Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don’t understand why it took until 9/11 to harden the cockpit doors. As you note hijackings for monetary/political reasons were a common tactic and airline security/government types understood this, so why not just moot the whole thing by hardening the doors to begin with?

Because ransom hijackings with minimal to no loss of life don’t affect profitability. Boeing et al don’t lose enormous face due to lovely cockpit security until two thousand people die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yeah I don't know why anyone was critical of our country spinning up wars after an unprecedented attack!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I remember being in class on the wve of the Iraq kick off amd classmates insisting it would be a wrap in weeks and I was dead wrong it would be a quagmire. Sure wish I had been loving wrong!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Just imagine I posted the Grover Iraq predictions quote here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I usually follow funnytshirtemp for all my political science analysis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

I don’t understand why it took until 9/11 to harden the cockpit doors. As you note hijackings for monetary/political reasons were a common tactic and airline security/government types understood this, so why not just moot the whole thing by hardening the doors to begin with?

Because ransom hijackings generally left the flight crew alone. The goal was to actually fly the plane somewhere and land it safely. If the hijackers were going to start executing hostages, the pilots were in the least danger on the entire plane.

In hindsight yeah this is a stupid mindset but as mentioned this whole thing was pretty innovative.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Because as was mentioned no one was making security decisions with the thought in mind hijackers would use the plane as a weapon. Hardening the doors didn't have much point because they would have just opened the thing/flown where the hijackers wanted if they threatened to kill hostages. The whole training to fly the plane was rather novel as well, it wasn't like previous hijackers needed to get physical access to the controls because the SOP was to cooperate.

Cooperating and trying to get them later was the best way to prevent loss of life and that was really the only priority. After 9/11 the calculus changed and keeping a hijacker from getting control of the plane became the #1 priority, even if it meant everyone on the plane died.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

I remember being in class on the wve of the Iraq kick off amd classmates insisting it would be a wrap in weeks and I was dead wrong it would be a quagmire. Sure wish I had been loving wrong!

Well at least we learned a valuable lesson

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think you are all looking at things from a 2021 lens re: security because things were way way way way WAY loving different pre-9/11

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
It's 2021 and I'm kinda not liking the idea of fascism.

Can someone present me historical evidence in support or opposition of that?

TYIA

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

1939–1945

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

That single change- plane as a weapon, vs as a political tool, was an absolute game changer for Counterterrorism. I've been studying CT since I was in Middle School. I wrote a paper about UBL BEFORE 9/11 for a Current Events project. As soon as we knew it wasn't an accident, it was clear to see that the world had changed. Next time there is a major skyjacking, I'm going to bet money that there won't be any Lufthansa Rescue. I can't imagine any country is going to risk that after 9/11 regardless of what the demands are. Better image to the public to just down the thing, rather risk them trying anything over population. I'm not an expert, but that's my take on it after studying the subject. 9/11 was another Munich 72- the worm turned, and there ain't no going back.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

antimatt posted:

It's 2021 and I'm kinda not liking the idea of fascism.

Can someone present me historical evidence in support or opposition of that?

TYIA

here ya go:

Umberto Eco, Ur-Fascism

https://sites.evergreen.edu/politicalshakespeares/wp-content/uploads/sites/226/2015/12/Eco-urfascism.pdf

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

boop the snoot posted:

I think you are all looking at things from a 2021 lens re: security because things were way way way way WAY loving different pre-9/11

Lockerbie should have gotten a lot more attention than it did.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Steezo posted:

I’m still hazy because it happened when I was a kid and had no geopolitical understanding. But basically Lydian-backed terrorists shot down a jet liner over Scotland right? Is there anything worthwhile reading that goes into the whole thing?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Kazinsal posted:

Just imagine I posted the Grover Iraq predictions quote here.

Why imagine when you can have the real thing?

quote:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Isreal retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

We have to look at what those civilian casualties are- just because they're civilian doesn't make them innocent! Lets take a look at a few possibilities:

1) A civilian walking down the street to market gets killed by a cruise missile fired at the market.

2) A civilian asleep in their house is killed when their house is targetting by a smart bomb and blown up.

OK, these two are regrettable innocents being killed- but since the US doesn't make a habit of targetting markets or houses, they're very small in number!

3) A civilian working at a chemical weapon factory gets killed when the chemical weapon plant is bombed.

4) A civilian security guard at a weapons depot is killed when the weapons explode.

5) A civilian contractor repairing a tank is killed by a MOAB dropped on the unit.

6) A civilian engineer is killed when the military command center he works at is destroyed.

7) A civilian delivering snackiecakes to the baghdad bunker vending machines eats a 5,000lb bunker buster.

etc, etc. The list goes on. My point is that there are a lot of civilians directly supporting the military that aren't exactly "innocent" and would be mire rightly counted among the military casualties than civilian. I'm a civilian and work for the US military, but I acknowledge I'm also a valid military target because of what I do. And I think the vast majority of civilian casualties in this campaign will not be innocent.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Some of these I hadn't seen before https://twitter.com/lilydont/status/1373037031236849666?s=20

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Steezo posted:

Putting a door to the cockpit wouldn't have done much.

