Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

masterpine posted:

Big Hunt is pretty good. Pretty effortless way of re-stocking signals if you're a bit low not to mention some very easy coal, T8 camo's and ecap/fxp. About 1/3 games it seems you can extract with 10k after killing the main boss, even a loss isn't all that bad. I've been really burnt out on botes in general and this has been nice.

Hector and upgraded Heracles get a cool charge laser thing which is a hoot to use once you figure it out.

Did you buy all the coal/token packages for credits and/or freeXP? The discounted ones costing 1.5m Creds and 15k FXP and no-brainers, trying to decide if the full priced ones are worth it (7.5m/75k).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Zotix posted:

5 minutes left in a random battle. 2 battleships left on my team, 1 destroyer on the other team. The destroyer capped the second point, but they were still behind on points compared to us. Why did we lose? This game has some of the dumbest loving rules to whatever their modes are. I can see why I quit playing after beta.

Oh boy.

In standard battle (as opposed to the capture and hold mode which usually has three and four cap points) each team just has a base. If you lose your base you lose instantly.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

General Battuta posted:

Oh boy.

In standard battle (as opposed to the capture and hold mode which usually has three and four cap points) each team just has a base. If you lose your base you lose instantly.

yep, in standard battle if the base is capped the capping team immediately wins. The points are simply there to avoid a draw if the match goes to 20 minutes.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The Russian line was fun until the Izmail.

This game really shouldn't have +2 tiers. I'd rather wait 8-10 minutes for a match instead of playing against ships that just totally outclass you. Hell I had a match yesterday that went from t4-t7. Is the game really struggling that badly for players? Because it sure seems like it.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Zotix posted:

The Russian line was fun until the Izmail.

This game really shouldn't have +2 tiers. I'd rather wait 8-10 minutes for a match instead of playing against ships that just totally outclass you. Hell I had a match yesterday that went from t4-t7. Is the game really struggling that badly for players? Because it sure seems like it.

The Izmail, tier for tier, is maybe the second strongest Soviet BB after the Sinop. Sinop is unquestionably number 1 but number 2 is a toss-up between T8 Vladivostok or T6 Izmail, IMO.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

The Izmail, tier for tier, is maybe the second strongest Soviet BB after the Sinop. Sinop is unquestionably number 1 but number 2 is a toss-up between T8 Vladivostok or T6 Izmail, IMO.
But most matches I'm in at T6-8 because the bulk of the player base is in the higher tiers.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Every tier complains about MM except T8 & T9, it feels to me. T6 and 7 are probably the worst because of the difference the 5th mod slot (gained at T8) makes for concealment, so your T6/7 ships are often facing ships that have that mod.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

kaesarsosei posted:

Every tier complains about MM except T8 & T9, it feels to me. T6 and 7 are probably the worst because of the difference the 5th mod slot (gained at T8) makes for concealment, so your T6/7 ships are often facing ships that have that mod.

I complain the most when I play tier 8 and land in an almost exclusive tier 10 game. Mod slot or not, to me it seems that the power difference between a tier 8 and a tier 10 is greater than between a tier 6 and 8.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Ya, I don't really get the Izmail. 90% of the matches I'm in against t8, which out range me and most definitely out gun me. If they hit me, it's almost always a citadel. Sure the guns angle fairly well straight forward, but the boat doesn't have the front armor tanking like the Pyotr had. It's a very frustrating boat compared to say the Pyotr where I was regularly snagging 4 and 5 kills a match.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zotix posted:

Ya, I don't really get the Izmail. 90% of the matches I'm in against t8, which out range me and most definitely out gun me. If they hit me, it's almost always a citadel. Sure the guns angle fairly well straight forward, but the boat doesn't have the front armor tanking like the Pyotr had. It's a very frustrating boat compared to say the Pyotr where I was regularly snagging 4 and 5 kills a match.

