Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Barudak posted:

I think I unintentionally revealed my old company was scamming a client to the client.

'unintentionally'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

TacticalHoodie posted:

I have so many questions about this

Extremely same.

EvilHawk posted:

We have four week sprints. For one of my teams this works perfectly - we start to get tickets into test in the second week, the work flows nicely, and we can plan accordingly. Two of my teams are completely incapable of doing this. We are entering week four of the sprint and we haven't had a single ticket to test. It was supposed to be released at lunchtime and they've suddenly found issues so it'll be delayed until at least Monday. I've replanned the testing with my senior TA and there's literally no way we can meet the deadline, so of course it'll go down as testing missing the deadlines because we're the last in the line.

I keep getting asked how we can get better and "loving tell the devs to do their loving jobs" is apparently not an acceptable answer. Either they can't estimate their work correctly or they have no idea what's actually required and I'm not sure which is worse.

I'm sure you already know it, but you're doing Agile wrong. Sprints aren't deadlines. You might want to see if you can get QA testing into a completely different sprint cadence. Let your own metrics speak for themselves.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Volmarias posted:

I'm sure you already know it, but you're doing Agile wrong. Sprints aren't deadlines. You might want to see if you can get QA testing into a completely different sprint cadence. Let your own metrics speak for themselves.

Ugh, if something can't be finished without QA, then moving it to a different sprint is pointless as you're just generating too much WIP.

Anyway, the underlying problem here is probably something like priority juggling because of bad management.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MrQueasy posted:

Ugh, if something can't be finished without QA, then moving it to a different sprint is pointless as you're just generating too much WIP.

Anyway, the underlying problem here is probably something like priority juggling because of bad management.

Sure, but ignoring the fact that things have already broken down too far already (treating tasks in a sprint as deadlines that have to all be met, blaming others for your own problems without pushback), dev is just mashing the "pending verification" button days before the end of the sprint and putting the blame for poor metrics at the feet of the QA team, because that's the only way they can get things delivered on time. So, since metrics matter, the way to solve this is to make a separate bucket for QA, with their own expected cadence and schedule. Tasks in this bucket are provisionally done, but regain their points when kicked back. QA can test 8 points per week and the 4 week sprint has 24 points? Ok, when 20 points of stories land all at once they'll be triaged and tested in the appropriate order. Meanwhile, anything found to have a blocking problem gets kicked back to dev for their current (or preferably, next) sprint.

Basically, if "tell the dev team to stop being a bunch of fuckups" and "tell management to grow a pair and push back" aren't viable management solutions, specifically separating QA and dev seems like a management solution that can at least show that dev is currently overloaded and not providing work at a regular cadence, but instead rushing things out the door at the last second because that's Next Month's Dev's (and today's QA's) problem now.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 19, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

gently caress Agile. That's the solution. gently caress it. Put it in the garbage where it belongs.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I agree with all of these points, even the contradictory ones.

The problem is the one team completely bought into Agile, worked on it so everyone was playing to the same tune, and now have an agreed cadence, and the other two just... haven't. They're technically separate projects (one public facing, one behind a paywall) so they're managed in slightly different ways.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

There's also the "favor people over processes" part.

Agile cannot fail, it can only be failed :ussr:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Beware anywhere trying out new management schemes like they are clothes. Someone is trying to fix dysfunction by cargo culting something functional. Functional processes do not fix dysfunctional people and things. Functional processes are a result of ironing out all the wrinkly people and things in the way of the process.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I’ve been doing unofficial agile coaching as a product owner/scrum master for like a decade and I’ve yet to see a company of decent size actually follow through with being agile even after spending millions trying to do an agile transformation

Leadership always defaults back to waterfall like a bunch of children because they get panic attacks if they can’t put delivery dates on poo poo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My favorite agile ism is scaled agile, which is usually waterfall but we get to use the agile words like a big boy.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

My favorite is when there's a requirements gathering phase and the developers are presented with a clear idea of what the business wants and they don't hit us with new requirements one week before go-live after SIT and UAT are done and we're supposed to have a golden copy of the code.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Top boss just said I'll be reporting all these pointless loving metrics every week now and said it like someone had already discussed with me what it was and what they wanted. No one had, of course.

Also he named two people before me who are in the department 'helping' me. Except no one helps me at all and I run the entire department on my own. Fuckin a

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

More tech nerd bullshit:

In the mid 2000s, my employer (a global conglomerate) flew all the on-site technicians to their HQ. They showed off their brand new, privately owned, $30M-to-build AS400 datacenter. That same day they told us 1) The whole company was switching to Novell, and 2) Our division was the only one in the company that had on-site techs, but our jobs were safe!!!