Edit: I was a kid at a USAF base in England at the time, and it got a gently caress TON of attention. Was it different in the States?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I was a real little kid when Lockerbie happened and it’s still one of those memories that stuck with me as one where my dad was glued to our 13” RCA TV. Pretty sure it was a big deal at the time.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Chuck Lorre (of Big Bang Theory fame, among others) is making a new sitcom. It's about an interpreter gaining asylum and moving in with a GWOT vet he worked with. It's also one of worst things I've ever seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/saeedtaji/status/1372949606204649483?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Brute Squad posted:

Chuck Lorre (of Big Bang Theory fame, among others) is making a new sitcom. It's about an interpreter gaining asylum and moving in with a GWOT vet he worked with. It's also one of worst things I've ever seen in my life.

:d2a:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Brute Squad posted:

This cannot be real

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

As long as it has a minute long speech at the end of each episode about how we abandoned the 99% of other interpreters to their fate.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

As long as it has a minute long speech at the end of each episode about how we abandoned the 99% of other interpreters to their fate.

I would also accept ""This show is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan" just before the credits.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brute Squad posted:

Whoo boy. That's a lot of cringe.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
It just occurred to me that those scenes were deemed so good that they were selected to represent the show in a TV trailer.

Yeesh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Brute Squad posted:

Christ

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Crab Dad posted:

No laugh track. No music. No jokes. Just deadeye staring at the camera telling the world how we failed them. Every week.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Brute Squad posted:

No laugh track. No music. No jokes. Just deadeye staring at the camera telling the world how we failed them. Every week.

its going to be chuck lorre laugh track bullshit tho so don't count on any self reflection of how hosed up a goddamn sitcom about a terp coming to america is

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Brute Squad posted:

This gigantic honking piece of poo poo of a TV show made me want to stab my eyes out and rip my eardrums out.

That looks so much loving worse than any of the poo poo Lorre has put out ever. Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon are all complete and utter poo poo meant for the dumbest loving people on the planet... but this is somehow even worse than those.

Also, shame on you, Dean Norris.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I personally hold Chuck Lorre responsible for the late 2000s downfall of network television.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

About a month or so ago, I decided to watch the first episode of the Big Bang Theory, because I'd never actually seen the show and figured I'd see what all the fuss was about (like a hundred years too late).

I was actually speechless for most of the episode. Not because I thought it wasn't funny (I'm kinda biased against shows with laugh tracks, so I wouldn't have been objective anyway), but...the content.

Like, did they try to check off a list of things that are not okay?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’ve seen very, very little BBT, and the one bit that “worked” was still just maybe approaching a chuckle but took about three minutes of pain and badness to get to.

And even then the “joke” was mostly that it just fuckin’ sucks to be around the main character at all.

BBT is one of those things that sucks but at least it was extremely easy to avoid, short of hearing “bazinga” sometimes, and at least some people who like... select outfits and hang lights got paid I guess.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Some Bazinga-compilation on the web, and a friend of mine having a bazinga shirt was pretty much my only connection to the show in the past. That and people constantly referencing it, like they do with How I met your mother or that Charlie Sheen show.
I'm guessing the latter is also chock-full of wholesome content.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm pretty sure that The Big Bang Theory, and bazinga guy in particular, resulted in millions of Americans thinking that all nerds are on the spectrum somewhere around the barely-functioning point.

IIRC other running gags over the decade or however long that show has been on are ha ha funny jew and ha ha indian guy deathly afraid of women so yeah Chuck Lorre should be tossed in a pit and forced to manually spellcheck episodes of Coronation Street for the rest of his natural life.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The only episode I've seen was where the girl met some attractive guy and couldn't understand the way he made her feel.

Then they stretched out what should have been a throwaway joke into an entire episode.

I haven't bothered watching any more of it thats my story thanks for reading.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The moat unironically funny result of BBT is that it caused some real dummies to coin the term “nerd blackface” to get mad about bad portrayal of nerds/grad students.

Somehow when there have been and are really bad representations of women, blue collar workers, American Indians, immigrants from all over the world, journalists, artists, etc, those groups managed to not call these portrayals “blackface.” Because they had a sense of of self-awareness.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

mlmp08 posted:

The moat unironically funny result of BBT is that it caused some real dummies to coin the term “nerd blackface” to get mad about bad portrayal of nerds/grad students.

Somehow when there have been and are really bad representations of women, blue collar workers, American Indians, immigrants from all over the world, journalists, artists, etc, those groups managed to not call these portrayals “blackface.” Because they had a sense of of self-awareness.

They're fine with all those though

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Whoo boy. That's a lot of cringe.

CBS sitcoms are all cringe all the time.

See last years' bomb: Broke.

quote:

Jackie, a single suburban mother, is shocked when her estranged sister, Elizabeth, her sister's outrageously wealthy, big-hearted husband, Javier, and Javier's fiercely loyal assistant/driver/friend, Luis, land on her doorstep in need of a place to live after the couple's money dries up. Though class differences may separate the women, and the size of the house and the number of people living in it will test the limits of family ties, the familial bond of sisterhood might be the catalyst they need to restore their relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The only good thing Lorre did was help drive Sheen crazy, and gave us that wonderful meltdown period.

I'm tired of pretending that I'm not a rockstar from Mars.
Adonis Blood, Tiger DNA.