I quite liked the Izmail, that said I got out of it in 18 battles with a 55% WR. I mean it's no Sinop but it is great. If I had to rank the Russian BBs I think I would go

Sinop
Sovetsky Soyuz
Vladivostock
Pytor Veilky
Izmail
Gangut

But they're all good. Not got the Kermlin yet so I'll see how that goes.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Aramoro posted:

I quite liked the Izmail, that said I got out of it in 18 battles with a 55% WR. I mean it's no Sinop but it is great. If I had to rank the Russian BBs I think I would go

Sinop
Sovetsky Soyuz
Vladivostock
Pytor Veilky
Izmail
Gangut

But they're all good. Not got the Kermlin yet so I'll see how that goes.

Actually I would closely agree with this except for the Soyuz - did not enjoy it at all. I would put it below Izmail and Izmail above Veilky.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

kaesarsosei posted:

Actually I would closely agree with this except for the Soyuz - did not enjoy it at all. I would put it below Izmail and Izmail above Veilky.

I think my opinion of the Soyuz is influenced a bit by the fact I'm doing pretty well in it in ranked. I'm a distinctly average player in it but I like how it feels. If I had to rank them with how well I did in them it would be

Pytor Veilky
Sinop
Izmail
Gangut
Sovetsky Soyuz
Vladivostock

But some of that is a function of being a relatively experienced player at lower tiers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I dislike the Veliky at the moment as I'm constantly playing against higher tier ships that have 3-5k range on me. It's very durable, but the moment you make any kind positioning mistake you just get ground down without any comeback

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Getting downtiered sucks most in battleships because you have the least ability to choose your fights.

On the other hand even a downtiered battleship can hurt uptier cruisers pretty good, as long as they're not totally bouncing your shells. If you're downtiered don't take fair fights, don't push in early, stay alive and conserve your HP. Once the initial clusterfuck is over you can start taking advantage of red mistakes.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

lmao, just played my first match of the day in this stupid ship again. T8 cruisers penetrating you, while your shells bounce. Solid gameplay experience.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Don't get in fights with higher-tier battleships. I know that sounds super patronizing and dumb but that really is the trick. Play careful until you know where the enemies are, position yourself so you don't get in 1v1 trades against the T8s. Enjoy getting loads of XP for killing higher-tier cruisers in one of the best battleships in the game.

e: like think about it this way, those T8s are facing T10s half their matches and I guarantee you they're still finding ways to do well.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's really easy to feel like "xyz mechanic made this fight impossible" (radar, overmatch, getting HE spammed to death) but in almost every case there are choices you could've made earlier to avoid taking the fight.

Except for carriers, there is no choice to avoid carriers.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just unlocked the tier 4 Russian BB and I think I have had more fun with it than any other BB

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Zotix posted:

lmao, just played my first match of the day in this stupid ship again. T8 cruisers penetrating you, while your shells bounce. Solid gameplay experience.

I will say this; the Izmail armor scheme is really inconsistent. At very close ranges you are tanky nose-in, but the casemate shapes on the upper hull make you catch long-range shells for massive damage; I was angled 15 degrees to a colorado at 16km and ate 30k damage once, for example. But it does have decent concealment (for a BB) and a very large broadside. As a bottom-tier ship, play it safe at first, let people beat themselves up and position yourself before going and engaging cruisers and BBs in extended battles.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
wg might buff cvs, but cv players will always find a way to be bigger idiots

The FDR in this game decided to push right up on the island that almost always sees a flanking attempt, then proceeded to burn basically all his planes trying to stop the ships doing the flanking before they had separated out from the spawn blob. Peeked around the corner and burned him the gently caress down for first blood :lol:

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

this game has zero match making in random battle right? It only tries to make teams balance in terms of composition right? Like there's zero effort to balance on skill, or progression of account or anything like that right?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yuuup.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
The only slight mitigation to Random Battle MM poo poo-show is that at least these days Ranked is available almost permanently.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