When I put my notice in a couple months later, the head of IT said "I hope this isn't because of what we told you about the on-site techs!" :eyeroll: I got word my replacement was fired about 5 months later as they got rid of all the on-site techs.

Not a tech nerd summary: Imagine your company sold cell phones and being told in 2021 their new direction was selling Blackberry devices.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

vyst posted:

Leadership always defaults back to waterfall like a bunch of children because they get panic attacks if they can’t put delivery dates on poo poo

Which I always think is pretty fair. A customer wants to know when they’re going to get their poo poo. In waterfall I did in-depth estimates and they could look it at and see delivery dates and demo dates. If they’ve never experienced a waterfall estimate being completely wrong, what upfront incentive does a customer or manager have for switching to agile where instead i do a big shrug and say “idk, I can start working on it and we’ll see how it goes I guess”?

Especially dumb was where we brought in ‘agile’ but the customer had to have fixed deadlines for regulatory reasons, so we worked in 1 week sprints but still only released every 6 months

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Crackbone posted:

1) The whole company was switching to Novell,

Honestly I'd call this the overriding warning sign

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Our parent company sold us materials to make our poo poo. Said parent company made us do "Just in Time" manufacturing training - young, stupid me tried to actually use it. I built out a workflow that would reduce our standing inventory by half, as long as our parent company could ship materials to us in four days. When I presented the idea everybody said "lol that will never happen" and I promptly stopped giving a poo poo about any further company initatives.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

vyst posted:

I’ve been doing unofficial agile coaching as a product owner/scrum master for like a decade and I’ve yet to see a company of decent size actually follow through with being agile even after spending millions trying to do an agile transformation

Yep, I’ve seen this, and seen product have to retroactively create a waterfall plan mid way through for management, as though it’s useful.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
No my workplace specifically, but i've spent about a year trying and failing to get a hard black and white answer to 'Do I need a permit to do *thing*, or can I get away with a simple notification to the regulator?' Literally nobody will answer the question beyond 'well it's kind of a grey zone'. Each permit costs $250 and can take up to 6 months which means nothing useful can actually get done if I need to go that route.

Yesterday I spoke with the government head of all this poo poo, he was a surprisingly chill guy and his response was 'yeah it's a grey zone, it's the government so nobody wants to take responsibility for it. Here's the name of a person, have them email the regulator and they'll get you your approval if we can have access to all the data that comes out of the project'. Finally. loving months of calling around and badgering people. gently caress the government mentality.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

TotalLossBrain posted:

Back in 2005 I worked a refueling outage at a nuclear power plant. One of the main coolant pump motors - not sure the HP, but they are giant, fuckoff motors - got sent off to be rebuilt.
During acceptance testing it was noticed that something had been wound backwards and the motor didn't spin as expected. It had to be sent across the country again to be rebuilt, again, costing the operator a fuckton of money in lost power productivity.

Didn’t the San Onofre plant decide to install a completely new reactor a few (probably more than a few) years ago, got the whole thing installed and someone looked at the plans and was like, “isn’t this installed backwards?”

The solution to having done millions of dollars of work to install a brand new nuclear reactor—backwards—was to just say, “welp, gently caress it...” and decommission the whole plant.

At least I think that’s what happened.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ah yes, the disaster that was the San Onofre steam generator replacement

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Tetramin posted:

drat people who didn’t grow up as gamers so muting/unmuting is second nature. I’ve never accidentally been in the wrong mute state. :c00lbutt:

I sometimes pretend to accidentally leave mute on so somebody else answers the question or takes the action item. See also: camera stopped working, meeting software crashed, network dropped a bunch, etc.

Some days these are the only minutes I get for using the toilet. Making up fake problems so I can steal a single minute in 10-12 hours of meetings to go pee.

Why yes, I am starting interviews next week!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

'unintentionally'?

I was like "I wish I could have worked for you all full time, instead of working on you + other business" And they were like "uh, you were, they told us you were 100% on out business" which was never communicated to me, as far as I knew everyone was aware I wasn't 100% on their business.

DrunkMidget
May 29, 2003
'Shag'd Wo'bram?" -Borra

Hyzenth1ay posted:

I sometimes pretend to accidentally leave mute on so somebody else answers the question or takes the action item. See also: camera stopped working, meeting software crashed, network dropped a bunch, etc.

Some days these are the only minutes I get for using the toilet. Making up fake problems so I can steal a single minute in 10-12 hours of meetings to go pee.

Why yes, I am starting interviews next week!

I mute myself, head into the bathroom with the laptop, and go take a poo poo during meetings (we don't use cameras). The future is awesome.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm so happy that I have very few meetings every week. Granted, I don't make any money but at least the few meetings I have are scheduled, expected and short.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DrunkMidget posted:

I mute myself, head into the bathroom with the laptop, and go take a poo poo during meetings (we don't use cameras). The future is awesome.

