Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

IIRC the Batfleck movie was going to have his identity exposed by Deathstroke. It's possible they were moving away from the whole heroes having secret identities thing like the MCU has mostly done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Post - batman loving joker

https://twitter.com/BillyCorben/status/1373408946455769089?s=19

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

ImpAtom posted:

When you have five of the most powerful people in existence hanging out with you you can probably fake a "wow actually Doomsday knocked me out to sea where I landed on an abandoned island until Aquaman heard my cries and rescued me" thing.
Plus everyone with a name knows he's Superman anyway.

That's fair, and similar to how I remember the comics playing out. A shapeshifter, Supergirl, took his place and pretended that Kent was stuck under some rubble form Doomsday's rampage.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I still suspect Fishburne's Perry White knows Clark is Superman and would just keep up the act so he can hire Clark back and keep calling him a nerd and giving him poo poo

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Roman posted:

I still suspect Fishburne's Perry White knows Clark is Superman and would just keep up the act so he can hire Clark back and keep calling him a nerd and giving him poo poo

I mean, imagine the ego trip knowing you’re superman’s boss, even if you’re a good person

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Perry: “I had to fake Clark’s death so he could do some investigation at the behest of General Swanick.”
MM as General: “Uh yeah. Clark was totally on a top secret mission for me...Superman what now?”

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Roman posted:

Well I’m sure he knows that Clark and Lois are dating and he, Jenny, and the other guy saw Superman and Lois kiss after the World Engine was destroyed so they’ve probably all figured it out.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Roman posted:

IIRC the Batfleck movie was going to have his identity exposed by Deathstroke. It's possible they were moving away from the whole heroes having secret identities thing like the MCU has mostly done.

*Bruce saves his secret identity by telling people he isn't Batman, he just finances his operation*

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“God and eternity in their awful majesty would stand unceasingly before our eyes. … Thus most actions conforming to the law would be done from fear, few would be done from hope, none from duty. The moral worth of actions, on which alone the worth of the person and even of the world depends in the eyes of supreme wisdom, would not exist at all. The conduct of man, so long as his nature remained as it is now, would be changed into mere mechanism, where, as in a puppet show, everything would gesticulate well but no life would be found in the figures.”

Yea man I think they just thought anti life equation sounded cool.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Well I’m sure he knows that Clark and Lois are dating and he, Jenny, and the other guy saw Superman and Lois kiss after the World Engine was destroyed so they’ve probably all figured it out.

All-Star Superman had a flashback with some of his childhood friends pretending not to know. Everyone just pretending not to know to spare his feelings would be p funny

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

pr0p posted:

Yea man I think they just thought anti life equation sounded cool.

The name honestly doesn't sound that cool, and the basic concept is what Kant wrote but shorter. The idea is that this equation provides the reader direct knowledge of the structure of the universe, and thereby renders them incapable of faith.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

ZSJL Batman’s Christian faith is presented sincerely

Some posts in this thread feel like they came from some alien planet and then very roughly translated into English. Are you using a word generator algorithm?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arkage posted:

Some posts in this thread feel like they came from some alien planet and then very roughly translated into English. Are you using a word generator algorithm?

He's a gimmick, just ignore him.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, I watched the first half of it. Was thinking of watching the rest tonight, but my wife was actually having fun with it despite making fun of it. Like it's a two hour first act, but it's rarely not engaging.

It's definitely my favorite of his DC movies so far. But granted for me that's still a super low bar. I still can't really connect with his characters and the action just doesn't do it for me. There is definitely good shot composition within action scenes, but they always feel way to unreal for me. Some of that is absolutely on purpose, there has always been an un-cannyness to his work, but there's a lack of danger for me.

Things that I think are worth noting:

-- I think Snyder has a thing for presenting his superhero characters as neurologically atypical, and I really love that. The flashback to young Clark locking himself in the closet was a really clever and sweet moment of Man of Steel, and made perfect sense. I like that with Flash there isn't just a slowdown effect, but her really is taking the world in differently than other people.

