldier.

They were specifically referred to as Stark tech in the show so I assume they’re new or improved ones Tony made based on the originals they stole in Cap 2.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It makes me wonder if Pepper is still just living in the cabin in the woods with her kid and said gently caress all this business poo poo I'm just going to own a poo poo load of stock and raise my kid as a hermit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lord_Magmar posted:

He's not looking for money for himself, he's trying to offer to pay for a loan for his sister. The bank isn't interested in giving his sister a loan (that he's going to help pay for), it doesn't necessarily matter how much money he personally makes from his job when the whole point is the bank screwing him and his sister over for being black.

He could pay for the boat himself, but that makes his sister reliant on him directly, instead of simply him helping her out in a way she can actually pay-back (and his income might be going towards maintenance of his gear if he's a contracted agent instead of military employed).

He literally said to the loan manager that he gets paid in goodwill and sometimes people like to help out which is why his financials are all over the place

If they were trying to make a point about the struggles of being black they should have just had him have an income and still not getting the loan. Cause if I went to the bank asking for a loan with little collateral where the two principles have a negative income and erratic gig income, I wouldn't get it either

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Electric Phantasm posted:

It'a gonna turn out Flag Smasher only robbed that bank because he too was turned down for a loan.
I mean, that has to have been deliberate.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think we to actually get on the same page what's even happening in that scene because I think people are getting confused the actual details. Like, for example Sam isn't offering to pay the loan. He's just co-signing it.

My rememberance is that Sam offered her money flat out, but sis refused. He, in turn, refused to approve the boat sale. The compromise is a refinancing of the existing loans in which Sam would co-sign.

This is where people are getting tripped up because even if Sam had money it's irrelevant. He can't pay his sister even if he wants to. He can only guarantee the loan. But because of the blip he's a bad credit risk because he's had no earnings for 5+ years and that has nothing to do with cash on hand.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It would seem like a simpler solution if he just bought the boat off her, frankly. She wants to sell, get a liability off her hands and make some money for her family and he doesn't want to let go of a symbol of his past. Just buy it and repair it in his spare time as a hobby.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

The_Doctor posted:

Vision is a galaxy-brain robut. He can hack in and do the decimal-shaving money thing from Office Space Superman III any time he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AJA posted:

Vision is a galaxy-brain robut. He can hack in and do the decimal-shaving money thing from Office Space Superman III any time he wants.

Jarvis obviously knows all of Tony's bank information