It doesn't even look to balance things like radars, caliber of BB's, smoke dd's.... anything. It just grabs whatevers there and throws it into a pile. For shits and giggles I suggest installing matchmaking monitor at least for a little bit so you can stare in horror at some of the team mixes you'll get. It's also very useful as a tool for predicting what people you're shooting at are likely to do. As an example I'm not going to account for a BB to turn-out in response to me firing if they're a sub 40%WR.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Holy poo poo the upper tiers as a downranked BB are awful. Going against cruisers that actually can bounce your shells while having longer range is literally the most l o loving l game design I've ever seen in 25 years of online gaming.

Also having limited time ships is pretty awful design as well. I get it, people paid money years ago. But when I look up a ship that I've never seen before and and this is what is listed:

Second highest AP alpha in the game.
Outstanding shell dispersion.
Quick reload. Accurate fast secondary batteries.
Very good AA. W'

And then I look and it's like "LOL j/k u can't get this ship any more." We're not talking about time limited cosmetics. We're talking about actual P2W in full effect mechanics that people can miss out on and never get access to.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Zotix posted:

Holy poo poo the upper tiers as a downranked BB are awful. Going against cruisers that actually can bounce your shells while having longer range is literally the most l o loving l game design I've ever seen in 25 years of online gaming.

Also having limited time ships is pretty awful design as well. I get it, people paid money years ago. But when I look up a ship that I've never seen before and and this is what is listed:

Second highest AP alpha in the game.
Outstanding shell dispersion.
Quick reload. Accurate fast secondary batteries.
Very good AA. W'

And then I look and it's like "LOL j/k u can't get this ship any more." We're not talking about time limited cosmetics. We're talking about actual P2W in full effect mechanics that people can miss out on and never get access to.

Try firing HE shells. Like I know BB have huge AP shells and thats great an all but if you're bouncing then it doesn't matter. Switch to HE and you'll do decent damage up tiers.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Try firing HE shells. Like I know BB have huge AP shells and thats great an all but if you're bouncing then it doesn't matter. Switch to HE and you'll do decent damage up tiers.

I do, routinely. It's literally all i can use to deal damage to anything. But it's also super cool hitting BB's for 1500 damage, not lighting them on fire and they return a salvo with AP and penetrate even through the front. Aim at the waterline, shells fall short. Aim slightly higher and shells overshoot. I've even seen times where I shoot and shells fall like 2.5-3km short for no reason. It's not often, but it's definitely a WTF moment when it happens. Going from 3-5 kills in T5 to the stupidity of T7-9 just is jarring and sapping of any enjoyment.

I don't know the game just isn't fun at all over say tier 5 to be honest. The majority of the ships in 6-8 that aren't premium just seem like an absolute slog designed to get people to pay money to get past that wall. I'm sure there's a few decent ones here and there, but over all the game has lost a lot of it's fun the further up I seem to go.

I really don't think this game will be around in a year and a half and I'm not even sure why I picked it up other than a quick game to play between phone calls at work. It struggles to find players half the time in <T7 matches, and every where you look in the game it's screaming for money at obscene prices.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 23, 2021

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Here are some T7 tech-tree ships that stand up very well today against any premium:

King George V - leave your conscience at the door and spam HE in this thing and its probably the second strongest T7 BB, behind:
Sinop - the best T7 BB in the game

Gadjah Mada - I can't put my finger on it, but this ship is a lot better than it looks on paper. And it's not just me, I think I read it has one of the highest tech-tree win rates in the game.
Akatsuki - I *think* this has the highest torpedo DPM in the entire game? Either way, if you like torping things this is great.

Fiji - this is a monster of a ship. The Belfast was banned because it was too OP but in many situations the Fiji is as good if not better. I don't want to sound condescending but if you can play through the RN CL line and make them work, it will 100% make you a better player of the game.