-- I think the great football scene I was hearing about looks like a Gatorade commercial, but I think Cyborg is fantastic. Someone mentioned the idea of if Final Crisis was an inspiration for this. That particular comic ends with a character Nix Uaton--who is part of this cosmic race called the Monitors--becoming a sort of God of the Internet Age. Cyborg reminded me a lot of that. Final Crisis* is about Darkseid winning so I wouldn't be surprised if it's an influence. But more than that, I feel like this movie is most engaging when Cyborg's on screen. I think the ridiculousness of his his powers and how Snyder relies on broad tropes really clicked with me. I disagree so far with the idea that he's the protagonist, Batman literally is if he's not a particularly strong one. I feel like with his connection to the mother box and his powers, you really could have made Vic be the one who brings the team together.

-- There is a lot of black and white at the start of the film. You really get the idea of a world in mourning for Superman without having to be so literal, but you get the sense that this is a world losing hope. It's literally the age of darkness.

-- I like that Snyder is trying to play with the idea of what it means for there to be New Gods and am curious where it goes. It's interesting that Darkseid like the Kryptonians in Man of Steel are coded in.a way that makes them feel more ancient. I feel like between St. Paul Batman and Cyborg very much being the God of Post-Humanist society, there is something to the Justice League being the true New Gods, but we'll see. I didn't love the Age of Heroes scene personally though.

-- Writing is pretty clunky at times and there are some weird editing choices. Like there's weird moments like when Diana describes Aquaman as being a halfbreed because he can breathe on land, but Atlanteans can apparently all do that?

-- I can't deal with some of these music choices.

-- I can't gently caress with Ezra Miller

*Final Crisis is a comic event in which Superman kills Darkseid's ghost by singing at it and is also at one point forced to inscribe a tombstone for mankind with his heat vision by a space vampire. Like to be a dick, the Space Vampire gives Superman a tombstone and is like, "I'm killing all of humanity, write an inscription on this tombstone." And the last panel reveals Superman's inscription, "To Be Continued..." And it's great.

Darkseid becomes a ghost because Batman finds a gun with a God killing bullet and shoots him with it going like, "Like look man, I hate guns, but gently caress you." I feel like people who enjoy Snyder's stuff would dig it.

Anyway, excited to finish this insane movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arkage posted:

Some posts in this thread feel like they came from some alien planet and then very roughly translated into English.

The basic premise of the film is that, after Superman died for our sins, Bruce Wayne is dealing with all kinds of religious feelings that are not necessarily good (e.g. Catholic-style guilt).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

roffels posted:

Alright, we get the Clark Kent shirt-rip at the end in both this and the Whedon cut. I want to know the in-universe explanation explaining Clark Kent's return.

I figured the implication is maybe Clark and Lois move to Smallville, but then there's Clark, in the city, taking off his glasses.

In the comics, Batman had Waynetech build a fallout shelter under where the Doomsday fight happened. And a few weeks after Superman came back to life, cleanup crews "found" the fallout shelter where Clark Kent had been holed up the entire time that he fell into while covering the Doomsday battle.

Though in that case they hadn't buried his body(just superman's)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snyder's Justice League 3 should have ended the same way as final crisis but instead of the singing, Superman closes his eyes and flashes to growing up in Smallville, and the one person who most provided him love and security and reassurance. He opens his eyes and says one word that counter acts the antilife equation: Martha.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vince MechMahon posted:

Snyder's Justice League 3 should have ended the same way as final crisis but instead of the singing, Superman closes his eyes and flashes to growing up in Smallville, and the one person who most provided him love and security and reassurance. He opens his eyes and says one word that counter acts the antilife equation: Martha.

Make it parallel to Goku:

"Marthas of the world, lend me your power!"

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
"Marthas..."

