Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I think people are assuming that Ospreay would have suggested it: there's no evidence for that really. Either way your ire should primarily be aimed at the promotion mainly because they either suggested this great idea to get rid of Bea or they OKd it and both are equally bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I used the link somebody posted earlier and said I thought the story they presented was unpleasant and not something I want to see when watching NJPW.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Seams posted:

I used the link somebody posted earlier and said I thought the story they presented was unpleasant and not something I want to see when watching NJPW.

Same.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Seams posted:

The person who originally posted it is almost certainly correct that they won't care, but I also did. I just said that I was already pretty underwhelmed with seeing Will already, that this makes it more bothersome to see him, and that it's hard for me to imagine Zima appreciating someone celebrating breaking up with their girlfriend via violence and then toasting to the single life with Zima.

NJPW is the last wrestling site that I didn't decide to unsub to for non-wrestling reasons*, and the one that I previously felt had the best product. I think that I'm going to unsub for a bit. Being entirely honest, the angle is not the only reason. While there have been some great matches, their overall product hasn't been appealing to me as much, so that makes the decision to take a break a fair amount easier than it would have been between 2015 and 2019. If they haven't done something else mind-numbingly stupid by then, I will probably come back for the G1.

*Maybe I should do the DDT thing for awhile, since it'll get me TJPW too, iirc, who I have heard people rave about.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

IceAgeComing posted:

I think people are assuming that Ospreay would have suggested it: there's no evidence for that really. Either way your ire should primarily be aimed at the promotion mainly because they either suggested this great idea to get rid of Bea or they OKd it and both are equally bad.

This is my thought as well. I think it's easy to assume Ospreay did a bad thing because he's a piece of poo poo for the other stuff he did in the Britwres scene. But as far as as the angle goes, I blame NJPW since they control the content.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't know who came up with this and honestly I don't much care, rather I'm putting the lion's share of blame on the office for not spotting the incredibly blatant bad idea at any point from its conception to its implementation. It's their goddamn job to prevent this kind of poo poo from happening, and they completely dropped the ball.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If the vets being mad thing is true then perhaps they should try running their booking ideas through more people instead of keeping it between Gedo, the biggest idiot on the planet, his girlfriend, a bizarre otaku and Jeff Cobb.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I don't think I'm seeing the controversy as much as some people but it really doesn't matter because even in a vacuum what a dogshit awful angle. Just stupid as hell.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Like it would be so easy to book this without the physical altercation. Have Bea almost lose the match for Will due to a fuckup, then Will just kicks her to the curb post match. He can cut the exact same promo about loving the idea of being the best more than he loves Bea but now he has an actual reason to dump her and it’s not just “he’s a psycho lol”. He still looks like an rear end in a top hat, Bea looks sympathetic and there’s no need for the physical stuff.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
So is it the fact that she's his storyline girlfriend that's the controversy here? Because Randy Orton RKO'd Alexa Bliss a few weeks ago and I've heard nothing in the way of anyone pissed at the angle.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Stall_19 posted:

So is it the fact that she's his storyline girlfriend that's the controversy here? Because Randy Orton RKO'd Alexa Bliss a few weeks ago and I've heard nothing in the way of anyone pissed at the angle.

That's normal for WWE. I don't think I've ever seen a woman bump in NJPW ever. Even Miho Abe just gets terrorized, but never hit with anything.

EDIT: also someone mentioned DDT/TJPW and imo they're the perfect palate cleansers for whatever the gently caress this promotion has become

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stall_19 posted:

As far as I know she's his actual girlfriend, so there's that and also the fact that it came out of nowhere and makes no sense at all. At least Alexa and Randy were on opposite sides of a feud, whereas this was the equivalent of some b-movie villain randomly killing someone on his own team just to show how evil he is.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I can't imagine her being his actual girlfriend matters much. They're both wrestlers, he did a wrestling move on her and she sold it. Besides he already wrestled her last year

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Stall_19 posted:

I can't imagine her being his actual girlfriend matters much. They're both wrestlers, he did a wrestling move on her and she sold it. Besides he already wrestled her last year

The majority of New Japan viewers wouldn't even know that match existed

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I haven't watched New Japan in about 5 months, both from a combination of not being terribly interested in the big storylines as well as just not being in a wrestling mood, and uh... not to be a smug prick about it but I kind of feel vindicated about that after hearing what happened.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Lily Catts posted:

That's normal for WWE. I don't think I've ever seen a woman bump in NJPW ever. Even Miho Abe just gets terrorized, but never hit with anything.