I wanted to give 2 cruisers but while there are some reasonable ships, nothing else really stands out. But from those 5 ships above, I can't think of any equivalent premiums that make them seem bad.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

kaesarsosei posted:

Here are some T7 tech-tree ships that stand up very well today against any premium:

King George V - leave your conscience at the door and spam HE in this thing and its probably the second strongest T7 BB, behind:
Sinop - the best T7 BB in the game

Gadjah Mada - I can't put my finger on it, but this ship is a lot better than it looks on paper. And it's not just me, I think I read it has one of the highest tech-tree win rates in the game.
Akatsuki - I *think* this has the highest torpedo DPM in the entire game? Either way, if you like torping things this is great.

Fiji - this is a monster of a ship. The Belfast was banned because it was too OP but in many situations the Fiji is as good if not better. I don't want to sound condescending but if you can play through the RN CL line and make them work, it will 100% make you a better player of the game.

I wanted to give 2 cruisers but while there are some reasonable ships, nothing else really stands out. But from those 5 ships above, I can't think of any equivalent premiums that make them seem bad.

Gadja is really good. It’s got excellent conceal and gun DPM at tier 7, plus Pan Asian smokes. The only weakness is the deep waters but it’s a gunboat so who cares. Akatsuki is solid, with shockingly good gun DPM at tier 7 for an IJN ship, the triple torps let you do some great spreads, but it isn’t stealthy at all.

Really though I’d rate all the tier 7 dds pretty highly. Minsk and Leningrad are hilarious as 50+ knot HE spammers, Shiratsuyu is really stealthy even if it has negative guns, the German one is probably solid to great with the improved penetration, and I think the French and British tier 7s are the first that actually feel good too.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
I really like the Fiji. Also shout out to the Edinburgh at t8 which has radar and is goddamn hilarious if you play it as an oversized destroyer. It's absolutely not for everyone, and you will occasionally get citted bow on, but I love it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Velius posted:

Gadja is really good. It’s got excellent conceal and gun DPM at tier 7, plus Pan Asian smokes. The only weakness is the deep waters but it’s a gunboat so who cares. Akatsuki is solid, with shockingly good gun DPM at tier 7 for an IJN ship, the triple torps let you do some great spreads, but it isn’t stealthy at all.

Really though I’d rate all the tier 7 dds pretty highly. Minsk and Leningrad are hilarious as 50+ knot HE spammers, Shiratsuyu is really stealthy even if it has negative guns, the German one is probably solid to great with the improved penetration, and I think the French and British tier 7s are the first that actually feel good too.

Gadjah and Jervis are the same ship, except Jervis gets superior RN smokes, RN acceleration, normal torps, and hydro, for 180m less base concealment.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Gadjah and Jervis are the same ship, except Jervis gets superior RN smokes, RN acceleration, normal torps, and hydro, for 180m less base concealment.

Gadja Madha I think has better torp reload and better gun angles; you can nose in and fire all 6 guns showing very little profile.

While I like RN smokes, Pan Asian smokes last long enough to do a lot (firing from smoke, waiting out a CV, etc) and your time between smokes is like...25 seconds.

Both are good DDs, but I like Gadja more.

The only tier 7 DDs I don't love is the Mahan and the Blys because of their high detection. Both are really victims of power creep.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Blindeye posted:

The only tier 7 DDs I don't love is the Mahan and the Blys because of their high detection. Both are really victims of power creep.

Yeah. I judge DDs almost entirely on detection. I can make slow, bad torps or bad guns work, I can't make losing the detection battle work

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Yeah. I judge DDs almost entirely on detection. I can make slow, bad torps or bad guns work, I can't make losing the detection battle work

It takes one of: Radar, overwhelming gun superiority, overwhelming speed, or smoke/offensive hydro. Minsk and Leningrad aren’t stealthy at all, for example, but they shouldn’t be anywhere near caps, they should be burning battleships at 55 knots. The only dds I actively dislike are the ones that have slow speed and mediocre gun/torpedo options, which means a bunch of the tier 5/6ers. Especially the British ones.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zotix posted:

I really don't think this game will be around in a year and a half and I'm not even sure why I picked it up other than a quick game to play between phone calls at work. It struggles to find players half the time in <T7 matches, and every where you look in the game it's screaming for money at obscene prices.