*Grabs Mjölnir*

"Assemble."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mr. Apollo posted:

Superman just has to perform a super-lobotomy once in a while

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We clearly misunderstood Jo'nn's last line. He is actually the Marthan Manhunter.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ike, about to release his final smash

Superman: Save... Marth

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I want to see the series of events that leads The Joker to be part of the Justice League. Gimme that movie you loving teases.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, I watched the first half of it. Was thinking of watching the rest tonight, but my wife was actually having fun with it despite making fun of it. Like it's a two hour first act, but it's rarely not engaging.

It's definitely my favorite of his DC movies so far. But granted for me that's still a super low bar. I still can't really connect with his characters and the action just doesn't do it for me. There is definitely good shot composition within action scenes, but they always feel way to unreal for me. Some of that is absolutely on purpose, there has always been an un-cannyness to his work, but there's a lack of danger for me.

Things that I think are worth noting:

-- I think Snyder has a thing for presenting his superhero characters as neurologically atypical, and I really love that. The flashback to young Clark locking himself in the closet was a really clever and sweet moment of Man of Steel, and made perfect sense. I like that with Flash there isn't just a slowdown effect, but her really is taking the world in differently than other people.

-- I think the great football scene I was hearing about looks like a Gatorade commercial, but I think Cyborg is fantastic. Someone mentioned the idea of if Final Crisis was an inspiration for this. That particular comic ends with a character Nix Uaton--who is part of this cosmic race called the Monitors--becoming a sort of God of the Internet Age. Cyborg reminded me a lot of that. Final Crisis* is about Darkseid winning so I wouldn't be surprised if it's an influence. But more than that, I feel like this movie is most engaging when Cyborg's on screen. I think the ridiculousness of his his powers and how Snyder relies on broad tropes really clicked with me. I disagree so far with the idea that he's the protagonist, Batman literally is if he's not a particularly strong one. I feel like with his connection to the mother box and his powers, you really could have made Vic be the one who brings the team together.

-- There is a lot of black and white at the start of the film. You really get the idea of a world in mourning for Superman without having to be so literal, but you get the sense that this is a world losing hope. It's literally the age of darkness.

-- I like that Snyder is trying to play with the idea of what it means for there to be New Gods and am curious where it goes. It's interesting that Darkseid like the Kryptonians in Man of Steel are coded in.a way that makes them feel more ancient. I feel like between St. Paul Batman and Cyborg very much being the God of Post-Humanist society, there is something to the Justice League being the true New Gods, but we'll see. I didn't love the Age of Heroes scene personally though.

-- Writing is pretty clunky at times and there are some weird editing choices. Like there's weird moments like when Diana describes Aquaman as being a halfbreed because he can breathe on land, but Atlanteans can apparently all do that?

-- I can't deal with some of these music choices.

-- I can't gently caress with Ezra Miller

*Final Crisis is a comic event in which Superman kills Darkseid's ghost by singing at it and is also at one point forced to inscribe a tombstone for mankind with his heat vision by a space vampire. Like to be a dick, the Space Vampire gives Superman a tombstone and is like, "I'm killing all of humanity, write an inscription on this tombstone." And the last panel reveals Superman's inscription, "To Be Continued..." And it's great.

Darkseid becomes a ghost because Batman finds a gun with a God killing bullet and shoots him with it going like, "Like look man, I hate guns, but gently caress you." I feel like people who enjoy Snyder's stuff would dig it.

Anyway, excited to finish this insane movie.