Not really..? WWE doesn't usually have the men do moves on women in quite a while and the rare times it's happened it always been portrayed as an accident.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stall_19 posted:

Right, well then that just leaves the small detail of this poo poo making no sense at all and making everybody involved look real stupid and bad for no reason.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

not to be a smug prick about it but I kind of feel vindicated

Me after abandoning ship over the Marty stuff and randomly seeing this awful poo poo discussed on the timeline barely a week or so later

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Stall_19 posted:

OK, I'll try and sum up what it is I dislike about this angle beyond just it not being a good angle, and how I think it differs from Orton RKOing Bliss.

First of all, Priestley isn't in an angle with Ospreay. She was there as a team member. She wasn't an antagonist in an angle or otherwise providing provocation. The attack came out of nowhere as unprovoked aggression.

Second of all, this isn't starting an angle with Ospreay that will result in a match, because New Japan doesn't have women's matches. Priestley is, in the context of New Japan, a civilian rather than a competitor. She fills other roles in other places, but not here. They even play up her civilian status earlier in the match by having Shingo stop a dive to the outside where he would hit Priestley, something he definitely wouldn't have done with, for example, Cobb.

Thirdly, this is an intimate partner, and portraying man to woman intimate partner violence for heat hits a particular revulsion in me. There are better ways of showing that Ospreay is a heel.

Last of all, and this was the clincher for me, Bea was incidental to the violence that took place towards her. The target of Ospreay's actions was Kota Ibushi. Ospreay was hurting a woman to make a point to a man, meaning that Bea was the third most important person in the pain she received. That's a sort of dismissiveness I find it hard to resolve. Would I still have hated this if the attack on Priestley was about Priestley? Probably, but it would at least have been part of a story where she was a main character

Basically Priestley had no agency, was presented as a victim, and was ultimately a disposable part of the violence against her. Is my stance on it anyway.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Lamuella posted:

OK, I'll try and sum up what it is I dislike about this angle beyond just it not being a good angle, and how I think it differs from Orton RKOing Bliss.

First of all, Priestley isn't in an angle with Ospreay. She was there as a team member. She wasn't an antagonist in an angle or otherwise providing provocation. The attack came out of nowhere as unprovoked aggression.

Second of all, this isn't starting an angle with Ospreay that will result in a match, because New Japan doesn't have women's matches. Priestley is, in the context of New Japan, a civilian rather than a competitor. She fills other roles in other places, but not here. They even play up her civilian status earlier in the match by having Shingo stop a dive to the outside where he would hit Priestley, something he definitely wouldn't have done with, for example, Cobb.

Thirdly, this is an intimate partner, and portraying man to woman intimate partner violence for heat hits a particular revulsion in me. There are better ways of showing that Ospreay is a heel.

Last of all, and this was the clincher for me, Bea was incidental to the violence that took place towards her. The target of Ospreay's actions was Kota Ibushi. Ospreay was hurting a woman to make a point to a man, meaning that Bea was the third most important person in the pain she received. That's a sort of dismissiveness I find it hard to resolve. Would I still have hated this if the attack on Priestley was about Priestley? Probably, but it would at least have been part of a story where she was a main character

Basically Priestley had no agency, was presented as a victim, and was ultimately a disposable part of the violence against her. Is my stance on it anyway.

Okay thank you, that all makes sense. I guess the wwe angle is soo far out there with Bliss being a witch/possibly possessed by Bray Wyatt that it has no basis in reality makes the comparison meaningless.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I went into the match sure that Ospreay would win, but the poo poo Shingo went through and his little interactions with Ibushi maybe me think otherwise. The end result was extra disappointing, especially with the stupid post match.

Shingo has put together a case for wrestler of the year three months in, which is impressive. Hopefully he stays healthy and keeps getting high profile matches.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Shingo beat Okada, KENTA and EVIL on his way to the finals, so they clearly see him as a main eventer, as they should.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I will be interested to see how he does in the G1 this year. If he's able to be a match machine like he has in this tournament that will show real confidence.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Other than Okada last year, the NJPW Cup runner up has been getting a title shot at Dontaku in recent years

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Stall_19 posted:

Not really..? WWE doesn't usually have the men do moves on women in quite a while and the rare times it's happened it always been portrayed as an accident.

they've done it the last 3 years at least in my memory. though in less random situations as has been outlined. corbin attacking Becky Lynch in that intergender match in iirc 2019, and i randy RKOing beth phoenix during the edge feud last year.