Tell us about how you thoroughly sanitise the laptop before leaving the bathroom and having it touch other things, or your hands touch other things after touching it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

You have thoroughly drank the koolaid if you are taking meetings into the shitter.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I have a teammate who threw an absolute tantrum when management announced that they wanted people to return to the office for at least 3 days per week. She brought it up in every meeting. Her concern wasn't health based, she just liked the money she'd saved on parking.

There is one major rule in the office now: if you’re sick, any symptoms at all, even non-COVID related, you do not go in. You work from home, get tested, and don’t return until you’re healthy again. That’s that.

Guess who made a point of going to work with a cough and sore throat, and who then had to be sent home? And then did it again the very next day? :rolleye:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Y’all need to get some Bluetooth headphones or earbuds and take your meetings in the shitter that way instead of getting poo poo particles all over the thing you have your hands on all day

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Creature posted:

I have a teammate who threw an absolute tantrum when management announced that they wanted people to return to the office for at least 3 days per week. She brought it up in every meeting. Her concern wasn't health based, she just liked the money she'd saved on parking.

There is one major rule in the office now: if you’re sick, any symptoms at all, even non-COVID related, you do not go in. You work from home, get tested, and don’t return until you’re healthy again. That’s that.

Guess who made a point of going to work with a cough and sore throat, and who then had to be sent home? And then did it again the very next day? :rolleye:

I am with your teammate on this (aside from the tantrumming - bring it up in a civilised fashion). Screw management for forcing people to go in to the office during a plague. WFH works.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

I am with your teammate on this (aside from the tantrumming - bring it up in a civilised fashion). Screw management for forcing people to go in to the office during a plague. WFH works.

I already told my VP I’m not stepping foot inside the office until i get my vaccine. If they want to speed that process up god bless them

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Called me at 9AM on a Saturday because our QA department is a dumpster fire.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

satanic splash-back posted:

You have thoroughly drank the koolaid if you are taking meetings into the shitter.

100% but also

wooger posted:

Tell us about how you thoroughly sanitise the laptop before leaving the bathroom and having it touch other things, or your hands touch other things after touching it.

if they're the only one using it who cares?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got my current job entirely in half wrinkled shirts and underwear. It's like a modern version of rear end-pennies with the confidence it gave me during interviews. The future does, in fact, own. Thanks COVID!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Bringing your whole laptop into the bathroom for a meeting where you barely even need to be present is foolish and wasteful, join the meeting from mobile. You're all loving around on the phone when you poop anyway so it's like nothing changed except people think you're being diligent.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I got my current job entirely in half wrinkled shirts and underwear. It's like a modern version of rear end-pennies with the confidence it gave me during interviews. The future does, in fact, own. Thanks COVID!

I have a "webex Interview shirt". It's ironed, it gets put on just before the interview over webcam, and taken off right after and hung behind my bedroom door. It's been used multiple times so far and it is still perfectly ironed.

:yotj:ing is orders of magnitude easier during COVID as going for and taking interviews can be done easily during work hours without anyone being any the wiser. You don't need to take time off for it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
:eng101:: We need to dramatically reduce the space taken up on our backup drives as they have reached capacity and it's stopping any further backups. Please advise of all defunct or outdated files that can be permanently deleted.

:thunkher:: Here's the list of files.

:eng101:: Do you want us to delete all of the files, or just the ones in the list you provided that are highlighted?

:thunkher:: All of them. But before you do so could you please back them up in case we need them again?

:eng99:: :cripes:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Breetai posted:

:eng101:: We need to dramatically reduce the space taken up on our backup drives as they have reached capacity and it's stopping any further backups. Please advise of all defunct or outdated files that can be permanently deleted.

:thunkher:: Here's the list of files.

:eng101:: Do you want us to delete all of the files, or just the ones in the list you provided that are highlighted?

:thunkher:: All of them. But before you do so could you please back them up in case we need them again?

:eng99:: :cripes:

That's a lol. What was the updated response?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

that exchange is dumb as hell but 'we ran out of room on the backup drives, can we delete some of your poo poo?' is a solid 2nd dumbest

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
No Meetings Fridays.
Just means 'Permanent Three Day Weekends' for upper managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

that exchange is dumb as hell but 'we ran out of room on the backup drives, can we delete some of your poo poo?' is a solid 2nd dumbest

Yeah its the equivalent of having employees sign a sheet to take a sugar packet by the coffee machine.

Someone told me they worked at a company where management wanted people to spend an hour each week checking their account on the mainframe and delete any unneeded files to save space. They got that shot down by showing an hour of every employees time was worth far more than the extra space. That was 1980's storage costs too!