Final Crisis is great but telling people who don't read a lot of comics to read it is a good way to make sure they never touch another comic

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Final Crisis is great but telling people who don't read a lot of comics to read it is a good way to make sure they never touch another comic

I got into superhero comics with Final Crisis, and the related Grant Morrison story arcs (Batman RIP, Seven Soliders, and so on). You might think a new reader would get annoyed with so many references they would not understand, but I didn't mind because I didn't expect to understand everything just jumping in there. Whereas longtime readers who expected it to be a direct sequel to Infinite Crisis were more baffled and angry.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had to read it twice and then again with annotations to fully get final crisis but it was worth it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Grant Morrison is cool in a very very specific way that relies on the audience to be 110% on board with what he's doing. Even his more standalone works (I am directly thinking of All Star Superman) require a lot of either background knowledge or comprehension skills.

Seaguy, a three issue comic, which I've read the first of, is like being dropped into the middle of a superhero / slice of life comic set in Bikini Bottom as explained by someone who's four hours more wasted than you at a party. You just have to take it frame by frame and just take what happens as it comes. It's like, advanced comicbook reading.

Batman RIP was rad, a take on "every batman story is true" was not something I thought could make sense.

We3 will always be cool though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kinda surprised they explicitly show superman getting annihilated by the unity explosion too, figured with how scared the motherboxes were of him it implied they couldn't do much against him.

Anyway, the scene of flash running backwards through time was amazing and worth the nearly ~4 hour runtime

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

The basic premise of the film is that, after Superman died for our sins, Bruce Wayne is dealing with all kinds of religious feelings that are not necessarily good (e.g. Catholic-style guilt).

What's most obvious is probably when he learns that the mother boxes can trigger a Resurrection (hence their name I guess, they can literally create life) and becomes desperate to make it happen

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lord Krangdar posted:

I got into superhero comics with Final Crisis, and the related Grant Morrison story arcs (Batman RIP, Seven Soliders, and so on). You might think a new reader would get annoyed with so many references they would not understand, but I didn't mind because I didn't expect to understand everything just jumping in there. Whereas longtime readers who expected it to be a direct sequel to Infinite Crisis were more baffled and angry.

It reminds me of the anecdote that Gail Simone told about getting into comics through a random issue of Justice League which mirrored my own experience. Honestly the idea of all this history and esoteric knowledge to discover can be a selling point.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

IDK, I got into Marvel comics by reading Earth X, I didn't really know who the gently caress anyone was but it was pretty tight.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

2house2fly posted:

What's most obvious is probably when he learns that the mother boxes can trigger a Resurrection (hence their name I guess, they can literally create life) and becomes desperate to make it happen

please refer to them by their proper name, marthacubes

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
is there any clue whose skeleton Superman is crying over in the alternate timeline?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Its Chocolate posted:

is there any clue whose skeleton Superman is crying over in the alternate timeline?

Yes, it’s Lois.

You can see Robin’s suit hanging in the background on the right so you know it’s in the Batcave. In the story boards that were released and in interviews that Snyder was given, he’s laid out the plot for JL 2 and 3. Superman takes Lois to the Batcave to hide with Bruce protecting her while the rest of the league goes off to fight the invasion. Darkseid boomtubes in to the Batcave and kills Lois with his Omega Beams. Superman arrives just in time to see her turning to ash. He’s then corrupted by the Anti-Life Equation.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 21, 2021

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Even more specifically, based on what Snyder has said about formerly planned Justice League sequels: it's Lois and her unborn baby

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Not gonna lie, I just find this style of snark loving exhausting no matter what the topic is.

you must hate this thread, then

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

2house2fly posted:

Even more specifically, based on what Snyder has said about formerly planned Justice League sequels: it's Lois and her unborn baby

so darkseid prepares loads and moves his armada to earth within 8.5 months of the end of JL? seems pretty fast, must be nearby

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Zack Snyder's Justice League presents a nightmare scenario where the rich guy from Prometheus succeeds.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ammanas posted:

so darkseid prepares loads and moves his armada to earth within 8.5 months of the end of JL? seems pretty fast, must be nearby

Probably would use whatever's the local equivalent of the Phantom Drive Jor-El used to send Clark to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Oh Jesus Snyder was unironically going to do the part of Injustice that literally everyone hated?