I recall both getting some amount of discussion among at least that fanbase, enough that I knew they happened without seeing the shows live or whatever.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

No one gets upset about WWE cuz no one watches it, cuz it is horrible. DDT presents more of a legit pro-wrestling show than WWE.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

SLUM KING posted:

No one gets upset about WWE cuz no one watches it, cuz it is horrible. DDT presents more of a legit pro-wrestling show than WWE.

i was just talking about the post op calm down we all agree

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

This is absolutely right btw. If you thought you were gonna be able to compartmentalize the fucker's match quality away from who he is and what he's done, go ahead and consider this your wake-up call. He's not going to let you do it. He's going to shove who he is and what he's done in your face over and over because he thinks it makes him an effective heel. And the office is going to let him get away with it because he makes them money.

btw, the vet was definitely Liger.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Stall_19 posted:

Storyline and real life girlfriend. It's a simulated act of violence against a domestic partner. The other issue is that Ospreay is a real life poo poo head who has either been complicit in or actively participated in abusive behavior. So real life abuser, playing at abuse on the TV program I watch, I dunno it doesn't sit right with me.

RKO and Alexa Bill is a different scenario. Number 1, WWE is already a cartoon overall. Number 2, Bliss has superpowers in the storyline. They aren't the same thing, even though you can describe both as "giving a cutter to a woman." There are scenes in She-Ra and scenes in GoT that can both be described as "swinging a sword" but they are qualitatively very different.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I haven't seen it but its the context here that seems to be driving the responses - honestly if Will had just opened with cuttering Bea and THEN went into his villain speech i think people would've responded more jesys what a monster selfish prick.

Instead from what i can tell this was built up woth some inherent "i only hurt you because i love you" preamble which made everyone skeeved out already before the cutter. When the cutter did happen it felt really gross given the context.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
it was loving weird, i watched it like 2 hours after it happened and was driftingback to sleep during his promo. it kind of made no sense and was tough to process

i was thinking i would have had him kind of sacrifice her during the match, like have her take a bump aimed at him by shingo and then win because of it. then he could be like idec i won bitch. just kind of punching her or whatever he did seemed real pointless. like dude these valets dont grow on trees and dont u need all the support u can get

e: i missed that it was a cutter but that doesnt change much

take the moon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 21, 2021

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Stall_19 posted:

A British women's wrestler, Pollyanna, credibly accused Scott Wainwright of assaulting her. Ospreay blackballed her because of those accusations against Wainwright, a friend of his. This is a very significant controversy that has followed Ospreay around for the last year, so him literally attacking Bea Priestly because he cares about wrestling more than her, is pretty loving on the nose in the worst way possible.

Also, I'm gonna be blunt here, who gives a gently caress what WWE does. They're a trash company that does nothing but trash. There was no controversy around Orton RKOing Alexa Bliss because it's like the 117th most horrible thing that company has done in the last year. NJPW is supposed to actually have standards.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Procrastinator posted:

i was just talking about the post op calm down we all agree

Sorry I meant to reply to Dr Doom

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
yea njpw is supposed to be my haven from all the kidnapping, sex assault, abuse angles in wrestling so that makes it p disappointing

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Lid posted:

Instead from what i can tell this was built up woth some inherent "i only hurt you because i love you" preamble which made everyone skeeved out already before the cutter. When the cutter did happen it felt really gross given the context.

tbf i dont think that was the logic at all. you would have to be real out of touch to say something like that. it was hard to pay attention cuz honestly it was a real boring promo tho

it was like, i like winning more than i like my gf logic which was still extremely nonsensical

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Lid posted:

I haven't seen it but its the context here that seems to be driving the responses - honestly if Will had just opened with cuttering Bea and THEN went into his villain speech i think people would've responded more jesys what a monster selfish prick.

i thought the post match was goofy and stupid. it did look like to me that the intent was Ospreay was willing to sacrifice anything and anyone to get the championship including bea. his marblemouthing though and the timing made it look bad for sure, but i dont think its meant to come across as a dometic abuse angle. smashing the new japan cup itself probably would have been way more effective to accomplish the same point.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What were the can't miss matches of the tournament?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

TTBF posted:

will ospreay vs shingo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TTBF posted:

Off the top of my head I'd say something like Shingo/Okada, Shingo/Goto, Ishii/SANADA, ZSJ/Ospreay, Ospreay/Finlay and the finals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

finlay/white is also worth it for the end