This is a particularly hot take.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zotix posted:

I do, routinely. It's literally all i can use to deal damage to anything. But it's also super cool hitting BB's for 1500 damage, not lighting them on fire and they return a salvo with AP and penetrate even through the front. Aim at the waterline, shells fall short. Aim slightly higher and shells overshoot. I've even seen times where I shoot and shells fall like 2.5-3km short for no reason. It's not often, but it's definitely a WTF moment when it happens. Going from 3-5 kills in T5 to the stupidity of T7-9 just is jarring and sapping of any enjoyment.

I don't know the game just isn't fun at all over say tier 5 to be honest. The majority of the ships in 6-8 that aren't premium just seem like an absolute slog designed to get people to pay money to get past that wall. I'm sure there's a few decent ones here and there, but over all the game has lost a lot of it's fun the further up I seem to go.

Stop playing if you’re not enjoying it. A bunch of stuff you think is wrong but if you don’t think think you’ll have fun learning the game then stop.

The reason the game got harder when you tiered up is you’re playing against real people now. Do you honestly expect to get 5 kills a match in a competitive multiplayer game with 24 players all competing for kills? Basic logic says that if you’re an average player you should be averaging about one kill a match and that’s going to include some matches where you get none.

If you need to kill everything easily stick to coop.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 23, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Also the only thing you really need to spend money on is premium time. There are a ton of good ships available for coal, steel, FXP or regular old tech tree research.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Zotix posted:

This game is marketed as "the thinking man's action game" but in reality it's "the patient man's action game". Firstly, it takes literally several thousand random games before most players start to get a really in depth understanding of positioning, the flow of battles, where to put themselves to potentially carry games, what lost causes look like, what sure wins look like, how to estimate what hp trades will happen based on matchups etc. So firstly, you need to be patient just in terms of getting your own set of experiences to help you with those things. Secondly though, in most matches that end poorly, patience would have served the player well. In many games that I have ended up carrying, I did nearly "nothing" toward the beginning. What I did do was move toward areas I think I can have influence in, and then react accordingly. The earlier in the match, the less willing I am to trade hp for almost anything. Then, the later the match gets, the more options I have to apply myself to areas that need it. Want to carry in a Minotaur? Live with most of your hp until late game, where you can then arrange a number of 1v1 engagements where you are fantastically favored.

Be patient.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Mahan is overpowered, it doesn't have good concealment but you don't exactly need it with tier 9 guns at tier 7. It's a Flint but in exchange for losing some dpm you have no citadel, and 7 km concealment so you can smoke close to people instead of having to smoke 11 km away and look like an idiot when they turn around 30 seconds into your 2 minute smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

James Garfield posted:

Mahan is overpowered, it doesn't have good concealment but you don't exactly need it with tier 9 guns at tier 7. It's a Flint but in exchange for losing some dpm you have no citadel, and 7 km concealment so you can smoke close to people instead of having to smoke 11 km away and look like an idiot when they turn around 30 seconds into your 2 minute smoke.

It has 5 127mm guns, let's not get carried away. They have a DPM advantage at very close range but will lose to even an Akatsuki that kites away (as noted it had good gun alpha and DPM) and a Minsk (again if it kites away). You don't have as many opportunities with the prevalence of radar to smoke fire for long periods of time; USN smokes almost last too long and have very long cooldowns which make them less useful than RN and PA smokes. Your gun DPM isn't that much higher than the Lightning but the lightning will have a heal and hydro, and your torps, while okay, require getting closer than you'd like to. Plus it's a bigger target in size.

It's...fine. Much more situational than other DDs I'd say.